PDA

View Full Version : Scumback Speakers moves production to California...woohoo!

Scumback Speakers
07-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Due to a number of issues that couldn't be resolved with my previous manufacturer, I have moved production of Scumbacks to California. The new production line will be under my direct hands-on supervision, and I'm back to doing R&D on new speaker models, which my previous manufacturer was unable to handle for various reasons.

Scumback Speakers has added two new associates with a combined total of 29 years of loudspeaker-building experience to expedite production in order to achieve a consistently higher quality speaker with improved tone, cosmetics, and reliability. Due to these improvements, the new line of speakers will carry a 1 year warranty. Production is set to start in mid August, 2011.

All previous blue frame Scumbacks will need to be serviced/warrantied/repaired by Weber VST since they refused to supply any parts for repair/reconing. Here is TA Weber's statement regarding warranty/repairs/issues sent to me via email.

"We will not be providing you with cones or any other parts (or techniques) for repair work. If/when you have any 'previous' customers who need repair work done on their speakers, please feel free to direct them to us; we will honor all 'warranty' work (provided that it is an issue on our end); otherwise, it will continue to be $25 + shipping/handling."

StoneAge Cabs
07-09-2011, 08:28 AM
sure has been quiet around these parts...;) Way to go, Jim...congrats!

big mike
07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Good stuff Jim!

louis
07-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Jim!

Does that mean that your back on the drawing board for search of the right cone sound and material
and all the pain you've been through when you started your quest to achieve Pre Rola tone ?

Wish you the best!

Louis

Jef Bardsley
07-09-2011, 08:50 AM
That's really good news, Jim! Best wishes on your new venture.

And yes, I'll be sending you some orders, that last speaker you sent caused a lot of jaws to drop. With everything under your control, things can only get better.

CAFeathers
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Excellent News Jim!!!

Wayne Alexander
07-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Great news, Jim. Go get em.

JiMB
07-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Congratz Jim!

JiMB

edgewound
07-09-2011, 11:17 AM
That's really good news, Jim! Best wishes on your new venture.

And yes, I'll be sending you some orders, that last speaker you sent caused a lot of jaws to drop. With everything under your control, things can only get better.

Sounds like things are off in a positive direction. Great news!

FredW
07-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Good luck Jim!

jitterbug
07-09-2011, 12:43 PM
You are welcome to use my house as a storage facility!

TD_Madden
07-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Are you manufacturing or just assembling?

big mike
07-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Are you manufacturing or just assembling?

Can you define the difference?

Seriously.

I know Weber orders in voice coils, cones, frames and spiders and then assembles....

12strings
07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Jim, any plans on making a early 60s Celestion Blue type speaker with your version or "take" of the H1777 cone? Thanks!

TD_Madden
07-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Can you define the difference?

Seriously.

I know Weber orders in voice coils, cones, frames and spiders and then assembles....

Before we quibble about semantics, please note that I haven't been to Kokomo or California and have no first-hand knowledge if either one of these builders orders-in all the components or manufactiures any of the components.

In the early days, I recall seeing on the Weber page that they actually stamped out their own frames and magnetized the magnets. Don't recall what they said about the soft parts....it's been awhile.

I was also under the impression that the grunt work of creating the previous Scumbacks' sound was done by in-house cone/voice-coil matching, based on samples provided by Jim. That work implies (to me) that it was done in-house at Weber...and using custom-made components to mix and match.

All that said, I'm curious whether Jim has another OEM helping him out in the same way, or is assembling in-house. Just like some brands of electronics, some are "made in USA", some are "assembled in USA" using components made elsewhere.

Also curious regarding the R&D aspect of the notice; I had thought the current stable of products were based on the "holy grail" of tones....what else could Jim be looking for?

I've got (and used) speakers from most of the current manufacturers, and overall I'm curious regarding the differences.

big mike
07-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Not debating just curious your take.
As i understand weber is not stamping their own frames.

Jim S
07-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Congrats.

But you should have set up across the stateline in NV!
;)

TD_Madden
07-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Not debating just curious your take.
As i understand weber is not stamping their own frames.

I'm guessing that almost nobody does it all in-house anymore, but I'm curious to what hands-on extent Jim's new crew has in the building of his new stuff.

J.T. Guitar
07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing and playing the new stuff Jim. With all due respect, I have never been able to bond with Webers. Even as much as I tried to bond with your Weber made speakers, they just never took the place of my ASWs and Celestions.

spkrbldr
07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Good luck Jim! Good to see you back around here

celestion101
07-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Jim...you rolled that out so politely! :D We've talked a lot since this all took place and I know you'll do great. Congrats!

