PDA

View Full Version : Swart STR-Tremolo

dividedsky
09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Read this debuted at the guitar and amp show in Raleigh last weekend. Anyone have the details? I'm guessing it's a regular STR-Tweed with trem added. I know many people have been asking for this. Should be sweet.

Wombat
09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Wow. I'll bet. That great drive switch plus the reverb and trem of the AST? That's a winner

From the news link on Michael's site. Sounds like other goodies as well...

Been a long time but we've been super busy this summer. Got a host of new Dealers (http://swartamps.com/dealers.htm) here and overseas. Wanted to let the Swart Amps Brigade know that all is well post Irene as she skirted the coast far enough offshore to keep us shut down for only 48 hours. Hope to see you guys at the Southeastern Guitar & Amp Show (http://guitarandampshow.com/) at the Raleigh Convention Center on Sept 24th-25th. Looking to bring the new STR-Tremolo, High Power AST HEAD/MASTER, Swart Fuzz, Swart NL Headphone Amp, AST Master, Atomic Jr, SST, along with the whole line, all plugged in with tubes aglow.

VicAjax
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Does this mean a whole bunch of STRs are going to hit the Emporium soon? I sure hope so!

:drool

Realfi
09-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Want to know more about the fuzz and headphone amp too. Intriguing!

Astronome
09-30-2011, 12:53 AM
hmm high power AST head?

joesnewmatch
09-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Swart is being such a tease. Nothing new on the main page or FB page. I've been checking almost daily. Very curious about the headphone amp and STR-trem.

SKYHIGH
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Is it going to cost arm and a leg as usual?

Their bigger amps are priced ok but smaller ones are...ouch! I would be very interested in that headphone amp but knowing what other small Swart costs, I shouldn't hope...

Astronome
09-30-2011, 03:08 PM
im curious if the high power ast will be cathode bias just like the rest?

Realfi
10-01-2011, 12:20 AM
im curious if the high power ast will be cathode bias just like the rest?

Fixed bias I hear but I haven't heard much else about it.

porterburst
10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
From Swart:

"Yep, the STR-Tremolo will indeed exist and will have the same soul and basic circuit as the STR-Tweed, just with:

The addition of a great tremolo stage (along with same quality Reverb stage) The addition of an EQ Switch with three tone settings (very useful)
As stock in the original STR 60s style cab (likely optional TWEED cab for $100)
Pricing is not yet determined. Release in @ two months or maybe a bit less. I am thinking it WILL be available in the standard tweed cab though might cost $100 extra

We've not released the exact layout yet but it will be up soon. It will not have a hidden tube around the back side anymore, though. It has the same tone as the STR-Tweed, perhaps even a touch sweeter, actually. But I have not had them side-by-side to compare yet, that is, in proper fashion.

EQ switch brings a bit more variation in the three basic tonal settings. I need to come up with a proper description for each, but that's coming soon when I get it for some longer term testing. "

Cab size will be the same as the reguar STR-Tweed, only with a larger cut out on top. Will aslo come with the Mojo BV30 speaker.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/cporter65/Swart1.jpg

Wombat
10-01-2011, 08:18 AM
From Swart:

"Yep, the STR-Tremolo will indeed exist and will have the same soul and basic circuit as the STR-Tweed, just with:

The addition of a great tremolo stage (along with same quality Reverb stage)<LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 15px">The addition of an EQ Switch with three tone settings (very useful)
As stock in the original STR 60s style cab (likely optional TWEED cab for $100)
Pricing is not yet determined. Release in @ two months or maybe a bit less. I am thinking it WILL be available in the standard tweed cab though might cost $100 extra

We've not released the exact layout yet but it will be up soon. It will not have a hidden tube around the back side anymore, though. It has the same tone as the STR-Tweed, perhaps even a touch sweeter, actually. But I have not had them side-by-side to compare yet, that is, in proper fashion.

EQ switch brings a bit more variation in the three basic tonal settings. I need to come up with a proper description for each, but that's coming soon when I get it for some longer term testing. "

Cab size will be the same as the reguar STR-Tweed, only with a larger cut out on top. Will aslo come with the Mojo BV30 speaker.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/cporter65/Swart1.jpg

I'm in. Can't wait

dividedsky
10-02-2011, 12:04 AM
nice. I bet $1550 on the price. Just a guess.

