PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever install a *LSR roller nut?

Dev...in
10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
How did it go? Im using this on a beat parts guitar and Thought i would try it myself. Any advice? Thanks.

nateclark
10-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Here's how I do that:

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/lsr-roller-nut-installation/

walterw
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
nice, but that demonstrates just how intensive the install is.

the LSR is a big improvement over the fender wilkinsons that it is sold to directly replace, but i don't know that it's really worth chopping up a guitar neck to put one in from scratch.

a properly done regular nut of the right material will stay in tune just fine, and will go in without the surgery.

Dev...in
10-06-2011, 07:01 AM
My guitar neck is already chopped. Im worried i may not have enough material behind beggining of the nut slot to make it work. This is my best idea for a fix. Be warned the picture you are about to see is graphic in nature. I did not do this!

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/Robertson_photo/partsneck1.jpg

nateclark
10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Walter makes a good point. About a year and a half ago I gave my tele an overhaul, including making a new bone nut. I also replaced the saddles. That guitar stays in tune really well, even though I do lots of faux-peddle steel licks (including behind the nut bends). I suppose that without the string tree on the 1st and 2nd strings there would be even less friction. But as it is I'm happy with the tuning stability.

I know they're a little more time consuming to maintain, but the trem systems with a locking nut such as a Flyod Rose really do work great for folks who do some serious whammy bar work.

Mike9
10-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Was/is that a Floyd shelf? If so the ABM Ebanol retrofit nut that Allparts sells might work for you depending on the width - looks like they come 1-5/8" and 1-11/16" wide.

http://www.allparts.com/ABM-Ebanol-Nut-for-Floyd-Rose-p/BN-0624-023.htm

Dev...in
10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Was/is that a Floyd shelf? If so the ABM Ebanol retrofit nut that Allparts sells might work for you depending on the width - looks like they come 1-5/8" and 1-11/16" wide.

http://www.allparts.com/ABM-Ebanol-Nut-for-Floyd-Rose-p/BN-0624-023.htm

Oh wow...! that looks good. Probably what i should have in the first place. I already have the FSR now however, so im going to try that first. thx for the link.

Nate: I agree completely but in this case I have to try something different. The regular nut that was glued on had no support or stability bc of the wide floyd-style route.

walterw
10-06-2011, 12:52 PM
The thing is, you still have to saw out the front of the slot!

The ball bearings on the LSR have to sit exactly where the front edge of the wood is now.

It's still gonna be a lot more work than just cleaning up the existing shelf and installing a normal nut.

Dev...in
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Hmmmm ok. I'm actually happy you bring this to my attention because I was worried there was too much wood removed already.

GuitslingerTim
10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
The screw holes for the LSR need to be drilled with a drill press; just a fraction of an inch off can throw off the string spacing substantially.

nateclark
10-06-2011, 08:55 PM
You can use a regular hand held drill. Once you've prepped the nut seat, hold the lsr in place and use the holes in the nut to start your pilot holes. If you wanted, you could use the nut as a drill guide all the way to the final depth. Just be sure to mark your depth with a piece of tape so you don't drill through the neck!

Dev...in
10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the knowledge guys. Il keep everyone posted on my tragedy or triumph.

Walter: when you say "Exactly" does that mean it will affect intonation or action negatively? if i was off by some amount but still level and perpendicular couldnt i make up for it at the bridge?

nateclark
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Make sure the leading edge of the nut seat is exactly the correct distance from the 1st fret or else you'll never get it intonated correctly.

Eagle1
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Make sure the leading edge of the nut seat is exactly the correct distance from the 1st fret or else you'll never get it intonated correctly.

You mean the center of the balls that the string sits on.

Dev...in
10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Anybody know off-hand what that perfect distance should be? It may be in the instructions but i cant check right now.

walterw
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
look at nate's tutorial again; see where he saws off the front edge of the nut slot, so it's now closer to the first fret than it was before?

you have to do that, and it has to be such that the centers of the ball bearings are sitting exactly where the old front edge used to be, or your intonation will be wrecked.

Dev...in
10-08-2011, 03:33 PM
It's in and doing great! Thanks for the tutorial and everyones good advice!

blanche
10-18-2011, 10:47 PM
measure the distance from the center of the LSR balls to the edge of the LSR nut that is towards the body of the guitar. that's the amount of wood you have to mill off the end of the neck. If you mill a little extra, you've made a Buzz Feiten neck LOL!

Stew-Mac used to make a nice jig for milling a Floyd Rose nut shelf that worked well for this process also...I think they've discontinued it though (like a number of their good products).

smithguitars
10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
So what is the distance from the center of the ball bearings to the front edge of the LSR nut? Do you measure from the back (neck side) edge of the first fret, or do you measure the fret width and subtract half the width from the measurement? From nut edge to fret slot #1 (with no fret installed) is 1.431" for a strat 25.5" scale neck.

So, check my math/logic here: it should by 1.431" minus (1/2 fret width + distance from the baring center to nut edge)=X". Making the Nut slot at X" from the back edge of the first fret.

Dev...in
10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I will double check but it seems that the previous owner may have removed the correct amound of material, so most of the work was already done for me. I was worried there wouldnt be ebough.

blanche
10-21-2011, 03:30 PM
you need to remove .094"

Dev...in
10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
As best I can see 1" 15/32 from beginning of the first fret to the center of the ball bearings.... Il take a pic for you guys.