PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Tremolo vs Dr. SciEntist Tremolessence

therewillbehotcake
06-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Diamond tremolo vs ultimate Tremolessence. Which one?!?

phoenix 7
06-28-2011, 05:09 AM
I have the Diamond tremolo. I also have a Demeter Tremulator. The Demeter doesn't have tap and it isn't as versatile, but I think it sounds significantly better. It sounds to me like the Diamond degrades the signal a little bit. If I didn't need the Diamond's tap tempo for live stuff, the Demeter would be on my board.

Frosted Glass
06-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Never noticed any signal degradation with the diamond. The diamond has 4 waveforms, ramping and tap over the new tremolessence as i see it. If none of this matters to you get the Dr scientist

digiTED
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Over the last year, I've gone Supa-Trem > Diamond > Ultimate Tremoloessence.

This is also the order of tonal quality, with the Supa being the best IMO. Very subtle differences, as they all sound great, but the Supa has a mojo to it; it's the warmest but also has a feel that inspires you to push against it. I miss it. The other two have great features and ergos that have drawn me away, but the GAS pains remain. I'm thinking of going back to the Supa despite the funky shape.

therewillbehotcake
06-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Over the last year, I've gone Supa-Trem > Diamond > Ultimate Tremoloessence.

This is also the order of tonal quality, with the Supa being the best IMO. Very subtle differences, as they all sound great, but the Supa has a mojo to it; it's the warmest but also has a feel that inspires you to push against it. I miss it. The other two have great features and ergos that have drawn me away, but the GAS pains remain. I'm thinking of going back to the Supa despite the funky shape.

How does the Supa-Trem compare to the TR-2, tonally speaking? If I may add, it is highly possible that Dr. SciEntist took inspiration from Lightfoot Labs for their ultimate Tremolessence (proof: they favorited the latter on Facebook). Also, I never see people mention products like the CAJ Twin Tremolo around here.

therewillbehotcake
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Never noticed any signal degradation with the diamond. The diamond has 4 waveforms, ramping and tap over the new tremolessence as i see it. If none of this matters to you get the Dr scientist

I thought the ultimate Tremolessence has tap tempo?

digiTED
06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I thought the ultimate Tremolessence has tap tempo?

That's the only feature it doesn't have! :)

Instead of tap, it has expression control of both rate and depth.

The Dr. Sci did bump the Diamond for me, but mostly for exp rate and less than half the width.

My comment above regarding relative tone quality should be read as 'Diamond and Dr. Sci are great, but the Supa is SUPER great". I've only messed with a TR-2 at guitarget, so I can't really comment.

Basically, all 3 are amazing musical tools and no one how has one is suffering.

digiTED
06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
If I may add, it is highly possible that Dr. SciEntist took inspiration from Lightfoot Labs for their ultimate Tremolessence (proof: they favorited the latter on Facebook).

You're joking, right? Ryan (Dr. Sci) is one of the most original thinkers in the pedal FX world these days. If you're curious about his inspirations, just ask him. He's very friendly and candid. I'd avoid speculating based on tracking someone else's Facebook behavior ...

therewillbehotcake
06-28-2011, 02:23 PM
You're joking, right? Ryan (Dr. Sci) is one of the most original thinkers in the pedal FX world these days. If you're curious about his inspirations, just ask him. He's very friendly and candid. I'd avoid speculating based on tracking someone else's Facebook behavior ...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=911813

therewillbehotcake
06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Is The Cleanness supposed to be a clean boost or parametric equalizer?

stewthom
06-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Actually the Tremolessence does have ramping, they just call it the Hold function. Similar feature, though.

digiTED
06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Actually the Tremolessence does have ramping, they just call it the Hold function. Similar feature, though.

You can also adjust how quickly the ramp up happens, though I never missed that on the Diamond. The ramp-up felt good.

teefus
06-28-2011, 03:12 PM
i have owned and used both. i ended up keeping the diamond. it was a little easier to tweak on the fly. the dr scientist got a little futzy when you changed the 2 mini switches. they dramatically affected the other pedal settings. the diamond sounds fantastic and has some very cool features.

