PDA

View Full Version : Best Vibe Pedal?

Pages : [1] 2 3

drjenkins
08-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Alright folks,

Need some info on vibe pedals. Looked at the Rotovibe, and liked it. I just dont have a whole lot of pedal knowledge, and dont know what all is out there, so I defer to you guys. What would be a good vibe pedal to have? Lets see the suggestions!!!

fuzzyguitars
08-16-2005, 06:14 PM
I too have been looking for a vibe pedal.

Choices are:

Dunlop uni vibe
Voodoo Labs vibe
Fulltone mini dejavibe
Prescription electronics Vibe
KR megavibe
Foxroxx CC Provibe
Lovetone vibe
Sweetsound mojovibe and ultravibe and mofoaux vibe
Roger Mayer voodoo vibe and voodoo jr.
BJF Vibe

I don't know all the real namesof the vibes listed above.. but you get the picture.

There are a couple of others that are I may have forgot to mention.

The lovetone vibe sells for 125 bucks new and sounds great. Doesnt have led, ac or much adjustability but for a one trick pony those clips on their site sound awesome.

I think that a used voodoo labe vibe is also a bargain winner.

I hear that the KR Megavibe is pretty awesome too but it runs on 12v so I passed on that. A plus for it allows for expression pedal.

I passed on the dejavibe because people have told me that it is not as "thick" as some of the other vibes. I also think that it does not allow for expression pedals.

the mayer stuff looks cool but is really expensive at over 400 bucks!

I didnt see a lot of recent stuff on the prescription electronics one. The write ups I saw were mostly old reviews. now these list for 399. Cheapest I saw on the net was for 279.00. I know that the early ones had sweetsound pc boards identical to sweetsound uni vibes!

Playes the dunlop stuff and thought it was allright,,, didnt knock my socks off.

Sweetsound is coming out with a cheaper vibe. I think it will be called the mofaux or something like that. I think it is pretty similiar to the lovetone vibe except that it will have ac power.

Oh yeah, before I forget. Which vibe did I end up getting?
I am going to go ahead and get the sweetsound mojo vibe.
My reasons?

Clips sound awesome and , "Right there."
runs off 9v so I can use my voodoo labs PP2 or Juicebox
is able to use expression pedal if I so choose.'
small footprint.
seems to be liked a little more by the "Jimi/Trower vibe purists" than the other vibes.

I ended just buying one today from Soul Cactus Sound for 250 plus shipping. I found this out on Gbase mall. Otherwise most places sell em for 269 plus shipping.

cheers

fuzzy

drjenkins
08-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Wow...thanks for all that!!!:dude Good info for sure. Im off to check out the suggestions!

Thanks again
Dave

slowburn
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
I just bought a lovepedal MAGICboy vibe. "inspiration in a little black box" if I can quote a fellow GP'er... I have no other experience with any sort of vibes AT ALL, and I have no plans to experience any other either, take that for what it's worth. a used microvibe would be the best value for sure, but if you're strictly looking at new, the MAGICboy is hard to beat for the money, if the lack of LED or AC tap doesn't bother you. if it does, then a new voodoolab or a new sweetsound mofaux vibe both go around $150 so I hear...

guitaradoptions
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
MOJO VIBE!

dinrodef
08-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Vibe is one of my favorite effects. I've tried a lot in the past few years and own a sweet sound ultra-vibe and moogerfooger phaser with great results.

But recently I got turned on to the Eddie Van Halen Phase 90. That little box really kicks butt for emulating a vibe and I actually like it better than the sweet sound now.... Of course the EVH phase cannot be used with a foot controller... but the dial on the pedal is pretty easy to move with your foot if that's your thing

Give it a try before you pluck down hundreds of dollars on a "boutique" vibe pedal. You might be pleasantly surprised. Every once in awhile a great sounding mass produced pedal comes along and the price is definately reasonable

drjenkins
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by dinrodef

Give it a try before you pluck down hundreds of dollars on a "boutique" vibe pedal. You might be pleasantly surprised. Every once in awhile a great sounding mass produced pedal comes along and the price is definately reasonable Exactly what I want to avoid. I dont want to buy "pedal X" and find out a mass-produced pedal does the same job or better. May not be the case, but I want to exhaust all the options.

fuzzyguitars
08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Vibe is one of my favorite effects. I've tried a lot in the past few years and own a sweet sound ultra-vibe and moogerfooger phaser with great results.

But recently I got turned on to the Eddie Van Halen Phase 90. That little box really kicks butt for emulating a vibe and I actually like it better than the sweet sound now.... Of course the EVH phase cannot be used with a foot controller... but the dial on the pedal is pretty easy to move with your foot if that's your thing

Give it a try before you pluck down hundreds of dollars on a "boutique" vibe pedal. You might be pleasantly surprised. Every once in awhile a great sounding mass produced pedal comes along and the price is definately reasonable

i have an evh phaser as well..

i didnt think that it sounded much like a vibe at all. although i will admit that vibes do have some phase to them!

what are you is the rig and signal path and settings please and i will give it another shot!

I am always willing to save some dollars, especially since i already own the EVH!

ABKB
08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
To add to this, Boss is coming out with one of the dual pedal vibe pedals
http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM05/Content/Boss/PR/RT-20-rotary.html
Will probably be about 200, but you can get the expression pedal with it and it will have multiple settings. Since it's Boss it probably will not be true bypass, but the clips sound pretty cool. I will be looking at this thing when it does come out, which should be soon if not already.

slowburn
08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I've never heard the EVH MXR Phaser, but if this is it:

http://www.suncreekmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=596

at $130 it's the same price as the Lovepedal vibe. (for the guy that doesn't already have it). if I had to choose, I'd go with the lovepedal since it's actually going for the vibey sound whereas the mxr phase 90 is not geared towards vibey sounds or they would have named it the EVH MXR Vibe 90... but that's just my opinion...

Mastervolume
08-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I have owned the

Mojo 2x
Deja vibe - white and gold
Mini Deja
Deja2
Dunlop (all 3 versions)
Lovepedal
and now own a Prescription

It is as big as a house and needs 12v AC (but then so does my retro-sonic chorus so they can share) but it has THE tone. Doesn't seem to screw up my signal like the mini deja and the mojo.

I am moving stuff off and around to make a permant (that means three weeks or longer:rolleyes: ) place on my board

dinrodef
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by fuzzyguitars
i have an evh phaser as well..

i didnt think that it sounded much like a vibe at all. although i will admit that vibes do have some phase to them!

what are you is the rig and signal path and settings please and i will give it another shot!

I am always willing to save some dollars, especially since i already own the EVH!

Sure - everybody has a different rig and will come up with different results. But I like to run my EVH phase in the effects loop of my amp with just a little bit of dirt dialed in and the phaser knob set at about 1:30 or 2:30 for a fast throb and about 10:30 for a slower phase. Since there is the script switch you can make the effect really subtle or thick and overpowering with the push of a button.

I also use a multi-channel amp. IF I were using a single channel class A then I might prefer the transparency of the more expensive boutique pedals.

BmoreTele
08-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I have played the following vibes / almost vibes -

Sweetsound Ultra
Sweetsound Mojo
Foxrox Captain Coconut 2
Dubtronics Vibe
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe *
Lovepedal Vibe
Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser *
Rastop Phaser/Vibrato
H&K Rotosphere
Option 5 Destination Rotation
Adrenalinn *
and a buncha phasers *

* stuff I still have.

My main vibe is the Voodoo Vibe. It gives me a little more cut than the other vibes. Plus excellent tremolo and a cool vibrato too.

I probably would have kept the Lovepedal if it had a power jack.

The Mojo I played had some grounding issues, but I got it at the end of a tour box. It did sound great. That's why I'm keeping my ears open for the release of the MoFaux from Bob Sweet.

The Red Witch can get some very cool throbbing sounds, but it is on the subtle side. My VV can do subtle and wild.

Keep your eyes open. I got mine off the HC Classifieds for about $200.

Anje
08-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I really dig my Sweetsound Ultravibe
has that great Hendrix Vibe for sure, ads a little "fat" and warmth to your sound in the most pleasant way, I've stopped my search for a good vibe with it.

the only downside I see is it's a little big on the pedalboard, but otherwise sounds just great!

I would just be curious to A/B it with a Mojo, some say the Mojo is not as fat/warm, but Bob says they sound about the same to him and that he may even prefer the Mojo ("a little
clearer but thicker at the same time")... go figure, "taste and colors" :)

about the Phase90 thing, I have a couple old block logos that I wouldn't sell for anything (well never say never, but that would definitively be the pedals selling last)
that's true they can sound close to the vibe, but I consider them as a different effect on their own, have both on the board :)

fuzzyguitars
08-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BmoreTele
I have played the following vibes / almost vibes -

Sweetsound Ultra
Sweetsound Mojo
Foxrox Captain Coconut 2
Dubtronics Vibe
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe *
Lovepedal Vibe
Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser *
Rastop Phaser/Vibrato
H&K Rotosphere
Option 5 Destination Rotation
Adrenalinn *
and a buncha phasers *

* stuff I still have.

My main vibe is the Voodoo Vibe. It gives me a little more cut than the other vibes. Plus excellent tremolo and a cool vibrato too.

i think that I would own a voodoo vibe if I could pic one up for about 2 bills as well!

I probably would have kept the Lovepedal if it had a power jack.

The Mojo I played had some grounding issues, but I got it at the end of a tour box. It did sound great. That's why I'm keeping my ears open for the release of the MoFaux from Bob Sweet.

The Red Witch can get some very cool throbbing sounds, but it is on the subtle side. My VV can do subtle and wild.

Keep your eyes open. I got mine off the HC Classifieds for about $200.

fuzzyguitars
08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Sure - everybody has a different rig and will come up with different results. But I like to run my EVH phase in the effects loop of my amp with just a little bit of dirt dialed in and the phaser knob set at about 1:30 or 2:30 for a fast throb and about 10:30 for a slower phase. Since there is the script switch you can make the effect really subtle or thick and overpowering with the push of a button.

I also use a multi-channel amp. IF I were using a single channel class A then I might prefer the transparency of the more expensive boutique pedals.

well i tried your set up as described into a multi channel amp set up and i have to say that to me it sounds more like a phaser than vibe.

i think to get truly authentic "vibe " tones the pedal should be in before any overdrive or distortion.

Anje
08-16-2005, 09:47 PM
btw, the setup Phase90 -> Vibe can give great sound ;)

wolfpack
08-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Idlewilde
KR mini megavibe

+1

I think it's taking the ultravibes spot on my pedalboard

PlexiBreath
08-16-2005, 11:19 PM
I would want to differentiate vibes into two camps, Univibe clones and all others, both camps being equally valid.

For a Univibe clone the best I've ever heard, and way out in front of whoever is number 2 in my arrogant opinion, is Bob Sweet's UltraVibe, I own a UltraVibe so I can comment on it, I would imagine the MojoVibe is every bit as good but don't have experience with it.

Regarding other vibes, I'm really wanting to try the BJFE Mint Green Vibe, Bjorn's work is masterfull judging by my Little Green Wonder and Pale Green Compressor, I'd like to try this out as a pedal with a mild setting to give a slight and sneaky transparent movement to the amp tone.

fuzzyguitars
08-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by PlexiBreath
I would want to differentiate vibes into two camps, Univibe clones and all others, both camps being equally valid.

For a Univibe clone the best I've ever heard, and way out in front of whoever is number 2 in my arrogant opinion, is Bob Sweet's UltraVibe, I own a UltraVibe so I can comment on it, I would imagine the MojoVibe is every bit as good but don't have experience with it.

Regarding other vibes, I'm really wanting to try the BJFE Mint Green Vibe, Bjorn's work is masterfull judging by my Little Green Wonder and Pale Green Compressor, I'd like to try this out as a pedal with a mild setting to give a slight and sneaky transparent movement to the amp tone.

yeah i heard the clips on the musictoyz site and was pretty impressed too.

The bjf honeybee looks real interesting too!

guitaradoptions
08-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Here's full specs, good photos, and a sound clip played by Bob Sweet.
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/prodcat/customer/product.php?productid=18100&cat=&page=

Priestunes
08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
the Lovepedal Vibe was by far the coolest way for me to go, and here's why:
- Sean makes pedals from the heart... thus the company's name.
- It's a simple yet very vintage sounding effect.
- The knob is toe-friendly
- It's small.
- It's adjustable by a trim within; a very sensitive trim capable of altering the tones in a big, big way.

In terms of it sounding like a phaser, I have to pass on that analogy. I'm waiting on the first phaser from Retro-sonic and will post a review as soon as it arrives, but in the meantime I sound like Jimi faking the introduction to Spirit of Radio when using the vibe for that passage. The two pedals alter signal, but not in the same way. I'd go as far as to say that comparing vibes and phasers isn't too unlike comparing flanges and choruses. Each does what it does. Previously I'd tricked myself into thinking I was getting a rich, deep vibe effect out of my Phase 90, but that was before really investigating the world of vibes. There's something a bit more brutal in a vibe than the phaser: something more metalic and throbby. That's my layman's two cents, anyway. The Phase 90 is sold and will be replaced by the Retro-sonic phaser--true bypass, adjustable depth, and a couple of other tweaks.

:)

fuzzyguitars
08-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Pickhead
the Lovepedal Vibe was by far the coolest way for me to go, and here's why:
- Sean makes pedals from the heart... thus the company's name.
- It's a simple yet very vintage sounding effect.
- The knob is toe-friendly
- It's small.
- It's adjustable by a trim within; a very sensitive trim capable of altering the tones in a big, big way.

In terms of it sounding like a phaser, I have to pass on that analogy. I'm waiting on the first phaser from Retro-sonic and will post a review as soon as it arrives, but in the meantime I sound like Jimi faking the introduction to Spirit of Radio when using the vibe for that passage. The two pedals alter signal, but not in the same way. I'd go as far as to say that comparing vibes and phasers isn't too unlike comparing flanges and choruses. Each does what it does. Previously I'd tricked myself into thinking I was getting a rich, deep vibe effect out of my Phase 90, but that was before really investigating the world of vibes. There's something a bit more brutal in a vibe than the phaser: something more metalic and throbby. That's my layman's two cents, anyway. The Phase 90 is sold and will be replaced by the Retro-sonic phaser--true bypass, adjustable depth, and a couple of other tweaks.

+1

Optimus Prime
08-17-2005, 02:36 PM
You might like to take a look at this thread;

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70283&highlight=Vibe

BBHollowbody
08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
The Roger Mayer is the best I've heard. I've owned a Fulltone for years.

clapointe
08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
I have owned the following:
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop Univibe
Voodoo Lab Microvibe
PE Vibe- Unit
Sweet Mojo Vibe
Foxrox CC-1 Provibe

The Foxrox CC-1 Provibe is my favorite. Also Bob Sweet's Mojo Vibe is a great Vibe clone.

