PDA

View Full Version : Sansamp through an acoustic amp?

deebow
06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Anybody tried this? I gig with an electric guitar plus acoustic guitar and a ukulele, and I'm tired of lugging two amps. So I'm getting a Tech 21 Liverpool and Gaspedals Carb (for that Vox-y sound) to go into the power section of my Genz Benz Shenandoah Compak 300, then route the electric to a 12" speaker cab with an Eminence Tonkerlite. I might even remove the Compak amp chassis and just use that and the 12" cabinet, plus an exterior tweeter for the acoustics.

So, am I a genius (is there a Nobel prize for rigs?) or is this just a foolish notion? I play small venues, and I've been playing electric through a Tech 21 Trademark so I like their sound. Anybody know other ways to deal with acoustic and electric in one rig?

Thanks!

62Tele
06-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Anybody tried this? I gig with an electric guitar plus acoustic guitar and a ukulele, and I'm tired of lugging two amps. So I'm getting a Tech 21 Liverpool and Gaspedals Carb (for that Vox-y sound) to go into the power section of my Genz Benz Shenandoah Compak 300, then route the electric to a 12" speaker cab with an Eminence Tonkerlite. I might even remove the Compak amp chassis and just use that and the 12" cabinet, plus an exterior tweeter for the acoustics.

So, am I a genius (is there a Nobel prize for rigs?) or is this just a foolish notion? I play small venues, and I've been playing electric through a Tech 21 Trademark so I like their sound. Anybody know other ways to deal with acoustic and electric in one rig?

Thanks!

I've done this quite a bit with a 200 watt Genz Benz Shen Pro and it works very well indeed. Sounded even better through my old 1x12 EV cab. I think a couple of key points is to have adequate wattage (which you have) and stay away from things like two 5" speaker that some acoustic amps come with. You might not even need a tweeter if you have the right speaker. This is a very stage friendly rig and beats the hell out of hauling several amps. Even better when you consider the line out options on the GB stuff - pretty much stage Legos!

drbob1
06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I haven't gotten the results I'd hoped for from a straight acoustic amp. The Sansamp bass seems to be more than the amp wants to handle and the EQ doesn't line up right. A better solution to my ears is to run the acoustic into a decent preamp, the electric into the Sansamp and both into a powered monitor speaker like the JBL Eon, Mackie SRM or Crown K2. Use a little mixer and you get better results for vocals, too! Keyboard amps also work well for this...

tech21nyc
06-30-2011, 08:58 AM
The thing is with an acoustic amp it is usually designed with a FR speaker system but it also has EQ curves that are designed to work well with an acoustic instrument. Those type of scooped mids, notches, etc. will not play nice with the amp emulation in our Character Series pedals. This is not to say you can't use an acoustic amp. They will work fine as long as you set the EQ as flat as possible when using one of our Character Series pedals.

The OP has a great idea. Running the SansAmp through the power section of his amp and into a guitar speaker will yield the best results for the tone and feel of an amp in a live setting. In general electric guitar sounds do not benefit from a full range system. Most guitar speakers roll off around 5k. The speaker emulation in our products is already rolling off high frequencies to emulate an actual guitar speaker.

deebow
07-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, I just got the Liverpool and it sounds great. This could be my permanent rig. Still need to see how acoustic instruments sound through just the 12" speaker.

62Tele
07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I liked the sound best through the line in on the GB.