To TD Madden...Jim will be "building them" as much as anyone else. Nobody builds their own frames, cones, mines the earth for magnet materials, etc. You spec the parts and assemble using your own techinques (doping etc).

solitaire
07-09-2011, 04:44 PM
As i understand weber is not stamping their own frames.Weber is not stamping their own frames, but I believe the frames is of Weber design. I remember from before Ted Sr's demise the twists and turns of the Utah baskets and their design, which eventually ended up as the new hi-power series baskets - and then the 15" hot dogs.

n.j.
07-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Congratulations Jim, sounds like a great move. I can't wait to hear the new speakers.

TD_Madden
07-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Weber is not stamping their own frames, but I believe the frames is of Weber design. I remember from before Ted Sr's demise the twists and turns of the Utah baskets and their design, which eventually ended up as the new hi-power series baskets - and then the 15" hot dogs.

That's sort of the same type of info I was thinking about.

Leonc
07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Excellent; very glad to see this move coming to pass. A really smart new direction!

Last Nerve
07-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Great News, Jim!
Glad to hear of your plans.

luxxtone
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
YES! Nice going Jim, can't wait to hear some of the new stuff. Congrats!!

Samsun19
07-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey Jim,

Congrats on the beginning of your next Scumbag chapter....

Very exciting news.

Wishing you all the Best!

Sam

GTRJohnny
07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Well this is cool, I think. Best of luck, Jim! I look forward to checking out all the new stuff... :)

edgewound
07-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Weber is not stamping their own frames, but I believe the frames is of Weber design. I remember from before Ted Sr's demise the twists and turns of the Utah baskets and their design, which eventually ended up as the new hi-power series baskets - and then the 15" hot dogs.

Scumback frames are not a Weber design. A Scumback is a recreation of a vintage design of which Weber did not design.

Loni Specter
07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Congratulations Jim! Try not to inhale that glue. Always wear a respirator and safety glasses. And don't forget the Tecate and hotdogs! :love:

StockRock
07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
As a Scumback owner and user, I look forward to Jim's conquest of the cone. That elusive paper cone, I bet, is on the way now.

Rod
07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Congrats Jim!!!

In Absentia
07-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Any chance you will be making a V30 style speaker that fixes the inherent sonic problems of the original?

Scumback Speakers
07-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Any chance you will be making a V30 style speaker that fixes the inherent sonic problems of the original?
Didn't really have that one on the R&D list, sir. Rather than get into this online, why don't you email me about what you'd like and I can tell you whether or not that's something I'm going to do in the future?

Of course, now that I'm doing production and building here, I might entertain a one-off custom speaker for you as well.

Robal
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I had been reluctant to buy Scumback speakers because the warranty was only 30 days and I thought that was too short, particularly compared to other speaker vendors. I understood Scumback's 30 day limit was dictated by Weber. The change to a one-year warranty is a nice feature.

1moreknob
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Congratulations Jim. You Sir, understand customer service!! I am sure it's stressful now, but it sounds like you have taken the bull by the horns and you now are in control!

v-verb
07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Congrats Jim!

Scumback Speakers
07-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Robal, I hear you, I always detested that puny warranty. Of course I now understand why that's all that was offered.

1moreknob, it was a lot more stressful trying to figure out what I did wrong. Recent discoveries made it clear to me that having a credit card that was never declined wasn't the issue.

v-verb: Thanks very much, my north of the border buddy!

Long day of shipping/packing/testing...I have a cocktail going now, thank God. When you start your day at 6:30 PST am with a call to Kurt Mueller in the UK to finalize your cone/parts order, you get an idea of what it is to run your own business. They are 8 hours ahead of me. So 6:30 am here is 2:30 pm their time.

I'm just waiting on parts to show up in mid August now...so I get a "forced" vacation for a few weeks.

Jeez, maybe I should play my guitar and not the keyboard, huh? Time to take my own advice!

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes, the good times are only a few weeks away now.

GTRJohnny
07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
If you're makin' speakers, you should start makin' cabs again. And, if you're gonna be makin' speakers and cabs, you should start making amp heads. And, that can only lead to combos... So, when are your combos due out? ;)

Scumback Speakers
07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
If you're makin' speakers, you should start makin' cabs again. And, if you're gonna be makin' speakers and cabs, you should start making amp heads. And, that can only lead to combos... So, when are your combos due out? ;)
Hah! I have a tweed covered Capt Crunch combo here, and a black tolex Major Crunch 2x12 combo here as well.

Which one do you want? ;)

Ian Anderson
07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Congrats Jim. This is good news!

Scumback Speakers
07-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Congrats Jim. This is good news!
Thanks Ian. I just realized I met you 9 frigging years ago due to the LPF Jams I used to host. How our lives have changed, huh? LOL

Best wishes back to you on your gorgeous guitars!

Ian Anderson
07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks Ian. I just realized I met you 9 frigging years ago due to the LPF Jams I used to host. How our lives have changed, huh? LOL

Best wishes back to you on your gorgeous guitars!

Thanks!

Wow 9 years... Yeah a lot has happened since then, and it actually seems like 9 years ago. Those jams were great. When's the next one? :)

Scumback Speakers
07-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks!