KennyM
08-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Anyone compare any of the mentioned vibes with a Black Cat Vibe?

Kenny M.

DonneR
08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Any sound has Frequency - Amplitude and Phase among other things ... kind of its XYZ coordinates

Frequency shifting/modulation in called Vibrato

There is Vibrato and there is Univibe .... both are sometimes called 'vibe'...

Real 'Vibrato' involves pitchshifting....

Amplitude modulation ( volume rise and fall) is called tremolo

Phase modulation ( or the relationship between TWO things) is called phasing - you have drop outs in the frequency spectrum as the phase changes..... so you get the flowing peaks and frequency valleys as the phase is changed ( same with two out of phase pickups)

a Univibe is a phase shifter variant in its 'chorus' setting and then has pitch shifting vibrato in the vibrato setting (duh)

The signature sound that most of us would say 'OH THATS a Vibe !!' is the wobbly phase shifter sound in the chorus setting of a vibe....

a Univibe is mostly a phase shifter with a touch of pitchbending for the 'wobble'

as a distortion device creates more harmonics , vibes are much more fun into a distortion device - and give a chewy vocal 'vibe' to a solo ---

:cool: :co

zoooombiex
08-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Anje
I would just be curious to A/B it with a Mojo, some say the Mojo is not as fat/warm, but Bob says they sound about the same to him and that he may even prefer the Mojo ("a little
clearer but thicker at the same time")... go figure, "taste and colors" :)

i have both and i'll opine that they sound similar, but not the same. bob's description of the difference is pretty on - the mojo is a bit clearer in that when playing clean there is less wash over the notes and better high end retention. but it is also a little chewier in the low-end wobble than the ultra.

i used to prefer the ultra, but now it's sort of a tie between different flavors. the ultra does a great swampy vibe sound and the mojo is very shimmery and clear (probably the clearest of any i've tried).

for reference, the vibes i've tried are:

cc2: very clear and very flexible, but it didn't strike me as being quite as chewy as others and i didn't use the other two pedals.
mayer: another clear & flexible vibe, and has an awesome tremolo and runs off 9v. this was the last to go before i went with the bob sweet vibes - equally good, just different flavors.
mjm: very thick and swampy - a little too dark for me.
mojo: very clear but chewy vibe. small, 9v.
ultra: swampier than the mojo, but still relatively clear.
rx: middle ground between the mojo & ultra, but very large. plays great with distortion.
lovepedal: the lovepedal clips are pretty accurate, but i wasn't taken with how it interacted with distortion.
3 different fulltones (gold, deja'2, custom mini): i couldn't really find much difference between any of the fulltone models, but they were all very nice. it sounds like the wobble is voiced a little higher than the bob sweet vibes and i happened to prefer the sweet voicing. these all have pretty good high end and cut through pretty well.
mega-vibe: very swampy (but not as much as the mjm) - the website clips are pretty accurate IMO.

also, the red witch moon can do a decent vibe on one of its settings. other than that, i think phasers sound very different than vibes, so i'd put them in a different category of comparisons.

DonneR
08-18-2005, 08:22 AM
YEah good point - one big difference is where the wobble is voiced or centered....

some have a jelly belly middle wobble...

and some are doin a booty dance :D

shallbe
08-18-2005, 08:54 AM
I have been through a lot of vibes.

One has never left. An early psychedelic painted PE Vibe unit I bought new from Everly Bros. years ago. Looks like Hendrix painted it and sounds incredible. Sweet, chewy, filled with goodies. Has been on my gig board for many years.

I also have a very good sounding white Fulltone Dejavibe I like a lot. It sounds very Trower-like. I've also found many vibes (esp. some Fulltones) to vary. Most do sound good, but some are great. I did not like the Deja 2 or the Dunlop offerings at all, though.

TheGrooveking
08-18-2005, 03:14 PM
I am sure most people around these parts have read my opinion on vibes, I say go with Sweet Sound and be done with it. Also the early swirl paint job Presciption Electronics had boards made by Bob Sweet of Sweet Sound Electronics, I have one and a few UltraVibes and love them all dearly.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/SweetSound.jpg

This is an older photo that only had a few Sweet Sounds in it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/PrescriptionElectronicsSweetSound.jpg

I have a few Voodoo Lab Micro Vibes, the Dunlop UniVibe, Dunlop Rotovibe, Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere, Korg G-4, Fulltone Deja Vibe, Fulltone DejaVibe 2, and I am sure a few others I am neglecting to list.

TheGrooveking

exodus
08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I love 'vibes as well. I've had the Sweetsound Ultra, Mojo, a deja, a dunlop univibe, a Foxrox Provibe, and a KR Megavibe.

They all have different shades of the same thing... for the most part and it really depends on what you want. The most vintage sounding vibes to me were the Sweetsound and KR vibes. Of those two I went with the KR as it doesn't have as much phase in the signal. The Mojo reminded me of the sound on "Who's that Lady" while the KR reminds me of the entire Hendrix Woodstock tone.

Beatles-1964
08-18-2005, 03:59 PM
I really liked the Lovepedal.

Small footprint coupled with huge sounds

Cheaper alternative.

All plusses in my book.

TheGrooveking
08-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Exodus, I agree, each has it's own personality. That's why I keep them all, in case I have a taste for thick and chewy or airy and light, you know what I mean. I am patiently awaiting the new MoFaux Vibe from Sweet Sound. I am going to get two off the bat and one of those swirl paint job Mojo Vibes. I am puting together another pedalboard, with the smallest, great sounding tone machines I can find. Hey Mr.Sweet.....................

TheGrooveking

Ebbramone
04-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I have no idea why no one has mentioned the Electronic Orange Moon Vibe, or my personal favorite, the DryBell Vibe Machine. The DryBell squeezed four specially made photocells, which are some of the best made, now that they are having them made specifically for them, and put them all inside a MXR sized case! It has an input for a 100k(preferred) speed pedal, and does Hendrix, Trower, Gilmour, and all those wonderful tones of the original '60s Univibe as well, if not better than any I've heard, and I hate adjusting pexals with my toes! Takes very little real estate on your board. Check out the DryBell Vibe Machine demo in YouTube! And while a bit bigger, the Electrinic Orange has that deep throb of the original as well, and is on par with the Drybell, and any vibe mentioned here. Very surprised by their omission!
KC

Stratobuc
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
For me, its the MJM Sixties Vibe.

HaloMaster
04-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Hey, if you get the chance, mojohand fx has a new vibe coming out called the villinova vibe and it looks sick! Im waiting patiently for it!!! There were some videos in you tube of it from the last namm show!!! Looks real sick!!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

ChampReverb
04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
I have no idea why no one has mentioned the Electronic Orange Moon Vibe, or my personal favorite, the DryBell Vibe Machine. The DryBell squeezed four specially made photocells, which are some of the best made, now that they are having them made specifically for them, and put them all inside a MXR sized case! It has an input for a 100k(preferred) speed pedal, and does Hendrix, Trower, Gilmour, and all those wonderful tones of the original '60s Univibe as well, if not better than any I've heard, and I hate adjusting pexals with my toes! Takes very little real estate on your board. Check out the DryBell Vibe Machine demo in YouTube! And while a bit bigger, the Electrinic Orange has that deep throb of the original as well, and is on par with the Drybell, and any vibe mentioned here. Very surprised by their omission!
KC

The post right before yours is from 2005.

How long has Drybell been in existence?

The Black Cat Vibe sounds pretty nice too.

-bEn r.

groovemeister
04-04-2013, 09:09 AM
after months of pondering whether or not to buy mjm,sweet sound, prescription electronics or jam pedals vibe clones (was never interested in or even considered the fulltone by the way:rotflmao) i just thought id wing it and pulled the trigger on the vibe baby from classic amps. there is only one crappy you tube demo of this pedal but i can hear something special in this vibe... we shall see - will report back in a month when it arrives

trower
04-04-2013, 09:26 AM
I am sure most people around these parts have read my opinion on vibes, I say go with Sweet Sound and be done with it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/TheGrooveking/SweetSound.jpg

TheGrooveking

This. The early Ultra's just have that swappy warmth and don't screw with your tone. If you want a clearer, smaller and updated version. Check out a Dry Bell.

Ebbramone
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
@ Champ Reverb, Doh, I didn't see the date, which predated the Dry Bell by, oh, about 4 years. Yes, I'm getting old and forgetful, but anyone who wants a great vibe that does almost everything a vibe can do perfectly, check out the Dry Bell Vibe Machine. I can't atand a vibe without a treadle, watch Jimi's foot on Star Spangled Banner-Woodstock! You'd break your toe doing that with a knob,Ha-ha! !!

KSDS
07-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Mojo Vibe. I tried a bunch and personally liked the MV best. Mine stays on.

Mindcrime
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Sweet Sound MoFaux Vibe
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe

It's all about simplicity ! :aok

sacakl
07-12-2013, 05:21 PM
The post right before yours is from 2005.

Wow, I think that's a record thread bump. 8 years! There've been thousands of threads on this topic in that time.

FWIW, I love the Castledine Supra Vibe with the pedal.

scolfax
07-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I've got my eyes on the DLS Versa Vibe:

v9R8hHkoLNM

amphead777
07-12-2013, 07:23 PM
The KR Mega Vibe, by far the best I've played/owned. There's been a lot too.

mc_deli
07-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Omg

helio
07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Black Cat Vibe beat all others for me!

Summerisle
07-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Castledine.

mc_deli
07-13-2013, 12:31 AM
OMFG

NedZ
07-13-2013, 04:03 AM
My favourite five :

Castledine Electronics
Jam Pedals
KR Electronics
Roger Mayer
Black Cat

Others sound great (Effectrode, MJM, Dry Bell, Retroman, FoxRox, Prescription, Sweetsound...) but the listed five are outstanding.

BPF55555
07-13-2013, 05:19 AM
The Dano Cool Cat Vibe sounds awesome for cheap money. I liked it more than the Fulltone Deja Vibe and Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe. Just has a more a bigger, more pronounced vibe effect than the others IMO.

tonegangster
07-13-2013, 05:58 AM
I'm really loving my Drybell. It works great with my current rig. Its small, very clear, and the low end doesn't wash out.

jawajt
07-13-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm really loving my Drybell. It works great with my current rig. Its small, very clear, and the low end doesn't wash out.

:agree

snouter
07-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Had the Effectrode Tube Vibe and Fulltone Stereo Mini DejáVibe.

Then got my FOXROX AquaVibe. Search over.

Only question is whether to get another AquaVibe for my bass pedalboard!

turtleboy3
07-14-2013, 02:12 AM
aquavibe! better than the mojo vibe i used to have, aqua has more throb and the the throb can be adjusted through the center knob. the center knob is where the magic is!

tinkercity
07-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Drybell is awesome. KR Mega Vibe is best hands down. I'm curious about the soon to be released Oxfuzz OxVibe. Ken's got a killer ear. It's supposed to work better with Fuzz Faces.

youandme
07-14-2013, 02:47 AM
After the fulltone,aquavibe and mojo vibe,I settled on the castledine supra vibe... Incredible sounding vibe...!!!! Ended the search for me... Love the sound and feel of it... Most vibes ruined the natural attack of my guitars sound and the castledine retains it... It's really good!

canuck
08-05-2013, 03:55 AM
Looking at:
Casteldine Supra Vibe
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe + (top contender)
KR Mega Vibe (worried about if something happens, where to repair)

Anything else to consider in this range?

The RM VV+ seems really awesome and love all the clips I've heard, plus good reviews.

mc_deli
08-05-2013, 04:02 AM
At the top end you should also consider the Effectrode Tube Vibe.

Between the Supra, Effectrode and the Voodoo Vibe + I don't think there is a bad decision there.

juanbono6030
08-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I have tried the KR Mega Vibe and the MJM Sixties vibe. I have settled on the JAM Pedal Vibe. They all sound fantastic. I liked the JAM pedal because it had the smallest footprint on my board and for me most importantly it can run off a 9v tap on my voodoo labs pp2+. The others needed more juice. From a power stand point it was easier on what I could do with it. You can't go wrong with any of the ones you have suggested.

roblovesolives
08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Drybell is awesome. KR Mega Vibe is best hands down. I'm curious about the soon to be released Oxfuzz OxVibe. Ken's got a killer ear. It's supposed to work better with Fuzz Faces.

Anyone tried the Oxvibe?

tinkercity
08-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Anyone tried the Oxvibe?

Not yet --- but hope to soon.

J.T.
08-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Absolutely Love my Drybell

roblovesolives
08-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Have a mojo vibe. Am toying with the idea of either Drybell or Oxvibe!

Thoughts?

Ta,

Rob

fuzzface71
08-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Mine is still the one that I have since 2000. It's the closest to the real thing. I would say 97% dead on!

mcaAEzDYon4

scolfax
08-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Anyone here try the Versa Vibe? 1:45

zBhNlp57V2I

BAN
08-10-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm pretty thrilled with the Mojo Hand Villanova I just got.

odin69
08-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Anyone here try the Versa Vibe? 1:45

zBhNlp57V2I

Yes, I have one. Great pedal. I tried a Fulltone, Mojovibe, and Dunlop Jimi Hendrix univibe at the same time with the DLS. It does Trower and Hendrix vibe sounds pretty well. The Dunlop and Fulltone didn't sound that great against the DLS and Mojovibe IMO. If you like a simple layout get the Mojovibe. If you like to have more range, get the DLS. Both sounded great but, not quite the same.

Braciola
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm a vibe freak.
I tried just about ever boutique vibe out there.

The winner for me...... fulltone mini deja vibe

louis
08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm a vibe freak.
I tried just about ever boutique vibe out there.

The winner for me...... fulltone mini deja vibe

Hi Braciola!

Did you know that the new MDV3 is even better than the MDV2.

Louis

NedZ
08-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah that MDV-3 sounds really nice on the clip I heard but do you have any info on what's new compared to the previous version (technically speaking)?

Rootzzound
08-10-2013, 04:29 PM
i also can recommend the MDV3... easy to use, an nice for using it in one tune for lead, rhythm guitar .... and price is also not so bad, an it loves fuzz :D

louis
08-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah that MDV-3 sounds really nice on the clip I heard but do you have any info on what's new compared to the previous version (technically speaking)?

