PDA

View Full Version : I used to wear size 32 inseam but noticed the last couple years they are all making

Dr. Tweedbucket
08-13-2011, 06:23 PM
..... them too long :mad:

Do these new people who sew up clothes know how to measure properly anymore? :confused:

Does quality wormkanship count for ANYTHIGN ANYMORE?????/////? :mad:

Dickie Fredericks
08-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I couldnt tell you since I only wear shorts everywhere. Not kidding.

OK I lied and I have a few pair of jeans. Wranglers from WalMart. They cost less, fit well and they last forever. I'd suggest you try them.

I wear a 34 inseam. They hang right.

Gilky
08-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Could it be that you aren't quite as tall as you once were? I know manufacturers have been playing with waist size for a while now. Making sizes smaller on the tag than they actually are because people feel better wearing a size 32 waist instead of a 34, never mind that the actual size is 34, just put a 32 tag on it and it sells more because it makes you feel better. But it wouldn't make sense to make the length longer, that would make you feel shorter.

Dr. Tweedbucket
08-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I couldnt tell you since I only wear shorts everywhere. Not kidding.

OK I lied and I have a few pair of jeans. Wranglers from WalMart. They cost less, fit well and they last forever. I'd suggest you try them.

I wear a 34 inseam. They hang right.

Well, that was the hidden point .... I think I'm shrinking :cry:

donthasslethehoff
08-13-2011, 06:38 PM
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/donthasslethehoff/rolled_up_jeans_with_leather_brogues_hipster.jpg

Dickie Fredericks
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM

That would not be cool my friend. If you shrunk away then who would run kwakkleberry?

Flyin' Brian
08-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Comes a time when gravity does its nasty work, spinal discs shrink and jeans get long.

Chuck Snider
08-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Pull your pants up....
nobody wants to see your underoos.....

oldschoolguy
08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
You've got that about right. I've found that the Italian boootek fellas are the most wanting in getting the measurements right. A 34 waist might actually be 36 or something else. I think what I've found is mostly mislabeling but, man, does it happen alot. So, don't go by the stated label on that Armani pant or shirt, have it measured for ya.

ElDiabloBlanco
08-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm in the same boat. Used to be 5'8" and wore a 32 length pants. I noticed they were getting long and checked my height - down to 5"7"! That sucks - I was short to begin with!

greggorypeccary
08-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Tweed, I've noticed that two over the past year or so. Being a short guy, I'd typically wear a 29 or 30, depending on the style. Now they are all 1" - 2" too long.

Now I have to just get pants that fit and have them shortened. If I had a better paying job, or more accurately career, I'd pay for better tailored clothes, but that's not an option.

How would shrinking spinal discs change the length or your legs?

XKnight
08-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Interesting, I wear a 30" inseam and my pants are starting to look like high-waters. Maybe I'm still growing as I get closer to 50.

http://www.footjoy.com/community/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/13/0116.highwaters.jpg

shane88
08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Interesting, I wear a 30" inseam and my pants are starting to look like high-waters. Maybe I'm still growing as I get closer to 50.

http://www.footjoy.com/community/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/13/0116.highwaters.jpg
:spit:console

Polynitro
08-13-2011, 10:08 PM
How would shrinking spinal discs change the length or your legs?

It shouldnt. Old people get lengthening of the arm-trunk axis, long bones dont shrink, the spine becomes bowed (kyphosis)

Its probably vanity sizing, most companies do this. They tag the waist 1 or 2 sizes smaller than it is, and probably the length as well. so People think they are tall and skinny when they are in reality short and fat.

could also be the phenomenom of the age-waist ratio, where for every ten years past puberty the pant waist rises by 6 inches.

RockManDan
08-13-2011, 11:20 PM
yea the older you get the more you feel compelled by the universe to pull your pants up to abnormally high areas. by the time you hit 80 its literally in your armpits.

proven fact.

2leod
08-13-2011, 11:23 PM

Classic! Oxfords, Argyles and jeans - the trifecta!

Polynitro
08-13-2011, 11:26 PM
where to cop? these are badass! Nice selvedge

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i480/donthasslethehoff/rolled_up_jeans_with_leather_brogues_hipster.jpg

Dr. Tweedbucket
08-14-2011, 04:58 AM
yea the older you get the more you feel compelled by the universe to pull your pants up to abnormally high areas. by the time you hit 80 its literally in your armpits.

proven fact.

Well, maybe it's just that people know what length they used to wear and keep on buying the same length after they start shrinking, and because they are too long they pull them up so they don't drag :idea

Dr. Tweedbucket
08-14-2011, 05:03 AM

proven fact.