VicAjax
10-02-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm seriously drooling, but i think it's going to be a bit too spendy for my wallet.

sanhozay
10-02-2011, 08:32 AM
wow! i want it! that's just not fair... because

i picked up a carr raleigh this summer for home and it is super gratifying to play at low volumes and achieve big sounds...but

that swart on paper & visually appears to be the PERFECT home, recording, small gig amp.

Crazyquilt
10-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Ever since I got my first AST combos -- and I got one of the first few runs -- I've dreamed of a 6V6se with verb & trem (this was long before the STR, of course.) I finally broke down & got an Atom about 6 months ago, and it's a great amp, my go-to small amp, even if it lacks trem. But I always hoped he'd do a small amp with verb & trem, and here it is and here I am -- out of the market.

Good luck to Michael & crew. I'm sure whoever does get one will love it. Swart builds fantastic amps, and nothing allows me to get my favored sound & feel like one of those 6V6 powered wonders from North Carolina.

porterburst
10-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I wonder if the hot/clean switch will remain in the str-tremolo or its been replaced by the 3 position eq switch.

Only one switch as far as I know, but I don't think he's finalized anything 100%. Anything could change before it hits the market.

Shane S
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I am going to check this amp once one becomes avaiable in my area. I have not bought a new amp in fours years and I have sold all my amps except my AST. This might be the perfect amp for me.

Realfi
10-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Well. All we need now is for someone to play one!

leighianson
11-08-2011, 05:25 PM
hmmm a month after the last post, anyone got any more news on the str trem? I was in the market for an AST pro but don't really need a lot of clean headroom so this amp would be killer.

dividedsky
01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Any updates? I see A LOT of STR-Tweeds for sale and it makes me wonder if people are getting ready to trade up or if it's just amp swapping on TGP as usual.

joesnewmatch
01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Any updates? I see A LOT of STR-Tweeds for sale and it makes me wonder if people are getting ready to trade up or if it's just amp swapping on TGP as usual.

+1.

What's with the teaing, Swart? We NEED info!

joesnewmatch
01-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Hey guys, check out the Swart website -- concrete info on the STR-TREM and new fuzzy boost!

GASing beyond belief for the new amp!

thesjkexperienc
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I have had the fuzzy boost for over a month and it is a killer pedal!

What is that green guitar?

Hopefully things will improve around here and I can consider the new amp. I know my Victoria 20112 has been gathering dust since I got my AST Pro about 3 years ago.

GAT
01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds like it will have less gain than the non-trem one. I rarely use trem so I'll be looking for a used STR in the Emporium!

Realfi
01-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Sounds like it will have less gain than the non-trem one. I rarely use trem so I'll be looking for a used STR in the Emporium!

Less gain, but, as well as the trem it sounds like it will have a little more EQ flexibility with an EQ switch. I'd like to know more about that feature.

Realfi
02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
So, what's the latest? Anyone tried one?

Wombat
02-05-2012, 08:46 PM
So, what's the latest? Anyone tried one?

According to my local dealer, the cabinets are a little behind schedule, but I'm hoping to hear more this week

dividedsky
02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Updated with new pics on the site and you can now place a reservation for one at Fat Sound. I won't be able to purchase anything for a long time it looks like because of some unanticipated medical bills but I hope you guys do and post the clips!

zpicker
02-13-2012, 06:19 PM
man i am seriously gassing over this amp. they should hit the street by end of march.

Couloirman
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Just put in my deposit at Fat Sound. Im getting the AST style cabinet with this beauty. I am so stoked. Will post sound samples once it arrives :)

Realfi
03-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Just put in my deposit at Fat Sound. Im getting the AST style cabinet with this beauty. I am so stoked. Will post sound samples once it arrives :)

I'll look forward to that.

mrwhipple
03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
curious about the slight reduction in gain because the standard STR sounds so sweet just the way it is.

Oasis.Guitar
03-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Just placed my name on the fat sound list as well.

dividedsky
03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
STR-Tremolo History

9/11 - Debuted at Raleigh Amp show. Set to be released by the start of the new year.

1/12 - Swart site updated. Said amp would hit dealers before Feb.

2/12 - Swart site updated. Said amp would hit dealers in 2 weeks.

Ahhhhhhh....can't wait to hear this amp!

Crazyquilt
03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Only three months past an initial, probably intentionally rough deadline? That's pretty good, really. I just boxed up for return a pedal I waited 14 months for, which was supposed to take 3 or less.

