PDA

View Full Version : Best speakers for a Super Reverb

mp815
10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
who has tried different speakers in their Super Reverb?
what were your Favorites.
Also do you prefer alnico or ceramic???

GuitarSmitty
10-11-2011, 07:27 PM
What are your tone goals? I am using a Weber Michigan 15" ceramic speaker with a multi-tap output transformer to get the needed 8 Ohms. It definitely does more than SRV-style Texas tone, and it cuts a lot of weight from the 4x10 setup. I also run a 4x10 with Weber CTC10s and EVM-10Ms.

That said, you have a lot of good answers out there, both AlNiCo and ceramic -- Weber (CTA10), WGS (G15C, G12C), and EV (12L, 15L) speakers have sounded good with my Super Reverb. I tend to lean toward the ceramics for tighter bass and more headroom, but that's just my ears weighing in.

What are your priorities?

mp815
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I would like to stay with the 4x10 platform.
I am not looking for alot of headroom.
I would like the sweet spot to come sooner at a lesser volume.

Demo
10-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Weren't the originals a mixture of two ceramics and two alnicos as Concerts were?

GuitarSmitty
10-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I would like to stay with the 4x10 platform.
I am not looking for alot of headroom.
I would like the sweet spot to come sooner at a lesser volume.

Sounds like AlNiCo might work better for you -- the Weber CTA10 (20Watts) and CVC10 (10 watts) can do all of those things for you. I have tried the CTA10s in my Super Reverb and they sounded beautiful. If you like the speakers you have, you might also like the Weber MASS attenuator with the appropriate 2Ohm load setting.

I am not a Weber employee ;-)

karmadave
10-11-2011, 08:41 PM
CTS Alnico's

zenas
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
What do you have in it now? Knowing the starting point may help.

Guitar Dave T
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Weren't the originals a mixture of two ceramics and two alnicos as Concerts were?

No. Were 4x10 Concerts that way really? I'd be surprised since Fender never really put that much thought into speakers. They just used whatever they could get cheap.

Guitar Dave T
10-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Sounds like AlNiCo might work better for you -- the Weber CTA10 (20Watts) and CVC10 (10 watts) can do all of those things for you. I have tried the CTA10s in my Super Reverb and they sounded beautiful. If you like the speakers you have, you might also like the Weber MASS attenuator with the appropriate 2Ohm load setting.

I am not a Weber employee ;-)

I was right there with you until you mentioned the attenuator. The Super Reverb is a loud amp by today's standards. It's been my experience that attenuators drastically alter tone when you try to get more than a mild attenuation out of them.

And yes, I've tried the Weber MASS - a nice one, especially for blackface Fenders, but for the amount of attenuation needed to tame a Super down to present restuarant/bar levels, not to mention living room volumes, you'd lose a LOT of that Super's original output overdrive tone. A mildly set JRC4558 chipped Tube Screamer would get you closer to the original sound of that amp cranked at lower volumes.

55hz
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I love my X pattern, Alnico Gold/Scumnicos.

GuitarSmitty
10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I was right there with you until you mentioned the attenuator. The Super Reverb is a loud amp by today's standards. It's been my experience that attenuators drastically alter tone when you try to get more than a mild attenuation out of them.

And yes, I've tried the Weber MASS - a nice one, especially for blackface Fenders, but for the amount of attenuation needed to tame a Super down to present restuarant/bar levels, not to mention living room volumes, you'd lose a LOT of that Super's original output overdrive tone. A mildly set JRC4558 chipped Tube Screamer would get you closer to the original sound of that amp cranked at lower volumes.

That's why I said "might"...because I haven't actually used any attenuators; if I were to try one, Weber has always had a great return policy. It's a tough call beyond the speakers; pretty much anything else gets away from that great power tube distortion, relying more on preamp tubes and chips like that JRC4558 for gain (I agree with you and do use both). The El'Mo pedal also does a pretty good job of a cranked Fender sound at lower volume levels.