Takin from Fulltone site,

NEW MDV-3
Real Estate is precious, especially on your pedalboard, but the lush organic sounds of a perfect "authentic vintage Univibe clone" are a necessity, and they are now attainable in a space now smaller than a standard wah wah pedal... the Mini-Deja'Vibe3, MDV-3 for short. With a Hammertone Blue powder coated finish, White lettering, and a Blue LED that throbs to the beat of the pedal's hypnotic, asymmetrical rhythm. The MDV-3 has a new heel or toe activated True-Bypass footswitch that is perfect for the person who rarely changes speeds and just wants to turn it on or off with his toe, but also perfect for the person who rides it like a Gas-pedal and wants to turn the pedal on/off with a simple flick of the heel (see the MDV-3 video at youtube.com/fulltoneeffects)

There are a LOT of pedals claiming to be "authentic vintage Univibe clones" on the market....all of the small ones are merely a glorified MXR phaser with a few changes. That's not a Univibe! So how is one to know which pedals are real and which ones are just a cheap shortcut circuit that will satisfy you only until you get a chance to play pedal like the Fulltone MDV & MDV-3, both of which sport a "100% real vintage circuit."

A real Univibe clone will have:

4 x glass covered/hermetically-sealed photocells and an incandescent bulb on the circuit board. I go one step further...and NO ONE else does this, I took many real 1960's 'cells and had them cloned for not only dark/bright resistance, but also cloned the all-important rise and fall times of the cells as they react to the light turning on and off. Nobody else even knows about this, let alone bothers with it. They just buy whatever off-the-shelf photocells they can get, oblivious to these specs. Yes, even those forum-worshipped wait-list builders.
Run at 18+ volts, ours has a unique voltage doubler circuit inside so you can power it with any standard 9VDC adapter.
Totally discrete electronics, i.e. NO OPAMPS in the audio path! I go even further by only using New Old Stock (N.O.S) Panasonic Matsushita 2SC828 transistors for all stages, and the same metal-can 2SC539 transistor as original Univibes had for the preamp... this really makes a difference in the sound! You think those are cheap or easy to find?
In typical Fulltone fashion, I also manufacture my own speed potentiometer... it's a dual pot with a gear on it like wah-wah pot, and with a special taper. (same as original Univibes) The only change made is I up'd the resistance to 200K to get you better slow speeds, and double screen the carbon composition track to last years beyond what the old ones lasted.

A lot of you weren't around through the 90's and 2000's so it's up to me to educate you because God-knows these typists on the forums only care about how much their early-version gold-horsie KLON appreciated over the last fiscal quarter.
The waters have become somewhat murky, with builders trying to re-write history; many putting out utter-crap, charging a premium, many taking payment-in-full up-front...and never delivering product (not very Zen-like, a Mega-bummer eh?) stealing people's money. sickening.

Now, it's worse, with some having crap Chinese companies like Joyo or Mooer make their pedals for $13 ea, importing them, marking them up to $250 (Freekish & Eddie K****) or taking a simple MXR-type phaser circuit, changing a few values and calling it a "something-VIBE" and laughing all the way to the bank.
I've been building "authentic vintage Univibe clones" longer than anyone, since 1993. Mine are used by Robin Trower, Peter Frampton, Doyle Bramhall II, and countless others... by the people who know great sound and won't settle for less.

I make TOOLS for people who actually play... not for people who type about playing.
Go to a dealer, plug in and listen for yourself, you'll walk out with Fulltone more often than not.

willatkinson
08-10-2013, 05:25 PM
What's this mysterious voltage doubler!? I'm glad someone FINALLY figured out that technology...

louis
08-10-2013, 05:39 PM
What's this mysterious voltage doubler!? I'm glad someone FINALLY figured out that technology...

Fumio Mieda could tell you more about it,
he is the inventor or the original Univibe.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/lola428/02_Mieda.jpg (http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/lola428/media/02_Mieda.jpg.html)

NedZ
08-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info though I've read that already and don't see how it tells what makes v3 different from previous versions (sound wise).

Plus, IIRC, there's already an article out there debunking Fuller's entire 'statement', point by point and it does so quite convincingly which is why I wondered if other modifications have been made to the circuit and/or components or their values since v2.

teleman55
08-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Hey, if I post on this thread, will it take me back to 2005 with knowledge of the future, and make me 8 years younger???
No?
Well then, back to reality...
My microvibe does it for me. Used it at a gig last night, will use it at one today (or would that be tomorrow?). Not doing the Hendrix/Trower/SRV thing, just doing my thing, but this has been on my board consistently for 3-4 years now. May only use on 4 or 5 songs, but it does the vibe thing nicely for me. It's got the photocells, lightbulb, etc. Only downside is...no expression pedal, but I'm OK with that.

brettmoor
08-11-2013, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info though I've read that already and don't see how it tells what makes v3 different from previous versions (sound wise).

Plus, IIRC, there's already an article out there debunking Fuller's entire 'statement', point by point and it does so quite convincingly which is why I wondered if other modifications have been made to the circuit and/or components or their values since v2.

would love to read that if someone can find a link

NedZ
08-11-2013, 02:22 AM
classicamplification.net/effects/FactOrFunk.htm

You'll also find general info about the Uni-Vibe on the same domain.

Rootzzound
08-11-2013, 03:02 AM
but the class. ampli. doesn´t say any thing about the new one or...? well i think ... try to play as much in a m-shop as possible, an dicid which one u like an which suits ur needs.... i can compare my MDV3 to the MXR Hendrix vibe an it´s 2different worlds in sound and use, but i like both... the MDV3 bit more cause its a sound I can use for alot of sounds, and it can be used with a lot of other pedals.... and i like the wah wah type to play with an to use in the fly different speeds .... for me anyway every one hears something different with the vibes ...

PS: not that the MXR Hendrix vibe is really comparable to it , but i have it since x-mas on my board, an it sounds is nice but more phaser like as a univibe clone ...

NedZ
08-11-2013, 02:02 PM
but the class. ampli. doesn´t say any thing about the new one or...?
No, not explicitly but on the MDV-3 page, at one point, the text involves the previous versions as well as the latest one so the whole story's unclear. That's why I asked if there's more info on the subject.

Rootzzound
08-11-2013, 02:56 PM
the only thing that i found now, :D does´t say much more, and it looks like its mr.F own comment, its a comment under the Prototype demo video of fulltone.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZ66bqlFt4

Quote: "I made a few little circuit changes or should I say I un-did a few that I have done over the years. These sound like my old aluminum box ones from 1994. This and the MDV (which now has the same changes) will never be changed again."

I know thats maybe no really helpful but thats only comment that i found saying something about the mysterious changes .....

i hope that sooner or later there will be a proper review of this awesome pedal, where we can see the differences on the new one .... I like mine an been happy to received one, after waiting 1months 9days of my order ;) but still nice for the playing dynamic just rocking it back and forth or leaving it an having the switch ...

PS: in the end every one say he having the most exact one .... all the same some more some less, in the end its up to the own taste pocked money and needs .... i mean i read here and other places some like more the sound of there chorus/phaser/flanger to use as a univibe ....

The Ratchet
08-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Aquavibe finally was the one for me. Easily went through 5 or 6 others (all the usual suspects) before finally getting my hands on this and realizing - THIS IS IT!!

For me anyways. YMMV. I think it's to each person to evaluate based on what he hears in his head as "that sound" vs. what is coming out of the amp, and specific to his/her gear, etc.

You just gotta go through em and try em. For me though, specific and unique to the Aquavibe, is the "Center" control. This really helps 'fine tune' the effect to a great extent and really just NAIL the tone with a variety of guitars/amps I have.

FoxRox you win.

Shiny_Beast
08-16-2013, 11:23 PM
after months of pondering whether or not to buy mjm,sweet sound, prescription electronics or jam pedals vibe clones (was never interested in or even considered the fulltone by the way:rotflmao) i just thought id wing it and pulled the trigger on the vibe baby from classic amps. there is only one crappy you tube demo of this pedal but i can hear something special in this vibe... we shall see - will report back in a month when it arrives

And?

I got the drop in version. I found it a little bright intill I changed the input impedance to vintage specs. I also had to make a small mod so I could pin the footpedal all the way to the slow side, it would get so slow the effect would disappear, maybe all vibes are like that?

Not surprisingly it's better than my microvibe at vintage sounds, and is a lot happier getting slammed with a fuzz pedal, although I usually have the vibe first anyhow. Being a fairly exact vibe clone, the VB did make me appreciate my MV though n hindsight. Ya, the MV isn't an exact vintage clone, and you can tell, but it's a great vibe and excels at that super slow mid rangy warble that's a monster psycadelic effect live. The vibe-baby is more open to my ears and more hifi. A better choice for covering machine-gun. It's very quiet to once I followed the DIY instructions properly. :)

albarn
08-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Fulltone gold deja vibe
MJM 60's vibe

NWinther
08-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Aquavibe....
Have had for a couple of years now....do not even think about getting anything else.

fuzzface71
08-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Takin from Fulltone site,

NEW MDV-3
Real Estate is precious, especially on your pedalboard, but the lush organic sounds of a perfect "authentic vintage Univibe clone" are a necessity, and they are now attainable in a space now smaller than a standard wah wah pedal... the Mini-Deja'Vibe3, MDV-3 for short. With a Hammertone Blue powder coated finish, White lettering, and a Blue LED that throbs to the beat of the pedal's hypnotic, asymmetrical rhythm. The MDV-3 has a new heel or toe activated True-Bypass footswitch that is perfect for the person who rarely changes speeds and just wants to turn it on or off with his toe, but also perfect for the person who rides it like a Gas-pedal and wants to turn the pedal on/off with a simple flick of the heel (see the MDV-3 video at youtube.com/fulltoneeffects)

There are a LOT of pedals claiming to be "authentic vintage Univibe clones" on the market....all of the small ones are merely a glorified MXR phaser with a few changes. That's not a Univibe! So how is one to know which pedals are real and which ones are just a cheap shortcut circuit that will satisfy you only until you get a chance to play pedal like the Fulltone MDV & MDV-3, both of which sport a "100% real vintage circuit."

A real Univibe clone will have:

4 x glass covered/hermetically-sealed photocells and an incandescent bulb on the circuit board. I go one step further...and NO ONE else does this, I took many real 1960's 'cells and had them cloned for not only dark/bright resistance, but also cloned the all-important rise and fall times of the cells as they react to the light turning on and off. Nobody else even knows about this, let alone bothers with it. They just buy whatever off-the-shelf photocells they can get, oblivious to these specs. Yes, even those forum-worshipped wait-list builders.
Run at 18+ volts, ours has a unique voltage doubler circuit inside so you can power it with any standard 9VDC adapter.
Totally discrete electronics, i.e. NO OPAMPS in the audio path! I go even further by only using New Old Stock (N.O.S) Panasonic Matsushita 2SC828 transistors for all stages, and the same metal-can 2SC539 transistor as original Univibes had for the preamp... this really makes a difference in the sound! You think those are cheap or easy to find?
In typical Fulltone fashion, I also manufacture my own speed potentiometer... it's a dual pot with a gear on it like wah-wah pot, and with a special taper. (same as original Univibes) The only change made is I up'd the resistance to 200K to get you better slow speeds, and double screen the carbon composition track to last years beyond what the old ones lasted.

A lot of you weren't around through the 90's and 2000's so it's up to me to educate you because God-knows these typists on the forums only care about how much their early-version gold-horsie KLON appreciated over the last fiscal quarter.
The waters have become somewhat murky, with builders trying to re-write history; many putting out utter-crap, charging a premium, many taking payment-in-full up-front...and never delivering product (not very Zen-like, a Mega-bummer eh?) stealing people's money. sickening.

Now, it's worse, with some having crap Chinese companies like Joyo or Mooer make their pedals for $13 ea, importing them, marking them up to $250 (Freekish & Eddie K****) or taking a simple MXR-type phaser circuit, changing a few values and calling it a "something-VIBE" and laughing all the way to the bank.
I've been building "authentic vintage Univibe clones" longer than anyone, since 1993. Mine are used by Robin Trower, Peter Frampton, Doyle Bramhall II, and countless others... by the people who know great sound and won't settle for less.

I make TOOLS for people who actually play... not for people who type about playing.
Go to a dealer, plug in and listen for yourself, you'll walk out with Fulltone more often than not.

Ah, the cutthroat world of boutique pedals. :D

ledzep618
08-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Ah, the cutthroat world of boutique pedals. :D

I don't think it's necessarily cutthroat - I think Mike Fuller is just a dick head.

BUT to stay on topic, I don't see my Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe going anywhere - it gives me the classic vibe sound. It sounds phenomenal.

Dbwalker
08-18-2013, 12:06 AM
http://www.drybell.com/vibe_machine_v1_en.html

If you get this, and dont like it ... it's not the pedal ... it's you.

katarzis
08-18-2013, 12:28 AM

+1.

Gassin Uface
08-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Been using the Fulltone DejaVibe switching to the new Earthquaker Optical Vibe, more like a DLS versa-vibe. Prescription Electronics makes a great Vibe.
For me it has to be a photocell circuit vibe.

Daka3
08-18-2013, 06:33 AM

+2. Bigtime.

tubekingsley
08-23-2013, 01:05 AM
DLS Versa Vibe is fantastic, bye bye Dry Bell- ( it's not the pedal... it's me)

Parazyd
08-23-2013, 01:06 AM
+100 for Drybell.

Kalalau Hiker
08-23-2013, 06:35 AM
anyone compare the new EQD The Depths to any of the old favorites?

willatkinson
08-23-2013, 06:43 AM
No, but I did just received my Effectrode Tube Vibe. Love it.

Loop-Master
08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
The MXR Phase 45 can do a really good vibe on higher settings.

alanbass1
08-23-2013, 08:53 AM
This has taken my fancy:

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=4766

Ambient Exposure
08-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Aquavibe = :love:

Steve73
08-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I've tried a bunch and my fav for a traditional univibe sound is the MJM Sixties vibe. Killer!!

orogeny
08-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Aquavibe = :love:
still my favorite
followed by my megavibe

Papajoe
08-23-2013, 12:16 PM

So where's the review? I'm very interested to hear, especially as his has the expression built right on it.

Hooch
08-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I miss Bob Sweet. He was a class act, RIP Bob.

mcnabbanov
08-23-2013, 01:14 PM
i've been gassing for an aquavibe for as long as I can remember, since i got into effects pedals at all. finally found one for a good price earlier this year and was not impressed at all by it. didn't even give my wilson haze vibe a run for its money, i guess i just really like the haze vibe's vibes

tommc
08-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I've been impressed with the very new Earthquaker Devices, the Depths pedal seen in several demos. Offers quite a bit of control with 5 knobs.

Empros
08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
I've been impressed with the very new Earthquaker Devices, the Depths pedal seen in several demos. Offers quite a bit of control with 5 knobs.

I ordered one from Prymaxe with a 15% coupon, fantastic deal. It just shipped today, can't wait to get it.

brain21
08-23-2013, 01:59 PM
There are a few different vibe "flavors" out there... vibes that are more based on a phaser (Pickle, Villanova, etc.), some that are more modern and versatile (Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, DLS Vibe), or as close to the real vintage deal as you can get (Castledine vibe, Classic Amplification Vibe-Baby)?

