PDA

View Full Version : Question on Humbucker pickup wiring

spyeman
08-27-2011, 08:45 AM
This involves a bit of heresy, so I apologize in advance. I don't know how to solder, but I would like to change some Humbucker pickups. Can I cut the wiring attached to the old pickups, and just connect the new pickup wiring to the cut wires in the guitar (twist together and cover with electrical tape)? Is there a problem or issue if the new pickups have a 4 wire setup, and the connecting wire is a single wire? I've done this alot with single coils with no issue, but not sure about the 4 versus one connection. I do this because when I get new pickups, I have no patience to wait two weeks for a tech to put em in! thanks in advance

Distorque
08-27-2011, 09:04 AM
If you do this often, learn to solder. Putting wires together is easy and you could learn how to do a decent job of it in 10 minutes. Electrical tape is not a permanent solution.

With humbuckers you can do that, just remember to put together the wires for the coil ends. Then, connect one of the other wires and the shield to ground, and the other unused wire to hot. This is what I mean:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.humbucker_ wiring_color_codes/

spyeman
08-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks, that is very useful, it looks like in general you connect one pair of wires between the north and south (probably used for coil splitting if not connected?) and then one to the "hot" and the last to ground. Hmmm, maybe better to have it done right by a tech. Thanks though for the info and help