Guitar Dave T
10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I've had 5 60's blackface Super Reverbs over about 30+ years, and my favorite speakers have been:

Original Jensen P10R's from a '59 Bassman - Talk about holy grail tone. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Early 90's, First Gen Mojo copies of Jensen P10R's - VERY close to the originals in tone.

'66 CTS Ceramics - Absolutely KILLER, beefy speakers for both single coils and humbuckers

'67 CTS Alnicos - KILLER for humbuckers, but a little on the bright side for single coils. Adjusting the amp's bias helped compensate for this, but made the speakers less desirable for humbuckers.

Early 90's Eminence Alnico "blue baskets" - I tried a set of these in a silverface Super. These speakers had a terrible reputation in the early 90's '59 Bassman reissues - but after a lengthy breakin, they sounded incredibly warm and woody. My current favorites for Bassman reissues. Maybe the Jensen P10R reissues will sound this good in a few more years...

The absolutely worst sounding speakers I ever had were a set of '64 CTS ceramics (swiss cheese baskets).

For what you're trying to get, a sweet tone that breaks up a little early, I'd highly recommend a good Jensen P10R style speaker. I hear good things about Webers, and still here good things about Mojos. I've even heard a set of well used Jensen reissues sound good (in a '59 Bassman reissue).

Keep your originals boxed up for safe keeping if they are originals or at least period correct originals.

grantster
10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a 1966 Super Reverb with JBL's. It is a great sounding setup but OMG it weighs a ton. I think they came out of a 68 super.

Wesman61
10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Early 90's, First Gen Mojo copies of Jensen P10R's - VERY close to the originals in tone.
Very underrated speakers. I had a pair in a Peavey Delta Blues that were really nice. Great clarity and snap yet warm. Also if you can find old Kendrick Black frame 10"s those are very nice also.

vibrostrat43
10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
How early do you want it to break up? The Weber DT series speakers are an American style speaker designed to be really inefficient and allow you to turn the amp up higher without as much volume. Just a suggestion.

zenas
10-12-2011, 08:35 AM
How early do you want it to break up? The Weber DT series speakers are an American style speaker designed to be really inefficient and allow you to turn the amp up higher without as much volume. Just a suggestion.

Anybody try these speakers yet? Just seems like a good idea to me.

GearHeadFred
10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I've tried many 10's with my BFSR head.. A few of the notables:

4 x Weber CTC10s: Good tone, but late breakup. Loud and clean.

4 x THD "ebay blowout 10's": Liked the tone, similar to CTS Alnicos, but one developed a cone rub after a few months.

My favorite so far (and what I'm using today) is 2 Emi 1058 legends on the bottom, and 2 Emi blue-frame alnicos on the top. Very nice, balanced tone with moderately early breakup (mostly from the Alnicos).

weshunter
10-12-2011, 09:43 AM
i wonder if these same recs would hold true with an Omega modded 410 deville?

mp815
10-12-2011, 10:17 AM
has anyone tried the eminence copperhead?

guitarcapo
10-12-2011, 10:29 AM
For lower wattage and smaller speakers I like alnico. Brings out the bass and tames the high end in a 10". It seems to me that if the amp is 15 watts or less I like alnico...but by the time you get into "Deluxe" territory I like a Jensen C12N more.

otaypanky
10-12-2011, 10:43 AM
In my '67 I had some ceramic Eminence for many years, they sounded ok. Then I had some THD ceramics voiced to sound like alnico, they were good. But ever since I found 4 blue frame alnicos I have been lovin' that amp like never before.

HughesP
10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
I've got a 2x10" cab that I've run a super reverb-esque amp that I built into that was loaded with 1 eminence copperhead and 1 rajin cajun. Those two speakers together sound fantastic and I would imagine a 4x10" with 2 of each would be unbelievably great sounding.

Eminence legends also sounds really great and are cheap.

Of course, louding a super with eminence speakers will also give you are pretty loud amp because they are really efficient.

Derek trucks gets AMAZING tones out of his super reverb and supposedly used pyle speakers. Weber has their DT10 speakers which are supposed to be similar. Lower breakup, not nearly as efficient as the eminence speakers...

