PDA

View Full Version : I want an Auto Wah; what should I get? Guyatone WR-3 or other?

discountsounds
07-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I've been considering getting an auto wah but I'm not familiar with what's available out there, especially in true bypass boutique land. My priorities:

- No tone-sucking!
- Not too pricey ($150 would be pushing it)
- Not too many switches and knobs

The Guyatone WR-3 is on the top of my list right now. I've been mostly pleased with their MD-3 delay especially in terms of being non-tone-sucking. Also, it's only about $65 and it has two knobs and one switch.

If you use (or have used) a WR-3, please weigh in with what your experience has been. If you have other suggestions, let's hear them. Thanks!

Jim Martin
07-20-2005, 02:11 AM
I like the EMMA DisCUMbobulator. Really fast response time, sounds great and it will wah up or down. You could probably find one used in your price range.

fr8_trane
07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
I've done some looking into autowahs and I think the best pedals in your price range are the Guyatone and the MXR M-120 ($110). The guyatone is cool because its small, cheap and has a blend feature. If I had the spare change I would already own one.

jordanL
07-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I have a Wr-3 and think its definitely a good little pedal. I really like the blend feature, your tone doesn't lose all its body. And the sensitivity range is good. I think the Mini Q-tron sounds better, but its huge.

Tonefactor has a DOD 440 clone I want to try-True bypass in an MXR sized box.

James Knox
07-20-2005, 10:47 AM
A Strat into the DiscomBOBulator (with the toggle switch DOWN)into an OCD os an ADDICTING combination. With the DicsomBOBulator, I rarely even use my Teese Picture Wah anymore.

A REALLY nice pedal!

James

erksin
07-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by bluzbraker
A Strat into the DiscomBOBulator (with the toggle switch DOWN)into an OCD os an ADDICTING combination. With the DicsomBOBulator, I rarely even use my Teese Picture Wah anymore.

A REALLY nice pedal!

James

Your comment is interesting to me...

I've been using wahs more of my playing life (albeit sparingly), and have been really intrigued by the idea of using an autowah/envelope filter type box instead of a rocker pedal. I like to 'park it' sometimes, and hardly ever do the 'wacka wacka' funk stuff and that's what has kept me from making the leap.

I guess I have a couple questions - how controlable are these things? Have any of you thought they were useable and versatile enough to dump your standard wahs?

jordanL
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by erksin
Your comment is interesting to me...

I guess I have a couple questions - how controlable are these things? Have any of you thought they were useable and versatile enough to dump your standard wahs?

IMHO the two effects are very different, envelope filters sweep is triggered by your picking, while you control the sweep of a pedal wah without regard to waht you're playing. White room just wouldn't sound right with a Auto wah-IMHO.

Envelope filters can be controlled-but they are volume dependent. Jerry Garcia ran his effects loop off his guitar to get a consistent response: Hit pedals always saw a consistent volume, otherwise turning up or down can alter response.

MrSage
07-22-2005, 03:02 PM
The Jacques Trinity seems like a pretty sweet one. It does the envelope filter thing as well as auto wah and fixed wah.

He has clips on his site.

matte
07-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Ibanez AFL

adelphi710
07-23-2005, 01:37 AM
i like to use autowahs as more of a phaser effect than anything. it gives it a really deep, trippy sounding phase.

Idlewilde
07-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Tonefactor Analogue filter! :D I've been haveing a blast with mine! :dude

showman(tx)
07-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Idlewilde
Tonefactor Analogue filter! :D I've been haveing a blast with mine! :dude

+1 ! It's the best envelope filter I've tried so far ...

Denyle_Guitars
07-23-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a WR-3 and there isn't much in the way of tweaking the sound. It pretty much does one sound. If you can, swing for the flip series Guyatone, the funkybox or what ever it's called now.

adelphi710
07-23-2005, 10:45 AM
does the tone factor analog envelope filter color tone at all while its on? thanks
alex

Leonardo
07-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Line6 came up with a new filter pedal: http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM05/Content/Line_6/PR/Otto-Filter.html

esoteric pete
07-23-2005, 04:30 PM
i bought my discumBOBulator off a forumite to replace my old mutron micro IV......no dissapointments!!! this thing will make the ladies juice....the best filter ive used yet....more adjustable than the old mutron....

KRosser
07-24-2005, 12:02 AM
I dig the Ibanez AFL & Guyatone WR-3. I owned the Emma for a while, it was good but I prefered these others. Also, I really like the old Boss AW-2 (not the more recent AW-3 - even though it's got more features it doesn't sound as good to me). I also really dig the ZVex Ooh Wah, which I used to own but sold to free up some money for a guitar. I'd own another one pretty quickly.

