PDA

View Full Version : That George Lynch midrange chewiness......how does he get it ?

BryanMatthews
09-13-2011, 03:19 PM
kaxBUZYFlhI

I could have chosen any track from that masterpiece album from 1987, every song is full of the fattest , chewiest midrange that just makes my adrenaline rush. Lynch`s guitars are solid maple, there is no mahogany body with maple cap being played, yet the guitar sounds so glorious in the mids with more chewiness that the fat on the outside of a sirloin steak .:bow

Cry of the Gypsy has the lot, one of the finest rock tones ever recorded and the song just kicks ass in every single dept, so how did Lynch get that tone, is it his guitar, is it the inherent sound of a blazing soldano , excellent recording and mastering techniques.................how does his midrange sound THAT chewy and full ? :omg

stevel
09-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I remember interviews from back in the day that said "Tubescreamer into X" - X being whatever amps he was using at the time.

That maybe myth, or only a snapshot of a certain time period, but that's what I read.

Steve

Ultron
09-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a Kamikaze 1, back from 1988....it weighs 1 metric ton, but the maple body does really sound kickass into any amp I play....definitely brighter, but I like bright. I can get pretty close to those tones with a Cusack screamer into the amp.

BryanMatthews
09-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I remember interviews from back in the day that said "Tubescreamer into X" - X being whatever amps he was using at the time.

That maybe myth, or only a snapshot of a certain time period, but that's what I read.

Steve

tubescreamer has a midrange hump, doesnt it ? wonder if its a tubescreamer pushing an already distorted slo 100 ?

ontariomaximus
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Some of it is the .68uf presence cap in the amp.

sws1
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
There are also double-tracked guitars, which makes the rhythm guitars sound squishier.

FuzzyAce
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Sounds like he has most of the bass rolled back too.

BryanMatthews
09-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Sounds like he has most of the bass rolled back too.

you think so, sounds to me like the mids are jacked, treble backed off little and bass added last with care not to sound booming. kinda reminds me of evh tonequest .....he does it this way,no he doesnt , infact its this way. have to do some further reading into exactly what he was using in studio in 1987

Wagster
09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
A lot of the guys back then used a Furman eq to boost the eq in the mids. It gives it a notched/cocked wah type tone. I'm not sure if GL did this but it does have that tone.

BryanMatthews
09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Michael Wagener (producer Under Lock & Key 1985 ):
"The setup for George's guitar tone on "Under Lock And Key" was as follows:
We had two Marshall heads and two Laney heads, not sure which models, but one of them was a Plexi. We had cabs in three different rooms: two cabs were placed in the big room at Amigo, one connected to a Marshall, the other connected to the Laney. The Marshall was responsible for the high end part of the sound and the Laney was set to take care of the low end. There were 14 (fourteen) mics set up in that room in various psoitions around the cabinet and some further away to get some room tone. The second Laney was sent into a very dead room and had a Boss chorus pedal (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/12703-boss-ceb-3-bass-chorus.html) in front of it, set to very slight chorus. The second Marshall was sent into a small, tiled bathroom, to add a different room tone. Those 16 mics came in on the MCI 500 console mic pres. They were bussed to one bus and that bus had a UREI 530 EQ on it (best guitar EQ ever). George mentioned that he always gets a great tone with his Fostex 4track recorder when it's in total overdrive, so I asked him to bring it in. So after the 530 everything was sent to the Fostex 4track, which lived under a packing blanket under the console, so nobody would see it. The Fostex was on stunn, completely overdriven and was sent on to the 3M 32 track dig machine from there.

No, I am NOT kidding!!!"

seems to be a lot of work to get a guitar tone eh :bonk

monsta
09-13-2011, 05:15 PM
We had two Marshall heads and two Laney heads, not sure which models, but one of them was a Plexi. We had cabs in three different rooms: two cabs were placed in the big room at Amigo, one connected to a Marshall, the other connected to the Laney. The Marshall was responsible for the high end part of the sound and the Laney was set to take care of the low end. There were 14 (fourteen) mics set up in that room in various psoitions around the cabinet and some further away to get some room tone. The second Laney was sent into a very dead room and had a Boss chorus pedal (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/12703-boss-ceb-3-bass-chorus.html) in front of it, set to very slight chorus. The second Marshall was sent into a small, tiled bathroom, to add a different room tone. Those 16 mics came in on the MCI 500 console mic pres. They were bussed to one bus and that bus had a UREI 530 EQ on it (best guitar EQ ever). George mentioned that he always gets a great tone with his Fostex 4track recorder when it's in total overdrive, so I asked him to bring it in. So after the 530 everything was sent to the Fostex 4track, which lived under a packing blanket under the console, so nobody would see it. The Fostex was on stunn, completely overdriven and was sent on to the 3M 32 track dig machine from there.