My top 3 right now are the classic amplification Vibe-baby (you simply are not going to get any closer to the real deal), DLS Versa Vibe (lots of variety in there, slightly more subtle than a vintage vibe), or the Guitar Systems Vibe Tool. If you can solder a few things and have a spare Wah enclosure, Classic Amplification has a Vibe-Baby kit thats at a great price.

stratman7
08-23-2013, 03:05 PM
I had $140 to spend and just bought a Sweet Sound Mo Faux vibe. Will I be happy??????????????? I know its kind of a phaser type pedal but the Microvibe didnt do it for me...........

Randolph
08-23-2013, 03:07 PM
There are a few different vibe "flavors" out there... vibes that are more based on a phaser (Pickle, Villanova, etc.), some that are more modern and versatile (Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, DLS Vibe), or as close to the real vintage deal as you can get (Castledine vibe, Classic Amplification Vibe-Baby)?

My top 3 right now are the classic amplification Vibe-baby (you simply are not going to get any closer to the real deal), DLS Versa Vibe (lots of variety in there, slightly more subtle than a vintage vibe), or the Guitar Systems Vibe Tool. If you can solder a few things and have a spare Wah enclosure, Classic Amplification has a Vibe-Baby kit thats at a great price.

+100 on the Classic Amplification Vibe Baby. i have one and that pedal is great! Also, the guy who makes them, Brad Burt, is awesome. He goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy with the product. Strongly recommended.

tinkercity
08-23-2013, 03:41 PM
+100 on the Classic Amplification Vibe Baby. i have one and that pedal is great! Also, the guy who makes them, Brad Burt, is awesome. He goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy with the product. Strongly recommended.

Are they still only available in the Wah enclosure?

Randolph
08-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Are they still only available in the Wah enclosure?

As far as I know but he is working on a regular pedal version that takes an expression pedal for speed control. Drop him a line, super nice guy.

rummy
08-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Been using MDV for years. It works, but I wish the effects were a little more pronounced.

Gassin Uface
08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Me as well. There is a photo intensity adjust not sure if that can do it, Fuller warns about messing with it. Maybe someone has.
MicroVibe users, this is also a real photo Vibe circuit. Not intense enough either, send it out for the JHS mod, will really improve it. Great buy and quality w that JHS mod.
Been looking at the new Earthquaker Depth Vibe, also a photo cell circuit, has controls like the DLS Versa Vibe, like that control to increase the bass thump throw. Only $200. Thinking of replacing the DejaVibe. Fuller has put out a new version of the Deja not sure if more intense or god forbid more controls!

Gassin Uface
08-26-2013, 05:17 AM
How is the Earthquaker Vibe doing? I am getting ready to get one of those, hard to beat for $200 and a real photocell circuit.
Anyone heard Prescription Electronics Vibe, pretty cool pedals.

Wolfboy1
08-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Been using MDV for years. It works, but I wish the effects were a little more pronounced.

Yep, I had the MDVII in the pedal form. I saved to get that and was really bummed it was so subtle at max settings even. Sold it and stayed away from vibes for 5 years until...

The Earthquaker Devices videos on "The Depths" convinced me to try again. Happy I did, it's a pretty awesome vibe with good tweakability. I assumed it would go after dirt but it doesn't. One of those obvious before dirt pedals. It's a for sure keeper but rethinking my pedalboard layout.

Billy Idle
08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I've tested the Pickle Vibe and liked it, but still I reproach it with a slight but noticeable mid-bump. I've tried out the Fulltone MDV-3 Deja Vibe. Not impressed at all.
I'm just looking for a vibe that would be less smooth than the -yet excellent- Micro Vibe.

WhoJamFan
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
The Amptweaker Swirlpool is a great vibe option with some serious features for dialing in your sound, and features no other vibe has. Definitely worth checking out, I use mine after dirt and it adds a sweet richness to the sound, in addition to the 2 channels of controllability.

misc1600
08-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Love for the Skreddy Paradigm Shift?

killer blues
08-26-2013, 02:07 PM
I miss Bob Sweet. He was a class act, RIP Bob.

I hear ya! My mojo vibe is everything I love about vintage vibes.

devnulljp
08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
I had a Sweet Mojovibe and a MoFaux (which is a swirly phaser, cool but not what I was looking for), and a Foxrox Aquavibe, which was good.

But the best vibes I've played are from two small kinda under-the-radar builders: the Viva Analog Opto-Vibe, which also has a great vibrato mode, and the Paisley Vibra-Fuzz, which is a clone of the Shin-ei Psychedelic Machine. Normally comes with a built in Super-Fuzz, but mine has a MkI Tone Bender :)

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq123/devnulljp/Viva%20Analog/opto-vibe/075440d2.jpg

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq123/devnulljp/Fuzz/paisley/vibrafuzz/VibraFuzzV.jpg

Gassin Uface
08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Vibes work before or after dirt depends on that you want and the overdrive or gain interaction.
Heavy bass pulse, less sweep, vibrato phase, heavy Trower, before dirt, cleaner vibrant Hendrix New Risin' Son after or with no dirt maybe a cleaner drive or boost.
It's a cool pedal but a limited use one. I have always loved that Hendrix thing with the Univibe and of course I love all of Robin Trower's magic which simply cannot be rendered without the vibe pulse. Trower following Hendrix's lead had his after for years. Fuller had him put the DejaVibe up front for a better tone for his sound. The DejaVibe is a spot on redo of the original circuit optimized, and it does that, it's just the original univibe left much to be desired. The more modern units coming out are superior.

That throw at the point in the sweep is the vibe, the low bass thump, if you want that out it starts turning into more of a phaser. The ones that have the low end thump control are more versatile.

M40A1
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Vibes work before or after dirt depends on that you want and the overdrive or gain interaction.
Heavy bass pulse, less sweep, vibrato phase, heavy Trower, before dirt, cleaner vibrant Hendrix New Risin' Son after or with no dirt maybe a cleaner drive or boost.
It's a cool pedal but a limited use one. I have always loved that Hendrix thing with the Univibe and of course I love all of Robin Trower's magic which simply cannot be rendered without the vibe pulse. Trower following Hendrix's lead had his after for years. Fuller had him put the DejaVibe up front for a better tone for his sound. The DejaVibe is a spot on redo of the original circuit optimized, and it does that, it's just the original univibe left much to be desired. The more modern units coming out are superior.

That throw at the point in the sweep is the vibe, the low bass thump, if you want that out it starts turning into more of a phaser. The ones that have the low end thump control are more versatile.

Any thoughts on the new MDV-3? Worth it for Hendrx and Trower vibe?

Rootzzound
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
I have the MDV-3 and i love it way better than the MXR hendrix vibe that i got for xmas, or the microV. it goes very well with fuzz ( i use a RM Axis Fuzz TC ) , i love this wah pedal thing .... sound is great , throb is good, for me my UVibe , don´t need any thing els i found my Vibe sound... :D

my chain is Gibson Les Paul/Fender Stratocaster-Dunlopy 70´s Hendrix Wah-MDV3-RM AF TC-MXR JHM3-MXR JHM2-MXR JHM1-EHX Cathedral - Marshall JTM1C and in this setting it is totally doing Hendrix or Trower for me, and i like it with strat or LP. it goes very well with both, where the MXR is bit to dark with the LP

... and MDV3 with RM Axis sounds to me like the Live at Berkley sound .....

i know its lame but he dedicated it to trower and i read in interviews that his is only using fulltone stuff, well but u can say alot if the day is long enough...... http://www.long-mcquade.com/files/21565/lg_FulltonePedal2.png

redslim
08-27-2013, 04:21 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/redslimblues/tumblr_lwwtmchG2t1qbiohb.jpg

Gassin Uface
08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
The Fulltone Vibe's are not only exact original circuits but vastly improved noise floor, dynamics and select photo cells Fuller has made. Trower is the undisputed king of the effect and he has used the DejaVibe for years now. One must assume he could use anyone he wanted, despite Fuller gives him free stuff that would be no real reason to use something that was not bringing the tone.
I have used the mini DejaVibe for over a years or so and it is the best one I have had but I have not had but a few. It lends itself to before dirt tones to get more of darker pulse to warble as I do not find it to be a very bold effect so the before dirt helps it a lot. I will have to check out the new one, maybe he made some better improvements. I am seriously looking at the new Earthquaker Vibe which is a photo circuit as well. It has a lot of controls like a Versa Vibe but I hear is more bold with the thump control for the low end throw.
There are a lot of great vibes out there. I also had an original Univibe ages ago, nice and all but not true bypass nor a good buffer circuit, was also noisy. Most using them now a days put them out of chain in a bypass loop. Fuller has to be given credit for resurrecting the original circuit adding true bypass, reducing the noise floor and custom quality photo cells using a mirrored box containment. There were really no other units for some time, now there is a bunch.
I love the effect myself, when you get that trem phase tone just right, there is nothing like it. It's a limited use thing but a very cool one.

Supercubziggy
08-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Thats a real clean specimen Redslim. Mine is an early two stripe footswitch model. I have yet to find a copy that gives me that 3D psychedelic quality that i need. Im just scared to take mine out of the house/studio. If it were stolen i would have a meltdown. I dont think i could handle it...

redslim
08-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Thats a real clean specimen Redslim. Mine is an early two stripe footswitch model. I have yet to find a copy that gives me that 3D psychedelic quality that i need. Im just scared to take mine out of the house/studio. If it were stolen i would have a meltdown. I dont think i could handle it...

I know! I like the magic the original ones have! had many clones untill one day i was like f**k it gonna save and get the real deal. The thing is, i dont want a clone that sounds "better". i like the flaws the originals have!! it takes me straight to a band of gypsies mood and inspires me at gigs! its hard to explain what it has! I know what you mean about not taking it anywhere but life is short. Someone has kept mine their whole life untouched and i wont do the same. Gonna use the crap out of it!

ps.: i understand that not all originals sound the same but i think i just got lucky, i LOVE the sound mine has! I run it with a true bypass looper and (with mine) i actually really like the sound i get when the signal goes thru it (even if the effect is on 'cancel')

Rootzzound
08-28-2013, 11:00 AM
i´m going to upload a little demo for the MDV3 ... may do it today or tomorrow

flcmcya
08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I have an MDV-3 and a Drybell

Both have pretty similar tones and options.........

u pick.....separate exp or ready made! :aok

Rootzzound
08-28-2013, 11:39 AM
well it worked out fastr than i thought ....

i know its crappy playing , but i just want to do a nice demo, an show some different settings .... hope it helps a bit ... an its my first gear vid. on utube.... so be gently

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCY1KapjObg
Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hKi7iebbqo

enjoy

Papajoe
08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I lose my mind when I see and hear those original white letter Shin-ei's. IMO they are the original "Voodoo" pedal complete with built in mojo. One of these days...

So... Classic Amplification or MDV-3 for Hendrix BoG era?

Currently using the 70th anniv. FF and 'Vibe with the Strat into a Marshall C5-01.

Opinions please.

Randolph
08-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I lose my mind when I see and hear those original white letter Shin-ei's. IMO they are the original "Voodoo" pedal complete with built in mojo. One of these days...

So... Classic Amplification or MDV-3 for Hendrix BoG era?

Currently using the 70th anniv. FF and 'Vibe with the Strat into a Marshall C5-01.

Opinions please.

Classic Amplification IMO but I haven't tried the MDV

Gassin Uface
08-29-2013, 01:20 PM
I think it's funny so many feel a "clone" of the exact circuit with better components and lower noise with true bypass cannot sound as good. It almost as funny as the clone argument over Klons. I had an original Univibe and it was noisy and weak. The reason Trower uses it is because it is the Univibe and he does not bother with the old one. The reason many have used other vibe pedals as they are more intense and control optioned over the Fulltone which is more like the original without the hiss fest.
__________________________________________________ __________
Fulltone:
Mini DejáVibe
You can't blame 'em... they're trying to break into a market that I own. So when the new booteek company of the month says "uh, I make a more exact copy of the original... SMACK!... sorry Boy... you can't get more accurate than EXACT.

We are the first to put out an exact copy of the legendary Vintage'60's Univibe on a large scale. Ours has that dripping Phase-Chorused tone that made Jimi's "Machine Gun" so epic! ...because of the mini-DV's unique voltage doubling circuit you can use any standard 9 volt DC adapter (Fulltone FPS-1 adapter is included). And inside the MDV the power is ramped up to the original Univibe's 18+ volts DC!

Features also include a mini-toggle switch to choose between Vintage/Modern settings allowing for warm original '60's Univibe grind (Vintage) and louder, with more output (Modern).

The Photocells: We're the only small company who can quite frankly afford to have the correct Glass covered, hermetically sealed photocells Custom-made. Here's a photo comparison of the photocells of the MDV and a vintage Univibe.

The Bulb: Getting the correct Voltage rating on this is no big deal, but does size really matter? Yes, but don't look at the size of the Glass, look at the size of the Filament (wire inside the glass)! We got it right.. And this is crucial to achieve the correct amount of brightness... it also has to flash consistently at all speeds. Our does.

The Shroud: No, not a religious garment... it's the aluminum cover protecting the photocells... is the inside of your clone mirrored? Too bad, the original Univibe's was and so is ours, and that's the only way to get the proper light reflection inside the photo-array. It's all in the details.

Robin Trower says of his DejáVibe
"Simply Brilliant. I use it all the time. It's the best of its kind!!"

MDV3
__________________________________________________ ____________

Vintage yada. Of course you have to love it you spent a thousand or more. Like an original Klon, $1500-2000 or an exact circuit mimic, Arc Klone $300 and others.
It is the same Univibe circuit, except your internal components are very old and god knows the components back then never failed or weakened. Photocells are probably just like new. Right...

redslim
08-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info sir! :)

I own vintage and non-vintage effects. I'm not a builder but i follow my ears. If it sounds and feels good (dynamically) to me i keep it, If it doesnt, i sell it for the same price and at least i got to try it.

Again, all i'm doing is sharing my experience and the particular units i came across. It may be because its old, components are shitty or whatever (and obviously not as reliable as new units) but its the sound i was after all my life. I knew that 3 seconds after turning it on.

Who knows my original probably sounded exactly like a Dejavibe when it was new...

Dont get me wrong, Fulltone makes AMAZING effects! and i have quite a few of them as well!

Chonny
08-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Ive been using the MDV (small one) and recently bought a Drybell and I have big hopes that its gonna be awesome. If nothing else I can get the vibe effect on my PT mini which will make me happier than not having it.

If I ever buy a vintage Univibe it would have to be in dead mint condition and come with its own Pelican case.

bradinnm
08-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Ive been using the MDV (small one) and recently bought a Drybell and I have big hopes that its gonna be awesome. If nothing else I can get the vibe effect on my PT mini which will make me happier than not having it.

