PDA

View Full Version : would an alder body/maple neck humbucker guitar be too bright?

weshunter
09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
i've only played alder/maple strats and teles and mahogany humbucker guitars. i'd want to go with a vintage PAF style humbucker. I'd be going for a classic rock/blues sound and would never want to do high gain/shredder stuff

EDIT: what if this was a neck-through guitar like a carvin SC90?

gillman royce
09-08-2011, 05:38 PM
There are all sorts of ways to tweek it - strength of the alnico magnets, etc. but the rule of thumb is that it's always easier to ' tame ' the brightness than it is to lose the darkness.

frankie5fingers
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
First impression, it wouldn't be my top choice for the use you describe. But....as gillman says, there are tweaks that could make for an interesting and fatter tone. You mention you want a PAF style HB, are you thinking A2 or A5 magnets?

thedroid
09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I have an ash body guitar with a maple strat style neck and humbuckers. It's brighter than an LP or 335.

Mike9
09-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Ask Gibson - they made plenty of alder bodied, maple necked guitars with Dirty Fingers pickups in the 80's. Aside from the lousy neck joint they rocked hard.

Ron Kirn
09-09-2011, 07:24 AM
would an alder body/maple neck humbucker guitar be too bright?

only if you think it is...there is only one person that can have an opinion about your guitar that matters... that would be you..

Incidentally, I have done plenty with alder w/maple necks and a HB... all were fine....

Ron Kirn

weshunter
09-09-2011, 08:30 AM
I was thinking A5 pups, but I guess Id run it by the guy who would be winding the pups (David Shepherd) and see what he thinks would work best.

I suppose I could always turn the tone control down too, if I wanted to

buddastrat
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I think they're brighter, but that's a good way, like in cut through the mix bright. If you played strats that were like that, a humbucker will not be as bright as the single coils. So you kinda already have an idea, no? If you think you'd want it a little darker, you could use rosewood board, or use a basswood body instead.

I'm currently trying to warm up my parts strat which is alder and quartersawn maple. It cuts through nicely, I'm trying to get a little more fullness out of it, and decided to swap the steel block out and try a brass one. Hope it works. The strat is real nice as it is an cuts through.

robertkoa
09-09-2011, 10:26 AM
On neck through Carvins like the SC90- using a Maple Neck IMO will result in a much brighter tone than a Mahogany or Koa neck.

Also- since the hardware and bridge are all anchored through the neck- it ( Maple Neck Through) tends to act like an all Maple guitar in some ways- and may not have as much LOW frequencies-and just rolling back the tone or presence on the guitar or Amp may not work for getting fuller tones.

IMO- best to start with the basic tonality of the guitar ( unplugged ) close to what you want, rather than depend too much on electronics to get you there.

JB6464
09-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I was thinking A5 pups, but I guess Id run it by the guy who would be winding the pups (David Shepherd) and see what he thinks would work best.

I suppose I could always turn the tone control down too, if I wanted to

A2's will be warmer than A5 single coils.
That's what i switched to in my alder strats with a maple necks and ebony fretboards.

burningyen
09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Zz2Rw57ZhJU