PDA

View Full Version : Car dealer guys.... black book and actual trade value??

cap217
06-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I might trade in my 07 fusion sel v6 76k miles for a new lease. Its worth 8300-10200 when I use the dealers black book online. Kbb value is a bit more. Id say its worth 10k and I owe 6k.

How do dealers use black book? And is it accurate? What can I expect with a trade?

Travst
06-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Dealers normally use an online service that produces more up-to-date and specific regional pricing than the black books. It's so specific that it'll rank popular colors, etc. In addition, for rarer cars, they'll call the auction guys they deal with to get their input.

cap217
06-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Pm me if needed.

ACfixer
06-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Pm me if needed.

Expect them to offer about 60%-70% of what it would sell for retail, depending on a few details as Travst brought up in his post.

If you bring those book values in they'll laugh at you and say, "the market is really soft right now on Ford Fusions, we never pay book".

cap217
06-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I understand kbb values but I thought black book would be more accurate. Its a service on their site. So when they kick out a number I wouldn't think it would be too inflated. They would lose business if a car came in at 10k and they offered 5k.

bigdaddy
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Black Book is a joke. I have worked in 'ships across the country and have never seen it used. When my customers brought it up I used to punch in my old Jeep with 250k on it. That site said it was worth $4k. It was a $50 car, at best.

Where are you? If there is a CarMax there, go get it appraised there. They will write you a check for the car at their appraised value. You can use this to compare it at the dealer where you are shopping.

jkbird59
06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
between 8 and 10 thousand is the right number according to mmr which is the dealer auction data base.

cap217
06-06-2011, 10:32 AM
No carmart here... in cleveland.

I know kbb is a joke but I don't know if bb is accurate... meaning do I have the same #s the dealership gets. I am hoping for 9k so I think im fair.

sixstring531
06-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I take the three KBB values, derive some kind of an average, compare it to craigslist, cars.com, autotrader.com values...etc and come up with a number I feel comfortable with. I figure most of the public (the buyers) uses these public sites to value their autos, so if a dealer won't give me that value or something commiserate in a trade value or sale, then I go to another dealer.

I tend to get a value I am comfortable with before going to any purchase/sale situation. I am frank and say if this, then this.....kind of the straight up approach. I like haggling, but I figure I cut most of the bull by setting my own researched value before hitting the pavement. (I'm not saying I immediately tell them what I want to pay - as I am a salesman - but I will never take less than my value or pay more than my value) I've bought and sold both cars and boats and feel extremely satisified with all sales/purchases I have made - and I've never been an a-hole about it.

cap217
06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I go in with an offer ready... sometimes buying sight unseen (cpo)

bigdaddy
06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
No carmart here... in cleveland.

I know kbb is a joke but I don't know if bb is accurate... meaning do I have the same #s the dealership gets. I am hoping for 9k so I think im fair.

You got it backwards. Black Book is a joke. KBB is rather accurate if you are honest about the car. Hint: it's not in "great" condition.

jkbird59 posted an MMR range for you. This is based on actual sales to actual dealers at actual auctions. IOW, it is the real deal. If you car is average on condition and miles, the 9k isn't far off.

/thread

jrjones
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Use NADA not blue book.

Mr. Kite
06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
nada clean loan.....10925
miles......................775-
total.....................10150
Then subtract dents dings, tires, windshield, etc.....
Add ..........300 aluminum wheels
................350 audiophile stereo
................450 leather seats
................550 navigation
................600 pwr sun roof
................100 theft recovery
................600 deduct w/o automatic trans.

vashuba
06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
i wouldnt trade a car in for a lease. your gonna be paying monthly for the lease and never will own the thing. my 2cents as far as value, depending on what your looking to get and how much room they have to work with price wise, they may give you more for the trade but make the money somewhere else. they might not lower thier price as much but give you the higher trade value

SLBlues
06-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Most dealers go by the local or regional auction(s) and what the local wholesalers are willing to pay to determine trade-in value. At least that's the way it is/was here in the Atlanta area. I've been away from it for the last 6 years or so.

2Slick4U
06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I'd go through the extra trouble of selling the car on my own.

bigdaddy
06-06-2011, 07:06 PM
i wouldnt trade a car in for a lease. your gonna be paying monthly for the lease and never will own the thing. my 2cents as far as value, depending on what your looking to get and how much room they have to work with price wise, they may give you more for the trade but make the money somewhere else. they might not lower thier price as much but give you the higher trade value

Good point. I missed that you are going into a lease. The correct way to lease is zero down. Not license fees, not first payment, not anything. Zero. Have them write you a check for your car.

cap217
06-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Well I went in and leased a new car and I got 0 money out of pocket and where I wanted my payment everything included.

They started at 7K for the car then w 1 phone call that jumped to $8,500... I said no deal. At the end I got $10,200 for my trade. Not bad considering I paid $10,100 2 years and 25K miles earlier.

anathema
06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
My 06 Audi A3 was black booked at 10k, I negotiated 14k from the dealer, he will sell it for 16.5 likely...