PDA

View Full Version : Good affordable amp for Doom Metal?

M44shnell
07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Can you recomend me good amp for doom/stoner metal that is fairly affordable, $800 MAX!

Any recomendations would be great, iv been looking for one for some time now and don't really have any shops around me that sell used older stuff. Im looking for that Sleep/ early High On Fire/ Electric Wizard type tone.

Thanks.

Ickythumper99
07-11-2011, 03:15 PM
How big of an amp are you talkin'?

analogsystem
07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
for stoner metal you basically want the loudest all-tube amp possible. You can always add fuzz or a clean boost to goose the front end. Check out:

Ampeg V-4 or V-4B
Bassman 100 (or other silverface era bassman heads)
Trayner 70s heads
Musicman HD120
Sunn 1000s, 1200s, 2000s (late 60s models)
100 watt marshall heads made before 1983 or so can be found in your range. Check out model 2203 and run into the low input for some power amp overdrive

Rock!

M44shnell
07-11-2011, 03:20 PM
i dont gig yet, i might in the future but as of now any thing over 5 watts and under 200 would be great. I was thinking about the Laney pro-tube or the orange TT (they're super cheap used).

The Jca 20 i have just dosent get that low heavy sound, even with pedals .

Occam
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Anything with a Boss FZ-2 on the second channel will sound like Electric Wizard. Amped V4's are cool but I didn't care for their tone when cranked, more of an amp for pedals. Sunn Beta Leads are cool but in the same boat except solid state. A Laney AOR was also used on some older Sleep and its basically a poor man's JCM 800.

epluribus
07-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Why do doomed people care about affordability anyway? j/c... :huh

--Mr. Relevant

somedude
07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Some people will get hung up on specific details, but truthfully... any amp that's pretty loud will do the job. Half the amps that are stoner/doom holy grails are only grail amps because they were cheap at the time that someone famous was first starting out.

My recommendation is to check out your local pawn shop or Craig's List adverts and pick any reputable amp that falls within your price range.

That said, for what you're asking you can get pretty close with a JCM800 and a Boss FZ-2.

slugbait
07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I bought a used fender champ 600 for $50 and borrowed my bro's epiphone valve jr running them in stereo 4ohm thru my mesa 4x12 cab. It gets way loud for bedroom playing I even played it in the practice space with my drummer and bass player running his mini acoustic rig thru his 2x15 cab. Makes me wonder why I haul around 200lbs worth of heads for shows.

If you want cheap and loud I picked up a sound city 120 off ebay for $700ish loudest amp I own

ungarn
07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Find a used Mesa F50 combo and a Big Muff fuzz used...probably $600 and you can cover everything from country to doom to METAL!

M44shnell
07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys, i will look into a 2203 (used), Iv been using a JCA20 with a few dirt and fuzz pedals and it gets fuzzy but doesn't have that punch that those bands have. I will check them out.

Thanks, any more recommendations of tips would be welcome.

Ugh
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
for stoner metal you basically want the loudest all-tube amp possible. You can always add fuzz or a clean boost to goose the front end. Check out:

Ampeg V-4 or V-4B
Bassman 100 (or other silverface era bassman heads)
Trayner 70s heads
Musicman HD120
Sunn 1000s, 1200s, 2000s (late 60s models)
100 watt marshall heads made before 1983 or so can be found in your range. Check out model 2203 and run into the low input for some power amp overdrive

Rock!

This stuff. Also, if you're on a budget the 70's solid state Sunn stuff (alliteration!) can be cool. Buzz from Snivlem plays a beta lead and sounds purdy gnarly.

My buddies concert lead and 212LH keeps up with my 2203 as far as volume and whomp. He got that pair for about $400...

Gorgar
07-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Definitely check out a Laney AOR if you can find one. I've got a series II PT-100 that I'd consider my doom amp if I didn't also have an Orange Thunderverb. The Laney's eq lets you bypass the master volume for bass mid and/or treble, which lets you sculpt a lot of different tones. Just for the hell of it I ran it through an SWR Big Bertha 2x15 bass cab once, and it sounded monstrous.

You could look at an Orange Dark Terror, too.

fyler
07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Peavey VTM 120

GarMan
07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Peavey VTM 120

Yep! Or an old Peavey Butcher.

LesPaulMan
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Peavey VTM 120

Yup, or a VTM 60.

theroan
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Ampegasaur
07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I play in a Doom Band using 2 Ampeg V-4 heads with 1 - 4x12 for each. They are a perfect Doom amp. I use a Landgraff Fuzz Bomb to push them. For a budget under 800.00, hard to imagine better than that. I went through a Matamp, Electric, and Sound City before settling on the V-4. For me it is not a budget amp, just fit for the detuned Doom I do. If you find one that has just been serviced, an early one with NO distortion circuit, they have a unique tone for me perfect for Doom. They are the reason I chose my screen name.