Wow 9 years... Yeah a lot has happened since then, and it actually seems like 9 years ago. Those jams were great. When's the next one? :)

LOL, I'll see what I can put together...maybe for the LA Amp Show on Oct 1st/2nd.

CDA
07-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Excellent; very glad to see this move coming to pass. A really smart new direction!

???? :horse

Great speakers... Absolutely the wrong state to manufacture anything...

Just saying... This is the builders & retailers forum btw..

I'm eyeballing Texas. Need a sense of normalcy. You know.. Work hard and keep most of it!

"This is America Jack"

Scumback Speakers
07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I tried to make a move to Austin a few years back. My wife has her Mom here, we need to stay close since she's 89 and having some health issues. That alone has taken up a good portion of my time lately.

I was looking forward to being close to my brother, who has a little band that plays out, and they'd love to have me sit in. But it's not in the cards to make a move there, especially now that I'm taking over making my speakers here in California.

edgewound
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I tried to make a move to Austin a few years back. My wife has her Mom here, we need to stay close since she's 89 and having some health issues. That alone has taken up a good portion of my time lately.

I was looking forward to being close to my brother, who has a little band that plays out, and they'd love to have me sit in. But it's not in the cards to make a move there, especially now that I'm taking over making my speakers here in California.

The application of the moving coil dynamic loudspeaker was developed in Napa, California. Why would you want to make them anywhere else?

8Mzj32hQQFQ

...aside from, well...you know...forbidden discussion...

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 06:36 AM
LOL, I talked to my brother in Austin on Monday. He said it was high 90's/low 100's with pretty high humidity...which reminds me of Minnesota where I grew up.

There are still mosquito flight commanders with squadrons waiting for my return there, I'm betting.

ssdeluxe
07-13-2011, 06:46 AM
best of luck Jim! I love your speakers, and figure things can only get more awesome with this move.

big mike
07-13-2011, 06:56 AM
LOL, I talked to my brother in Austin on Monday. He said it was high 90's/low 100's with pretty high humidity...which reminds me of Minnesota where I grew up.

There are still mosquito flight commanders with squadrons waiting for my return there, I'm betting.

Nuked on brimstone impact.

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Nuked on brimstone impact.
Maybe, but mosquitoes are tough in Minnesota, since there's high humidity and temperatures there, too.

I don't think they'd be put off by the brimstone as much as you'd think!

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 07:02 AM
best of luck Jim! I love your speakers, and figure things can only get more awesome with this move.

Thank you sir!

mwc2112
07-13-2011, 07:21 AM
That's great news Jim! The M75 I had when I was using amps was, hands down, the finest speaker I have ever used. I can't wait to see what you come up with... and I just might have to get an amp or two to wrap around them. ;)

will132
07-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Back home in Grand Rapids Mn for the month and it's sunny, mid 70's. Can't beat the summers here Jim. Mosquitos aren't as bad as I remember.

J.T. Guitar
07-13-2011, 07:24 AM
???? :horse

Great speakers... Absolutely the wrong state to manufacture anything...

Just saying... This is the builders & retailers forum btw..

I'm eyeballing Texas. Need a sense of normalcy. You know.. Work hard and keep most of it!

"This is America Jack"

:aok

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Back home in Grand Rapids Mn for the month and it's sunny, mid 70's. Can't beat the summers here Jim. Mosquitos aren't as bad as I remember.
Well, I did leave MN in 1971, maybe the summers are nicer where you are, but in Eden Prairie/Edina area, we lived next to a lake (not hard to do there!) and those suckers damned near drank me dry!

ontariomaximus
07-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Good to see things are moving along nicely. The silence was killing me.

Randy
M75/H75 2x12

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Good to see things are moving along nicely. The silence was killing me.

Randy
M75/H75 2x12

Randy, LOL...me, too. I was advised not to post until I had pretty well confirmed date of when all the parts were getting here to start production.

Of course, getting a couple of experienced speaker building guys was paramount, setting up jigs/tolerances for the speaker builds, and dialing in the glues/treatment/etc all takes time.

The improved doping (damping) compound is just like the old pre rola speakers...smooth, dry, and consistent in thickness when applied.

The voice coils are an exact spec fit to the Celestion versions, and I've got the same flat spider that used to be supplied coming, too. I had to pay for tooling with Kurt Mueller to get that done, and that took a few extra weeks to manufacture. I also got the standard Celestion spider so I could do proper rebuilds/recones of the Celestion frames.

I was rebuilding a couple of the blue framed Scumbacks yesterday to fill orders. One had voice coil rub out of the box due to the improper gap being set, the other had it's voice coil set so deep that it was totally out of spec with my original designs. I sent pics to a few speaker companies to review and they confirmed that it would have probably bottomed out against the back magnet plate and been damaged. They were shocked to see the pics, quite frankly...however I'm getting used to these surprises now.