And, unlike said pedal, I think we all know the result will be worth it. :aok

dividedsky
03-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah I know it's really not that bad, for this industry anyway. Most companies outside of the musical instrument world (and the major ones within it) set dates and stick to them. I think we are just so used to this that a few months behind seems trivial. And let's face it...this is a first world problem all the way but still I want to hear this amp!

Crazyquilt
03-14-2012, 08:15 PM
My friend, you are absolutely preaching to the choir. Every ms of delay is a lifetime.

But knowing Mr Mike won't let us down is some comfort. :D

Shane S
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
They are now shipping:

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/amps/swart-amp-co/swart-amps.php

Couloirman
03-20-2012, 03:29 PM
They are now shipping:

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/amps/swart-amp-co/swart-amps.php

NICE! Anyone on here get their's yet?

Also, anyone heard anything about the headphone amp? I havent seen anything about it yet.

Crazyquilt
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
In blue?......BLUE!?

Damn you, Michael Swart.

Anyone wanna Atomic Jr? :facepalm

Couloirman
04-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Another BUMP. Someone must have played these by now-- how's it going???

crunchman
04-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Does this mean a whole bunch of STRs are going to hit the Emporium soon? I sure hope so!

:drool

Great soundin' from my vantage point !

joesnewmatch
04-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm still waiting on a good review, comparing the STR and STR-T. Anyone?!?!

dividedsky
04-27-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't think anyone has one yet...not even the dealers.

Stringmaster
04-28-2012, 10:13 AM
A few have come and gone. Waiting for a review myself.

JRPTube
05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Mine arrives this Friday if the UPS man is on time. Got it coming in the AST style cab. Super stoked, tone report on Sunday at earliest...

Realfi
05-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Mine arrives this Friday if the UPS man is on time. Got it coming in the AST style cab. Super stoked, tone report on Sunday at earliest...

Cool!

leighianson
05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty keen for clips

dividedsky
05-02-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm pretty keen for clips

Me too!

Surprised this one hasn't made its way into Greg V's hands yet.

Couloirman
05-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Mine ships tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

Realfi
05-13-2012, 07:35 PM
I really need to see a side by side comparison.

STR Tweed v STR Tremolo

It'd be handy to know what you sacrifice in gain and aggressiveness to get the trem and how the overall tonalities compare.

Realfi
05-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Me too!

Surprised this one hasn't made its way into Greg V's hands yet.

Yeah I suggested that some months ago via email to the Swart guys well, actually for a number of their more recent amps and the FuzzyBoost.

Greg has just taken on a full-time position with Bogner though so I don't know what impact that will have on his ability to do product demos for other companies.

dividedsky
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
So...um...hmm...ugh....

Guiliver
06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Just a bump to this threat to know if some of you have received and played the STR Tremolo.

Very curious.

Sammicus15
06-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Bumpin' this... Who's got an STR-Tremolo??

JSimon
06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I owned an atom jr, and absolutely loved it. Perfect for around the house and for intimate jams (entirely what I do these days).

The STR Tremolo is, like all Swart's offerings, stellar. A couple things that set it apart right away from the STR-Tweed: the cabinet is an inch or so deeper, and it does seem to make a noticeable difference in the tone . . . I felt like the clean tones were a wee bit richer when compared against the Tweed sitting next to it. Keep in mind, of course, I was in a music store, so I couldn't properly audition them . .the volume for both was only 2.5 to 3. Unfortunately, this was not enough volume to answer the question we're all burning for: "What is the difference in the gain between the two" - apart from the obvious gain switch on the STR-Tweed. I will say that the toggle switch on the STR-T did add a bit of gain, similar to the gain switch on the atom jr, but it didn't approach the gobs of gain you get by hitting the Tweed's gain switch. The deeper cabinet and tremolo combine to make this amp sound simply huge! It sounded so good it kind of made me giggle -- ridiculous when a grown man acts like a little kid! I wasn't sure what to think of the tone toggle switch . . . normally these things are underwhelming . . but I like the differences in tone I was getting . . .in the middle setting, it really seemed to emulate the clean setting of the STR-Tweed . . push the switch down and it sort of mellowed the tone out . . . made me want to switch to the neck position, roll back the tone on the guitar, and play jazz chords . . . the other way introduced a brighter, rawer tone that, as I said before, reminds me of the gain switch on the Atom jr.

I really considered buying it right then and there, but the only reason that I didn't is that with the price being almost 1500, it seems silly not to consider paying the same or less for a used AST, right?. As I said earlier, I don't necessarily need the volume . . but you never know when you might!

