PDA

View Full Version : I think something killed my cat....

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-13-2011, 05:04 AM
...and YOU decide what it was, since I can't figure it out.

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but the other night about 3 in the morning I woke up to the sound of a cat going at it with something else somewhere in the field near my house. The weird thing is, it was only the cat making the screaming noise and it was getting more and more intense .... more than just cat fight stuff.

Towards the end the cat made a few sounds that didn't sound good at all, pretty much like it was toast. :cry:

I haven't see her since. I live by a lot of woods nearby and who knows what is out there and what the heck would kill a cat? :confused: Let's look at the checklist, shall we? :YinYang

1. Squirrel?
2. Rabid squirrel?
3. Possum
4. Racoon
5. Deer?
6. Hornets nest
7. Ground Hog?
8. Gang of Groundhogs?
9. Coyote
10. Wolf

I guess I better make a poll :red

Here is a picture of her when she was younger in case anyone has seen her. She's not been the greatest cat, but is pretty much ok now and then. My Dad liked her a lot, so I'm kind of sad if she is really Ka-put now.

http://i.imgur.com/BbZHx.jpg

phoenix 7
06-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Very sorry about your cat, Tweed! A bit strange that she just disappeared like that.

Joseph/n
06-13-2011, 05:09 AM
If anything the coyote would be the culprit. Could be a stray dog to though. A lot of times a cat will be a little to curious. I hope your cat turns up ok. I have two cats so I know how important that little guy can be.

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-13-2011, 05:18 AM
It's kind of scary to think there would be coyotes or wolfs in the midwest / eastern part of the US, but I suppose anything is possible.

Joseph/n
06-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Due to thE fact that coyotes are scavengers they are almost everywhere. I grew up in the very most southern tip of Alabama on the water and we had them. They have spread out over the years looking for food.

Midnight Lady
06-13-2011, 05:33 AM
You might have missed another possibility Tweedy. Fishers (member of the weasel family) are through Canada and the northern states. And weasels as well, will attack small mammals.

There was a cat in the neighborhood that was attacked and killed by a fisher in full view of the family.

Nasty nasty creatures.

Your cat was really beautiful and I'm sorry you lost her in such a tragic way.

sausagefingers
06-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Oh that sucks. Poor kitty.

Dillow4092
06-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Must have been a Chupacabra...

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-13-2011, 05:40 AM
You might have missed another possibility Tweedy. Fishers (member of the weasel family) are through Canada and the northern states. And weasels as well, will attack small mammals.

There was a cat in the neighborhood that was attacked and killed by a fisher in full view of the family.

Nasty nasty creatures.

Your cat was really beautiful and I'm sorry you lost her in such a tragic way.

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure it was my cat, but there weren't many strays around that I know of. There is still a chance that a neighbor took her in (this happened once before). The thing is, the event happened in a field of clover, so it's almost impossible for a cat to quickly run out of that tangly mess.

Trout
06-13-2011, 05:45 AM
My vote is coyote, but do not rule out an owl either. Especially if the cat ventured near a possible nesting site.
Though not in their normal diet, they are as opportunist as most predatory species.
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/12/dog-survives-after-being-snatched-by-owl-1586718

pedalcr8z
06-13-2011, 06:18 AM
My vote is coyote, but do not rule out an owl either. Especially if the cat ventured near a possible nesting site.
Though not in their normal diet, they are as opportunist as most predatory species.
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/12/dog-survives-after-being-snatched-by-owl-1586718

I would have said coyote also but my wife has seen a several hawks in out neighborhood recently and sorry to be gruesome here but one of them was eating a squirrel that she watched it kill. Don't know if they are night hunters also. :(

roknfnrol
06-13-2011, 06:24 AM
It was mostly likely Luis Moreno.

skydog
06-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Hawks hunt by daylight. If all you heard was the cat, it very well might have been an owl. I've come across rabbit remains in the snow with no tracks other than the rabbit's. Death from above. I'd think the coyote would have been adding to the fracas especially if there were more than one. They're pretty high-strung.

otaypanky
06-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Sorry Doc ~ she was a pretty cat
One night years ago I went fishing at night. I parked at a friend's place and walked down by the lake. My buddy's 100+ lb. Samoyed followed me. Things were good and all was quiet for a while, the all of a sudden all hell broke loose back in the tall grass. Blood curdling screams and sounds that would scare the devil. The dog and a raccoon were going at it big time. The raccoon was wrapped like a collar around the dogs neck in such a way that the dog couldn't get at it. All he could do was try and shake it off. I was able to intervene, giving the dog a chance to turn the table. But if I hadn't been there I'd bet the raccoon would have been the winner.

