PDA

View Full Version : Puppy getting neutered Friday. Any tips for dealing with THE CONE?

DWB1960
08-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Mojo, who turns five months tomorrow is getting neutered on Friday. He'll have round the clock care for at least the first 5 days after coming home and then won't be left alone for longer than 2-2.5 hours stretches after that. Doc says he'll need to wear the cone around his neck for 10-14 days.

Any tricks, tips, suggestions, warnings, etc. about this part of the process?

Thanks in advance.

mge80
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
My $.02....

If he is going to be monitored around the clock for the first 5 days, then I don't see a reason for the cone at all. He can easily be re-directed away from the wound site initially, and if you do so consistently and reward him for 'leaving it", he'll likely leave it alone on his own after a short while. Have you taught him "leave it" (or an equivalent)? If not, give me a shout and I'll set you up with a quick and easy protocol that he'll pick up in very short order.

Neither of my dogs has ever worn a cone for any reason at all. Atka was neutered 3 days prior to 12 weeks, and Eve was spayed at ~ 6 months. Neither of them paid any attention at all to their wound sites and really didn't need any distracting or re-directing. They just weren't interested.

Atka also never messed with his current surgical site or the area where his IV was. I'd give him a chance to "prove" he actually NEEDS the cone before subjecting him to it for 10-14 days.

If he does need it, just keep him "busy" and he won't be bothered by it as much and it will eventually just become part of his environment.

blues junkie
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
I would assume since he's only 5 months old you have a crate or a designated area for him, when he is not under supervision.I would definately keep him inclosed somewhere while your not home,That way he won't get his cone stuck on something or fall down stairs etc etc.

Other then that I would say good luck. When they have surgery and the cone on it seems like a life time before they get it off. My dog has never met a cone she could'nt get off. She takes her head and points it straight down to the ground then she pushes down untill the cone curls under then she grabs it with her teeth and the rest is history.

Just keep him in a small area and keep him comfortable.

Good Luck.

Dave2512
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
There are better options out there than the plastic cone shaped e-collar. The inflatable e-collars are great.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/Mw97GTVnGxFlm59ae0clSCNMWY5KilyK-vIMO7TB0kaYmtq3-2q3JeKlUdI04xeL-6IUm4VulCyDxkIKQRSeRFNmTE6ty2wW0baOEq103Gw9hvmgYoB Nfcl3_CU79RHdAE4uiOFXpXNIGmGN8agCBtOw9-RPDOZkd3Y

rickc007
08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
10-14 days sounds like a long time

I don't remember leaving the cone on mine.
I hung out with her though most of the time.
Only the first day or two if she tried to jump up, she looked
a little pained
But that was it

If you're home, you can leave the cone off

JRDill
08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Wilco didn't get a cone and he was fine. He did stare at a wall for about 15 minutes afterward though.

NewarkWilder
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Maybe the best $20 I ever spent for my dog-- she doesn't even really seem to mind it much at all the last couple times it was needed. She's a really zen dog though. Still:

http://www.petsquared.com/images/dogs/afp_comfy_cone_tan_lg.jpg

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/ComfyConeDogElizabethanCollarSmallImage.jpg

cmatthes
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Neither of our Goldens (one male, one female) wore the cone of shame, and neither one messed with the surgery site. They were back to normal in a couple days.

What the hell kind of dog (or surgery) requires that kind of delicate attention for a simple, everyday procedure? Your doc sounds like a worry-wart - that's WAY excessive.

Jove
08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Maybe the best $20 I ever spent for my dog-- she doesn't even really seem to mind it much at all the last couple times it was needed. She's a really zen dig though. Still:

My dog Banjo is wearing one of these right now. He's on day 13 of 14 after being neutered and I've basically just been putting the cone on him at night and whenever else I can't see him. He doesn't mind this cone at all though. It's pretty handy to have for discouraging lots of habits like scratching his eyes etc. Definitely better than the one they'll give you after the surgery.

J

Glenn D.
08-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Neither of our Goldens (one male, one female) wore the cone of shame, and neither one messed with the surgery site. They were back to normal in a couple days.

Same for our Rottie pup. No problems at all.

What the hell kind of dog (or surgery) requires that kind of delicate attention for a simple, everyday procedure? Your dog sounds like a worry-wart - that's WAY excessive.

Must be a poodle ;)

mtndog
08-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Maybe the best $20 I ever spent for my dog-- she doesn't even really seem to mind it much at all the last couple times it was needed. She's a really zen dog though. Still:

It may be that you will not need one, but if you do, this style was best for us. It is really a bummer if they do decide to chew on their stitches. As another person said, you may only need it at night or other unsupervised times.

moosewayne
08-23-2011, 05:20 AM
There are better options out there than the plastic cone shaped e-collar. The inflatable e-collars are great.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/Mw97GTVnGxFlm59ae0clSCNMWY5KilyK-vIMO7TB0kaYmtq3-2q3JeKlUdI04xeL-6IUm4VulCyDxkIKQRSeRFNmTE6ty2wW0baOEq103Gw9hvmgYoB Nfcl3_CU79RHdAE4uiOFXpXNIGmGN8agCBtOw9-RPDOZkd3Y

this

rmconner80
08-23-2011, 05:25 AM
I had to have the cone on all 14 days. If I took it off he was on the stitches in like 5 seconds. The cone sucks, but what would suck worse is having to get more stitches or an infection ($$$) plus adding another 14 days of additional cone-age. It only takes 45 seconds of forgetting to watch your dog constantly to set you back to day 1 again. So you just gotta deal with the cone.