If I ever buy a vintage Univibe it would have to be in dead mint condition and come with its own Pelican case.

I would love to here what you think of the Drybell as I am on the fence on that one myself!

Chonny
08-29-2013, 05:31 PM
No problem.

Gassin Uface
08-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the info sir! :)

I own vintage and non-vintage effects. I'm not a builder but i follow my ears. If it sounds and feels good (dynamically) to me i keep it, If it doesnt, i sell it for the same price and at least i got to try it.

Again, all i'm doing is sharing my experience and the particular units i came across. It may be because its old, components are shitty or whatever (and obviously not as reliable as new units) but its the sound i was after all my life. I knew that 3 seconds after turning it on.

Who knows my original probably sounded exactly like a Dejavibe when it was new...

Dont get me wrong, Fulltone makes AMAZING effects! and i have quite a few of them as well!

Actually my Fulltone pedals have come and gone, the DejaVibe remains his flagship unit as far as I am concerned. Really the only Fulltone that interests me.
I have always had the premise that one should use what works for them.

But vintage for the sake of vintage is really no longer a valid argument these days. I had many of the original effects having been a teenager when there were hardly no pedals at all. A lot of times things were used simply because there was no alternative. Many of the "classic" pedals I did not think all that much of, at the time. To think they sell for such ridiculous prices these days is not something I will fall into as they were not that great then and I doubt if decades of age has improved them.
I am not saying the Deja is the say all end all of vibe pedals. I am just saying it is the original circuit and the only differences are bypass and reduced noise. If anything higher quality components are used. Fuller had the insight to offer a weaken photocell setting to serve as the sound of an older unit. But when these things like so many grail guitars and whatnot of the "vintage time" were all NEW when they made the magic. Seems a little absurd for me to ponder decades of age has not effected anything. Today's modern technology is beyond the imagination of those times and to think we cannot make something better or improve upon it is just absurd.

Dominik1986
08-30-2013, 05:07 AM
I really love my Castledine Supra-Vibe

giftmones
08-30-2013, 05:12 AM
full tone dejavibe

Liquitone
08-30-2013, 05:53 AM
Fuller had the insight to offer a weaken photocell setting to serve as the sound of an older unit. But when these things like so many grail guitars and whatnot of the "vintage time" were all NEW when they made the magic. Seems a little absurd for me to ponder decades of age has not effected anything. Today's modern technology is beyond the imagination of those times and to think we cannot make something better or improve upon it is just absurd.

I always thought that modern/vintage mode was just switching the input resistor to ground between original low input impedance and modern high input impedance.
If that is the case vintage mode would work the same as a new vibe in 1969 would have worked, and I personally prefer that dark/chewy sound to the bright high input impedance and I'm guessing many others do as well.

redslim
08-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Actually my Fulltone pedals have come and gone, the DejaVibe remains his flagship unit as far as I am concerned. Really the only Fulltone that interests me.
I have always had the premise that one should use what works for them.

But vintage for the sake of vintage is really no longer a valid argument these days. I had many of the original effects having been a teenager when there were hardly no pedals at all. A lot of times things were used simply because there was no alternative. Many of the "classic" pedals I did not think all that much of, at the time. To think they sell for such ridiculous prices these days is not something I will fall into as they were not that great then and I doubt if decades of age has improved them.
I am not saying the Deja is the say all end all of vibe pedals. I am just saying it is the original circuit and the only differences are bypass and reduced noise. If anything higher quality components are used. Fuller had the insight to offer a weaken photocell setting to serve as the sound of an older unit. But when these things like so many grail guitars and whatnot of the "vintage time" were all NEW when they made the magic. Seems a little absurd for me to ponder decades of age has not effected anything. Today's modern technology is beyond the imagination of those times and to think we cannot make something better or improve upon it is just absurd.

Sorry man but nothing you say will change what i hear.

bettset
08-30-2013, 07:25 AM
i didn't read every post. any word on the roger mayer voodoo vibe tc :munch

tnmccammon
08-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Love my Fulltone Deja Vibe and Deluxe wah..quality built and my Fulltone keepers.

Chonny
08-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Im actually only 82-87% happy with the Fulltone MDV. I still look and look and look.

Supercubziggy
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, to each his own i guess. My 66' sounds like no other. Like it or not. I plug this thing in and people start coming out of the other rehearsal rooms to see what it is. I would love to think its my playing, but its not. I really dont like dragging this gigantic cumbersome thing around, but i cannot replicate it. Its chewy 3D quality is so psychedelic the whole room swims with guitar tone.

kirkham13
08-30-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm not an expert on vibes but the bearfoot mv is working for me. It's not especially "thick and chewy" like my vintage phaser, soon for sale, but it more importantly retains the clean and bright side of things for people who play clean but want some delays etc.

Gassin Uface
08-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Everyone should always use what rings their bell, and they will do just that.
It's all about having fun and guitar pedals make the guitar fun, sometimes I think the trial and error of new pedals is more fun than arriving at a finalized selection.
Seems like we always have a desire to try another pedal no matter what. It's just damn fun messing with pedals and striving to improve gear. I just got several new things this last month and I am already pondering some speaker cabs and such.

We live in an age when factual logic or evidential realism does not matter to one's sense of belief or their senses. As if ears are a bench mark measurement tool of infallible reference. A persons hearing is as objective and variant as anything else. Maybe their shitty hearing accounts for their notions of tone and good sound, might make someone else cringe. I know of few guitar players who do not have some level of hearing loss. There's also the cats who have their home studio that EQ their room by ear, never having heard of a frequency analyzer.
I think it must be so frustrating for equipment manufacturers that they must keep a large pedestal rock nearby to hit their head on it in dealing with the whim and opinion of "guitar players".
I think that is why makers like Fuller have such a terrible ass attitude towards questions or in dealing with customers, he probably got fed up and his head has lumps.

redslim
08-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Question is: "whos the one with shitty hearing?" If thats me and by having "Shitty hearing" i keep getting other guitar players coming to me at gigs and asking how im getting the tone im getting, asking me to produce their work, or even just come in before recordings to get the best sound of a room. So ok i'm very proud of my 'Shitty hearing'. I try to not judge anyone and as i said before simply exchange experiences and i'd appreciate if u could do the same since you have no idea who you're talking to or how i sound.

Papajoe
08-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Question is: "whos the one with shitty hearing?" If thats me and by having "Shitty hearing" i keep getting other guitar players coming to me at gigs and asking how im getting the tone im getting, asking me to produce their work, or even just come in before recordings to get the best sound of a room. So ok i'm very proud of my 'Shitty hearing'. I try to not judge anyone and as i said before simply exchange experiences and i'd appreciate if u could do the same since you have no idea who you're talking to or how i sound.

Dude, when you own the holy grail Univibe, you don't owe anyone an explanation.

mc_deli
08-31-2013, 01:10 PM
i didn't read every post. any word on the roger mayer voodoo vibe tc :munch

Sounds great. Funny knobs, especially on the external trim pots. Great build quality. Touched by the hand of the (a) master. No exp pedal jack. Not everyone's cup of tea looks-wise but will stay on my big board 4eva.

PS Vibe thread dudes, the FullFanBoy stuff isn't doing anyone any favours. These vibe threads are downright bizarre enough as it is without the shroud of Mike's waffle being quoted:facepalm

Grubgoat
08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Love for the Skreddy Paradigm Shift?

Its the only Vibe I've tried, but I love mine... I instantly got "Jimi at Woodstock" out of it, without all the noise I hear on the album. Paired with a Lunar Module, I can play the whole Dark Side of the Moon album, just those two pedals. The Paradigm Shift can sort of sound like an echo, it can get a nice phase/chorus going, plus that "chewy" vibe thing, and all of this changes depending on your input volume.

I don't even use the ON/OFF switch, if you want the effect to go away, just use your foot and turn the speed knob all the way down. The other two controls are "useless", too, in that the Vibe sound is both of them at 1 pm, other settings are just "extra", and you can get the same sounds anyway. Basically, the Speed control at low-ish speed is nice phase, mid-high speed is more "vibe", but again, this will change with your guitar volume (and pick attack).

(I actually tried to get Marc to put both the Paradigm Shift AND the Lunar Module (not dlx) in one box, call it the "Total Eclipse" or something, and only have one ON/OFF switch for it, *way* less knobs. It'd be THE Dark Side pedal. He was very polite in refusing me :)).

In particular, I like that foot-reachable speed knob. I think more pedals need to be set up like that, rather than messing with giant expression controls...

Also, the ebay prices seem to be going down lately...

Chonny
08-31-2013, 06:37 PM
when you own the holy grail Univibe, you don't owe anyone an explanation.

I hope nobody is seriously questioning whether or not the Fulltone or anything else sounds more like a Univibe than that actual mint condition Shin Ei.

deeohgee
08-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Aquavibe works best for me.

SnotDoc
08-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Question is: "whos the one with shitty hearing?"

Ear surgeon here. I know a lot of people with shitty hearing. That is all. Thanks.

bettset
08-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Sounds great. Funny knobs, especially on the external trim pots. Great build quality. Touched by the hand of the (a) master. No exp pedal jack. Not everyone's cup of tea looks-wise but will stay on my big board 4eva.

PS Vibe thread dudes, the FullFanBoy stuff isn't doing anyone any favours. These vibe threads are downright bizarre enough as it is without the shroud of Mike's waffle being quoted:facepalm

Gassin Uface
09-01-2013, 04:11 AM

I was speaking in a generality that most veteran guitar players have hearing loss and or damage, a pretty common reality.
I cannot defend who says what to you or why that is not my concern. There are not many musicians in mensa, most "guitarists" are shall we say not that educated, in anything...OK everyone, Freudian psychology, "he must be talking about me".
The way get the best sound out of a room it has to be engineered, and that involves frequency analysis to EQ the room, presuming that can be done my ear is perhaps something a teenager would think.
A decent professional sound man can easily pink noise a venue if they have not already set their club PA up properly.
Why we do not need 40-50 years old electronics nor the hearing evaluation of photo cells that aged and weakened, it as silly as thinking a 50 year old pedal sounds the same as it did new. And you as well have no idea who I am, what I know, or how I sound, whatever relevance that might have to simple evidential fact that most people have hearing loss, old shit is indeed old, and a lot of guitar players have the brain of a house plant.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/miniDeja3

redslim
09-01-2013, 04:04 PM
I was speaking in a generality that most veteran guitar players have hearing loss and or damage, a pretty common reality.
I cannot defend who says what to you or why that is not my concern. There are not many musicians in mensa, most "guitarists" are shall we say not that educated, in anything...OK everyone, Freudian psychology, "he must be talking about me".
The way get the best sound out of a room it has to be engineered, and that involves frequency analysis to EQ the room, presuming that can be done my ear is perhaps something a teenager would think.
A decent professional sound man can easily pink noise a venue if they have not already set their club PA up properly.
Why we do not need 40-50 years old electronics nor the hearing evaluation of photo cells that aged and weakened, it as silly as thinking a 50 year old pedal sounds the same as it did new. And you as well have no idea who I am, what I know, or how I sound, whatever relevance that might have to simple evidential fact that most people have hearing loss, old shit is indeed old, and a lot of guitar players have the brain of a house plant.

This is a waste of my time. i'm out of here. have fun with your clone

"Beware of dumb people who are just smart enough to cover up being dumb!"

Soothsayer
09-01-2013, 08:52 PM
IMHO the Strymon Mobious is the best vibe.

Chonny
09-01-2013, 09:40 PM
There are not many musicians in mensa, most "guitarists" are shall we say not that educated, in anything...OK everyone, Freudian psychology, "he must be talking about me".

This is the most ridiculous crap Ive read on this forum since I started reading it again a few months ago. Youre going to call this guy out for hearing loss, discredit the education of guitar players, speculate about sound men, call a mint condition vintage pedal pedal old, and then go on to insult everyone's intelligence again. Cool.

These vibe threads are downright bizarre

Randolph
09-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Yea, this thread is now officially annoying to read.

bettset
09-02-2013, 10:59 AM

yeah.........i don't mind vibe threads. where did this one go to :munch

bradinnm
09-02-2013, 12:06 PM
I was enjoying this one and looking forward to more Drybell info...

DEAD THREAD

:facepalm

Jules
09-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I tried a JAM Pedals Retrovibe in a guitar shop a few days ago. It sounded excellent. Features wise it was basic - just speed and depth controls - no external volume, expression pedal input or vibrato setting - but the sound was spectacular.

mc_deli
09-02-2013, 01:28 PM
The clue is in the thread title

Gassin Uface
09-04-2013, 01:53 AM
This is a waste of my time. i'm out of here. have fun with your clone

"Beware of dumb people who are just smart enough to cover up being dumb!"
Life is probably a waste of your time. Logic is that pretty thing which is left when you cannot comprehend a clone is identical and in some cases more optimized to modern standards of noise and bypass.

"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris."

Gassin Uface
09-04-2013, 01:55 AM

God, I hope I have helped.
Don't blame me it was my clone.

Gassin Uface
09-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Any DLS Versa Vibe users out there?? I am pondering this one over the Depths as maybe a little higher end.
Dude if you get annoyed that easy you should avoid guitar blogs. What do you expect, solid conversation, world events, intelligent discourse?

weavzy
09-09-2013, 02:02 AM
these are the best vibes. If you havent got one of these, you havent got a good one. End thread. End all vibe Threads...http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af88/weavzy/Vibes_zpscc002fbe.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/weavzy/media/Vibes_zpscc002fbe.jpg.html)

Rootzzound
09-09-2013, 05:13 AM
any way the gear is just as good as the user and dude who play/use it or...? for example a friend of mine don´t like the univibe at all, when he is playing it... cause he don´t know what to do with it, if i play it he likes it.... an if hendrix would be still under us, i believe we would use totally different stuff... or they would still produce the orig. Shinei device because of him....if u looking for the Device trower uses get ur self a Fulltone its proofed that he uses this unit... if u want the one Randy Hansen uses get ur self a KG Mega Vibe.... i like my Fulltone MDV3, an my MXR 70´s hendrix viby has also its use... if u like it buy it ;) why not having a selection of vibe pedals to choose from...? if u need some thing more phasey, some thing with more throb or intense and control optioned an so on u have it in ur selection.... we r in 2013 every thing is usable we survived the maya prophecy so we can find a solution here :D

PEace keep on Vibe´ing

Stratobuc
09-09-2013, 05:16 AM
these are the best vibes. If you havent got one of these, you havent got a good one. End thread. End all vibe Threads...