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Hawks hunt by daylight. If all you heard was the cat, it very well might have been an owl. I've come across rabbit remains in the snow with no tracks other than the rabbit's. Death from above. I'd think the coyote would have been adding to the fracas especially if there were more than one. They're pretty high-strung.

Yeah, that was a scary thing not knowing what the cat was up against. I really wish I hadn't heard that, it lasted for about 30-45 seconds and then the cat let out a dying sounding, decaying cry .... that's what really got me.

skydog
06-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Sorry Doc ~ she was a pretty cat
One night years ago I went fishing at night. I parked at a friend's place and walked down by the lake. My buddy's 100+ lb. Samoyed followed me. Things were good and all was quiet for a while, the all of a sudden all hell broke loose back in the tall grass. Blood curdling screams and sounds that would scare the devil. The dog and a raccoon were going at it big time. The raccoon was wrapped like a collar around the dogs neck in such a way that the dog couldn't get at it. All he could do was try and shake it off. I was able to intervene, giving the dog a chance to turn the table. But if I hadn't been there I'd bet the raccoon would have been the winner.
Raccoons have been known to kill coon dogs 2-3 times their own weight. But unless it was rabid (a very good possibility), or extremely hungry, I doubt if the raccoon would seek out a cat.

mge80
06-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Fishers (member of the weasel family) are through Canada and the northern states.

I've seen one twice (I'm certain it was the same one...same coloration, etc...) in the recent past here. Once, about 20 yards from my kitchen window (on the OTHER side of the fence) and once down the road a bit when we were all out for a walk. Both times, like the recent bear sighting, were in the middle of the day...noonish, or so.

echale3
06-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Coyotes are widely known to kill cats and small dogs, as well as other "normal" prey type animals. That'd be my vote, although an owl is not out of the question.

Coyotes are ridiculously adaptable--I've seen them in every setting from pasture land to trotting down the sidewalk a few blocks north of the Capitol building in Indianapolis.

bigdaddy
06-13-2011, 06:50 AM
I want your cat on a rainbow.

GuitarKidd
06-13-2011, 06:52 AM
I voted Coyote, and maybe even a fox.

JackButler
06-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear that <(
Likely a Coyote, lots over this way.

GuiltySpark
06-13-2011, 07:05 AM

I lost a Dachshund puppy to a Great Horned Owl that nested on the property across from us. It was not pretty.

jrjones
06-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Couldn't vote. Poll doesn't have the option of the abominable snowman.

flume
06-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Couldn't vote. Poll needs new category for "neglect".

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Couldn't vote. Poll needs new category for "neglect".
:red There is nothing wrong with letting the kitty go outdoors now and then.

TrickinSid
06-13-2011, 07:35 AM
:red There is nothing wrong with letting the kitty go outdoors now and then.

I agree Tweed......I let all (3) my cats go in and out all the time (in a woods).
They are happy.....at some point cats we're wild...let them be free
and enjoy being a cat...for cryin' out loud.

Sorry to hear about yours Tweed....Coyote...would be my first guess.
I'm like you....didn't think they were in Ohio...but yep, they are.

crzyfngers
06-13-2011, 07:40 AM
since you're in ohio, i think, i'd say raccoon. probably competing for food. sorry kitty. actually the noises an angry possum makes could have been confused for the death throes of poor kitty.