The new builds look so much better, fit perfectly and sound great, too. No more annoying cone cry/other noises since they're tested right on the bench with a wave form generator, 150w power amp (no we don't crank it!) before the gasket is glued down.

I have to give credit to my suppliers on some of this. They gave me the choice of going with what I had before, or the exact spec on parts true to the Celestion specs, so I went with the second option.

That resulted in a much tighter fit/tolerance without having to cut the cones to fit around the over-sized voice coil, and trimming the cones to fit.
So once the cone is treated, it takes (literally) about 8 seconds to fit the parts together, another minute to set the gap/depth of the coil, and make sure there's nothing goofy going on.

It still takes another 8-10 minutes to build the speaker, and another 5-10 to dope it properly and glue it down, but the result is damned near perfect.

Here's a pic of a Scumnico that had to be rebuilt recently since the original was bad out of the box. Pretty sure this one went to a TGP member here in So Cal. Maybe he'll chime in about how it sounds.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/sspics/ss-scumnico.jpg

Glad to hear you're digging your M/H mix, sir!

dukeh62
07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Great news Jim! Congrats on the step forward. I'm loving the hell out of my M75 that's in my 5E3. Can't wait to grab more!

Eric Ducoff

J.T. Guitar
07-13-2011, 10:30 AM
:beer Here is to doing things right Jim!

Groberts
07-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I would be very intested in an Alnico speaker that is closer to an old Celestion Blue than the Scumnico which is just a bit darker sounding to my ears.

r9player
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Very cool, welcome back! Still loving my scumback which well i've now had for years and still trouble free :)

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I would be very intested in an Alnico speaker that is closer to an old Celestion Blue than the Scumnico which is just a bit darker sounding to my ears.
I'll have to see what I can do about that, as soon as I get access to a holy grail H1777 paper voice coil Blue (circa 65-67), or did you want the 003 cone (late 67-73) version?

frankencat
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Didn't really have that one on the R&D list, sir. Rather than get into this online, why don't you email me about what you'd like and I can tell you whether or not that's something I'm going to do in the future?

Of course, now that I'm doing production and building here, I might entertain a one-off custom speaker for you as well.

Jim, I don't know if you remember but we talked about this (V30 based) a few years back. If you end up doing some of these I would definitely be game to try them. Thanks -Frank

Fretts
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Guys, I have been in on this Scumback speaker thing since day one, and I mean Day One. My friendship with Jim predates by a long shot any involvement with Weber VST. I also have the dubious honor/blame of coming up with the name Scumback... just a play on words, combining "Greenback" and "Scumbag" - the name of the amp that needed an equally good speaker.
I have wanted to say something for a while now but waited for the dust to settle before posting anything.
I watched Jim buy Celestion after Celestion, comparing years, models, details and sounds. I believe Jim when he says he bought every 12" guitar speaker variation Celestion made during the great golden time period we all love so much. He conducted an exhaustive, expensive, and yes, probably even obsessive study before finally settling on the definitive Celestion product that they made only briefly and long off the market.
By buying up all the available ones on the market, Jim did to Celestion prices what Stephen Stills did to Martin guitar prices -- they went way up as a result. He priced himself out of his own market!
Then I watched from the side as Jim started a long and also very expensive process of prototyping a suitable replica using the manufacturing resources of Ted Weber's company. This was a contract for custom, OEM work, something special and very specific not offered in the Weber product line. I know he sent Ted several dead Celestion units that were OK to disassemble and examine, along with holy grail "tone target" Celestions for each of the models he was shooting for.
Weber naturally charged his build fee for the custom prototypes, each variation, each repeat and there were a lot of them. A lot of money changed hands before the tone was nailed to Jim's satisfaction. At that point, Jim had a proprietary custom-made speaker, dialed-in and spec'd out to his requirements and funded by his bank account. Ted was very helpful and knew how to add or subtract more of this or that upon request. But if Weber had the wherewithal or vision to make a speaker of this specific type before Jim and his expensive R&D commitment, it certainly did not appear in their product line -- If it had, Jim would have bought it in a heartbeat and saved about $40,000 in research!
In my opinion, the results of all the money spent and the hundreds of hours of R&D belong to Jim and the formula goes with him, wherever he chooses to have the assembly done. So... the situation with Weber changed for who-knows what reasons, it could just be that TA has a different focus, different priorities... it doesn't matter. They make lots of good speakers, no problem there, I have some myself.
The point is that it's Jim who did all that research, spent all that money and commissioned all that prototyping and dialing-in to achieve a very specific formula. The results of that funded research and development should, and do, belong to Jim.
As for the new Legacy speaker that has curiously appeared in the Weber product line at the exact same time as Seavall and Weber have parted ways... well, I'm not going to worry about it. If I want a real Scumback I'll get it from the source --Scumback Speakers.

As a very picky tone freak, I'll be following Jim Seavall; that's where the make-it-happen is coming from. I trust Jim's single-minded fanatical pursuit of tone no matter where his speakers are assembled. If he told me tomorrow that he was moving the whole production to Tibet, and that they sounded great, I'd believe it.