No, I am NOT kidding!!!"

More money than brains.....

carbz
09-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Personally I don't care for that track. Heaven Sent is my favorite track on that record with Standing in the Shadows right behind it. The tone he got on the record is pretty cool though for some reason it sounds like a small amp to me.

musicman10_1
09-13-2011, 08:31 PM
This album has my favorite tones of all time. Sleepless Nights is my favorite song but the entire album is truly a masterpiece (imo).

movingpictures
09-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't think he was using soldanos at that point. didn't he use dimartinis purple plexi for the dokken stuff? Sounds like a hotrodded Marshall

paintguy
09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Sorry to derail the thread, but I just had to say that George Lynch just out of the blue walked into my auto paint supply store a few hours ago to buy some sandpaper to sand his "Mr. Scary" guitars. I didn't know he made guitars.

What a trip! Totally down to earth guy whe never let on who he was except I started asking questions about what he was sanding (he said wood) and that led to "guitars" and me asking what brand he made. Then I asked for his I.D. for the credit card transaction and it confirmed what I already suspected. It was George. What a super cool guy. Showed me a bunch of pics of his stuff and the history behind it.

As a rock guitar player from the 80's, of course I'm a fan too.

Back to your reglaur scheduled thread. I just felt like sharing since I open up TGP and the first thread I look at is on George Lynch.

jjguitarranch
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Love his tone on Heaven Sent and that AMAZING solo. I think on Back For The Attack he used Aspen Pittman's purple Plexi. I did not like his tone on Under Lock and Key. The above explanation if true, explains lots! The other day I was listening to Lynch Mob, Wicked Sensation and his tone and the overall sound of that record is excellent for the era/style

harpinon
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
What is this Fostex thingy you refer to?
Ill pay any price.....

Smakutus
09-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Wasn't it his thing back then to use 10" speakers instead of 12's?

Jeff

LAVALLE
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Sorry to derail the thread, but I just had to say that George Lynch just out of the blue walked into my auto paint supply store a few hours ago to buy some sandpaper to sand his "Mr. Scary" guitars. I didn't know he made guitars.

What a trip! Totally down to earth guy whe never let on who he was except I started asking questions about what he was sanding (he said wood) and that led to "guitars" and me asking what brand he made. Then I asked for his I.D. for the credit card transaction and it confirmed what I already suspected. It was George. What a super cool guy. Showed me a bunch of pics of his stuff and the history behind it.

As a rock guitar player from the 80's, of course I'm a fan too.

Back to your reglaur scheduled thread. I just felt like sharing since I open up TGP and the first thread I look at is on George Lynch.

Pics Larry, or it was one of the real housewives of orange county!!!:rotflmao

WoodyTone com
09-16-2011, 02:16 PM
What is this Fostex thingy you refer to?
Ill pay any price.....

I think I have one....

Axeplyr
09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Man, thanks for the trip down memory lane... I used to rewind and replay that "Gypsy" solo for HOURS... SMOKIN'!!!! :bow

Rad Skronker
09-16-2011, 04:00 PM
George Lynch
Ritchie Blackmore
And the Stones

There might be something to the whole "tape recorder" booster.

Someone should build a pedal that simulates the "tape booster" sound.

Says Richards: "Street Fighting Man was all acoustics. There's no electric guitar parts in it. Even the high-end lead part was through a cassette player with no limiter. Just distortion.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=508

Joe Gamble
09-16-2011, 07:12 PM

No, I am NOT kidding!!!"

Ahhh... the '80's.

Man, thanks for the trip down memory lane... I used to rewind and replay that "Gypsy" solo for HOURS... SMOKIN'!!!! :bow

Really cool to see people giving that solo props. That's one of the craziest solos of that entire era of guitar playing. I don't think it's possible to play with more any more attitude and the tone is off the chain- harmonics exploding everywhere! Definitive Mr. Scary!

nsriley
09-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Bump for a cool thread. I've been chasing his tone with that midrange chewy sound......