Well, maybe it's just that people know what length they used to wear and keep on buying the same length after they start shrinking, and because they are too long they pull them up so they don't drag :idea

Carltone
08-14-2011, 06:55 AM
your butt is actually growing bigger... that is what makes your inseam not fit.

Sorry Dr. Tweedbucket, but you can only blame science and the Mt. Quackleberry Wafflehouse Triplestack Pancake breakfast for your troubles...

DavidG
08-14-2011, 07:09 AM
A friend of mine gave me his inversion flex system. I went from 5,9" to 6,4" in a matter of weeks... Gotta go, the Celtics Are calling"@@@

BluesForDan
08-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I've noticed the same thing. In my case, I've maintained my weight very well. Whenever anybody puts a tape around my waist (it's been a while, I think it is actually smaller now), it has always come up 36. I buy 36 waist, 30 inseam. My pants practically fall down now, I really have to wear a belt. I know that the sizes are all over the map. When the fabric is cut, the material is stacked, ever higher to get more cuts per pass to save money. As the die blade cuts through the stack, the fabric is distorted, resulting in a variance between top and bottom. This is why you really need to try stuff on before you buy and take them home. But how many stores still have changing rooms anymore? Especially stores that carry jeans?

It is getting to the point where I wish I could find a size 35 waist 29 inseam. At one time, I've actually seen these sizes, I know they existed but not every retailer had the space to carry that much inventory. Now I don't think the precision in manufacturing is good enough to warrant a mere one inch gradation in size, due to the aft-mentioned variance of cutting. If they cut a single layer or fewer layers at at time, they could guarantee exact fit, but at a higher cost that consumers would be willing to pay. Or able to pay, as in my case.

I'm still buying Levis 505 red tag W 36 S 30. Back in the '70s, they used to be simply red tag 501 with zippers. Then some rocket scientists figured to bring back the button fly (Why?). And with the fattening of the population, it is getting increasingly hard to find plain old regular cut 505s even. Everything is relaxed fit, comfort fit that. It almost doesn't pay to keep yourself in shape.

MuseCafeChris
08-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I know that the sizes are all over the map..

This. The older you get, the more you have to try stuff on before you buy it.

MrTAteMyBalls
08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
my waist size can vary 4 sizes depending on which brand of jeans i'm getting. It's nuts!

Also, just for an FYI old navy jeans. Always find what fits in the store, and buy 1 size SMALLER. their jeans stretch out a whole size after the first washing. I've wasted(waisted?) 30 bucks on their jeans a couple of times before figuring this out.

snarkle
08-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I know manufacturers have been playing with waist size for a while now. Making sizes smaller on the tag than they actually are because people feel better wearing a size 32 waist instead of a 34, never mind that the actual size is 34, just put a 32 tag on it and it sells more because it makes you feel better.

Crap. And I was so proud of getting down to the same size I was I was 30. (Which was quite a while ago...)

Sleepyhouse1422
08-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I tried on 17 pairs or jeans yesterday trying to find a pair and finally gave up. 2 pair from the same brand the exact same size fit completely different. Aparently there is no quality control on jeans...

Peeb
08-14-2011, 12:57 PM
:beerDr. TweedB-

where would TGP be without you, bro??

Classic thread.

antojado
08-14-2011, 01:26 PM
It may also be that some manufacturers compensate for shrinkage of the fabric. Pants can shrink as much as a size in length when washed. I always wash mine in cold to prevent this, but you might try washing them in warm water to see if they shrink up a little. If you really want them the right size, wash them several times then hem them up to the correct length. Or take them to a person who does that sort of thing (yes, they still exist).

whomad1215
08-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Sizes/sizing/fit are ALL drastically different from every store.

donthasslethehoff
08-14-2011, 08:00 PM
if they aint HUSKIES, they aint for me

hangten
08-14-2011, 08:02 PM
..... them too long :mad:

Do these new people who sew up clothes know how to measure properly anymore? :confused:

Does quality wormkanship count for ANYTHIGN ANYMORE?????/////? :mad:

way to complain about EVERYTHING!

does spelling count for anything anymore?

The Golden Boy
08-14-2011, 08:44 PM
way to complain about EVERYTHING!

does spelling count for anything anymore?

No. Capitalization does though.

sodapopinski
08-14-2011, 09:17 PM
just take them to a tailor. Problem solved.

jumpnblues
08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah, the last pairs of 32 length Wranglers I bought were definitely not 32s. Much more like 34s.

Tom