Groberts
07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll have to see what I can do about that, as soon as I get access to a holy grail H1777 paper voice coil Blue (circa 65-67), or did you want the 003 cone (late 67-73) version?

I didn't know there were two versions. LOL I would defer to whichever you believe is more classic, desirable and reflective of what many players associate with old/classic Celestion Blues (opposed to the new/current Celestion Blues) Thanks!

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I didn't know there were two versions. LOL I would defer to whichever you believe is more classic, desirable and reflective of what many players associate with old/classic Celestion Blues (opposed to the new/current Celestion Blues) Thanks!

Well, if you want to get technical and picky, the History of Marshall indicates there were several.

One for Vox, one for Marshall, variations on each, yada yada yada.

The same goes for all of the other pre rola speakers they made...changed suspension, changed doping, changed the surround (cloth or paper), changed the coil, changed the underwear, changed the lipstick...oh wait...sorry got carried away there!

This is why it's important to have cone #'s, date codes and Txxxx (T652 is one alnico frame #) frame codes to narrow it down.

Even then changes can occur that affect the tone, something I found out the hard way in my speaker buying/recreation saga.

Groberts
07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, if you want to get technical and picky, the History of Marshall indicates there were several.

One for Vox, one for Marshall, variations on each, yada yada yada.

The same goes for all of the other pre rola speakers they made...changed suspension, changed doping, changed the surround (cloth or paper), changed the coil, changed the underwear, changed the lipstick...oh wait...sorry got carried away there!

This is why it's important to have cone #'s, date codes and Txxxx (T652 is one alnico frame #) frame codes to narrow it down.

Even then changes can occur that affect the tone, something I found out the hard way in my speaker buying/recreation saga.

In that, God only knows. I'm thinking classic Vox Alnico Blue tone heralding from the British AC30 or AC15 vintage.

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 05:30 PM
In that, God only knows. I'm thinking classic Vox Alnico Blue tone heralding from the British AC30 or AC15 vintage.
LOL, well, you've narrowed it down to two popular ones, H1777 cone and 003 cone. Get me a year of your AC30 and AC15 and that will help. Early is H1777, 67 and on I have to figure 102 003 cone.

motis1953
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Congratulations. It's great to see someone who truly cares more about the quality of his product than squeezing an extra dime out the customer by doing something in an inferior way. The Scumbacks I've been using are extremely musical. Keep up the good work. If you're looking for something new to do, the vintage speakers in old Fender amps could use some Scumbackification.

Scumback Speakers
07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Congratulations. It's great to see someone who truly cares more about the quality of his product than squeezing an extra dime out the customer by doing something in an inferior way. The Scumbacks I've been using are extremely musical. Keep up the good work. If you're looking for something new to do, the vintage speakers in old Fender amps could use some Scumbackification.

Thanks very much, sir! But I am just buried in orders, and the new R&D for the paper voice coil 20w project is next.

Recreating a Fender vintage speaker tone is something I'll leave to others for the moment, although I appreciate your thoughts about my involvement being a potential improvement.

Glad to hear your speakers are working well for you!

GTRJohnny
07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
the vintage speakers in old Fender amps could use some Scumbackification.

:agree

Roe
07-16-2011, 02:08 AM
welcome back Jim! I'll be saving up for paper voice coils, one 10H75, and possibly some blackbacks

Groberts
07-16-2011, 10:57 AM
What exactly is a blackback gonna be? Not sure I understand what that speaker is supposed to replicate or be like? Thanks!

Roe
07-16-2011, 10:59 AM
a blackback is a celestion from the late 70s (post 73, ac/dc era)

Scumback Speakers
07-16-2011, 11:34 AM
What exactly is a blackback gonna be? Not sure I understand what that speaker is supposed to replicate or be like? Thanks!

BlackBacks are a later variation of the G12M/G12H30's. Made from early 1975-1979. They used the Kurt Mueller 1777 75hz and 444 55hz bass response cones, and were a different tone than the Pulsonic 102 003 and 102 014 (respectively) cones that I bought over 400 of to recreate the Scumback line of speakers (and variations).

Basically the BlackBacks have a more aggressive, brighter and louder tone than the pre rola versions made from 65-73.

There's a huge thread I started 6 plus years ago on the subject of the differences below.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67646

wrxplayer
08-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Hope you can make them as good as your previous manufacturer did. You've got a lot of fans here of your speakers.

J.T. Guitar
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Hope you can make them as good as your previous manufacturer did. You've got a lot of fans here of your speakers.

I'm betting on better! :)

GTRJohnny
08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Jim, how is production going? Also, any thoughts on entering the vintage American market (ie: Jensen repros) :)

Scumback Speakers
08-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Jim, how is production going? Also, any thoughts on entering the vintage American market (ie: Jensen repros) :)

My 1st order of speaker frames is getting here around the 9-10th of September. This was due to a shortage of alnico magnets, so that delayed the entire order. Next time I'll order my ceramic magnet speaker frames separate as they were done weeks ago and the shipment would have already been here. All of my other parts have arrived already, and I'm raring to go, though!