Jon Silberman
08-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Looks like too much TGP browsing has cost me yet again. :jo

Guyatone WR-3 is on the way.

For the past almost 20 years, I've been using the same original version Boss T-Wah. You can see it there on my board to the top right. It sounds pretty good - does the Garcia thing which is all I want, really - but the sensitivity is definitely not up to modern specs.

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/682310/1133497/64986384.jpg

I already own 2 of the Guyatone Micro-series pedals, the delay and the compressor, and both excell. No, not "for the price," but period.

So thought I'd take a chance on the WR-3 now, too. P.S. No, Tomo's clips didn't disuade me, either. :D

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81165&highlight=WR3

alanfc
10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
So how do you like the WR-3 ?

And is it in your loop or up front?

I have one too, and its the last thing about to drop from my lineup in front of the amp, am trying zero FX upfront, and everything in the loop. When I originally bought it I thought it sounded bad/out of control low end when it was in the loop. But I don't think I played around with it enough.

alanfc
10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
WHAOOOO !!
so much for replying to old threads

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97403&highlight=wr3

fatback
10-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Maxon AF-9 reissue. Awsome fat quack. It has three switches and two sliders, nothing too tricky. It takes me about 30 seconds to get it tuned in to a guitar or bass depending on the quack I'm after. It is small and has true bypass. Used they go for @ $140.

erksin
10-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Jon Silberman
Looks like too much TGP browsing has cost me yet again. :jo

Guyatone WR-3 is on the way.

For the past almost 20 years, I've been using the same original version Boss T-Wah. You can see it there on my board to the top right. It sounds pretty good - does the Garcia thing which is all I want, really - but the sensitivity is definitely not up to modern specs.

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/682310/1133497/64986384.jpg

I already own 2 of the Guyatone Micro-series pedals, the delay and the compressor, and both excell. No, not "for the price," but period.

So thought I'd take a chance on the WR-3 now, too. P.S. No, Tomo's clips didn't disuade me, either. :D

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81165&highlight=WR3

Jon -

I notice you've got an Axess buffer on your board - how much does it help your uneffected sound? With all those Boss pedals, do you really need it?

Also - the Guyatone Delay - how's the slapback tones? I'm looking for a low-budget AD-9 type unit...

Moe45673
01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Hate to revive an old thread, but I'm looking for an auto-wah for bass. Something decent for about 100 bucks CAD (new/used/ebay/whatever).

Any suggestions? Is anything out there actually decent in this price range?

LouRossi
01-26-2006, 04:47 PM
I really love the Ibanez AF-9 & 10. Maybe try the Maxon...

Moe45673
01-26-2006, 07:13 PM
According to the maxon website, the AF-9 has a range from 100 Hz to 4 kHz. I use a 5 string bass and would like a lower range than that, like 50 Hz. Thanks anyhow!

Any more suggestions?

monkmiles
01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I have an EHX Mini Q-Tron and a Maxon AF9 for guitar. I really like them both, but prefer the Mini Q-Tron just a tad more.

For bass, give the EHX Bassballs a look - http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F19_Filters%2F04_Bassballs

supergenius365
01-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I was on a quest for an auto wah recently. I think the WR3 blows. Not much control, mild tone sucking. I had the Line 6 Otto Filter. It was ok. Had a very phase-y sound. I didn't think it was worth $100 from Guitar Sucker. I just got an EMMA and it has been the best so far. I got mine for $150 on ebay.

Moe45673
01-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey monkmiles,

The bassballs seems absolutely what I'm looking for. Filtery but unique. I'm really digging it.

Few questions, as I have never used EH pedals:
What type of power adaptor do they use?
How is the reliability?
Would you put the bassballs before or after a BMP type fuzz? Before or after compression?
Russian or USA?
I'm willing on spending a little more than this thing is worth. How's the Q-tron or mini Q-tron?

Thanks!

Alright, after doing a bit more research, I think I'll go with a Q-tron or Q-tron+. Apparently George Clinton and Bootsy Collins use one. Thanks again!

The lamb
01-26-2006, 10:02 PM
+1 on Analogue Filter ........... :)
http://www.mthai.com/sticker/oo/image/405219.jpg

nashvillesteve
01-27-2006, 02:10 AM
I like the EMMA DisCUMbobulator. Really fast response time, sounds great and it will wah up or down. You could probably find one used in your price range.

+1!!!

monkmiles
01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Hey monkmiles,

The bassballs seems absolutely what I'm looking for. Filtery but unique. I'm really digging it.