The MJM Sixties Vibe can hang with any of those on your list. Continue......

bettset
09-09-2013, 09:59 AM
The MJM Sixties Vibe can hang with any of those on your list. Continue......

it does. put my "old" one up to the challenge.....very liquid :munch

10strings
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
these are the best vibes. If you havent got one of these, you havent got a good one. End thread. End all vibe Threads...http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af88/weavzy/Vibes_zpscc002fbe.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/weavzy/media/Vibes_zpscc002fbe.jpg.html)

What about the Ultra Vibe II?

clapointe1
09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Fulltone Mini-Deja'Vibe ! Mike got it right ,couldn't ask for a more perfect vintage sounding Univibe!

waveydb
09-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I love the playing on Mike Hermans' prymaxe Versa vibe demo. I also like the sound of the DLS- though it's not too throbby like a vibe- kinda more like a swooshless phaser or chorus.

Rootzzound
09-09-2013, 01:09 PM
the Roger mayer Voodoo Vibe+ also sounds good to me,even i don´t have it.. and the options this unit is offering is almost to much an should satisfy every one :D an it is build by jimi´s Royal Technician ;)

el guapo
09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Yes on the voodoo vibe. I've had two. If I ever need a vibe again, that's the one to get.

Chonny
09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Some (not all) good Univibe pedals (in alphabetical order).

Castledine
Drybell
Fox
Fulltone
Prescription

fuzzface71
09-09-2013, 05:27 PM

You need to add the MJM Sixties Vibe and Roger Mayer Vibe.

cPjKUqEOwzU

RS92vWf0hiw

bettset
09-09-2013, 08:01 PM
yeah.......who has used the smaller mayer voodoo vibe tc. is it pretty much the same vibe in a smaller box :munch

Gassin Uface
09-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Well, I opted to get the DLS Versa Vibe trading in my mini DejaVibe. Sort of disappointed in the sound right now. Still learning how to adjust it. Does not seem to sound good in front of gains at all. Also does not have the more pure photocell tone I am used to. Maybe I should have gotten the MDV3... not sure this was a good way to go. Like the Mayer this uses LED optical circuit but at this point, I miss the photocell sound and no one really renders that better than Fuller. His mirrored lamp box and custom cells are more effort than most make in getting that circuit right. I may take the DLS back as it was quite a bit more and so far I am not happy with it. Anyone have tips on the settings as it is not doing it for me.

exodus
09-09-2013, 11:26 PM
if you haven't built your own vibe from scratch like I did then:

/end this thread
/end vibe threads
/end....

Sorry, being sarcastic up there (per annoying TGP / posts).

I did spend a lot of time building my own vibe. I've built four different versions at this point...and I still work on it. I have owned all the great boutique ones... and they are all great. I've owned everything but a vintage one... and I still would like to play one. :cool:

That said, the best vibe available is the one I built. :anon

Haha. Truth be told, I still think I have made a great vibe. But of the builders out there, I think the best is Castledine with his Supra-Vibe. It really is sweet. Other builders make vibes that work better in other settings. None of the boutique stuff is bad. Get your hands dirty.

Rootzzound
09-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Some (not all) good Univibe pedals (in alphabetical order).

Castledine
Drybell
Fox
Fulltone
Prescription

Agree:D

@ Gassin Uface : I can recommend the MDV3 for gain stuff also like the photocell sound of it very lush, throby, sweepy.... i Have direct after the MDV3 a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz and together it souuuuuunnnndddds Sooooo good together, i really love it.... give it a try ... ;)

Rootzzound
09-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Ps.... anyway what sounds nice to u buy it, some recommend the danelectro cool cat vibe... or saying that they have a phaser/chorus that sounds better than any univibe clone... so its all up to the own taste and needs, if it suits u its good... i think there is no real good or bad one.... for example i love my Digitech Bad Monkey Tube overdrive... and i know many who hate it....

or collect those who r good sounding an u have a selection to choose from :D for every need and situation

peace

Gassin Uface
09-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I have tried the DLS before but I tried every setting I found it to be subtle both in bass dip and bounce of the effect. If Fuller says that the MDV3 sounds like his previous versions I think it'll be more like the Gold DejaVibe. I've had 2 of those they are good, doesn't overtake your tone.

As I have expected this will be overlooked being a digital unit and all however I agree with you. I've owned 2 Gold Dejavibes, a Mojovibe and tried others. The Mobius has the qualities of those vibes and corrects the shortcomings. Sadly there are no decent demos out there that shows it.

I am taking the DLS back, big mistake, I did not find it subtle, it has a huge low end pulse and whip but its like one of those chorus settings that is too fast and detunes the crap out of everything. This is not what I consider a Univibe tone. The MDV3 is the one, coming in Oct, mine is on wait list.

Sometimes I want the Vibe to take the tone, there is always the intensity switch and the intensity knob. If you want the Vibe less put it in front of OD or gains, allowing for the "rule of dominance" in pedal positions, that which comes after is the more dominant effect. The OD or gain retains its power over the tone while the Vibe adds that cool pulse throw like a phaser but deliciously unique like only the Vibe can do.

I am not a Fulltone fanatic myself but sorry on the Vibe Fuller nailed it and his wah is pretty damn good, nothing else interests me much. From what I have heard of the new MDV3 it sounds ever more like the old vintage Univibe. I fell in for all the glaring reviews on the DLS, not for me, no matter where I tried to adjust it, just a detuning nightmare for me, and it seemed to hate being in front of OD or gains.

Seriously the photocell circuit is the best, period. And building one from a kit, I guess no one reads up on these things much. Fuller uses a special mirrored light box, select lamps and and his own custom made photocells. His is a very anal retentive working of the original circuit, enhancing the quality and culling the noise floor and tone sucking. Might be others notable but who takes such effort to make the circuit perfect, a bin built clone is about like a bad Klon clone, component quality and tight tolerance matters. For me it's the MDV3 all the way! I loved my DejaVibe and it was a big mistake thinking the DLS was going to be better, just no way. Daddy wants the new shiny blue one. I will look for the Mobius but I doubt I can afford it. The price on the MDV3 is like $200-220, very reasonable for the quality of build.
Wow, big bucks, this is out of my range and I cannot make payments on it. Got to love Strymon, uber top shelf.
Strymon Mobius Modulator
$449.00 (Prymaxe Vintage)

Chonny
09-12-2013, 01:03 AM
EXME8slAKJw

You can hear what the Univibe offers to the Hendrix tone.

The Drybell sounds more like the above pedal than the MDV...

btdvox
09-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Really liking the EQD Depths

MikeTz
09-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Really liking the EQD Depths
How does it compare to the Mobius' vibe? Is it better sounding?

I know you own one because I read the thread you made where you compared your previous modulation pedals (Hartman Flanger, JHS Warbletron, etc..). Which also helped me get a Mobius, so cheers for that :beer

Gassin Uface
09-12-2013, 03:37 AM
The DLS does have a big low end but I find it different from a throb of a good Vibe. More like turning up the bass on your amp. Good luck with the MDV3, I'd like to know what you think of it after spending more time with it. I'll check it out if I see one at my local GC.

If it is as good as my prior mini DejaVibe I will be quite happy. Adding a foot control will be great as well as getting a new set of cells. After about 5 different Vibe I am staying with the MDV3. I am unable to purchase a lot of these obscure pedals but they look really interesting. I believe Fuller is telling the truth about his circuit being custom made cells, choice lamp and mirrored light boix and I do not think any of the others even using photocells are as anal retentive as he makes that circuit. My only complaint with mine is it could have been more bold but I compensated like Trower does via Fuller's recommend that it go before dirt.
It got that tone but on the cleans it could have been more Hendrix New Risin' Sun, ironically Fuller demos the new MDV3 playing that tune, wow, glad mine is paid for I am just waiting for it to come in.

The DLS just was not a good vibe for my tastes, not at all. I tried to submit a 3 star review of it twice and apparently Guitar Center does not post unfavorable reviews???? If that is what the LED optical circuit does, I am staying with the photocell circuit. I am interested still in the Depths by Earthquaker but cannot see that smaller box outdoing Fuller's custom circuit design and detail.

I guess if you find the one that hits it you love it. I liked my DejaVibe but I needed an update. I think the MDV3 will sound a little better as this is Fuller's 3rd version, new lamps and a foot controller are enough for me, any improvement on tone is just icing.
Makes me ponder the Vibe God Trower uses the DejaVibe and surely he could have anyone he wanted and must have tried everything available when he retired his old Univibe. I had one ages ago and really Fulltone has hit everything good about it, culled the noise and added bypass no tone sucking like the old one and better quality components. Must be a reason Trower has used it for years. Being English he could have easily gotten the Mayer unit.

Liquitone
09-12-2013, 05:24 AM
If that is what the LED optical circuit does, I am staying with the photocell circuit.

I would like to clarify on the terminology here. A photocell circuit is an optical circuit just like the LED optical circuit is an optical circuit. A 'Vactrol' contains a light-source (usually a LED) and a photocell. I do agree there is a difference, but that is mainly caused by the different light-sources and the way it's set up. A 'Vactrol' has a LED facing the photocell's surface directly with a very short distance inbetween, while the optical circuit used in most vibes is a lamp surrounded by 4 photocells placed within a reflective light-shield. The lamp has a much slower response than a LED, and also differs from an LED when it comes to color-tempratures, which in turn elicit a different response from the photocells.
Light/dark resistance and rise/fall times of the photocells are important as well, but this goes for both vactrol and lamp/photocell setups.
You can't swap the lamp for an LED in a classic Uni-Vibe circuit without severely affecting the response. I think RM counters this by using a very different LFO circuit, so the endresult is somewhat the same.

So long story short; I do agree that careful selection of the types and value-ranges of photocells, lamp and light-shield does matter, every little variance in this setup affects the sound of the vibe, and can explain why all vibes sound slightly different.
However I disagree with Fullers claim that he is the only one doing this right. There are a lot of vibe builders out there taking great care in selecting and tuning parts in their vibe builds. Which gets me to the title of this tread; there are a lot of good ones and a few excellent ones out there but I don't believe there is one that is the best.

augur
09-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Don't want to create a polemic but......
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT STRYMON MOBIUS VIBE MODE? :P

btdvox
09-12-2013, 10:19 AM
How does it compare to the Mobius' vibe? Is it better sounding?

I know you own one because I read the thread you made where you compared your previous modulation pedals (Hartman Flanger, JHS Warbletron, etc..). Which also helped me get a Mobius, so cheers for that :beer

Mobius vibe can cop some great uni-vibe style tones if you turn your tone knob down (I find it's a bit too hi-fi sounding), the depths is just a different style vibe completely. Unique though

MikeTz
09-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Mobius vibe can cop some great uni-vibe style tones if you turn your tone knob down (I find it's a bit too hi-fi sounding), the depths is just a different style vibe completely. Unique though
Thanks for your thoughts, might look more into 'The Depths'.

MikeTz
09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I find the headroom, level, waveshape, depth & lo-end really interactive with one another. Strymon really did a good job on the Mobius.
I agree and thanks for the tip, I thought it sounded good with the tone up full, so I never bothered with it.

btdvox
09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I agree except I don't find it hi-fi sounding when the guitar tone knob is around 8-19. At that setting I find it retains the natural sound of the guitar but the vibe is less chewy which reminds me of my old DejaVibe. If I turn the tone knob to 5-6 it becomes thick and chewy like the Mojovibe. I also agree that it can cop a lot of great vibe tones. I find the headroom, level, waveshape, depth & lo-end really interactive with one another. Strymon really did a good job on the Mobius.

Exactly my thoughts too.

I found if I turn the tone knob down it basically copied the JHS warbletron I had on my board. In some ways its better because better to have the higher end, and be able to turn it down using the tone knob, than not.

1224 Lee
09-12-2013, 05:45 PM
DLS versa vibe works great for me - after gain (never even tried it up front).

Being a flexible pedal - yes it can do pitch shift and detune stuff too.

The original Shin-ei units were huge tone suckers and horribly inconsistent by all accounts.

A bit of innovation goes a long way in making a reliable and consistent product. Its well built, tbs, all analogue, extremely versatile, quiet, not too big and runs off 9volts.

I have a photocell phaser and can't say I can tell the difference due to LEDs.

Gassin Uface
09-13-2013, 04:05 PM
I guess the moral of this story is, nothing. Not being able to tell the difference or comprehend what the differences are, adjudged by a persons ear against the infinite variable of ones rig. Huge difference in Vibes trying to use a Strat single coil thing or a LP humbuckler type, huge. Huge difference in Vibe before or after OD, a clean or dirty amp.
Having used everything from a real original Univibe which was indeed a noisy fickle effect at best. The photocell circuits are better, more organic, the LED type are darker and just sound a lot different. If you like a chorus that is detuned, fast and warps the signal all over hell or you prefer a more lush full chorus that retains articulation, there is a difference. NO freakin way that DLS gets anything close to a Deja or photocell vibe, just no way. It is beyond ears.
By all means use what suits you. Nothing matters.
It is what is it is. I cannot help some do not hear this or that, as if everyone's ears are the same or serve as benchmark measurement tools. Use what you like. That is what everyone does. Listen to the wrong sources, buy the wrong pedal, I have, sometimes the hype and bull gets us all. I do still love the new syndrome, where you have something therefore it must be great. More and more in my aged years as a player I am able to reject a pedal outright as a mistake without suffering the "I have it, it is great" syndrome. DLS, out. Cheaper lower tech photocell or modified phaser circuit vibes, out.

I've gone back to the MDV3 and that is the end of the journey for vibes for me. I like the old school, Gilmour, Trower, Hendrix Vibe tones, that is is the puppy that brings it home. If the Vibe god Trower has chosen that one, I sort of have to listen to him, I paid the price for listening to others. I'm done.

Chonny
09-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Having used everything from a real original Univibe which was indeed a noisy fickle effect at best.

You're insane arent you. Listen to this video. If you dont reply and say that it sounds awesome, then you are completely full of shit and you should never post on this or any thread again, ever.

EXME8slAKJw&feature=player_embedded

Gassin Uface
09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
You're insane arent you. Listen to this video. If you dont reply and say that it sounds awesome, then you are completely full of shit and you should never post on this or any thread again, ever.

Really, my MDV1 laid that thing into the dust. Great tones, wow, no wonder we have differing opinions. I've been using various vibes for decades, had an original, weak, noisy, and when off sucked the life out of your tone. I can tell you have never really used a DejaVibe much less had it set in front of a good drive or a dirty amp. Puts this to shame. Even your Marshall is weak toned. Again, old must be better, must be something your wife is telling you.

First off judgements made by ear, I can play Robin Tower's Bridge of Sighs and state that is still one of the best guitar tones ever captured. Your stuff is of no relevance. I could set up any pedal and custom its tone to be very good, so what. Trower has been using the Fuller photcell vibes for some time as the best replacement for his old worn on univibe. Of course you know better than him and of course fancy you can play circles around him or any of us. Primary issue of guitar playing is everyone and everything is different, every guitar, amp and pair of hands makes for completely different variability of all pedals. The issue comes done to the assumption nothing made nearly 50 years later can hope to be as good as an aged old outdated circuit which is lucky to be working at all. Parts decades old still better than custom made selected tolerance and tested new parts. Right, you probably still have the body of a 15 yr old.

