PDA

View Full Version : WTB Paulownia wood body

flavorengine
10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
In particular, S style with trem route.

I see them on guitarfetish. $60 shipped seems crazy cheap.

The other ones I found are at Guitarmill for $200. Seems kinda high.

Anybody know if the body on a paulownia Dean Vendetta fits standard s style necks? You can buy the whole guitar for $100.

Anybody have any other sources or opinions?

Or have one for sale?

RnB
10-11-2011, 01:51 PM
If your not into being 100% accurate, the Strat bodies from GFS are a bargain at $49. They sound great...! Very light, resonant wood & the one I have sounds great w/ a set of Area T's installed. However, the bodies are not cut exactly like a Strat body should be. The contours & edge radii are off & the routs can be a little sketchy.

It's not just a simple...bolt the neck on & start playing. There's a considerable amt of 'fitting' that needs to be done prior to actually getting them ready to play good. All that work, makes the $200 price tag for a Guitar Mill Paulownia Body more appealing but, don't forget to factor in the cost of painting it.

Things I had to deal with:
Relocate the neck mounting screw holes
Make trem mounting screw holes stronger w/ dowels
Deal w/ the neck pocket being an 1/8" deeper than Spec depth
Rear Trem cavity cover barely made covering the rout

Glendale has painted Paulownia Tele Bodies for sale for a cool $850. Heat-up that checkbook...lol

willc68
10-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I got a Tele body from GFS for less than 30 bucks that was a second and it is my best sounding parts guitar that I built.
Very surprised with the tone considering how light this thing is. Great deal IMO.

Ron Kirn
10-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Paulownia is very soft.... I would not mount a tremolo in a Strat body without reinforcing the tremolo mount area....I rout from the back leaving 1/8th of the top undisturbed, then insert a hardwood to "catch" the studs or screws...

Here is one done in white pine with a similar reinforcement....
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n102/Ronkirn/old/DSC_3527.jpg

ron Kirn

flavorengine
10-12-2011, 08:07 AM
love the body carve on that piney

thanks for the tip