PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Mod'ed their Joyo Ultimate Drive yet?

MarkF786
07-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I got a Joyo Ultimate Drive a couple weeks ago but haven't gotten around to mod'ing it yet since my electronics tools and parts stash are in storage; next week I'll have completed my move and have all my stuff back, so I'll mod it sometime in the coming weeks.

Anyway, has anyone mod'ed theirs to the infamous FB AD specs as detailed below? How does it sound? I must admit, I've listened to some FB AD demos that sounded good, so I'm curious if the mod will truly get you there or if there are other tweaks that have been missed.

Thanks,

Mark

"Just so it's clear, if you are modifying the Joyo pedal, the changes are as follows: 330K resistor in parallel (solder across outside lugs) with "OD", 1K5 resistor in parallel with "T", 470K resistor in parallel with "V". Change capacitor "C9" to 100n (104).

If your Joyo pedal does not have a third MOSFET (transistor) near the bottom of the board, you must instead change capacitor "C7" to 100n (104)."

Heady Jam Fan
07-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Someone did, said it did not sound the same, but I have no idea of there modding skills.

Heady Jam Fan
07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Cool, I wonder if that will become a staple on his list.

MarkF786
07-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Mine was modded by Analog Mike. I don't thing he followed those exact mod's though. I have an internal trim pot in mine. It controls the amount of high end that gets thru when the toggle switch is up. When it's down, the trim pot has no effect.

How does it sound?

brain21
07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Mine was modded by Analog Mike. I don't thing he followed those exact mod's though. I have an internal trim pot in mine. It controls the amount of high end that gets thru when the toggle switch is up. When it's down, the trim pot has no effect.

Yeah, how does it sound? Whats the cost? I last looked in his page a couple of days ago to see if there were prices, etc. up for Joyo mods but saw nothing so i figured he wasn't doing them yet.

DonneR
07-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Hmmm wonder if it could be modded to Clay Joyones specs ?

codyj84
07-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I may be in the minority, but I thought it sounded pretty dang good stock. I didn't "need" it, as I have my sound covered... but one of my fellow players LOVED it!

big mike
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Lord don't open that can of worms :facepalm

Jonnygeetard
07-03-2011, 04:05 PM
How about OCD specs?

this1smyne
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
klon specs?

:D

MarkF786
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I may be in the minority, but I thought it sounded pretty dang good stock. I didn't "need" it, as I have my sound covered... but one of my fellow players LOVED it!

I'm at a disadvantage to accurately say how good it sounds, because along with my electronics stuff, I packed away most of my gear while living in an apartment; all I kept out was a mod'ed Classic Vibe tele and a small Roland Cube amp. I don't have my OCD v4 to compare the Joyo to, and I don't have a good amp to play through. With that said, it doesn't seem to sound as good as an OCD nor does it sound as good as the Alpha Drive clips I've seem.

One thing that confuses me about the mods is with the resistors in parallel, I'd think that the tone knob range would be lessened and the gain would be reduced. If that's the case, I don't know how that would improve the Joyo pedal, which sounds muddy if you dial the tone below noon, and also the Joyo doesn't seem to have any less gain that what I've heard in the AD demos.

wundergussy
07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
It will be very ironic when FB has accidentally pioneered a popular mod that makes other builders money.

Jonnygeetard
07-03-2011, 04:34 PM
It's already happened bro.

CharAznable
07-03-2011, 04:39 PM
From the clips I've seen, the Joyo sounds just fine the way it is.

guitarpkr67
07-03-2011, 04:48 PM

:).

wundergussy
07-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Google all swamped with searches for "Clay Jones;" President of Rockwell Collins so psyched his bio has so many hits...

doctorx
07-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Where can you buy them other than Ebay? I mean a reputable dealer.

guitarpkr67
07-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Where can you buy them other than Ebay? I mean a reputable dealer.

Is the dealer on Ebay not reputable? I haven't heard any negative things about them.

Jonnygeetard
07-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I got mine from yoosmart.

http://www.yoosmart.com/musical/guitar-effect-pedal/

JeffOlson
07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I love their description:

"JF-02 is intermedate between distortion and overdrive, different from the normal diode clipping circuit.It could create more active redundancy, and effects of electron tube amplifier and complex harmonic spacious sound. True Bypass."

wundergussy
07-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Finally I can create more redundancy in my tone!

Setting: A dive bar
Dude w/ Mullet: "Damn, this guitarist is pretty damn good!"
Dude w/ Mullet and Herpes: "Shit yes dude, his tone is redundant!"

Trotter
07-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Yep. After I got my Paypal refund for the Alpha I never received, I promptly went to ebay and bought a Joyo for $45 shipped (US Dealer). It arrived 3 days later and I modded it in about 5 minutes at a cost of literally $3. I really dig the sounds I'm getting out of it. Sounds exactly like the Alpha clips I've heard.

doctorx
07-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Is the dealer on Ebay not reputable? I haven't heard any negative things about them.

I'd just like to go someplace on the web and order one with a credit card. I don't do PayHell.

100JH
07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Sure did!

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/files/FullTone_OCD_Pedal.jpg

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Mondoslug
07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Finally I can create more redundancy in my tone!

Setting: A dive bar
Dude w/ Mullet: "Damn, this guitarist is pretty damn good!"
Dude w/ Mullet and Herpes: "Shit yes dude, his tone is redundant!"

When did you say school starts back up? :)

Congrats on the dad thing.

wundergussy
07-03-2011, 09:34 PM
When did you say school starts back up? :)

Congrats on the dad thing.

Dude I got like, two more months! Thanks; I am psyched for Dadhood whenever the little booger decides to show up!

DonneR
07-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Lord don't open that can of worms :facepalm

...I think that it seems it appears in my opinion that someone could do a remake of the goose and the gomer story too :thud:drool;)

brain21
07-04-2011, 12:11 AM
So we have people here that modded it and say the mods make it sound just like the alpha drive clips. We have people here that have done the same mods and say it doesn't sound like the Alpha drive or Dumble-y.

Thanks for nothing! :)

wundergussy
07-04-2011, 12:21 AM
So we have people here that modded it and say the mods make it sound just like the alpha drive clips. We have people here that have done the same mods and say it doesn't sound like the Alpha drive or Dumble-y.

Thanks for nothing! :)

Today a local man accused the internet of not being helpful. Authorities are on the scene now. Action News 6 will stay with this story, and bring you information as it becomes available.