PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Fender Bandmaster combo conversion

monkmiles
09-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Thought I'd share an interesting amp project going on right now. I'm converting a 1971 silverface Fender Bandmaster (non-reverb) head into a 2x10 combo.

I ordered the head off of someone on ebay and it's in good shape. It had a minor problem with the vibrato which I had to get looked at and fixed, but the tech said it looks to be in great shape.

Bought a pair of slightly used Eminence Copperhead speakers. They seem to have good combo of sensitivity (99db) for good volume and headroom and also seem to retain that Fender tone. I use pedals for gain.

I ordered a 2x10 combo cabinet from JD Newell. I hope to be receiving that tomorrow!

I plan to use it when I need more volume than my PRRI provides. I have a 12" Eminence Lil Texas in my PRRI that really helps with volume though (101db sensitivity speaker).

I will post some pics soon.

blackba
09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Can't wait to see the pictures.

Ironically, I bought my '69 Fender Bandmaster reverb since it was a head and prefer heads. I still can see the advantages of having it in a combo cab. I think a 210 is the right way to go. If you went 112 or 115, you would be pretty limited to 4ohm speakers if you want to match the impedance. If you went to a 212, now you are starting to get more weight.

sabby
09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I did this with a 67 Bandmaster and I love it. It sits at a real Goldilocks volume level and I don't miss the reverb at volume. A delay gets me there fine, and it's perhaps seems a bit more pedal friendly than my Princeton Reverb.

slider313
09-22-2011, 10:03 AM
This is my '66 with a 4 ohm, 15" Weber Blue Dog in a Mather Custom Cab. Have your tech install a 50K switch pot in place of the vibrato intensity. You'll thank me later.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/b376/slider313/Picture1241.jpg

Beat Up G
09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a plan! Those converted combos are sweet.

Robertito
09-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I also did a '67, and it's a great amp - Newell cab, Weber 10A125 and 10F150T speakers, first channel converted to Dumble clean specs, etc. You'll love it!

Rob Livesey
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm doing the same thing with a '70 Bandmaster Reverb except I'm building a Super Reverb. Getting the cab made locally from reclaimed pine, bought WeberVST Sig Alnico's and Ceramic's 2+2, Magnetic components OP tranny from Triode, even got a BF faceplate off ebay, full recap and blackface mod.

Just waiting on the cab and I'll post pics too!

Rob.

monkmiles
09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Can't wait to see the pictures.

Ironically, I bought my '69 Fender Bandmaster reverb since it was a head and prefer heads. I still can see the advantages of having it in a combo cab. I think a 210 is the right way to go. If you went 112 or 115, you would be pretty limited to 4ohm speakers if you want to match the impedance. If you went to a 212, now you are starting to get more weight.

Yea, there are pluses/minuses to head/cab or combo setups. I tend to prefer combos I guess. And the 2x10 keeps the size down...I hate heavy amps (otherwise I'd have a twin reverb probably).

I did this with a 67 Bandmaster and I love it. It sits at a real Goldilocks volume level and I don't miss the reverb at volume. A delay gets me there fine, and it's perhaps seems a bit more pedal friendly than my Princeton Reverb.

Glad to hear you don't miss the reverb. That's the only thing I'm just a tad worried about.

This is my '66 with a 4 ohm, 15" Weber Blue Dog in a Mather Custom Cab. Have your tech install a 50K switch pot in place of the vibrato intensity. You'll thank me later.

Yours looks sweet! What's the switch pot mod you're talking about? I do want to keep control of the vibrato intensity though, as I expect to play primarily through the vibrato channel and use a little vibrato for depth.

I also did a '67, and it's a great amp - Newell cab, Weber 10A125 and 10F150T speakers, first channel converted to Dumble clean specs, etc. You'll love it!

Yep, we exchanged a couple PMs not too long ago. Appreciate your info.

