PDA

View Full Version : Lace Sensor pickups, which has the most jangle?

Rena Rune
05-29-2011, 08:39 PM
May be getting a Strat-ish guitar at some stage, but don't really want the typical strat sound. I'd like something pretty jangly, like a Rickenbacker almost. I like the idea of Lace Sensors as they seem to give you a lot of different tones in a strat sized pickup.

Which is the best for a jangly kind of sound? It's hard to find good clips.

monwobobbo
05-29-2011, 08:45 PM
don't think you'll get the sound you want from LS. love mine but they tend to be variations on the strat sound.

outlawyer
05-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Love mine too, but jangly isn't the word I'd use, either. Marimba-like, chiming, shimmering...those are closer to how mine sound. I like the blue, red, and silver setup at the moment.

Tone_Terrific
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Jangliest is probably the Gold and it's more of a step towards a fatter strat sound than classic strat, imo.

gulliver
05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Jangliest is probably the Gold and it's more of a step towards a fatter strat sound than classic strat, imo.

Hmmm ... I had a Gold, to me it was very bright, not phat. had more of a metallic thing than a chimmy thing IMHO, didn't care for it. Had a few others in a Strat Plus as well, I'm not a huge fan but can understand the interest.

stvnscott
05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Golds are the closest to classic single coils, but not quite the same. I rather like them for what they are.

Tone_Terrific
05-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Hmmm ... I had a Gold, to me it was very bright, not phat. had more of a metallic thing than a chimmy thing IMHO, didn't care for it. Had a few others in a Strat Plus as well, I'm not a huge fan but can understand the interest.

You could put it that way, too.
Diminished highs (not dull) with a bit more of an upper mid peak.
That's toward fatter, to me. (not bassy fat, phat, though)

mikeller
06-01-2011, 04:57 AM
I think the hot golds would fit that bill the best. To me they have a little more sparkle than the original golds

Average Joe
06-01-2011, 05:29 AM
imho an important aspect of getting jangle from a strat is to set up the swithing to get you neck + bridge. I have a parts build with a LS silver at the neck and a red at the bridge. Those shouldn't jangle but together they do

9fingers
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I have & like several Lace Sensors, but I would not call any of them a good choice for "jangle". They tend more toward smooth & "flutey" to me.
Lipsticks, now there is some jangle in a SC pickup!

jtm622
06-01-2011, 10:52 AM
I've got 5 Strats - with a mixture of Gold, Silver, Red and Blue Lace Sensors...
Trust me here, If you're looking for a CLASSIC Strat sound - the regular old "GOLD" Lace Sensors are what you want... All of the other "colors" are TOO HOT...

:)

Dave Wakely
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm a LS fan (I know it's not always cool here), but have to agree - they're not jangletastic. They're not meant to be. Having put a set of lipsticks in a Strat, neither are they either - very even and balanced, actually. Try Bare Knuckle Apaches (very Hank) and CS69s (the set I've just replaced with Mini Tri-sonics were very bright: not my thing at all, but they certainly jangled. Toothgrindly so from my perspective, but I'd be happier with Charlie Christians, so my preferences are obviously not yours!)

solitaire
06-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I would say most jangle is found in the TranSensor pickups, perhaps more so the Alumitone SCs. Hit them hard and they'll respond in a very brassy way. Very much like active pickups but then very sensitive to your picking.