Like I said stupid opinions, stupid judgements. Who gives a shit you have an overpriced decades old pedal. I had one back before the components were older than most players here. Was not all that great, noisy, tone sucking. Apparently you're not smart enough to put it in a bypass loop when not on, like John Mayer's tech. Gee Trower took the effect as far as it could ever go and funny thing he does not care to use the old original univibe which he must have had a few. Why, is that? Oh yeah, he does not have your magic unit, the best uinivibe of all time which defies age and all notions of primitive circuits of generic components.

Anyone listening to your dribble will find out soon enough who is full of shit, some all ready know. I made simple factual statements, better circuits, better components, higher quality, no noise and bypass wired from an old shitty buffer back before we even knew the problems they caused.
I doubt if we would agree on anything from politics and so on, I live a world of reality and facts, not your old shit is the best myth and lore of a golden age that never was. No car better than the old model T, those damn Lamborghini's just don't sound or run the same. lol

Chonny
09-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Listen, I posted a video from Youtube and you are now just slamming that guy, his amp, and pedal because you think I am him.

Whats up with you? Are you just bitter?

They say playing the guitar is therapeutic.

Plexihead
09-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Lol, I love the Gear Page's VIBE threads!

Any of the good ones...

FoxRox
Sweet Sound
Fulltone
Castledine... etc should be more than enough to attain a great Vibe sound. Just pick the price/form factor/color/graphics and you'll (plural "you") be in Vibe heaven.

Presently I'm using the MDV3 most because I like the built in treadle, but I'd be more than happy with any of the others (also have the Aqua Vibe).

redslim
09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Listen, I posted a video from Youtube and you are now just slamming that guy, his amp, and pedal because you think I am him.

Whats up with you? Are you just bitter?

They say playing the guitar is therapeutic.

Got my shin-ei from a friend and Univibe specialist (plays, owns and repairs loads of them) he had mine mint under his bed. Pretty sure that if something wasnt sounding 100% (bad caps etc...) apart from the sounding differences from unit to unit, he would have fixed it! It sounds just fantastic!! Instant band of gypsies!!

Had another friend and vibe builder (japan) checking it out and he loved it too.

That guy simply came across a bad original and now hes 'assuming' that they all sound like that. He probably said that to himself in the mirror just so many times that now he really believes in it. hahah just agree with him trust me its the best thing to do

ChampReverb
09-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Looking over this thread, some people are just a walking, talking argument on two legs.

I think this one is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h0DJSPdUXU&sns=em
5h0DJSPdUXU&sns=em

-bEn r.

tinkercity
09-15-2013, 12:48 PM

This sounds KILLER. The way a great Uni-Vibe should sound IMHO. My small box Mega Vibe gets that watery thing but there is something extra here with the original. Beautiful. Many modern vibes miss this tone. It's a more subtle thing. It's what separates the UV from a chorus, a vibrato, a phaser etc...

Agileguy_101
09-15-2013, 01:35 PM
I've been loving on my Vibe Machine ever since I got it. Can't get enough of it.

mc_deli
09-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Oh yeah baby
And this one really is the best

Gassin Uface
09-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Seriously, this goes out to all fans and flag wavers of old vintage univibes.
Had one long time ago in its prime, not so great, it was an effort to get a great sound out of it, noisy and no bypass. Ever listen to the old recordings back then, Hendrix's noise level was so high no wonder he played so loud to overcome the signal to noise ratio. The hiss, ground loop hum, it was off the scale. The mythical status really old stuff gets is just too much at times. The reason why we used a lot of this stuff was because we had no choices in the matter. The Univibe was a happy mistake in an attempt to create a leslie pedal, it was a cool sound, would you believe in 45 years we have actually learned a thing or two?

What's my problem? The guy calls me a dip shit idiot and I do not know what I am talking about, further more I should love the sound of something or there is something wrong with me?? Seriously, really, do you all go to the same psychiatrist? Up your meds!
Anyone, anyone, who honestly believes that a 44-45 year old pedal sounds the same as it did in 1969 is more than a brick shy of a load. Aged photocells of 45 years??? My God, logic, reason and science, that is absurd. I've been playing for nearly 40 years, you all must think you are talking to a kid who has never played or owned anything. Don't hate me because I'm pretty.

Compare with new cells and a better circuit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9T06UfP1S0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqZ66bqlFt4

DejaVibe baby! Now I might be talked into trying a Strymon, but a 1969 old pedal, had one, was not so great back then, cannot pretend 44 years of aged photocells and components it sounds better.
If you think one ever sounded better than the MDV3 then you must be having a flashback.

Twangstrom
09-16-2013, 12:35 AM
The OxVibe seems really nice.

peterdjp
09-16-2013, 12:54 AM
The OxVibe seems really nice.
NOS parts also! Looks good.

bandofthieves™
09-16-2013, 01:10 AM
NOS = Normally Over-Stated.

Tompski
09-16-2013, 02:50 AM
Some funny vibes round here.....

Drybell Vibe Machine is the one for me after trying a few of the big hitters out there.

halfmanhalfgear
09-16-2013, 04:54 AM
Anyone have any comments as to where the Mojo Hand Villanova Vibe comes in this list?

I have only just recently learned of its existence and with its tone control, mix control and small enclose it seems to tick a lot of boxes that I would want...

Rootzzound
09-17-2013, 11:32 AM

Any of the good ones...

FoxRox
Sweet Sound
Fulltone
Castledine... etc should be more than enough to attain a great Vibe sound. Just pick the price/form factor/color/graphics and you'll (plural "you") be in Vibe heaven.

Presently I'm using the MDV3 most because I like the built in treadle, but I'd be more than happy with any of the others (also have the Aqua Vibe).

How did u Like ur MDV3 ....? i´m actually very satisfied with mine works very well nice throb nice sweep an i like the liquid transparency on the guitar tone, did u had the chance to a/b it with an older one, or compare it to any other vibe yet....? i only could compare it to my MXR Hendrix Viby an thats 2 different worlds...

cheers

redslim
09-27-2013, 03:19 AM
Sorry for the clipping, it was ridiculously loud in that room but both super reverb and jcm800 were running at the sweet spot :FM

dwZ3tz2o51U

Papajoe
09-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Sorry for the clipping, it was ridiculously loud in that room but both super reverb and jcm800 were running at the sweet spot :FM

dwZ3tz2o51U

The Shin-ei is still the one and only. You can absolutely hear the Hendrix Fillmore vibe even with the clipping.

There's a great MDV-3 demo on YT, but to me it speaks Trower. As for why Trower would switch to a more modern product, it's pretty obvious that for reliability purposes he isn't going to tour with an original Univibe in 2013.

The original has the voodoo. You can hear it plainly on any of the YT videos.

As for new vs. old, the price of a 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 is 1.5 Mil.

Kalalau Hiker
09-28-2013, 07:48 AM
http://wimages.vr-zone.net/2013/09/gold-iPhone.jpg

HEY! you guys are ALL WRONG!! ...... GOLD is BEST.
BEST sound! BEST look! BEST VIBE!
SEE??

Fuller pedal, NOT GOLD!
Mojo whatever, NOT GOLD!
Dry Bell, NOT GOLD!

Foxrox - GREAT name, FOX ROX!! FOX on ARM, you ROCK! ...but PEDAL NOT GOLD!!

check out what Raffi tell you HERE:

n7-RetY7fGo

SEE?
SolidGoldFX is BEST NAME for pedal company, but NO GOLD PEDAL!!!
NO GOLD VIBE!??? ...is BS!!

BEST pedal is GOLD KLON, right ??! GOLD Klon BETTER than silver, EVERYONE knows, right???!!
has waiting line so IS BEST!

see how Raffi fix pedal wait line for you HERE:

9p_FzRW_Vv4

SEE? We LIKE you, so get you BEST GOLD pedal!
you pay TRIPLE for Klon??
No no no no... w get GOLD PEDAL CHEEP for you , only DOUBLE!!
BEST price for you, BEST GOLD PEDAL!

GOLDEN CELLO

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/archives/fb1b0b8d-928b-448e-84b6-1df073a31ad8.JPG?1371672649

SEE?? NOT VIBE you say .. WHO CARES!!
PEDAL IS GOLD, GOLD IS BEST! BEST PEDAL!

THREAD OVER! GOLD is BEST! BEST BEST BEST!

Randolph
09-28-2013, 09:52 AM
http://wimages.vr-zone.net/2013/09/gold-iPhone.jpg

HEY! you guys are ALL WRONG!! ...... GOLD is BEST.
BEST sound! BEST look! BEST VIBE!
SEE??

Fuller pedal, NOT GOLD!
Mojo whatever, NOT GOLD!
Dry Bell, NOT GOLD!

Foxrox - GREAT name, FOX ROX!! FOX on ARM, you ROCK! ...but PEDAL NOT GOLD!!

check out what Raffi tell you HERE:

n7-RetY7fGo

SEE?
SolidGoldFX is BEST NAME for pedal company, but NO GOLD PEDAL!!!
NO GOLD VIBE!??? ...is BS!!

BEST pedal is GOLD KLON, right ??! GOLD Klon BETTER than silver, EVERYONE knows, right???!!
has waiting line so IS BEST!

see how Raffi fix pedal wait line for you HERE:

9p_FzRW_Vv4

SEE? We LIKE you, so get you BEST GOLD pedal!
you pay TRIPLE for Klon??
No no no no... w get GOLD PEDAL CHEEP for you , only DOUBLE!!
BEST price for you, BEST GOLD PEDAL!

GOLDEN CELLO

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/archives/fb1b0b8d-928b-448e-84b6-1df073a31ad8.JPG?1371672649

SEE?? NOT VIBE you say .. WHO CARES!!
PEDAL IS GOLD, GOLD IS BEST! BEST PEDAL!

THREAD OVER! GOLD is BEST! BEST BEST BEST!

Are you high?

Kalalau Hiker
09-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Are you high?

not for 39 years.
do you have a sense of humor? did you watch the videos? it's related parody.

maybe the over importance given certain details on this thread, and the resulting arguments and insults prove what really IS IMPORTANT, so insults are appropriate and humor is not! ;)

Gassin Uface
09-28-2013, 03:36 PM
So plug a decent MDV3 into the same place and fix the clipping. Going to say it does not deliver the tone?
There are 2 ways to run a vibe, Hendrix ran it at the end and Trower has been running his first. There are 2 dramatic different tone possibilities. The Deja works either config and does it well. Having used many vibes over the years, I always keep coming back to the Deja as the better unit. The original had a lot of issues, inconsistent, noisy, sucked signal when off. No two of them were really the same. They were a marvelous new tone back then, unique, love that sound to this day and very big fan of Hendrix's tones and Trower's. If you were to properly set up an accurate A/B using the the Deja you would find it is the real deal and what Fuller has said on his construction is reality.

Remarkable what one has to do to get people to understand what is in something verses their imagination. And by the way many are touring with an old univibe, placed in a bypass loop, like John Mayer. Trower stopped using his because after 40 years the tone has changed with the aged components, verses having them replaced the Deja is simply a new component version with better tech.
Vintage brainwash has its limitations, like paying out the ass for a 50 year old guitar as if it sounds the same, regardless of aging. When they created those legendary tones they were NEW.

Anyone who has taken the time to hook up a Deja or others properly, instead of one sided opinions can easily hear it does the job and I might add the downers are still not a pimple on Trower's ass. Fuller is using custom made select cells and components matched to an optimized sample of original units. Hard to imagine some cannot accept 45 years of aged cells and components cannot be the same the sound as when it was new. It is absurd, so if it sounds good now, god how it must have sounded 45 years ago. You have to try the units yourself and optimize them for your rig. Listening to demos as if that is a proper comparison where everything is infinity variant from the guitar to the amp is absurd.
As always use what works for you but sometimes what one accounts as logic is far wide of reality.

Fulltone's Deja MDV3:
(1969 was not a golden era of technical marvel, it was actually an age of outright inconsistent crap, and to think we cannot back engineer something and improve it in 2013...)

Liquitone
09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
@Gassing Uface; You don't seem to be able to accept redslims original Uni-Vibe could be as good as the DejaVibe. The clipping you hear in that video isn't caused by the pedal but by the recording clipping because of the high volume of the amps. Replacing the Uni-Vibe with the DejaVibe in that video wouldn't fix the clipping.

redslim
09-28-2013, 05:33 PM
@Gassing Uface; You don't seem to be able to accept redslims original Uni-Vibe could be as good as the DejaVibe. The clipping you hear in that video isn't caused by the pedal but by the recording clipping because of the high volume of the amps. Replacing the Uni-Vibe with the DejaVibe in that video wouldn't fix the clipping.

I know man! haha only checked that video when i got home or i would have turned the amps backwards, put them to the side etc... theres also some extra distortion and sparkle in the video that wasnt in the room. The sound was smooth very 3d and with a 'mystic' bottom end. really cool! I also use it with a true bypass looper but just because its easier to switch it on/off not having to step on the speed controller, my unit does not change the bypass signal at all and ive done another video demonstrating that, you can check on my YT account. I wouldnt say it sounds 'just as good' as a MDV3, it sounds a hundred times better!! I had a lot of clones man and the original has something, i mean f**k!! You guys can hear it right?? Its pretty damn clear!! 'Imagination'?? really dude?? I dont care if Mayer uses an original or if Trower uses a MDV3. Be aware that way of thinking can limit your music, you yourself might come across something really great and not take it in account because someone else (Mayer, Trower, etc...) hasnt yet, id take them only as tips. Who cares about what they choose its about you and liking what you hear! I like running with about 70% intensity (kinda settle) if you get to 100% it gets full on! 'Improved'? I dont want anything 'improved' if thats what the MDV3 is! I dont want that!! If the originals are old or primitive etc etc blah blah f**k it, its still incredible! I have quite a few modern pedals in my chain as well and i'm no tech here but i know what i hear and i'm sure you guys can hear it too. It is just a good sounding original unit, yes hard to find but still unbeatable!

ps.: Played a gig with it last week at a massive good sounding venue/room with lots of people and i think it got me high

Gassin Uface
09-29-2013, 11:55 AM

And someone said it would?? As usual the comprehension factor is weak.
If the pedal is not a noise fest then how about a clip without the noise and hiss fest? The quality of clips is ridiculous to be comparing anything at all. As if I could not optimize a Deja and get killer tones like Hendrix or Trower. Hendrix never played a JCM800, never played machine gun sitting down or without a wah pedal so once again comparing what to what???? The variables are infinite. Do a side by side rendering of a bunch of vibe pedals, the Deja is like the original but with optimized components, true bypass, no noise and better headroom.

