PDA

View Full Version : 06 Epiphone G-400(SG 3pup) Custom Les Paul Wiring And Other Things

CharlyG
07-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I picked up this axe today for a couple hundred smackers w/case off cl, and I'm having trouble finding the wiring diagram. The axe was sold to me as a Korean Epi, but the s/n was EE06 so...not even close! It has some minor relicing(sanding) to make it look older but the s/n don't lie! it also plays and sounds great so I am happy! I played a new one for over an hour waiting for my Trade in paperwork when I got the Bogner so I knew what I was getting.

So anyone have the diagram?

luxxtone
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
It should be wired just like any SG or Les Paul. It has 2 volumes, 2 tones and a switch correct? If so, any Les Paul or SG diagram will be the same for this Epi. You can find them on the Duncan site.

CharlyG
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Nope, it has three vols and one tone. kinda unique.

luxxtone
07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I see, it's a 3 pickup model...sorry about that! This should be it:

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/6286/3pickups.jpg

CharlyG
07-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Thank you sir!

I updated the title as I also want to find out how many guys switched out the neck pup? I am partial to SD Jazz for the neck, but do have a 490R. The reason I bring this up, is it is VERY strong on the bottom, which can easily turn into mud, something I have never had happen with the Jazz, but then, this is my first 3 humbucker guitar. I did once put a P90 in the middle of a Dot Studio but that is a bit different setup.

CharlyG
07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Oops, forgot the edit wouldn't bump it so here's the bump.....

CharlyG
07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/SG.jpg

8mileshigh
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I fought with this guitar recently because all of the pickups sounded muddy. I totally rewired mine and now it breathes fire. Read below...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=896736&highlight=epiphone+G400+61+reissue+SG

CharlyG
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you, I'm zooming off to check it out.

CharlyG
08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
OK, checked it out, but I have a curve to throw.

Alvin Lee dropped a Strat pup between his two humbuckers on Big Red. He wired it to the output with a vol. Whatever position you are in, the middle is there and adj by vol. I took a Dot Studio, dropped a P90 in between the two buckers, used the same scheme except I drilled another hole(only two controls on the Dot Studio), and put three concentric pots in. So I had tone/vol for each pup. Now I will say, once I dial in the tone pots, you could just as well solder them as I never change em. I set up so I get pleasing tones in all 3 positions, and just switch and boost for effects. There would be no drilling as we have enough holes already. I just had an idea. I could use a/the 4th pot as a master vol!!!

Anyway, what do you guys think of this method?

CharlyG
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I just talked to the folks at Seymour Duncan. What a company! There phone system is awesome, everyone should copy it. Gets you where you're goin faster than any other I've been on. I'm speaking of the menu talker guy.....Anyways

I'm gonna be saving up for 3 SD pups for this bad boy. Ima put a PG in the bridge, a 59N in the middle, and a Jazz in the neck..

I can't wait to hear it!!!

PS - The way I've been playing this thing is with all 3 vols on max and tone midway. Otherwise it's either to bright or too dark.