Madison
06-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Yep, unfortunately it sounds like a coyote. There have been several dens discovered lately in my county, which reveals lots of bones and cat/dog collars. That sucks, I'm sorry about your cat.

dmw319
06-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Fox!

supergenius365
06-13-2011, 08:45 AM
I lost a Dachshund puppy to a Great Horned Owl that nested on the property across from us. It was not pretty.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/supergenius365/M-OwlsAreAssholes_400x400_2_jpg_400x400_upscale_q85. jpg

VintageKnob
06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Or someone?

Maybe it was a neighbor who didn't want to share your pet any longer?

Just saying'

- D

guitfiddle
06-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Are there any Cougars in that part of Ohio? We had them in VA, but not many. Here in CO, they rule the woods. They're silent killers.

Mr Boggie
06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I see a lot of coyote's in our fields, they are quick enough to catch it. If anything, you'd hear the coyote's heckle, if it helps as they call out to their pack.

Hogan/Guitars
06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah,Coyote or human.

Phalanx200bc
06-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Coyotes..... we dont have flyers of missing kids around here..... we have flyers of missing cats.

neil99
06-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I was driving home one night, about to pull in my driveway and see a fox standing in the middle of my street. I flash my lights and beep my horn and the bugger is still standing there unphased. I creep my car up a bit further and he hesitantly turns and saunters of a bit but still at the side of the road looking off into the brush. I try to see what he has in his sights only to find my very nervous cat trying to hide in the long weeds on the side of the road. I was able to hop out of the car scoop the cat up and put him in the car. He certainly used one or two of his nine lives that night.

Buddy Boy
06-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Did you find a blood trail or obvious site of attack? I searched for 10 hours straight when one of mine went missing.

Pally
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
rainbow

Buddy Boy
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, that was a scary thing not knowing what the cat was up against. I really wish I hadn't heard that, it lasted for about 30-45 seconds and then the cat let out a dying sounding, decaying cry .... that's what really got me.
In less than 30 seconds you could have been out the door with the porch light on making a loud racket, might have saved the cat's life. Sorry for the cat...sounds like she did the best she could.

mannish
06-13-2011, 11:31 AM
coyote if they are in your area

fetishfrog
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
In your area I'd guess a coyote.

A general note, please keep your cats indoors. They do a lot of damage and are an excellent way to draw wild predators closer to humans.

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/predation.pdf

mannish
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
we heard a god awful cry the other night - our cat was indoors and it was strange that he dogs were not barking. We found a huge rabbit in the fence the next morning. It somehow got in the fence and our blue tick got it. It was disturbing sound for sure

gpro34
06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Something else you might consider is a large Owl. Owls have razor sharp talons and are very strong. They have been known to carry off large prey, some much larger than you would expect. They hunt at night and have untrammeled night vision.

fjblair
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
If it was eaten it was a coyote. If not it was a dog.

gpro34
06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
If it was eaten it was a coyote. If not it was a dog.
If there are no remains to be found, I say an owl. It was carried off. Any other of the scenarios there would be some evidence left behind. With an Owl, no evidence, unless you find the spot he carried it to.

Buddy Boy
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
If there are no remains to be found, I say an owl. It was carried off. Any other of the scenarios there would be some evidence left behind. With an Owl, no evidence, unless you find the spot he carried it to.
That means one would have to look for evidence....or just start a poll on TGP and go on wondering.

skydog
06-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Years ago my brother was with a friend's family in Michigan. One of those lakes with the cottages all around it and everyone has a small section of beach/lakefront. The people in the cottage next door were swimming and periodically tossing a stick into the lake for their poodle to fetch. On one such fetching, the water broke and a large musky was tailwalking with the poodle in his mouth! The people were shouting, "Fluffy, Fluffy" but to no avail. The musky took it down and they never saw the dog (or the musky) again.

Peteyvee
06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I vote coyote and I'm truly sorry for your loss.

lp_bruce
06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Are there any Cougars in that part of Ohio? We had them in VA, but not many. Here in CO, they rule the woods. They're silent killers.

Coyotes live in every US state but Hawaii. They are one of the only predators to thrive around humans and they can be found in all kinds of places. I live in suburb just north of Detroit (completely urban) and I've seen several over they years while running with my dog. They don't normally bother people, particularly adults, because they aren't especially big and they don't see us as prey. But pets are fair game (literally).