It all depends on your tone goals, as others have said.

weshunter
10-12-2011, 11:11 AM
this might be the ticket right here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-barking-blues-10-speaker-tone-kit/582679000000000

weshunter
10-12-2011, 11:12 AM
or maybe this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-crankin-country-10-speaker-tone-kit/582680000000000

neville5000
10-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I've got Weber 10A150s on top and EVM 10Ms on the bottom of my '69. I had some Emi built Mojo's (Copperheads I think), the THD blowout 10's, and the Webers in various configurations. The 10Ms coupled with the Webers is my favorite by a mile.

Troy T. Blues
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I had the P10R RI speakers in my '66 Super for about eleven years...Saw many gigs and well broken. I never completely bonded with them, but they did the job.

Anyways....I recently aquired '68 CTS Alnico's. I put two of them on the top and on the bottom I kept these Eminence Ceramic V1030's. I don't know much about them, but the mix sounds really good. I'm keeping the other two CTS's as backup or I may eventually install them too. The Emi's were in a Music Man amp that I bought a while back. Wrong speakers for that amp!! 30W speakers in a 65/130W amp...yikes! They are fine though and obviously they weren't pushed too hard.

I'm very happy to finally have CTS's in there and they sound absolutely spectacular!!!

Morgan24
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
CTS Alnico !!!! Tried a bunch !!!

pfflam
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
CTS Alnico'sLike the man said: CTS Alnico

the original and still the best
and not too heavy

weshunter
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
where can you get CTS alnico speakers?

Morgan24
10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Ebay!! I think the good reconed once are the best. When the CTS Alnico gets old they start to fart in the bass... LOL

stratzrus
10-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I was right there with you until you mentioned the attenuator. The Super Reverb is a loud amp by today's standards. It's been my experience that attenuators drastically alter tone when you try to get more than a mild attenuation out of them.That was true until the latest generation of state of the art attenuators. The Faustine Phantom in particular had been review by pro players as being virtually transparent until you get into extreme attenuation.

When the CTS Alnico gets old they start to fart in the bass... LOL:agree

By a wide margin the best speakers for playing out at concert volume are EVM 10Ls (or 10Ms) but they render the amp heavy as hell and only three will fit. I bought a Fane AXA 10 to put in the one position where the EVM would be blocked by a transformer.

The EVMs have a solid and tight bass that none of the other usual suspects have at volume and the highs stay clear and distinct. The mids are not as complex as some other speakers, but none of the rest of them sound nearly as good once the volume goes past 6.

With the EVMs the Super Reverb sounds like a half stack....absolutely killer!

CpycdP3ijgk

iJh_X_bkSzI

sideman
10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I messed around with two BFSRs alot a few years ago. Tried alot of speakers in them, including Webers. Hands down favorite was the CTS AlNiCos that came stock in alot of SRs. You see alot of the CTS Ceramics too, particularly in the earlier models. But the CTS AlNiCos are the bomb.

FFTT
10-13-2011, 08:26 AM
I spent 3 years standing next to a BF Super at full band volume.

If you want earlier breakup and lower volumes, you are absolutely
describing the original CTS 10" AlNiCos

You should expect roughly a 30%+ volume drop
compared to modern higher efficiency drivers.

I think Weber offers vintage CTS style clones, but I haven't followed
up much on them.

Personally, I'd go for at least a pair of AXA10's
blended with either EVM10M or vintage CTS

mp815
12-12-2011, 08:51 PM
anyone tried the eminence rajun cajuns and the copperheads

Quantum Cat
12-13-2011, 09:12 AM
THD Vintage 10's. If you can find some, they're discontinued.

mp815
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
anyone tried Celestion Golds and what did you pair them with?

mp815
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
^^^^

FFTT
05-26-2012, 12:00 PM
If you're trying to cut volume and get early breakup,
you should be looking at speakers in the 94-96 dB SPL range.

A 98-103 high efficiency driver will be considerably louder.

The problem with finding vintage CTS is that at 40 years old,
they can be fragile and go without warning even at reasonable volumes.