It's not really a detailed review . . . that would require more than 20 minutes and some additional volume! Hope this helps . . . I'm still undecided . . . I like every Swart I play, so how can even hope to choose just one!

Neighbor Pete
07-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Any more feedback from folks with the new STR Tremolo? This is an amp I keep thinking about but clips etc. have been incredibly scarce since it was released for some odd reason...

Zounds Perspex
08-07-2012, 01:26 AM
another little bump!

dividedsky
09-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyone found any clips yet?

joesnewmatch
09-14-2012, 12:22 PM
If you haven't checked the swart website, don't... STEREO amp debuting, with 2 5 watters, dirty and clean, trem and reverb. No other info, just picture. Oh my!

dbyrne36
09-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Dear lord, what has he gone and done? That is going to be pretty awesome!

leighianson
09-14-2012, 06:20 PM
^^^ True true. I hope he makes a head and cab format.

dbyrne36
09-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. Run two cabs... would make for a killer wet/dry/wet rig with another small amp in the middle.

dividedsky
10-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Another month...anything? Clips, reviews, etc?

Realfi
10-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Yeah it seems strange.

There is no Swart dealer within thousands of kilometers of me and I'd really like to hear a side by side comparison of the STR and the STR Trem.

dividedsky
10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Mine will be here sometime next week. Will definitely post in this thread!

Crazyquilt
10-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Mine will be here sometime next week. Will definitely post in this thread!

The Trem, or the Stereo? I assume the former, but just checking. Inquiring minds, etc.

dividedsky
10-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Tremolo

Crazyquilt
10-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Sweet. :aok

fuzznutz
11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Here's the first video of it in the wild... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVGY9yy9pIs

dividedsky
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks! Mine was supposed to be here today....maybe tomorrow?

Couloirman
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks! Mine was supposed to be here today....maybe tomorrow?

stoked to hear what you think of it.

joesnewmatch
11-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Here's the first video of it in the wild... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVGY9yy9pIs

Thanks for posting! Very nice playing. Sounds great - both the amp and your playing. Did you use a hollow/semi-hollowbody? Also, how does the Swart compare to your PR? Very interested in your thought on that front!

dividedsky
11-10-2012, 09:48 PM
The amp came today. The one I bought is loaded with a Blue so I'm sure it sounds a bit different than most.

I haven't played it much, maybe a little over an hour. Will be playing some more soon. A few thoughts compared to the STR-Tweed I used to own....

This one has much less gain. I know the STR-Tweed had the hot switch but I always kept it in cool mode and even then it had a lot more gain than this one does. Even dimed this one doesn't approach the gain the STR-Tweed had at half way. I don't have any pedals so I can't see how it reacts to a boost but I bet that would do the trick.

That being said this amp sounds very, very good. Definitely better than my STR-Tweed. It has more headroom, a great EQ switch, classic Swart reverb, and a beautiful tremolo. It's a lot richer sound than the STR-Tweed but at least part of that is the speaker choice. Will put up a clip or two later on but all I have is a cheap digital camera so we will still have to wait for others to get quality stuff.

Realfi
11-11-2012, 07:17 AM
The amp came today. The one I bought is loaded with a Blue so I'm sure it sounds a bit different than most.

I haven't played it much, maybe a little over an hour. Will be playing some more soon. A few thoughts compared to the STR-Tweed I used to own....

This one has much less gain. I know the STR-Tweed had the hot switch but I always kept it in cool mode and even then it had a lot more gain than this one does. Even dimed this one doesn't approach the gain the STR-Tweed had at half way. I don't have any pedals so I can't see how it reacts to a boost but I bet that would do the trick.

That being said this amp sounds very, very good. Definitely better than my STR-Tweed. It has more headroom, a great EQ switch, classic Swart reverb, and a beautiful tremolo. It's a lot richer sound than the STR-Tweed but at least part of that is the speaker choice. Will put up a clip or two later on but all I have is a cheap digital camera so we will still have to wait for others to get quality stuff.

I'd love to hear more about that EQ switch.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos

dividedsky
11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Basically it has 3 positions and in the middle it's the most balanced. That's where I've been keeping it. With it in the middle and the tone knob straight up or just a bit past it sounds really good with my Tele (which has darker pickups than normal). In the down position it cuts bass and adds treble. In this position I put the tone back to about 10 o'clock and it sounds like the classic Tele tone. The up position cuts treble and adds bass, way too much for my liking but a lot of people like more bass than me. So I think the middle is pretty much how it sounds all the time on the STR-Tweed. If you like more EQ options this is definitely the way to go but for my needs I wouldn't trade it for the gain on the STR-Tweed.

dividedsky
11-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Alright guys, did a few clips...no complaining lol.