Sorry about your kitty, Dr. T. It could be a few things, but given the time/place I would guess a coyote. Could have been an owl or raccoon too, though raccoons make a big racket when they brawl and you probably would have heard it.

Peace,

Julia343
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Coyote pair also likely. I think a cat with claws can handle a dog if they're quick enough. But a pair of coyotes it wouldn't stand a chance.

that was a cute cat. sorry.

seafoamer
06-13-2011, 03:49 PM
No option for suicide?

FFTT
06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

We had a very old and sickly cat disappear before and we think
it may have been an owl. They are just so Big up here.

A neighborhood dog, coyote, more likely.

My cats stay away from O'Possums and Raccoons and they're here all the time.

bsuite
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Sorry for your loss.
I say it was the butler with a candlestick in the den.

gpro34
06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Did you mean a Monk named Chip, or a Chipmunk?

hank57
06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I think raccoon because a coyote or fox would be able to kill a cat very quickly once it had it.

lp_bruce
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
I think raccoon because a coyote or fox would be able to kill a cat very quickly once it had it.

But a raccoon wouldn't do it quietly. The don't normally see cats a prey items, and would be more likely to kill a cat in a brawl. And raccoons do NOT brawl quietly.

But, absent any other signs there is no way to really know. Heck, it could have been a neighbor. The larger point is that there are plenty of things out there that can and do kill cats. I'm OK with people letting their cats out, but they should be aware that it comes at a risk.

Peace,

fredgarvin
06-13-2011, 05:19 PM
We've lost cats to coyote's too. The raccoons don't bother them, except to steal their food.

EADGBE
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm guessing a coyote. From what you've described it has to be something bigger than itself. I doubt it's a wolf. But I don't know where abouts you live.

TC@Tyler
06-13-2011, 05:31 PM
It was LeBron James.

lp_bruce
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
It was LeBron James.

He has been known to choke, which would explain why it took so long.

Peace,

bsuite
06-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Years ago my brother was with a friend's family in Michigan. One of those lakes with the cottages all around it and everyone has a small section of beach/lakefront. The people in the cottage next door were swimming and periodically tossing a stick into the lake for their poodle to fetch. On one such fetching, the water broke and a large musky was tailwalking with the poodle in his mouth! The people were shouting, "Fluffy, Fluffy" but to no avail. The musky took it down and they never saw the dog (or the musky) again.

This story should be sung to the tune of "The Edmund Fitzgerald"

Shake
06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Live out in the sticks do ya? Ever see anything strange in the night sky? Experience any "missing time?"

http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/UFORC/page26.html

http://grantlawrence.blogspot.com/2010/10/surgical-cat-mutilations-reported-ufo.html

circusinthesky
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
I vote coyote and I'm truly sorry for your loss.

I'm a little more sorry for the cat's loss. Should not have been outside in the first place.

Rattles
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
So sorry to hear about your kitty Tweed. I always thought your kitty was beautiful. Loved that little face.

:cry:

hazel-rah
06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Ants?

SteveGaines
06-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Coyotes will not only kill cats and eat them...They will along "PACK UP" and kill a pretty huge dog. Had a friend who lost about a 100 lb Lab to a pack.

SteveGaines
06-13-2011, 11:01 PM
we heard a god awful cry the other night - our cat was indoors and it was strange that he dogs were not barking. We found a huge rabbit in the fence the next morning. It somehow got in the fence and our blue tick got it. It was disturbing sound for sure

makes the most disturbing sound you will ever hear...It will raise the hair on the back of your neck..Plus it brings in all kinds of predators...

SteveGaines
06-13-2011, 11:09 PM
But a raccoon wouldn't do it quietly. The don't normally see cats a prey items, and would be more likely to kill a cat in a brawl. And raccoons do NOT brawl quietly.

But, absent any other signs there is no way to really know. Heck, it could have been a neighbor. The larger point is that there are plenty of things out there that can and do kill cats. I'm OK with people letting their cats out, but they should be aware that it comes at a risk.