Few questions, as I have never used EH pedals:
What type of power adaptor do they use?
How is the reliability?
Would you put the bassballs before or after a BMP type fuzz? Before or after compression?
Russian or USA?
I'm willing on spending a little more than this thing is worth. How's the Q-tron or mini Q-tron?

Thanks!

Alright, after doing a bit more research, I think I'll go with a Q-tron or Q-tron+. Apparently George Clinton and Bootsy Collins use one. Thanks again!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, just saw your post now.
Anyhow, I think you'll be very happy with either the Basballs or any of the Q-Trons. Like I said I have a Mini Q-Tron (mainly just because its smaller, and simplier) and a bassist I play with has the Bassballs. We're both happy with them. The Q-Tron and Q-Tron+ just gives you more tweaking options but take up more space if that's an issue for you. I like EHX in general and also own their tube driven Wiggler vibrato/tremolo pedal. As for placement, I would experiement. I have mine after my overdrive, so you might want to try yours after your fuzz and experiement from there. They use 9v power, but have 1/8 inch inputs...at least thats what my Q-Tron has. I'm able to power it using a Visual Sounds OneSpot with its 1/8 inch adpater they have. Not sure on the powering of the bigger Q-Trons though. Could be different. My Wiggler has its own power supply because it needs it to power its tubes.

Report back after you get one and let me know what you think.

By the way, I take it you're a moe. fan? I have been a fan a while myself too.

drolling
01-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Gotta wade in on this old thread w/ my 2 1/2 CDN cents.. Not an effect I use everyday & easy to OD on, but that Maxon AF-9RI really is *da bomb*- compact, but w/enough sliders & switches to get a huge variety of sounds- and NO tone suck.

I don't have the latest Guyatone iteration, just the earlier WR-2 - and it's killer..extreme touch sensitivity gets you that ..Wheee-whhha-Hwhoo kinda thing just by varying your pick attack. Now, I haven't played the WR-3, but I'm not impressed w/the buffer on the WR2. Like most cheap non TB peds, it's a real tone-sucker in bypass mode- When not in use, it's in a loop or completely out of my signal chain. Great pedal, tho'. I think I paid around 50 CDN for mine..

TheGrooveking
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I have about a dozen filters and out of them I like the EMMA Discumbobulator and the Guyatone FLIP FB-X Funky Box the best, the Maxon AF-9 is good, but it doesn't do it or me, I like the Guyatone WR-3 better, I was quite surpriced by it actually. The Line 6 Otto, I wouldn't recommend to anyone, actually mine when I was filling out the warranty card the first five characters or it's S/N is AFLOP, couldn't be more appropriate.

TheGrooveking

jroot
10-09-2006, 09:36 PM
When my Q-tron gave up the ghost, I decided on the tone factor true bypass analogue filter, based on an old dod pedal I actually used to own 2 of, and threw away because I was a dumb kid and after all DOD sucks right??? Just goes to show every once in a while theres a jewel in the rough. Anyways, I think its just fantastic. Also, Voodoo Labs has a new wah/autowah that looks good. My local shop had an excellent filter made by pigtronics. I almost sold my soul for it but it was expensive and a board hog. The one redeeming value of losing my Q was the new found board space. I use it for guitar and mainly cop a twist of the Garcia sound when using it. Just kind of a solo spice once in a while, clean and dirt. If I want to sound Jimi or Funky I use the buddha wah. There are a couple of key envelope sounds for bass. The one I am guessing you want Mike Gordon cops all the damn time. Its a great jam tone. It adds a nice thickness and synth sound to the bass. If this is your mission I think you should give the pigtronics a serious look. As a fellow horseshoe throwing freak I thought I should chime in. Peace

mrp3118
10-09-2006, 11:57 PM
You could wait till the Voodoo Labs Wahzoo comes out. Looks fairly intersting.

Jon Silberman
10-10-2006, 07:15 AM
I have a Wr-3 and think its definitely a good little pedal. I really like the blend feature, your tone doesn't lose all its body. And the sensitivity range is good.
I'm very hesitant to contradict the acknowledge master of pedals, jordanL, who owns more pedals today than I've played in my entire life. :eek: ;)

However, being the auto-wah fan I am, I once bought and tried one of the little Guyatones. Despite loving auto-wahs generally and the Guyatone mini-pedal series in particular (I own two others, delay and compression, both of which I really, really dig), I thought the WR-3 sucked (crappy tone and uninspiring sensitivity range).

P.S. Based on some of the posts in this very thread, I'm now wondering whether mine could have been defective!