PDA

View Full Version : Distortion for Blues Junior

Trojan
09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Need your expert opinions

Looking for a new distortion pedal to pair up with my Fender Humboldt Blues Jr

What do you guys recommend?

I've got a tubescreamer. Looking for something a bit more gainy to add to the pedal chain

cheers

lbj273
09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
the best I ever heard an OCD was through a Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
The Blues Jr takes dirt really well, but I find that dirt pedals sound dirtier on the Jr. than on my Bassman. I had to pretty much double where the dirt knob was (ie, 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock). So medium gains might sound crunchier. I really like the Timmy, the Alpha worked really nicely after I took out the tone pot resistor and they stacked really well. TS stacks well with the Timmy. The Morning Glory was awesome too, but is really low gain (consequently, I got almost no distortion out of it on my Bassman). I didn't use any higher gain pedals with it, but I guess my point is that a medium gain might sound like a high gain if you want it to. Oh yea, the Lunar rocked too.

Windup 43
09-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Love Rats into Blues Jr.'s

Windup 43
09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
the best I ever heard an OCD was through a Blues JrI liked that combo too w/ my Les Paul.

Bluedano1
09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I really like a stock Blues Driver (at low Gain) for a clean boost/ very natural mild breakup with my Blues Jr (owned both for over 10 years and I just leave the pedal ON as it is dynamic and works well with guitar volume knob...). For a stronger overdrive w/o getting into pure distortion, I have had very good luck with a GC/ MXR Classic Overdrive which has a good "Tube Screamer grind", or a Barber Direct Drive for smoother OD. I run the Blues Jr. very clean with an efficient 120 watt Emi spkr and just leave the amp alone, prefer to adjust volume and dirt all from the pedals...

tonegangster
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Tim pedal to bring out the subtleties and Zendrive for solos!!

Trojan
09-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Cheers guys for the replies

Will check out your recommendations

The OCD and Blues Driver sounds interesting

Would like to hear more suggestions

lbj273
09-07-2011, 11:37 AM
The Blues Jr takes dirt really well, but I find that dirt pedals sound dirtier on the Jr. than on my Bassman. I had to pretty much double where the dirt knob was (ie, 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock). So medium gains might sound crunchier. I really like the Timmy, the Alpha worked really nicely after I took out the tone pot resistor and they stacked really well. TS stacks well with the Timmy. The Morning Glory was awesome too, but is really low gain (consequently, I got almost no distortion out of it on my Bassman). I didn't use any higher gain pedals with it, but I guess my point is that a medium gain might sound like a high gain if you want it to. Oh yea, the Lunar rocked too.
thats because the Alpha without the resistor on the tone pot is essentially an OCD ;)

Heady Jam Fan
09-07-2011, 11:40 AM
thats because the Alpha without the resistor on the tone pot is essentially an OCD ;)

Lol, not quite. I was never a fan of the OCD, but I heard a forumite playing at a bar using a Gibson Thinline and a Maz 18 and it sounded great - sounded like an Alpha!

lbj273
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Lol, not quite. I was never a fan of the OCD, but I heard a forumite playing at a bar using a Gibson Thinline and a Maz 18 and it sounded great - sounded like an Alpha!
the Joyo Ultimate OD is an OCD...

Heady Jam Fan
09-07-2011, 11:50 AM
the Joyo Ultimate OD is an OCD...

Yep and I thought the joyo clips sounded worse than the OCD (obviously just clips). I dont know enough about electronics, but looking at the schematics, there are a number of other changes between Joyo UD / OCD and the Alpha aside from the tone pot resistor.

diagrammatiks
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Yep and I thought the joyo clips sounded worse than the OCD (obviously just clips). I dont know enough about electronics, but looking at the schematics, there are a number of other changes between Joyo UD / OCD and the Alpha aside from the tone pot resistor.

you missed the party huh

Heady Jam Fan
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
you missed the party huh

Nope I was there. Funny thing is Ken asked me a favor right before it came out, and I was on a waiting list with one of his dealers/retailers. When (bout 2 weeks after) it came out, he dealer/retailer asked me to summarize everything when I asked for a refund and to be taken off the waiting list. He hadn't heard and was blown away, refunded me immediately and canceled his checks to Ken.

I got one second hand because I still think it sounds great, but did not want to send my money directly to Ken (at least until his formal apology, which never seems to have happened?). I was thinking about selling it for a Wampler Ecstasy until I took out the tone pot resistor, which was apparently originally Analogman's advice. It sounds great now, still debating about if I need it or not, but its a keeper for the time being.

mbargav
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
FDII sounds great with a Blues Jr.

jlagrassa
09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Here is what I currently use with my Blues Junior III

Amptweaker Tight Drive (http://home.comcast.net/~jlagrassa/amptweaker%20tight%20drive.mp3)

Trojan
09-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your imputs gents

Bluedano1
09-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Here is what I currently use with my Blues Junior III

Amptweaker Tight Drive (http://home.comcast.net/~jlagrassa/amptweaker%20tight%20drive.mp3)

Also the Barber B-Custom Super Sport worked very nicely with the amp!
3lKHH6YYIwQ

Nice! I should be getting a used Barber Direct Drive tomorrow, and I'm getting psyched to pair it up with my BJ or my old Deluxe Reverb- Great OD! I owned one before but sold it as I needed the $$- not gonna let that happen again- I Hope! ;)

lbj273
09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
thats because its a mashup of the OCD versions similar to how the Dano Drive was, not a straight clone of any particular version

back on topic, I also really like the Vox Satchurator into the BJ for a smooth lead tone, the problem is it sucks for rhythm. Another one to look into is the Marshall Guv'nor, the original one or a clone of the original not the crappy sounding one thats out there right now.

iurod
09-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a fender blues junior texas red special and the best overdrives I've paired with it have been:

BJFE Dyna Red
BJFE Honey Bee
Timmy (although some don't like the timmy-fender combo, I think it sounds great!)
Basic Tube Screamer

The Bjfe's are expensive and have long waiting list, I would try out the more economically Bear Foot ones for experimentation.

whiteop
09-07-2011, 11:24 PM
FD2, Plimsoul, or a regular TS808 reissue sound pretty good into any Fender amps I've played. There are others of course but pretty much TS9 or 808 variants with options.

Magicpad
09-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I love my blues jr and have tried several overdrives with it.... I also agree with the consensus that the OCD sounds best.... actually an OCD through a blues jr is my main gigging rig!

But I've also gotten good results with:
-Crunchbox (higher gain, adds more bass)
-Timmy (reacts really well with the el84s, especially when the amp is cranked)
-MXR classic overdrive (very John Mayer-ish)

Bad results with:
-Fulltone gt-500 (just sounded sorta fake)
-MT-2 (duh!)

SurfGreenTele
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I've been enjoying a Hotcake with mine, but I'm interested in trying an OCD as well.

musica23
09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Just about every dirt pedal I put in front of my stock Blues Jr. sounds good. I'm not big on Tube Screamers, but they sound good, too.

Some of my faves are CMATMODS Brownie (medium/high gain), any RAT, any Barber pedal (including the fuzz Trifecta), almost any fuzz (if you're into that), EQD stuff, Blackout Effectors Mantra, Carl Martin Plexitone, and so on.