Peace,

in the city..and you know when they are out...The CATS that you see running loose..are nowhere to be found..ON the other hand..A Possum will RUN A COON OFF...My family coon hunted for years..And they always said a Possum would "SULL" ( Play possum) for about anything other than a Raccoon. They have a mouth full of razor sharp teeth and I've had old timers tell me they have seen Possum's kill Racoons before. That was in the days when you ate what you killed. An Old man told me he caught a possum in a live trap and a Raccoon in another. He put them in a pen and was going to feed them and fatten them up before he killed them . Apparently the Possum didn't like the idea of sharing the pen with the Raccoon so he killed it. That tells me all I need to know because Raccoons are some FEROCIOUS FIGHTERS!

Stratm69
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm a cat lover and i'm very sad to read about this...

The cat was either killed and taken off somewhere by a larger animal or the cat was injured badly and went to hide somewhere so it could rest and pass on into the next life.

I had two cats that ran away but eventually found their way back home or I had found them. I can't imagine nor do I want to imagine my life without any of them, no matter how much of a brat they can be sometimes. They are like my kids.

fusion58
06-13-2011, 11:23 PM
I have a colony of feral cats living on my (and my neighbor's) property. I have been feeding them for several years now. One night, a coyote showed up in my back yard, and those cats kicked his ass! The next morning, he was lying in some tall grass bleeding from several large gashes and holes all over his body. Those cats really f_cked him up.

Stratm69
06-13-2011, 11:25 PM
I have a colony of feral cats living on my (and my neighbor's) property. I have been feeding them for several years now. One night, a coyote showed up in my back yard, and those cats kicked his ass! The next morning, he was lying in some tall grass bleeding from several large gashes and holes all over his body. Those cats really f_cked him up.

Too bad Tweed's cat wasn't a feral. Unfortunately for most house cats, they will put up a good fight but can't last very long nor do they have sufficient skills to survive on their own for very long.

fusion58
06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Too bad Tweed's cat wasn't a feral. Unfortunately for most house cats, they will put up a good fight but can't last very long nor do they have sufficient skills to survive on their own for very long.

Yep.

Huge cat lover here - was sad to read the OP.

fredgarvin
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm a little more sorry for the cat's loss. Should not have been outside in the first place.
Should not have posted this in the second place.

Buddy Boy
06-14-2011, 10:17 AM
I have seen ferals gang up to run off a possum. Defending kittens was the motivation. I have a colony of feral cats living on my (and my neighbor's) property. I have been feeding them for several years now. One night, a coyote showed up in my back yard, and those cats kicked his ass! The next morning, he was lying in some tall grass bleeding from several large gashes and holes all over his body. Those cats really f_cked him up.

fjblair
06-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Give me a break.

chrisr777
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Sorry Tweedy,
we lost a cat to a coyote last year. Same kind of situation. 3:00 and my wife hears the cat screaming on the side of the house. By the time she woke me up and I got out there he was gone and never came back. We are in the middle of a suburb, but I have seen them in the neighborhood. When I used to live up in the Topanga Canyon area we had to worry about mountain lions as well.

circusinthesky
06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Should not have posted this in the second place.

I don't mind saying what I think should be said even if I come off as a *di*c. I am sure my cat would love to run the streets at night, but it would be my fault when she gets hit by a car. I understand that other people think its not a big deal, and they think cats should be able to run free, get hit by cars, produce more kittens, get worms, and get killed in various ways. I don't really consider that responsible pet ownership.

retrobob
06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I keep my cat in a cage 24/7.

chrisr777
06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't mind saying what I think should be said even if I come off as a *di*c. I am sure my cat would love to run the streets at night, but it would be my fault when she gets hit by a car. I understand that other people think its not a big deal, and they think cats should be able to run free, get hit by cars, produce more kittens, get worms, and get killed in various ways. I don't really consider that responsible pet ownership.

Before you speak, consider the following...

1. Does this need to be said?
2. Does this need to be said...by me?
3. Does this need to be said by me...now?

Sage advice.

Kind of ironic, isn't it?

circusinthesky
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Kind of ironic, isn't it?

