PDA

View Full Version : Dude! Have you tried an Alnico 8?

Vinni Smith
08-26-2011, 08:59 PM
I have a Fernandez Monterey Elite that I love but the treble pickup is just too bright for me. They originally put a SD JB in it and I swapped it out for a SD Custom Custom. Helped a bit but not much. I have been doing a bit of reading lately and found out about the Alnico 8 magnet. So, I got on Ebay this week and ordered one. $6.50 including S/H charge. I swapped the magnets today and WOW! Just as I read. Creamy high end, not brittle, more mids, and a tighter bottom end. The bottom end is not just tighter, it is clearer too. What a huge improvement! It is a very musical sounding treble position now. Much more to my liking.

Have you guys tried these yet? Please forgive me if this has been discussed to death already.

Vinni

JeffOlson
08-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I've never heard of it, but I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position of my Brian Moore M/C1. I like it only with distortion (and then I REALLY like it!).

As to your new pickup, if it sells for $6.50 including shipping and handling, it is doubtful many of us TGPers have heard of it or would even be interested. (You know the old adage: "The more expensive the gear is, the better it must be.") ;)

CrackTheSkye
08-26-2011, 11:47 PM
I've never heard of it, but I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position of my Brian Moore M/C1. I like it only with distortion (and then I REALLY like it!).

As to your new pickup, if it sells for $6.50 including shipping and handling, it is doubtful many of us TGPers have heard of it or would even be interested. (You know the old adage: "The more expensive the gear is, the better it must be.") ;)

An alnico 8 is a type of magnet. He paid $6.50 for the magnet and swapped the magnet in his pickup with the alnico 8 magnet.

Or atleast I think that's what he means :dunno

JeffOlson
08-26-2011, 11:51 PM
^ Ah! That makes more sense!

cheameup
08-27-2011, 01:52 AM
You've obviously been lurking at the Duncan forums. Mag swap central

yeah I've messed with the a8 into a custom to make the Duncan forum favorite custom 8 . I liked it but I ended up liking the actual Seymour designed alt 8 more.

The custom 8 to me had this cocked wah mid thing I didn't love all the time.

I also swapped a roughcast unorinated a5 into the custom and liked that allot more than the c8. But that guitar now has some bkp's in it

Vinni Smith
08-27-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I swapped out the magnet, not the whole pickup. I just edited my original post to make it more clear.

cheameup, maybe the cocked wah mid thing was what I am referring to as just more mids? I tend to like that sound, but then again, I think Brian May's tone rules!

I was not aware that SD made a A8 pickup. May just have to try that out as well.

cheameup
08-27-2011, 03:20 AM
I like beefy mids too.i just found the eq of the mids of the custom 8 not for me. I didnt like the balance of the high and low mids which gave it the cocked wah sound. The alt8 doesn't have that eq going on. Just really full mids

The alternative 8 isn't a popular Duncan but I really like it. Really beefy and bright at the same time . It's pretty much just a very hot ,passive high gain pick up though. Great for what it's good at but not super versatile

V-Picks
08-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I just ordered 2 more from the same guy on ebay. I'm gonna put one in the neck position of my PRS Custom 24. I hate that guitar for neck sounds. I am hoping that will change with this update.

cvansickle
08-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I was not knocked out by the Custom wind with the A8 magnet, but the JB with an A8 was THE JB sound for me. Highs, mids and tight bottom, without the ice pick.

V-Picks
08-29-2011, 11:10 PM
I was not knocked out by the Custom wind with the A8 magnet, but the JB with an A8 was THE JB sound for me. Highs, mids and tight bottom, without the ice pick.

You are the one that gave me this idea! Thanks Bro. Wait till you hear it in the red guitar!