I've ordered another 480 frames already to keep up with orders, they'll arrive in early October.

While I've got lots of vintage Celestion speaker tone experience, I'm not that knowledgeable of all of the American models, so I'm not branching out to that area unless I sea a demand for that type of product. I would suggest going to Eminence, Jensen or other manufacturers to find those types of speakers, sir.

GTRJohnny
08-24-2011, 07:25 AM
My 1st order of speaker frames is getting here around the 9-10th of September. This was due to a shortage of alnico magnets, so that delayed the entire order. Next time I'll order my ceramic magnet speaker frames separate as they were done weeks ago and the shipment would have already been here. All of my other parts have arrived already, and I'm raring to go, though!

I've ordered another 480 frames already to keep up with orders, they'll arrive in early October.

While I've got lots of vintage Celestion speaker tone experience, I'm not that knowledgeable of all of the American models, so I'm not branching out to that area unless I sea a demand for that type of product. I would suggest going to Eminence, Jensen or other manufacturers to find those types of speakers, sir.

Thanks, Jim.. I am excited for you. I'm sure these are going rock! :rockin

J.T. Guitar
08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Cool Jim... Can't wait to hear the results. I'd love to see you make an exact "20 watt" GB. I heard an early 70's 4x12 Marshall with those the other day... Yum!

Scumback Speakers
09-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Just an update on the new California Production Scumbacks. There was a delay in my order of frames due to an alnico magnet shortage. That delayed the frames an extra 2.5 weeks. I was just notified that the first order of 540 frames are in LA Harbor waiting to be unloaded and passed through customs.

I'm told that will be 2-3 days, so I can pickup the frames on Friday or Saturday depending. Apparently the warehouse is open 24/7 for picking up shipments (yikes!).

Then it will be speaker building time for the next two weeks. I plan on getting 30-35 speakers built per day with full waveform testing, QC, etc. I have 250 on back order already, so that's going to take 8-10 days to build, plus the 100 I want to have "in stock" for my most popular models.

My next order of 480 frames is due to arrive the 10th of October. Now that I have frames in the pipeline, I should be able to build and ship speakers within a week of an order placed, if they're not already built. Thanks for your patience while I made the transition from my previous manufacturer to building these "in house".

r9player
09-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Kewl hope things will go smooth from here on out for you Jim. Love the Scumback I have!

Rod
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM
That's great....Go getum Jim!!! great speakers!!!

jamison162
09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Time to order! Hmm, let's see...how about an 8 ohm, 65w, BM75 for starters!!!

GTRJohnny
09-14-2011, 09:41 PM
That's basically good news - thanks for the update, Jim. I look forward to hearing the new Scumnicos... :aok

Just an update on the new California Production Scumbacks. There was a delay in my order of frames due to an alnico magnet shortage. That delayed the frames an extra 2.5 weeks. I was just notified that the first order of 540 frames are in LA Harbor waiting to be unloaded and passed through customs.

I'm told that will be 2-3 days, so I can pickup the frames on Friday or Saturday depending. Apparently the warehouse is open 24/7 for picking up shipments (yikes!).

Then it will be speaker building time for the next two weeks. I plan on getting 30-35 speakers built per day with full waveform testing, QC, etc. I have 250 on back order already, so that's going to take 8-10 days to build, plus the 100 I want to have "in stock" for my most popular models.

My next order of 480 frames is due to arrive the 10th of October. Now that I have frames in the pipeline, I should be able to build and ship speakers within a week of an order placed, if they're not already built. Thanks for your patience while I made the transition from my previous manufacturer to building these "in house".

Groberts
09-15-2011, 12:13 AM
That's basically good news - thanks for the update, Jim. I look forward to hearing the new Scumnicos... :aok

Will the new Scumnico's be any different sounding than the old? Design changes or same stuff, new California build?

Scumback Speakers
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Will the new Scumnico's be any different sounding than the old? Design changes or same stuff, new California build?

I'll have the Scumnico tone as before, just in satin black frames, with a longer warranty and better build/construction.

EDIT: I am working on some other cone treatments/doping patterns, etc to make some new versions of the Scumnico, but that's going to take a good 4-5 weeks to dial in since I have so many speakers to build to fill back orders. As of this morning 275 speakers are prepaid that need to be built first, then I want to build another 100 for stock, and I need some demo speakers as well. So after I get my frames I'll be busy right up to end of the month.

MadFrank
09-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Good luck, Jim! Hope it's all smooth waters ahead for the new set-up. :wave

Scumback Speakers
09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Good luck, Jim! Hope it's all smooth waters ahead for the set-up. :wave
Thanks very much! It sucks waiting for the phone call to come pickup your frames, though. Oh well, my forced vacation will be over in the next couple days I'm told, so no biggie.