Frosted Glass
06-28-2011, 05:20 PM

Corrrct'd. I assumed hold was like the momentary setting on the diamond.

digiTED
06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Corrrct'd. I assumed hold was like the momentary setting on the diamond.

It is, but you can dial in adjustable ramping to it as well. Pretty cool IMO.

LuckyBlackCat
06-28-2011, 06:02 PM
You can also adjust how quickly the ramp up happens, though I never missed that on the Diamond. The ramp-up felt good.

I agree that the Diamond has good, smooth ramping. The Empress, which I used to have, ramped oddly fast or slow depending on your speed settings.

crxshdxmmy
06-28-2011, 06:55 PM
The better comparison would be the Diamond vs. the Empress. In which case, despite my Diamond Comp love, I prefer the Empress.

digiTED
06-28-2011, 07:31 PM
The better comparison would be the Diamond vs. the Empress. In which case, despite my Diamond Comp love, I prefer the Empress.

Interesting. Did you ever do a demo comparison between the two, crxshdxmmy?

crxshdxmmy
06-28-2011, 10:06 PM
I didn't sorry. FWIW though, while I was right at home with the control layout on the Empress because of my familiarity with the Superdelay, what really sold it was the rhythm options. It was pretty much a no-contest in that regard. And really, the only thing the Diamond had over it was the nifty killswitch sorta thing you can do... and the fact that it may have had a slight bit more "warmth" to it, but — and hear me — it wasn't drastic in any way and really shouldn't be something that anyone stands on as sufficient evidence for preferring one over the other. They both sounded awesome.

EDIT: The Diamond has one other waveshape too, IIRC.

jamison162
06-28-2011, 10:23 PM
I bought the Empress trem right after they came out, going on 4 yrs ago. I've not tried another trem since and don't have any gas.

thesooze
06-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I bought the Empress trem right after they came out, going on 4 yrs ago. I've not tried another trem since and don't have any gas.

This was me until about two weeks ago.

Tried the Semaphore for a smaller footprint, didn't do it for me. Now I've got a tremolessence in the mail. Hoping that's the ticket.

After that it's Supa Trem and Diamond. If none of these sound as good or better than the Empress, I'm going back for good.

therewillbehotcake
06-29-2011, 06:53 AM
This was me until about two weeks ago.

Tried the Semaphore for a smaller footprint, didn't do it for me. Now I've got a tremolessence in the mail. Hoping that's the ticket.

After that it's Supa Trem and Diamond. If none of these sound as good or better than the Empress, I'm going back for good.

Semaphore is teh sucks. Played it, hate it.

jamison162
06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Semaphore is teh sucks. Played it, hated it.

What did you not like? Features, tonal quality in general, or the actual trem effect itself?

therewillbehotcake
06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
What did you not like? Features, tonal quality in general, or the actual trem effect itself?

It just feels 'meh'. For "normal" trems, I'd rather BOSS TR-2.

braken
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Interesting. Did you ever do a demo comparison between the two, crxshdxmmy?

I had both at once and found them both to be amazing. Although the layouts/functions are slightly different, I had a hard time finding much difference in sound or feature once I learned how to use them.
I kept the Empress based on colour (seriously).

thesooze
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I kept the Empress based on colour (seriously).

That's awesome!! Although, I'm really liking the Surf Green Diamond Trem:

http://site.humbuckermusic.com/images/diamond/diamond-tremolo-pedal.jpg

therewillbehotcake
06-29-2011, 03:19 PM

http://site.humbuckermusic.com/images/diamond/diamond-tremolo-pedal.jpg

Win :drool.

Frosted Glass
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Green with envy. Mines forest green

DraggAmps
06-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I really want to try the new Ultimate Tremolessence, but I use a Cusack TAW v3 and I would probably only be able to bring myself to switch if I really needed the space on my board. The Cusack has top jacks and is very small, though, so it probably won't happen.