Might have to back your speaker vol down a little bit. They aren't too loud or anything but for some reason I'm getting distortion at higher levels. Could just be my speakers. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Realfi
11-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Basically it has 3 positions and in the middle it's the most balanced. That's where I've been keeping it. With it in the middle and the tone knob straight up or just a bit past it sounds really good with my Tele (which has darker pickups than normal). In the down position it cuts bass and adds treble. In this position I put the tone back to about 10 o'clock and it sounds like the classic Tele tone. The up position cuts treble and adds bass, way too much for my liking but a lot of people like more bass than me. So I think the middle is pretty much how it sounds all the time on the STR-Tweed. If you like more EQ options this is definitely the way to go but for my needs I wouldn't trade it for the gain on the STR-Tweed.

Alright guys, did a few clips...no complaining lol.

Might have to back your speaker vol down a little bit. They aren't too loud or anything but for some reason I'm getting distortion at higher levels. Could just be my speakers. Anyway, hope you enjoy.

EQ Switch:
cX2iMVbSdYY

Trem & Reverb:
Tu49iYC71jM

Somewhere Over the Rainbow:
Bz3-Af4MsVM

Couldn't do any dirt because it's after 1 am and I'd have to crank it. Maybe later...

Really useful and informative for me thanks.

My only criticism of the two ASTs I had was that the single tone control was a little limiting with certain guitars so I really like the EQ switch.

kronos
11-12-2012, 04:45 AM
Sounds pretty good to me.

Nice demo, thanks.

joesnewmatch
11-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Great clips, thanks! Really!

Now that you've had more time with it, does the amp remind you more of a smaller AST, a mutated STR-Tweed, or is it more of its own thing?

aaronblues
11-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Great clips, thanks! Really!

Now that you've had more time with it, does the amp remind you more of a smaller AST, a mutated STR-Tweed, or is it more of its own thing?

I agree, great clips!

I'd ask the same question.

cheers

dividedsky
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Hmm...not really sure honestly. I have never owned an AST just played one and it was only once years ago. Great sound but I knew right away it was going to be WAY too loud for my needs so I moved on to the STR. The tremolo does sound like the sound I remembered in my head from the AST. The cleans are defnitely nicer IMO on the STR-Tremolo than the STR-Tweed, even without the EQ switch. They remind me more of the rich cleans on the AST. The STR-Tweed didn't really have any cleans unless you played very lightly or backed down the volume. I feel like this amp goes from 1 to 10 whereas the STR-Tweed went from 5-15, even that makes any sense. I think it is a very nice compromise between the STR-Tweed and the AST if you lean more toward cleans/semi cleans rather than the higher gain end of the spectrum.

Dr Doom
11-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Can you break down where this amp gets dirty using either input?

I know the str-tweed starts to get dirty at about 10 oclock using the high input w/the gain switch on. And using the clean input without boost engaged it stays pretty clean almost all the way up.

joesnewmatch
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
dividedsky, thanks for the updates!

Can you, or anyone else, compare the STR-Trem to either a Blackface Princeton Reverb, or a Brownface Princeton? Close relatives, or distant cousins?

dividedsky
11-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Can you break down where this amp gets dirty using either input?

I know the str-tweed starts to get dirty at about 10 oclock using the high input w/the gain switch on. And using the clean input without boost engaged it stays pretty clean almost all the way up.

That was not my experience with the STR-Tweed, but I'm using high output pickups too. With the STR-Tweed with the hot switch off and using the high input I could get it to breakup very easily by hitting it a bit hard at 10 o'clock. Anything more was just full on crunch. With the STR-Tremolo it has to be at noon to get even a bit of breakup hitting it hard and 3 o'clock to really cook. Maybe my experience is unique but that's what it has been.

dividedsky, thanks for the updates!

Can you, or anyone else, compare the STR-Trem to either a Blackface Princeton Reverb, or a Brownface Princeton? Close relatives, or distant cousins?

I've owned 3 PRs at this point but no brownface amps. With the STR-Tremolo EQ in the down position you can get some BF tones for sure. The reverb and tremolo definitely help with this too but I can say I still wouldn't confuse the two amps. If you really want a PR or a Swart I'd say get one or the other. If you want the Swart but would like to cop some of the PR flavor from time to time I think this amp will do it.