Were they kept damp or dry? Hot cold, you'll never know.

EVM10M's and Celestion Golds are usually a safe purchase,
because you'll find use for them and they have fairly easy resale.

If you're thinking chewey elastic top end, the Weber AlNiCos
or Tone Tubby Hemp cones are better for that kind of top end.

Guitar Dave T
05-28-2012, 10:32 PM
The problem with finding vintage CTS is that at 40 years old,
they can be fragile and go without warning even at reasonable volumes.

If you can find some 40 year old CTS's that are either already gone or already reconed, those are the best value for players vs. collectors.

In Dallas, we have one of the best, most reasonable reconing outfits in the country, Freeman Tuell Speaker Repair. This is all they do, and all they've done for 40+ years, and their customer base has included Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck and Chet Atkins. I've been taking speakers to them since 1976, when I blew my first Super Reverb CTS speaker (actually blew two).

Definitely worth shipping an old, tired set too if you want them to sound 100% accurate when you get 'em back.

FFTT
05-29-2012, 06:31 AM
If you can find some 40 year old CTS's that are either already gone or already reconed, those are the best value for players vs. collectors.

In Dallas, we have one of the best, most reasonable reconing outfits in the country, Freeman Tuell Speaker Repair. This is all they do, and all they've done for 40+ years, and their customer base has included Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck and Chet Atkins. I've been taking speakers to them since 1976, when I blew my first Super Reverb CTS speaker (actually blew two).

Definitely worth shipping an old, tired set too if you want them to sound 100% accurate when you get 'em back.

For restoration and keeping OEM period correct , I can see
the value in a recone, but keep in mind, it cost me $85.00 plus
round trip shipping to have Weber re-cone my '64 CTS 15 watt ceramic.
On my request they beefed up the voice coil to handle 30 watts.

Zounds Perspex
05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
I have Webers in my Super clone - 10A125s on top and 10F150s on bottom.
That's the combo that Ted Weber usually suggested, and it sounds killer.

zzmoore
05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
2 x 10A125
2 x 10F150

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n143/zzmoore/SuperRev2001.jpg

mp815
11-22-2012, 03:58 PM
anyone tried the Celestion G10N-40?

crazyneddie
11-22-2012, 09:01 PM
CTS Alnicos in my 68 Super. I agree they break up nicely and are not very efficient so they are not very loud. That amp turned up to about 7-8 has OD as sweet as honey.

mountain blues
11-22-2012, 09:04 PM

Same setup in my Super clone awesome setup.

Miles
11-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Eminence Ramrods really give mids in a SR a necessary boost and let the super reverb take heavier OD a LOT better.

mp815
01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
anyone tried Celestion G10 greenbacks or the Celestion g10N-40's?

GAT
01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
I put Greenbacks in my Vibrolux Reverb and I absolutely love the tone.

DeaconBlues
01-01-2013, 06:11 PM
I replaced the blown/dry rotted CTS AlNiCo's in a customer's SFSR recently with Eminence Legend 1028's. Sounded fantastic!

The customer gave me the old CTS speakers.

mxvin
01-01-2013, 09:35 PM
I replaced the blown/dry rotted CTS AlNiCo's in a customer's SFSR recently with Eminence Legend 1028's. Sounded fantastic!

The customer gave me the old CTS speakers.
cool....Weber recone.....
great stuff.....

gigs
01-01-2013, 09:39 PM

YES. Have a 4x10 cab with those. Sounds great.

OminousPoultry
01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
EVM10M's and Celestion Golds are usually a safe purchase,
because you'll find use for them and they have fairly easy resale.

If you're thinking chewey elastic top end, the Weber AlNiCos
or Tone Tubby Hemp cones are better for that kind of top end.

Sold the CTS out of my 68 (and got a decent price)
Now got 2 ceramic tone tubby and 2 alnico tone tubbiness in an x pattern. Tubby by name - tubbiness indeed it weighs a ton. Sounds like the elephant in the corner though

Tele Wacker
01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
CTS Alnico's

I also agree with the above.