I've had the Diamond and loved it, but the Cusack sounded equally good, maybe slightly "better", to me, and has way more sounds, rhythms, and features in general. It's not much more than the Diamond and it has two banks of 8 different wave forms each, and a third bank with a bunch of rhythmic patterns. It also has a "live" setting (current settings on the pedal) or a "preset" setting, which allows you one pre-set per wave form/rhythm, which means 24 presets total. An awesome feature. It also includes ramping but has a couple other features that no other trem has (to my knowledge), which are the "tap once" function and the "fade in" function. The "tap once" function allows you to tap the tap tempo switch once, and it starts the rhythmic cycle over, which allows you to get back on tempo if needed. The "fade in" function allows you 8 or so different lengths of time that you can have the tremolo fade in when you turn it on. For example, if you set it for 5 seconds, then when you turn the tremolo on, the depth of the pulses will fade in for 5 seconds, at which point you will get your full depth/full effect of your current setting. Kinda neat for some things and I'm sure it could be very useful, but I haven't put it to good use yet.

What else... The Tap A Whirl v3 also has a tap in/out. This allows you to send a tap signal to another pedal, a drum trigger, a click track, your co-guitarists board, etc. It can also receive this signal and the speed of the tremolo will therefore be determined by another source. For example, say you're recording and using a click track, your tempo will perfectly match the click track so the recorded tempo will be perfect. All of the tap Cusack pedals have this feature, and you could hook them all up and as soon as you tap in a tempo on one, all of the other effects will sync up. Really cool feature. It's especially cool that you can set a trigger on one of your drummers drums and it will receive the tempo. Then you can use the tap divide (the TAW v3 also has a TON of tap divisions) to get the amount of pulses per beat right. Or, probably more useful, you can just send a line to the tremolo from your drummers' click track, if he happens to use one while playing live, which more and more drums do these days, now that more people use samples and electronic stuff in their music that needs a specific tempo.

Anyway, it's seriously a masterpiece of Cusack's. They aren't hugely popular but the trem is serious golden. And it's not just features, the tone is also probably the best I've heard (not to mention it has tones and rhythms that nothing else has). One guy one here had both the TAW v3 and a Goat Keeper 3 and said that basically they're the two best tromolos ever and that the TAW completely won in terms of tone.

I had a very long running thread 6 months or so back (still gets bumped on occasion) about all of the big tap tremolo brands (I was trying to decide between the TAW v3, the Diamond, the Empress, the Stereo Tap Semaphore, the Young Pedals "the Looker", and some others) and I ultimately tried both the TAW and Diamond. The TAW is only a little more than the Diamond and Empress and is well worth it. The build quality is also as good as Diamonds, which is outstanding. I highly recommend :)

braken
06-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Sadly, Surf Green was not an available option for me. That thing looks pretty sweet.

seiko
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Okay

Confession time: I am a tremolo addict, have been ever since owning a Musicman amp and Boss PN2.

I've been through most of them since, except the goatkeeper, because that is really overkill in live performance mode.

As such, I'm going to throw one more option into the ring. The Black Cat mini trem, it isn't as full-featured as either the Diamond or the Doc Scientist, but it might just have the features I actually need in a performance trem and it SOUNDS really good to me in the scant demos I've seen so far online. Can do both present and swampy.

prPw7PDlSKQ

From 3.28 onwards.

Going to check out the Dr scientist and the Black Cat out side-by-side soon.

Realfi
07-05-2011, 02:00 AM
I've been such a trem junkie through the years. I think I've had most of the usual suspects.

I found the two tappers I've tried, the Cusack V1 and the Diamond to be rather unexciting tonally compared to other things I've had such as the Vibutron, Powerglide and Demeter. I currently have a Telenordia TT3 which is very fat sounding but being germanium a bit gritty rather than pristine.

I also have a Black Cat Mini Trem which I'm still getting used to. Very interested in the new Dr Scientist Tremolessence and also the unique features of the Pigtronix Tremvelope but I haven't heard either.