Scumback Speakers
09-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Just an update.

My frames have arrived and are due to clear customs on Friday, or Monday at the latest. Then I can pick them up and start building speakers. I expect it to take about 8-10 days to get through the 325 speakers on back order. So as long as the customs folks don’t find WMD’s in my speaker frames, I’ll be getting these shipped out in the next two weeks, and building them in order of when payment was made (seems to be the fairest thing to do to me).

JiMB
09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Great news Jim!

GTRJohnny
09-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Just an update.

My frames have arrived and are due to clear customs on Friday, or Monday at the latest. Then I can pick them up and start building speakers. I expect it to take about 8-10 days to get through the 325 speakers on back order. So as long as the customs folks donít find MWDís in my speaker frames, Iíll be getting these shipped out in the next two weeks, and building them in order of when payment was made (seems to be the fairest thing to do to me).

Jim, I had heard rumor that you might be postponing your 10" Scumnico for now, is this true? If so, are there plans to work this back into the line-up once the back-orders are cleared? Thanks man... :)

Scumback Speakers
09-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Jim, I had heard rumor that you might be postponing your 10" Scumnico for now, is this true? If so, are there plans to work this back into the line-up once the back-orders are cleared? Thanks man... :)
I've canceled all of the 10" speakers until further notice. I only sold about 20-30 per year anyway, and the minimum order for 10" frames was 200 pieces per model. I decided that I didn't need 600 10" speakers sitting here for the next 12 years right now. I've got three 10M75's left, two 16 ohm, 1 8 ohm, and that's it. I even raped the demo cabs for speakers to fill orders since I had a number of bad ones in my last few orders that were sent to me.

So for the foreseeable future, no more 10" Scumbacks, or Scumnicos. Sorry, sir!

jamison162
09-16-2011, 10:07 PM
So as long as the customs folks don’t find MWD’s in my speaker frames...

So Jim, what's a MWD? Do tell....hahaha....I know what you meant!

GTRJohnny
09-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Master of Wild Distortion? :huh

Scumback Speakers
09-16-2011, 11:19 PM

LOL, I'm guilty of a typo...fixed it.

Master of Wild Distortion? :huh

Ha ha...you must have heard me play. :rotflmao

jamison162
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Anything shipping yet...anxious to hear some initial feedback from some of your "first" customers. On standby for a BM75.

wichita
09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Congrats Jim,
We just moved Retro stuff to Austin..
Its good to have it near you right?

Due to a number of issues that couldn't be resolved with my previous manufacturer, I have moved production of Scumbacks to California. The new production line will be under my direct hands-on supervision, and I'm back to doing R&D on new speaker models, which my previous manufacturer was unable to handle for various reasons.

Scumback Speakers has added two new associates with a combined total of 29 years of loudspeaker-building experience to expedite production in order to achieve a consistently higher quality speaker with improved tone, cosmetics, and reliability. Due to these improvements, the new line of speakers will carry a 1 year warranty. Production is set to start in mid August, 2011.

All previous blue frame Scumbacks will need to be serviced/warrantied/repaired by Weber VST since they refused to supply any parts for repair/reconing. Here is TA Weber's statement regarding warranty/repairs/issues sent to me via email.

"We will not be providing you with cones or any other parts (or techniques) for repair work. If/when you have any 'previous' customers who need repair work done on their speakers, please feel free to direct them to us; we will honor all 'warranty' work (provided that it is an issue on our end); otherwise, it will continue to be $25 + shipping/handling."

Scumback Speakers
09-23-2011, 09:29 AM
The frames have been in the harbor for 11 days now. They were ready for inspection a week ago yesterday (9 days ago). I just got an email from my freight forwarder last night saying customs "might" clear them today, but no guarantees.

Consequently I've been sitting here with a brand new pallet truck/jack for 9 days, waiting on clearance.

I hope they're cleared today, then the three of us can build through the weekend and do our best to get caught up on orders/shipping.

But this extra 6-8 days wasn't what I was expecting. Everything from the UK takes 1 day to process through customs. I figured 2-3 days max...not 10...

So nothing is built yet, hence, no clips jamison. I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting to go get them and start building. Looks like that's what I'll be doing right up until the LA AMP Show, and afterwards.

Lance...yeah, it is nice to have all the materials/parts/building here. No more excuses on shipping, quality control, etc....aside from US Customs that is. :crazyguy

jamison162
09-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Everything from the UK takes 1 day to process through customs. I figured 2-3 days max...not 10...

So where did you order frames from....Uganda? Hahaha, I kid.

I'm sure your anxious to start rolling.

Scumback Speakers
09-23-2011, 11:11 AM
You'd have thought I ordered them from Pluto and the warp drive broke down.

Groberts
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I am looking forward to the Scumback re-birth and flight of the Phoenix!! Will probably place an order for an M75 and / or a Scumnico sometime soon. But just sitting tight since there is still the back log!

