PDA

View Full Version : Sheryl Bailey's 'Bebop Dojo'

Jazz2Punk
06-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Thought some of you jazzers may be interested in this:

Bebop Dojo - Sheryl Bailey - Guitar Sherpa - TrueFire (http://truefire.com/guitar-sherpa/sherpa_class.html?id=4198)

I've tried a few other online jazz courses but this is the first one that I am really digging. Sheryl's a great teacher and her video lessons are very clear and concise. She doesn't dumb anything down which I appreciate and she is available to answer any questions you may have.

I'm still getting a feel for how it all works but so far so good. I'll report back once I've had time to dig in deeper and give a more complete review!

I am not affiliated with Truefire in anyway. Just thought some of you here may be interested in this as well (there are other teachers as well for those of you into other genres).

FatJeff
06-25-2011, 08:14 AM
I saw this a few weeks back. Definitely looks great...let us know how it goes! I'd enroll now but I'm finishing out my last year at the university.

jzucker
06-25-2011, 08:42 AM
highly recommended

frdagaa
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Took a class with Sheryl at NGW. Was blown away by her playing. A very good teacher, explains things well. She's a good example of someone who just "feels jazz" through and through, which I don't. And that can be hard to translate; not really a teachable thing, but it's what I'd most like to get out of lessons with her. Maybe enough time with the video course would help. keep us posted.

Carl_Tone
06-25-2011, 10:50 AM
great player...

Tomo
06-25-2011, 11:26 AM
She uses lesson room right next my office at Berklee. Way she practice those 2 lines in same time. Amazing!

Tomo

Jazz2Punk
06-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I saw this a few weeks back. Definitely looks great...let us know how it goes! I'd enroll now but I'm finishing out my last year at the university.

I'll definitely follow up once I get into a more structured routine. Juggling a full time gig and night school myself so have to get more disciplined!

Kudos on almost completing the university program. Very cool!

projam619
06-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Please keep us posted on how you're doing, since I'm thinking of enrolling myself...Her lesson on Mikes Master Classes, "Bebop Flow", has helped me immensely in developing long fluid bebop lines. 5 star lesson!!

dsimon665
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I enrolled a couple weeks ago...I think it is going to be great. There are a ton of lessons - Sheryl recommended I start with her lessons on Autumn Leaves so that's where I'm at (arps/chord tones over the changes). In one section She has updates on the "NY scene" like interviewing players on their take on such things as practicing. Some exclusive clips like a practice session of her version of Hendirx's "Midnight Lamp".

FYI - Sheryl has a recent release called "For All Those Living". Check it out.

AlexSmith
06-29-2011, 10:36 PM
I took private lessons with her at Berklee this past spring and fall. Excellent teacher, amazing player, very nice woman. She had a lot of great things to teach me.
For her, Bop playing basically boils down to superimposing the Bebop scale and ii-V's over different changes...she really doesn't think much more complicated than that, which makes sense. Same with chords. She doesn't think much in terms of larger chords; she just superimposes different triads and 7 chords over different roots.
I have stacks and stacks of notes to go through. They'll probably last me the rest of my life. If you guys get a chance, take a lesson or two with her. Just be prepared beforehand and have good questions to ask.

FatJeff
06-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Any chance you'd be willing to share some of those notes?

AlexSmith
07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Any chance you'd be willing to share some of those notes?
I suppose I could, but I'd have to ask her permission first.

TommyGuitar
10-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I took private lessons with her at Berklee this past spring and fall. Excellent teacher, amazing player, very nice woman. She had a lot of great things to teach me.
For her, Bop playing basically boils down to superimposing the Bebop scale and ii-V's over different changes...she really doesn't think much more complicated than that, which makes sense. Same with chords. She doesn't think much in terms of larger chords; she just superimposes different triads and 7 chords over different roots.
I have stacks and stacks of notes to go through. They'll probably last me the rest of my life. If you guys get a chance, take a lesson or two with her. Just be prepared beforehand and have good questions to ask.

You master the family of four+1 yet? I'm taking lessons from her right now. She's a great player I really look up to her.

willyboy
10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Hadn't seen that. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to meeting Sheryl this next week as we are bringing her up to Nelson, BC for a day of clinics and a concert!

branbolio
11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Anyone taking the guitar sherpa from her right now? How much one on one and response vids are there in a month, What is it like?

Jazz2Punk
11-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Anyone taking the guitar sherpa from her right now? How much one on one and response vids are there in a month, What is it like?

I'm still a student on the Dojo. Technically, I think you get one video correspondence lesson a week and unlimited messaging. It's not uncommon though for Sheryl to respond to a message inquiry with a video demonstration.

There used to be two levels but now it's just $99 a month all in. I think that's a great deal to study with a player of her caliber. I've really clicked with her approach as well as with who she is as a teacher and a person. I have nothing but good things to say about her but you'd have to try it out yourself to see if it really clicks.

According to the Truefire website, there's a money back guarantee if you're unhappy after the first month so nothing to lose.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any other questions.

branbolio
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey Jazz2punk,
Any updates, did you continue lessons with Sheryl on a monthly basis? Did you get alot out of it, was it structured to you personally, or same stuff for all students?

Clifford-D
07-03-2012, 10:25 AM
She is so good
Her carreer is just blooming right now