I considered those very same words before I posted. I still think it should be said. The dozen or so response of "hey, my cat got ravaged by a wild animal, too!" sort of keep me focused on the big picture....the cat's health and well being.

bluesjuke
06-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Tweedy.

Lost ours a couple of years ago and it was likely Coons.
They got into it with him before.

I always worried about my dog that had ears much like a rabbit as we have hawks and owls here in the yard and she wasn't much bigger.

Jerry Shaw
06-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Sorry about your kitty. I lost one a few years ago - a very healthy and agile hunter. She just disappeared. I've always suspected coyotes. I live next to a creek, and I hear them yipping in the fields across the creek almost every night, sometimes pretty close. But I've never seen them on this side of the creek. I'd like to get a few chickens, but I don't want to lure the coyotes across the creek.

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Should not have been outside in the first place.

Says who? She loved to ramble around outdoors. :YinYang Fate is fate, even when it's late and there is no debate, no need to hate, how dare you rate my late cat's fate? :red

When I was growing up we had a couple of outdoor cats at different times and each one made it nearly 18 years before kicking the bucket. Some cats have a good survival instinct and live a good long life. My cat was smart about the car thing, but wasn't so lucky other ways.

Due to the cat shortage, I'm not sure what I'm gonig to do for another, but someday maybe one will become available and I can get a new one. :)

circusinthesky
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Says who? She loved to ramble around outdoors. :YinYang Fate is fate, even when it's late and there is no debate, no need to hate, how dare you rate my late cat's fate? :red

Well, I'm definitely not hating on you, and I'll climb down off my soap box. I realize opinions differ wildly on this topic.

Dr. Tweedbucket
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm definitely not hating on you, and I'll climb down off my soap box. I realize opinions differ wildly on this topic.

No prob. Really I don't see it any different than folks keeping their dogs outside :dunno

Killcrop
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
It was LeBron James.

He took your cat to Miami. Poor cat.

Killcrop
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
If I had to guess, based on the pics I have seen of your place, I would say Owl. A sickly dog (coyote) could have left evidence. Probably would have heard the sickly dog as well.

One time I was calling my dog in (Gordon Setter- field breed 40lbs) and she was in a stare down at about dusk with something in the tree. I went outside and there was a huge owl almost as big as my dog. They were both looking at each other trying to figure out who was going to eat who. (No pun intended). Now my dog kills bunnys, squirrels, birds of all kinds, and even once cornered an Opossum but no way was I going to let her scrap with that owl. That thing was bad ass.

Killcrop
06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
I forgot to add. Your cats face looks like a Michael Schenker guitar.

sosomething
06-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Coyotes are widely known to kill cats and small dogs, as well as other "normal" prey type animals. That'd be my vote, although an owl is not out of the question.

Coyotes are ridiculously adaptable--I've seen them in every setting from pasture land to trotting down the sidewalk a few blocks north of the Capitol building in Indianapolis.

I live in Indy and we have them here, big time.

Makes evening walks - especially in early spring - particularly harrowing when you hear their yips and howls rolling over the green of the golf course next to my street.

Coyote was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP.

sosomething
06-14-2011, 10:03 PM
No prob. Really I don't see it any different than folks keeping their dogs outside :dunno

It isn't.

Take that to mean whatever you will.

I am truly sorry about your cat.

The Last Rebel
06-14-2011, 10:36 PM
My bet is on a coyote, we have those bastards all over the place here. One of our neighbors has cats disappear all the time because of them.

robare99
06-15-2011, 02:14 AM
MSIG killed your cat.

:,(

jumpnblues
06-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Coyote or raccoon. 50% chance of either. I live in the country and domestic dogs are also responsible for a lot of cat kills. A couple dogs from our "neighborhood" have been seen killing cats. So, I'd say 50% coyotes, 50% raccoons, and 50% domestic dogs.

Dr. Einstein

Strativarius
06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Curiosity killed the cat. That was too obvious.

Sorry for your loss.

silvertone1481
06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Coyote.

We have 'em here, I'm in Ohio too.