PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Tele?

stetyrrell
08-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I bought a used mex tele a couple of days ago, and it was buzzing like a bee. So I had a guy take a look at it and he sorted it with a new jack and grounding etc.

However, it's still humming a lot. If I turn the tone knob up more than say 6 or 7 the hum just gets worse. It's not as noticeable on the neck pickup, but still noisy.

I'll be honest, I haven't had a strat in a while without noiseless pickups and this is my first tele, so am I just not used to single coil noise?

levelfrets
08-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Most MIM Fenders use metal slugs instead of alnico magnet rods for the poles. These metal slugs are magnetized using 2 ceramic bar magnets on either side of the slugs on the bottom of the bobbin. I have noticed this single coil design to be noisier than the alnico magnet rods. You can swap the slugs out for magnets or just change the pickups. I did this video a while back showing how to swap out the slugs for magnets in MIM Fenders.
http://www.mojotone.com/knowledge-base/video-tutorials/Upgrading-Your-Pickups-Video-Tutorial
Shielding helps too but can knock some highs off. I hope this helps.

brianr0131
08-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Probably 60 cycle hum. Drives me up the wall.

chervokas
08-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Does the hum change as you move the guitar around? If so it's likely from environmental radiation being picked up by the coils -- look for sources of environmental hum (dimmers, flourescent lights, computers, etc) and turn them off; also, of course you can shield the pickup cavities, that will help some.

If the hum doesn't change it's probably a ground problem with the wiring. Check the ground connections.

stetyrrell
08-27-2011, 01:33 PM
At the moment I'm only able to run it through Pod Farm until Monday so I have a feeling the computer has something to do with it for now.

The hum doesn't seem to change when I move around for now, I've only been using it in my bedroom so it's definitely nothing to do with flourescent lights.

I'm definitely thinking about changing out the pickups, I'll probably change the bridge out first. The neck isn't too bad.

I think I've pretty bad hum with my amps anyways at home.

I guess I'll have to buy a noise gate too :banana

stetyrrell
09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Right so I figured I'd update this with my latest findings.

It seems that any time I touch either A) a part on the control plate B) the neck pickup cover or C) the input jack, that the hum stops completely.

However, when I do touch any of the parts the tone changes drastically, as if somebody turned the tone pot almost completely off.

I had a guy who's a supposed repair guru have a look and he attached a ground wire, but to no avail. In all fairness though, it was free and he has a terrible reputation.

Would soldering a ground wire from the bridge to the control panel solve this? There's little noise once I seem to ground it with my body.

fumbler
09-12-2011, 06:56 PM
This is a little backwards. Your body is actually a big antenna for radio frequency noise. When you touch your guitar and the noise goes away it's because the guitar/cord/amp is grounding YOU!

If this happens when you touch the control plate but NOT when you touch the strings then you don't have the bridge properly connected to ground. You need that wire connected properly.

Changing pickups may help but I suggest you first try shielding the control cavity. Lots of info about that topic here and also try www.guitarnuts.com

Good luck!