I'm doing the same thing with a '70 Bandmaster Reverb except I'm building a Super Reverb. Getting the cab made locally from reclaimed pine, bought WeberVST Sig Alnico's and Ceramic's 2+2, Magnetic components OP tranny from Triode, even got a BF faceplate off ebay, full recap and blackface mod.

Just waiting on the cab and I'll post pics too!

Sounds awesome! Would be interested in those pics.

slider313
09-22-2011, 03:09 PM
A 50K reverse log switch pot; (Weber stocks them) allows you to remove the 50K load from the circuit for a more transparent tone with more gain. If you want to use the vibrato function, you just turn the pot on.

monkmiles
09-22-2011, 03:35 PM
A 50K reverse log switch pot; (Weber stocks them) allows you to remove the 50K load from the circuit for a more transparent tone with more gain. If you want to use the vibrato function, you just turn the pot on.

Ah, got it. Great idea! I will add that to the list of things to do to it in the future.

telejammer
09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
I had a SuperReverb built using my Bandmaster Reverb head, have the vibrato cut -out switch and reverb on both channels. Amp is "Blackfaced" and had a cap job done. I bought a mint SRRI and used the cab,speakers, OT.choke and some other parts my tech changed. Just have to say that it sounds as good as just about any other SuperReverb and it looks brand new. Like having a new 1965 Super.

monkmiles
09-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Combo cabinet received. Installed everything into it last nite...went smoothly. Here's a complete pic:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1213/imag0102ua.jpg

ROKY
09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Combo cabinet received. Installed everything into it last nite...went smoothly. Here's a complete pic:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1213/imag0102ua.jpg

How wide is this cab ?

ES350
09-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I picked up a one-off 3x10 Rodgers cab cut for a Bandmaster head...put a '68 in it (with Bassman iron) and it is a nice amp, smaller and lighter than a Super, with pretty good low end.

monkmiles
09-24-2011, 09:37 PM
How wide is this cab ?

It's 24" wide. So about the width of a Deluxe Reverb (which is 24.5"). In fact, I'll probably get a Deluxe Reverb amp cover for it.

blackba
09-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Looks great Monkmiles. :)

monkmiles
10-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Spent a good amount of time playing my Bandmaster yesterday. The clean tone is fabulous! The vibrato sounds great, but has a constant ticking noise. Anyone know if that is fixable? I've read its somewhat common for this vibrato design? The ticking ticks at the same rate as the speed knob. You can't hear it when your playing because the playing drowns it out. But as soon as you stop, its very noticeable. Maybe I will check with my tech again and see if he thinks he can remove it.

keithb7
10-01-2011, 10:11 AM
My 64 Bandmaster is dead quiet at idle with vibrato on. There is no ticking at all. Good plan to have your tech check it out. Nice combo by the way. Love it!

magilla
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Great work, looks awesome.

Just got a Bandmaster head myself, a Blackface with bigger iron and 4 6L6s and I really dig it. I am also from the Metrowest area. Small world...

shizzaq
10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
My VR does the clicking too. I don't know how to fix it.

slider313
10-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Looks real nice!

monkmiles
10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
My 64 Bandmaster is dead quiet at idle with vibrato on. There is no ticking at all. Good plan to have your tech check it out. Nice combo by the way. Love it!

Thanks, I'm going to drop it off tonight to the tech. He said it shouldn't tick and said he will take care of it.

Great work, looks awesome.

Just got a Bandmaster head myself, a Blackface with bigger iron and 4 6L6s and I really dig it. I am also from the Metrowest area. Small world...

Thanks man! Enjoy your Bandmaster as well. Small world...there's another member in the metrowest area too. Someday we should have a gear tryout jam thingie get together.

My VR does the clicking too. I don't know how to fix it.

I'm not sure how to fix it myself, but my tech seems to think he can...and I certainly hope so without costing too much!

In my googling, I found a Fender bulletin that talks about possible fixes as well as other info:

http://www.regiscoyne.com/tech/tremolo/
http://www.harpamps.com/micKfender/Vibrato-Tick-Svc-Bltn-9.html

Looks real nice!

Thanks!