PDA

View Full Version : Does the RC-2 loop go into the fx loop?

Ides of March
08-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I put together my fx loop finally... And was curious if the loop station goes into the fx loop or the regular chain..Also the wah pedal too...

stinkfoot
08-28-2011, 04:21 AM
The amp's effects loop is an opportunity to insert effects after the preamp stage. This is quite useful if you use the distortion channel, but not so much if you run the amp clean (with pedals for distortion).

Now, the RC-2 should go after anything you want to be able to record, and before stuff you want to pay the recorded material through. If you want to be able to record a clean part and then play a distorted part on top, it needs to sit after distortion. And if you use the distortion channel, that means in the fx loop. If not, it can go in front of the amp.

The wah is normally placed in front of the amp, before distortion. Some prefer it after distortion, but it might not work well in the fx loop, due to the higher signal level there.

sksmith66
08-28-2011, 05:47 AM
IMO it is always the last pedal in the signal chain. if there is any effects after it all of the recorded parts will have that effect and I would never want that. so if you just want a little chorus or delay or tremolo or whatever on one part you can't do that if the looper is before that pedal in the chain.

Ides of March
08-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys but I mean does the loop station go into the fx loop or the regular dirt chain.. In my fx loop I put my chorus, phaser, delay, tremelo, eq
in the regular signal chain, I have my wah, tuner, hoof fuzz, ocd, dirty bomb.
Two seperate lines for both due to the f/x loop in the back of the amp. I was curious if the loop station goes with the regular dirt line or the other line with the chorus.

Zero G
08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Experiment and see where you like it best. Simple.

Ides of March
08-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Experiment and see where you like it best. Simple.

Right I was just wondering if it made a difference where it went. I am assuming since it is just a looper it would go at the end of the dirt chain and not in the chorus loop with the others.

stinkfoot
08-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys but I mean does the loop station go into the fx loop or the regular dirt chain.. In my fx loop I put my chorus, phaser, delay, tremelo, eq
in the regular signal chain, I have my wah, tuner, hoof fuzz, ocd, dirty bomb.
Two seperate lines for both due to the f/x loop in the back of the amp. I was curious if the loop station goes with the regular dirt line or the other line with the chorus.It isn't really two separate signal chains - the pedals in the effects loop are simply positioned at a later point in the overall signal chain (they sit after the amp's preamp section, while the dirt pedals sit before it). If you're not using the amp's distortion channel, there's not much advantage (if any) to using the loop.

But either way, you need to stick the RC-2 in at the point where you want to record. If you want to record parts with chorus or phaser (so you can then turn those off and play on top of the loop, without those effects), it needs to go after the chorus or phaser. If you want to record parts with delay (so you can set a different delay time for the other parts), stick it after the delay. On the other hand, if you want to record dry parts and add the same phaser and delay etc on all the parts (be they played live or playback from the RC-2), it can go after the drive pedals.

Ides of March
08-28-2011, 12:02 PM
It isn't really two separate signal chains - the pedals in the effects loop are simply positioned at a later point in the overall signal chain (they sit after the amp's preamp section, while the dirt pedals sit before it). If you're not using the amp's distortion channel, there's not much advantage (if any) to using the loop.

But either way, you need to stick the RC-2 in at the point where you want to record. If you want to record parts with chorus or phaser (so you can then turn those off and play on top of the loop, without those effects), it needs to go after the chorus or phaser. If you want to record parts with delay (so you can set a different delay time for the other parts), stick it after the delay. On the other hand, if you want to record dry parts and add the same phaser and delay etc on all the parts (be they played live or playback from the RC-2), it can go after the drive pedals.

Ok that's what I figured, at the end of the dirt chain. I am primarily using it to practice some solo's with my bands original music or little accentuation parts with it. Mostly to record a rhythm part and work on stuff like scales and the like.

mainly
10-06-2011, 05:47 AM
anyone else have this issue...

when i record a phrase with the boss loop station, it sounds fine, except when i try to play it back and then play over top of it... it gets drowned out by what im playing on top. when i stop, i can hear the phrase again, but when i start playing over it, the recorded phrase just gets lost again...

???

Flight1311
10-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I found that it work best last in the chain in front of the amp. Not in the effects loop. Here's what happened to me...

I have an RC-3 (that I love) and when I ran it in the effects loop, it didn't work the way I wanted it to. I run my chorus, delay and reverb in my effects loop and I wanted to record a nice clean loop with those effects. So I put the looper last in the chain in the effects loop. I recorded my part and then I wanted to solo over it. When I played back the loop, it sounded great but when I changed the chanel on my amp to get a nice lead gain sound - it distored the clean loop I recorded. SO...I took the pedal out of the effects loop and put it dead last in the chain in front of my amp. Repeated the process above and it worked perfectly. I record really cool clean parts and then solo over them. I have even started to add drums and the result has been fantastic. It's exactly what I bought the pedal for - I couldn't be happier.

jszair
07-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Sorry for bumping an 2 year old thread...

When I did the loop pedal in/out fx loop research, all I can get from various message boards is that it's best in the fx loop, and sucks in front of a dirty amp because the recorded stuff will get distorted. My amp doesn't have fx loop and this almost prevented me from buying a loop pedal. I still bought a loop pedal anyway...I though just using it to practice clean stuff is better than nothing...

Then I thought of the volume knob on the guitar...
1. set the amp to desired gain for the lead stuff
2. roll back the volume to record clean rhythm part
3. roll up the volume and practice lead and the rhythm part still sounds clean
5. profit.

Everyone knows this trick, but I've never seen it brought it up in the loop pedal discussion...Just want to throw it out there since this thread is on the top of google search.