My dog was about a year though (rescue) when he was neutralized; maybe it's different with younger dogs.

plexistack
08-23-2011, 07:28 AM

My dogs got right past that hilarious device. It did nothing. What a joke.
It may work on some dogs, but not any of mine.

I keep a lampshade cone around for when my dogs obsess on a spot. They get a hotspot, or an insect bite or a cut or something and they like to go hide from everyone & chew it. I can't be around 24/7 to train them not to chew a spot, so for me the cone is a must have. The dogs don't really mind it. One of them likes it because he can use like football pads & ram you.

I'd go ahead & use the cone to be safe, all it takes is 30 seconds to rip out the stitches - and a trip back to the vet.

BedroomRockStar01
08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
When Fritz (my boy) was neutered, he didn't bother his stitches. In fact, they didn't even seem to hurt him. The only trouble was trying to keep him from running and jumping too much when he got home. His stitches were dissolving, and he never wore the cone of shame.

Maybe I just got lucky. Then again, he is an awesome dog.

DWB1960
08-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Mojo really digs roaming around his own private parts so I'm 100% certain he'd be right at the stitches. I like that soft cone. Thanks for the tip.

coldfingaz
08-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Have you considered kicking him repetitively if he goes towards the stitches? :hide

In all seriousness, either of those 2 gadgets is a much better solution than the cone he'll come away from the vet with.

DWB1960
08-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Have you considered kicking him repetitively if he goes towards the stitches?

No. I've considered kicking you though. :p

coldfingaz
08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
No. I've considered kicking you though. :p

I don't blame you. Get in line! ;)

teleharmonium
08-23-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't have dogs, but we have a cat going through medical issues and she was in a soft inflatable collar like the one on the first page for about a month.

They don't stay on well by themselves, but the one we have has loops on the inside to attach to a collar. You could maybe make it a collar + harness for a strong or Houdini - like pooch.

Structo
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Our last dog got fixed a few months ago.
No cone.

They use super glue now to close the incision.

neastguy
08-23-2011, 10:01 AM
no cones on any of our dogs for that procedure.... but we spank our dogs and don't take them out to dinner :)

DWB1960
08-23-2011, 10:03 AM
but we spank our dogs and don't take them out to dinner :)

You bastid!

pickaguitar
08-23-2011, 10:04 AM
My puppy handled the cone well...we used it for 13 days lol (I left it on because I didn't want to chance having to go back for any more surgery)

No tips really...just let the time pass.

Tonekat
08-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I had a dog who would go in the back yard in winter with a cone and use it to fling snow up in the air.

Inside, she'd get stuck going her usual route under the dining table when the chairs were all pushed in.

I put loops around her collar to keep it in place. Have you seen the car commercial where the guy flips the cone upside down so the dog can catch the air out the window?

abergdahl
08-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Hmm I find it so strange that dogs in the US gets neutered or spayed. In Sweden almost no dogs get neutered and bitches get spayed only if there is a very strong medical reason...
So why do you do this?? (ok i had a dog and a bitch and twice a year it was sort of "interesting"... but it was no big deal, just keep them separated.. actually i didn't even need that since he was to old to really understand how to... and she wouldn't let hem either.. ).

pickaguitar
08-23-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/why_spay_neuter.html ^

abergdahl
08-23-2011, 11:59 AM
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/why_spay_neuter.html ^

OK I understand.. BUT i would never leave my two bitches unsupervised when the are susceptible for males.... It's quite easy leash when out and always under supervision locked doors when in.. and IF a unfortunate accident occurs it's quite easy to perform a medical abortion..
If a male dog runs away I would have to be the owner of the female any expenses... problem solved :beer

I just notice that there is a cultural difference that I don't quite understand..

Ok - back to topic .. sorry

neastguy
08-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Hmm I find it so strange that dogs in the US gets neutered or spayed. In Sweden almost no dogs get neutered and bitches get spayed only if there is a very strong medical reason...
So why do you do this?? (ok i had a dog and a bitch and twice a year it was sort of "interesting"... but it was no big deal, just keep them separated.. actually i didn't even need that since he was to old to really understand how to... and she wouldn't let hem either.. ).

dogs in America that are in heat are naturally attracted to bluze players wearing Tan Pants... so in order to not ruin our Tan Pants (Humping Leg Syndrome.... HLS).... this procedure is necessary...

DWB1960
09-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Here's the cone after 7 days on a 50 pound puppy. He acclimated to it just fine. Even had some fun with it - as you can see.

http://donniebs.ipower.com/pics/cone.JPG

nitehawk55
09-04-2011, 10:07 AM

What the hell kind of dog (or surgery) requires that kind of delicate attention for a simple, everyday procedure? Your doc sounds like a worry-wart - that's WAY excessive.

Same with ours and I agree 100%

JamesT
09-04-2011, 10:19 AM
poor dog... ;)