Crystal Ball: I predict GREAT feedback and success for Scumback going forward. There is no reason to expect anything other than praise for great speakers, great service, great tone, ...from an American builder no less! It's going to be a great Fall 2011!

Scumback Speakers
09-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Customs has finished inspecting my frames in the container. Now they have to take the container back to the bonded warehouse to be unpacked. Crossing my fingers that I can rent a truck and go get them today.

:bow

Darkburst
09-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Make it happen Jim. I need some new M75's!

:D

joek86
09-23-2011, 02:45 PM
This is almost like having a baby! LOL.... I'm going to have to QC one of those babies once things are stablized for you Jim!

~Joe

nac
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Glad to hear things are working out. I LOVE my Scumbacks and need a few more :)

Scumback Speakers
09-23-2011, 03:23 PM
This is almost like having a baby! LOL.... I'm going to have to QC one of those babies once things are stablized for you Jim!

~Joe

:spit Right, 540 babies now, 480 more in about 3 weeks...I'm going to be sore. :crazyguy

GTRJohnny
09-23-2011, 03:33 PM
:spit right, 540 babies now, 480 more in about 3 weeks...i'm going to be sore. :crazyguy

breathe and push!! ;)

joek86
09-23-2011, 04:18 PM
:spit Right, 540 babies now, 480 more in about 3 weeks...I'm going to be sore. :crazyguy

Lube........

Scumback Speakers
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
breathe and push!! ;)

Lube........

:spit Thanks a lot for that advice! Lube...sheesh. :crazyguy

:D

Just heard from the freight forwarder...they've got the container back, and are unloading it. Now they're trying to get it setup so I can come down tomorrow and pick them up around 10-10:30 am.

Sigh...this is worse than having a baby. LOL

Loni Specter
09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Mazel-Tov! Looking forward to seeing the new speakers!
I can't believe the show's only 1 week away. :JAM

Scumback Speakers
09-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Typical...customs couldn't get the frames back to my freight forwarder in time for tomorrow. Looks like Monday, and a lot of work next week.

Scumback Speakers
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Scumback Speakers in production in California 9/28/11

We are in production as of yesterday here in California. Customs decided to hold up my frame order for 15 days (got here the 12th, released on the 27th) to inspect it. When we unpacked all five pallets, there was a total of one box opened and re-taped with a Homeland Security/Customs seal on it. Not sure why that took 15 days...but there you go.

The first 15 speakers were built yesterday (couldn't get started until noon), we expect to produce around 25-30 per day, more as the process streamlines.

I have 265 speakers on back order, so that will take 8-10 days to get those caught up and built. I am building/shipping them in the order they were paid/ordered, which is only fair to those who have waited the longest. I am not going to have a room at the LA AMP Show, there just wasn't enough time to build 24 speakers, break them in and load them into cabs with two days to go before loading up on Friday.

I am going to have two 4x12 cabs at the Freidman Amps/Tone Merchants room. There will be four M75 16 ohm 65w and four of the new BlackBack version BM75-16 65w in each cab. I will also have a Scumnico loaded 1x12 at the Tungsten Amps room with Adam Palow.

After the back orders are caught up, I will have another 100 built for stock of my most popular models, so that order times will decrease dramatically.

My second order of frames (480) arrive in late October, now that I have the frame pipeline going.

Here are some pics of the new production models below. Many thanks to the Scumback clients who have waited for their orders through the transition period!

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/sspics/m75.jpg
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/sspics/sscone.jpg
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/sspics/h75.jpg
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/sspics/scumnico.jpg

Rod
09-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Congrats Jim!!! Sometimes ya just got to do it yourself if you want it done right!!

J.T. Guitar
09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Awesome!

Loni Specter
09-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Jim, Speakers look great! We'll miss the Scumback room this year at the show and glad you will have representation there with your friends! So no Tecate and dogs? Guess I better bring a sack lunch!

Scumback Speakers
09-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Jim, Speakers look great! We'll miss the Scumback room this year at the show and glad you will have representation there with your friends! So no Tecate and dogs? Guess I better bring a sack lunch!

Yeah, no Tecates and Hebrew Nationals this year, sir...sorry! I just didn't have the time to do it right, and fill my back orders on speakers.

If customs had taken 5 days instead of 15...no problem...but they didn't.

Ok back to work here treating cones, and building speakers.

Groberts
09-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Thrilled to see things moving forward for you! Looking good! Any plans for an updated magnet sticker? LOL

Scumback Speakers
09-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Thrilled to see things moving forward for you! Looking good! Any plans for an updated magnet sticker? LOL

LOL, yeah, I'll change the magnet sticker in about 3500 more frames, when I run out of the ones I already have. LOL

Oz Hofstatter
09-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry I'm late for this party, but congrats Jim for the great move!
I love Scumbacks Speakers!!! :love:
Best,
Oz