Sovtek 100
VTM120

These are good on a budget. I actually like them both better than the JCM800 for Doom. I like the JCM800 for other kinds of metal, and is a more versatile head than some of the others.

epluribus
07-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Not being a student of the genre, but having listened to it here and there, I actually tried building a doom patch or two in my various modelers to explore playing the style. (Quite fun, I might add!) Ended up discovering that some good FX into a bass-caliber amp speaks directly to the kind a wallop it takes to voice this stuff clearly in a mix while giving it the authority and presence it needs to project at anything below Saturn 5 volumes.

I used two different amps with utterly monster headroom that are totally off the radar...an old '69 Univox 1221 (2x6L6GC putting out about 60W) and a thundering Sunn Solarus that's still sitting on my workbench awaiting finishing. Anyhoo, a couple of local metal-playing buds liked the rigs and the fact that un-fashionable (aka cheap) old gear could kick like that.

But that said, do you guys feel that pedals/FX really don't do justice to the style? (Which, being a toob homebrew builder I can understand.) Like I said, I'm just a weekend warrior and something of a piker when it comes to most things metal. :beer

--Ray

PS...Hey Ampegasaur, musta just posted seconds after you did. :) Kinda what I'm thinkin' here, guess that counts as a resounding maybe eh?

strtdv
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
2nd page and no mention of a Laney AOR 100?

Disappointing..

Dubious
07-13-2011, 11:59 AM
i will second the Laney vote. I've got a non AOR Protube 50 that just BARKS.

I also run a '68 Traynor YBA1 as well. That amp I completely overhauled and is now more or less a marshall 1987 plexi bass circuit.

I tend to run either of those heads in conjunction with an AC30.

I get the lo end flatulence from the laney or the traynor (both are very unrefined "rude" amps compared to a mesa or marshall) and then i get the sizzle / slice from the AC30.

slicepaperdavid
07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
A vintage style Fuzz into a LOUD 100 Watt tube head with, at least, a 4x12 Cab.

slicepaperdavid
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
B standard and drop A tunings are a huge part of the sound

somedude
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
But that said, do you guys feel that pedals/FX really don't do justice to the style?

It depends.

It's hard to get the psychedelic effects without having a phaser/flanger/vibe/tremolo/whatever swirly box you like.

It's also hard/impossible to get some of the really raw/gritty/shitty sounding distortion textures without using dirt/fuzz boxes.

epluribus
07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Thx Somedude, that's what I was wondering. Even an over-the-top gained-out amp has trouble getting you into the turf you hear on tracks that some folks have called representative of the genre. Personally I like a Fuzz Factory as part of the equation, though I once built an SLO front end into a single-EL84 amp once, totally jumpered in, and the cross-talk made some of the most ate-up spitty/fuzz/harmonic-jumping dirt I've ever heard...so the territory doesn't belong soleley to the big builders. :) Often thought I should've patented that thing...if I could just figure out what I did again.

--Ray

somedude
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Thx Somedude, that's what I was wondering. Even an over-the-top gained-out amp has trouble getting you into the turf you hear on tracks that some folks have called representative of the genre. Personally I like a Fuzz Factory as part of the equation, though I once built an SLO front end into a single-EL84 amp once, totally jumpered in, and the cross-talk made some of the most ate-up spitty/fuzz/harmonic-jumping dirt I've ever heard...so the territory doesn't belong soleley to the big builders. :) Often thought I should've patented that thing...if I could just figure out what I did again.

--Ray

The nice thing about doom/stoner is that there aren't really any rules about how you go about doing your thing. On end of the spectrum you have dudes using overdriven 100w non-master volumes while on the other you have dudes using Dual Rectifiers and SLO-100s. Some bands are straight up rockers while others have ambient washes of trippy effects drenched in oscillating delays and feedback. It's kind of a free for all.

epluribus
07-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Cool, 'preciate the insight. I love genre's like that whether I can play 'em or not. Hm...followed the cuts on mapofmetal.com (http://mapofmetal.com/), and a few others...but...favorite cuts I should listen to?

--Ray

somedude
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Cool, 'preciate the insight. I love genre's like that whether I can play 'em or not. Hm...followed the cuts on mapofmetal.com (http://mapofmetal.com/), and a few others...but...favorite cuts I should listen to?

--Ray

Cool map. I'm more into the sludge side of things than the droney forms of doom.

Anyway, I'll post some stuff that I didn't see listed on that map.

Boris is a band that's hard to pigeon hole as they cross from doom to drone to sludge to stoner to off the charts and back... sometimes in a single album. The track below is a groovy live performance that can be easier to digest than some of the more traditional forms of doom. There's about 35 seconds of intro followed by a cut to the live performance.

0LF9WMk7OtE

And I'll follow it with High on Fire, who your map has pegged into Stoner Metal but they listed some other song;

89h-X-tZa_w

YOB;

AaSkJMH3-Pw

And now for something totally different, Atomic Bitchwax

0zOhQkaHuBk