ShadowPlay
09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Funny to see this thread, I just learned this tune this week!

No doubt Lynch's tone is excellent.

Stinky Kitty
09-27-2011, 04:46 AM
Scary still has the fire.

pQSobhEO_FU&feature=related

uQi57rDKv2o

partsocaster
09-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Another thing often overlooked by people trying to emulate his sound is that George uses PAF level or just hotter pickups, mid gain at best. If you are driving emgs against an amp, you could be running through George's own rig and you would sound nothing like him. Want mid-range chewiness, don't forget the PAFs, they are key.

cram
09-27-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure if this nails the tone you're after, but listen to him describe HOW this is done for his custom amp -

QGErfbbJOqg

Pay mind to his nod toward "80's modded marshall tone"

Fred Farkus
09-27-2011, 06:45 AM
The fostex idea is interesting. I did a recording many yrs ago using my tascam ministudio 4 trk mixer as a mic pre. Got lots of compliments and people thought that was key to the sound. TS9 into cranked marshall is a good combo for chewy mids too. Loved Lynch's solo&sound on his "Goin' Down" cover.

Johnster
11-06-2011, 08:41 AM
It seems like the idea of using multiple amps is a major part of George's sound. He endorses a product called "The Tripler" that enables the user to combine 3 amps. Does anyone here have more info about this?

Blue Tile Fever
11-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Ok, someone please tell me why the tone is described as "chewy"?

dsmc80
11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Scary still has the fire.

pQSobhEO_FU&feature=related

uQi57rDKv2o

Wow! I've seen his name all over gear promos and all of that, but I have never paid attention to any of his music. I just kind of wandered in to this thread.....

The playing in that first video is fantastic! Awesome phrasing, feel, sound.

There is always something cool to be heard every day. :bow

larimar
11-06-2011, 09:29 AM
IIRC He used SS Randall RG amps at some time during the 80's.

Bankston
11-06-2011, 09:37 AM
IIRC He used SS Randall RG amps at some time during the 80's.

Tooth and Nail was recorded with the Randall RG amps, I believe. He used old Marshalls on Under Lock and Key, which was his best tone, imo.

George is the rare cat who can hit that one note that sends chills down your spine then blow you away with a smooth, lightning fast shredfest. He can say more with either one note or a slew of notes.

As he's gotten older he's refined his phrasing and there are remarkable subtleties in it. George also is an example of a guy who's technique is always in service to his phrasing and feeling.

rob2001
11-06-2011, 09:49 AM
George is cool. Lots of memorable tones and licks.

Personally I like his tones from the early Lynch Mob days, but no doubt i'm a big fan of the Dokken tones too.

hawkeye17
11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok, someone please tell me why the tone is described as "chewy"?

I love George's tone on that album but when I think 'chewy' I think Friedman's lead tones on Rust in Peace. A lot of the 'chewy' in George's tone is from his hands and pick attack too imho.

Mayor McCheese
11-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I thought he used that infamous purple Marshall plexi head from SIR (?) and a DS-1. If you take a DS-1 and use it as a boost into a low gain head it'll get pretty close to his lead tone. The low-ish output pickups help as well, although I thought he used Duncan Distortions with the maple bodied guitars he liked? Throw some delay on there and you've got it.

petermelton
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I used to work with his guitar tech and he tells me the only amp George has ever recorded for dirt is his old Marshall. He used an ENGL Fireball for the cleans on one album. I can't remember witch though.

Matt L
11-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Some of my favorite tone ever.

Another album with ridiculous Plexi crunch is Dancing Undercover by Ratt. DeMartini and Crosby are panned hard left-right, and they both sound incredible. I wonder if they both used the same amp? I know Warren had a particularly coveted 50-watt plexi that Richie Fliegler has said was one of the best he'd ever heard. The one Lynch was always trying to steal from him, I think :)

cPHphkizMOs

wildschwein
05-27-2012, 08:20 AM
George Lynch
Ritchie Blackmore
And the Stones

There might be something to the whole "tape recorder" booster.

Someone should build a pedal that simulates the "tape booster" sound.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=508
This one looks good: http://www.treblebooster.net/california.html