All I am saying, and let me repeat it, a 45 year old pedal cannot sound like it did 45 years ago. And perhaps you could explain what the old has the new Deja does not??? Other than true bypass and noise reduction from better design it uses choice select cells and components, no two old univibes were the same. Christ I had one, I know what a piece of crap it really was. You guys are stuck on the vintage myth bus. Having been through that era and remembering a lot of those old pedals, amps and guitars, they were never that great to begin with. Hendrix played so loud at times to try and over come the horrible wall of hiss and noise his gear manifested. Spmething to also consider is the impedance in and out of the old univibe, really, there is a little something not taken into accord.

Unlike you, I have owned and used a whole bunch of vibe pedals and the old Univibe, you reject the Deja when it is an exact component circuit using many of the old univibes components but choice select measured cells and rare components, plus bypass, more headroom and no hiss from impedance and bad buffer issues. Having never used a Deja you are making judgement like a teenager, I have one so it must be the best. Personally I would take any number of new tech vibe pedals over a 45 yr old pedal with all its 1969 bad design issues. And seriously your playing is not a pimple on the ass of Trower or Hendrix, just someone sweeping the floor 45 years later imagining how great it must have sounded. Yes, when it was new the unit was extraordinary, but many of them were inconsistent quality as the components were hit and miss in tolerance and quality. There is no car as good as the original model T, whatever man. I am no teenager I've been playing probably longer than you and the amount of weight you give to what I am saying is the same relevance as what you claim, sans of course the logic, reason and science.

Chonny
09-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Gassin Uface, why do you get on here and bitch the day after A&M gets beat. Ive noticed this is a pattern. Texas actually beat Kansas state? Thats a solid win. They are still in the original big 12 (8). I hate rooting for SEC teams.

OU and OSU both suck but you dont see me getting on here and bitching. There was a ridiculous article in Sports Illustrated about Oklahoma State. That really hurts me.

Come on man you dont have to take it out on the vibe thread.

Go to Bleacher Report and troll the writers.

Houston is gonna have an excellent team this NBA season but the Mavericks are gonna suck and that bothers me as a long time Mavs fan. SA will be dominant, go read the Spurs page. It will cheer you up.

Gassin Uface
09-29-2013, 12:32 PM
No idea what you are talking about, I could give a shit less about sports or teams period. Meaningless to my life and reality itself as far as I am concerned.

The issue is one of electronic science, caps, resistors, and such degrade with age much less photocells, that is just a fact. Why in the hell do we change tubes in an amp??? I suppose these cats are using the same tubes in their amps for years and years as the old shit sounds better, right? The tubes in a 1969 Plexi must still be great and they're "vintage", better than anything new.
Ridiculous, assumptions one and all.
1969 give me a break, was there something that did not suck back then we cannot improve upon today? Having been in semiconductor work for many years 45 year old technology is a joke.
You guys are welcome to use what you like and ignore all the valid arguments you like, if 90% of guitar players are not complete idiots I wish they would stop proving it.

Chonny
09-29-2013, 12:47 PM
No the issue here is sports, clearly.

Oklahoma City will have a worse season than last year Im doubting we win even 50 games. The teams management is in a bad problem financially with Perkins contract and lack of production of Ibaka and Sefolosha. Sefolosha isnt much of a financial burden and is a solid defense player. Ibaka hasnt improved much since the 2012 Olympics and that bothers me. This has to be his breakout season or else I suspect Presti will send him packing.

The first preseason game is next week.

I know youre just as excited as I am, its been a long time since Miami won their second title and offseason has been boring with the exception of Dwight Howard leaving the Lakers, a couple of legendary Celtics going to Brooklyn and Doc Rivers to sunny California.

Miami is bolstering their rosters and teams like the Clippers, OKC, Chicago, SA (still bitter from defeat) and Indiana will be ready to go to war with the Heat.

Liquitone
09-29-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry, English isn't my first language and I misread where you said;"So plug a decent MDV3 into the same place and fix the clipping.' I thought you where implying the uni-vibe was the cause of the clipping.

It's true that I haven't owned a bunch of vibe pedals, but I never said I rejected the DejaVibe, I just wanted to clear things up about the clipping in that video.
I don't see where I made judgements like a teenager, I never said the old Uni-Vibe (which I don't have) was better than the MDV3 or any other modern builds ( I liked the MDV3 in a video I saw and also like the sound of the MJM in the pgs demo), I'm just saying it could be AS good as the MDV if the electrolytic capacitors are still good or replaced. As you said no two old Uni-Vibe where the same, so it's very possible redslim happens to have a very good one. (I would love to hear a non-clipping demo of it)

JeromeBGoode
09-29-2013, 12:56 PM
No idea what you are talking about, I could give a shit less about sports or teams period. Meaningless to my life and reality itself as far as I am concerned.

The issue is one of electronic science, caps, resistors, and such degrade with age much less photocells, that is just a fact. Why in the hell do we change tubes in an amp??? I suppose these cats are using the same tubes in their amps for years and years as the old shit sounds better, right? The tubes in a 1969 Plexi must still be great and they're "vintage", better than anything new.
Ridiculous, assumptions one and all.
1969 give me a break, was there something that did not suck back then we cannot improve upon today? Having been in semiconductor work for many years 45 year old technology is a joke.
You guys are welcome to use what you like and ignore all the valid arguments you like, if 90% of guitar players are not complete idiots I wish they would stop proving it.

I like your style

redslim
09-29-2013, 05:27 PM
I like your style

Here is the vid i was talking about (non-clipping) the volume was fairly low as you can even hear the guitar strings: (Check out my crappie old univibe's hiss, noise and how it messes up my signal) note: in the other video i had the vibe before any sort of drive and in this one i had it after, it works more a phaser when u have it after. To me it works best before anything else.
PJsQA-0FVaQ

gopherbroke
09-29-2013, 08:44 PM
the tube vibe is just incredible.

Chonny
09-30-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a MDV. Does that mean I win?

Gassin Uface
09-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Here is the vid i was talking about (non-clipping) the volume was fairly low as you can even hear the guitar strings: (Check out my crappie old univibe's hiss, noise and how it messes up my signal) note: in the other video i had the vibe before any sort of drive and in this one i had it after, it works more a phaser when u have it after. To me it works best before anything else.

Use what floats your boat. I just think it steers confused younger players or those not used to the pedals off on a goose hunt for a mythical magic forest that is basically a flawed concept.
Like a higher end Vibe pedal would not kick ass in anyone's rig. Or having to have an old Klon that costs so much, when there are many exact component circuit mimics available for a decent price, same circuit, virtually identical. I hope you guys are also using shitty cables and low end batteries to capture that authentic vintage thing. Age matters, ask your wife. Things were not so much better back then and my fellow campers, ever seen anything really old that did not have to be refurbished until it was basically like new because the old is not working like was when new if at all.

No one has ever said the Univibe is not the coolest unique modulation to have come down the pipe, but, components fail, age matters, capacitors fail with age, things lose their tolerance specs, photocells degrade, that is just science and electronics.
Despite what it sounds like now, it is 45 years old, it simply does not sound like it did when it was new, and you are damn lucky it is working at all.
How is that not true?

It is not new and anyone who knows anything about the tone sucking issue knows that happens on your clean tone when the unit is OFF. Bypass is a matter of when pedals are OFF, not ON. I hope someone is nearby to hold you when the unit dies, tick, tick, tick. Maybe you can have the components replaced, that is what Fuller used to do before creating the new Deja vibe circuit with better circuit design. Once you get all the aged and failing components replaced congratulations, you'll have a Deja Vibe in a big box.

All this, "hey look how good it sounds" is missing the hard facts and point entirely. It is a 45 year old pedal, electronic components degrade and fail. Van Halen's magic JCM 800 amp had to be reworked after like 10 years for failing and degrading components beyond worn out tubes.

As I said one is dealing with impedence issues of 1969 which are way different than the more 1megohm we see on a lot of pedals these days. The Univibe uses 22K/47K input resistors which darkens the signal quite a bit. Some repairmen have commented replacing the 47K with 1M helps in the tone sucking.
Essential point is that we do not need to keep pushing an aged horse around the track, there are any number of modern tech pedals designed with care in mind to the component tolerances and types. Fuller just happens to be one of the most anal retentive in his efforts to make custom photocells measure out the tolerances and reponse, better heavy duty pot, bypass, higher impedance headroom, original transistors. There are many units which when A/B with the original sound great, bare in mind the original is aged and one is not hearing what it used to sound like when new. If you do have a new pedal sounding just like a 45 year old pedal something is fundamentally wrong with that logic.

So what is the solution, more adjustments for tone on modern units to adjust for all tastes. In the deal with the new Deja and others they allow putting them in front of OD or dirt which changes the overall tone dramatically.

Vibe lovers need not pay a ton of money for a 45 year old pedal much in the same matter one does not have to pay out the ass for an old Klon. Like a Roger Mayer vibe does not whip ass on the old unit or many other cloned vibes. Some guys are stuck in the past as if what they are hearing now was as it was then, that is a completely ridiculous opinion. You old vibe guys are like the old Klon guys except the Klons are not that old, and yet a huge bunch of bucks to recapture vintage when it is an easy matter to get identical circuit mimics with 2013 improvements. Some are certain there is difference in Bill's newer, now defunct, KTR model he made and the older ones when they are identical according to Bill himself. SO vintage more so than anything is a snipe hunt in the magic forest, something that cannot exist. That was then, this is now. Using old does not give you the tones of the old, because back then the stuff was NEW, a seriously flawed conundrum for you money wasters out there.

Hendrix used to use a 25ft coil cable to intentionally add capacitance loading rolling off the high end of his 60s bright ended Strats, you guys might want to duplicate that as well in disregard there are better ways to do that. Adding that to the low impedance resistance of old pedals and there was hardly any high end range left. Shitty batteries, and of course we have to go back to old batteries to get "that tone" so toss your modern power supplies! In 2013 believe it or not we have learned a few things in 45 years. Is anyone pondering how to get great new tones in this time? Is that all we have is living in the past of some mythical golden age?

Stick a modern pedal in any of these old vibe clips and witness the headroom and vibrant quality of new components better impedance and bypass. Most new vibes can be placed anywhere for tone differences.
Ever seen someone run an old vibe into a fuzz or OD. Hendrix had his after because it would not work right otherwise, again impedance issues. It's all a goose egg because if you found a modern vibe that sounds just like an aged Univibe then logic demands that is not right, newer photocells and components sound different so you are chasing something that is fundamentally a flawed concept. Simply witness most units with a "vintage" an "modern" switch, one is reduced lamp voltage and adjusted to simulate an older aged unit, because when new they sounded DIFFERENT.

And yes my friends, using the old unit with modern tech does not indicate the same terrible tone sucking and noise we used to get back in the age of crap, even trying to find quality cables was non-extant. You think we even had quality short patch cables, wow, vintage, what a concept. Reminds me of getting an old car and refurbishing it like NEW.

Input/Output jacks needing replaced simply from years of use
Pedal speed failure on switch or pot, pots get dirty and scratchy
Broken wires in the cable/connectors,45 year old wiring and soldered connections
Defective LFO transistors
Defective lamp drive transistors
Aging electrolytic capacitors (a component that suffers most from aging)
Aging photocell qualities and tolerances

Bottom line: the pedal does not sound like it did, and you are in for a hard fail at any time with modern use. Once you get it repaired at great expense, you will end up with a modern vibe clone in a huge 1969 box.
Vintage is a snipe hunt in the magic forest, anything of that age sooner or later will need reworked. It cannot sound like it did new that is just contrary to electrical physics.
Use what you like, next week when it dies we'll turn up louder to drown out your crying.

My apologies for all the verbose comments. I realize few if any will read it, as reading is something that is rather vintage in this age. I used to be a writer, what can I say I write, I also do my fair share of reading. Do what you like, use what you like, spend what you like, opinions are seldom a matter of a grounding in facts and logic. I am just saying "Vintage" is a snipe hunt in the magic forest.

NewDr.P
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
im loving gassin uface's contributions to this thread and frankly i wish hed post similarly in all tgp threads.

hi TGP, you probably dont remember me but my name is reality. shut up, youre wrong. youre welcome.

bandofthieves™
09-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Best Vibe threads are almost as obvious and funny as the 'Hey guys my name just came up on the wait list for Pedal X and I just sent them 2 million dollars for it,So tell me what I should expect out of this pedal."And about the same mentality.:boxer;)

Papajoe
09-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Regardless of anyone's viewpoint for or against, new vs. old, everyone should be able to appreciate this post if you haven't seen it before:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/restoring-the-jimi-hendrix-univibe/msg206796/#msg206796

bandofthieves™
09-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Regardless of anyone's viewpoint for or against, new vs. old, everyone should be able to appreciate this post if you haven't seen it before:

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/restoring-the-jimi-hendrix-univibe/msg206796/#msg206796
yes it is a good read,But hell man Dave Fox was doing the same thing Back in 1987.Not to forget the TV Repair guy back in the 70's.. History is always more interesting than Current affairs.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/About.html

peterdjp
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM

That's the tone!

B-Nads
09-30-2013, 01:01 PM
I have nowhere enough experience with them to claim it's the best, but I really liked the MJM 60's Vibe.

Dave Fox
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Some of you might enjoy watching this video of a univibe repair:

kjUjT2LmZ-A

JiMB
09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Nice vid Dave^^^

redslim
09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Use what floats your boat. I just think it steers confused younger players or those not used to the pedals off on a goose hunt for a mythical magic forest that is basically a flawed concept.
Like a higher end Vibe pedal would not kick ass in anyone's rig. Or having to have an old Klon that costs so much, when there are many exact component circuit mimics available for a decent price, same circuit, virtually identical. I hope you guys are also using shitty cables and low end batteries to capture that authentic vintage thing. Age matters, ask your wife. Things were not so much better back then and my fellow campers, ever seen anything really old that did not have to be refurbished until it was basically like new because the old is not working like was when new if at all.

No one has ever said the Univibe is not the coolest unique modulation to have come down the pipe, but, components fail, age matters, capacitors fail with age, things lose their tolerance specs, photocells degrade, that is just science and electronics.
Despite what it sounds like now, it is 45 years old, it simply does not sound like it did when it was new, and you are damn lucky it is working at all.
How is that not true?

It is not new and anyone who knows anything about the tone sucking issue knows that happens on your clean tone when the unit is OFF. Bypass is a matter of when pedals are OFF, not ON. I hope someone is nearby to hold you when the unit dies, tick, tick, tick. Maybe you can have the components replaced, that is what Fuller used to do before creating the new Deja vibe circuit with better circuit design. Once you get all the aged and failing components replaced congratulations, you'll have a Deja Vibe in a big box.

All this, "hey look how good it sounds" is missing the hard facts and point entirely. It is a 45 year old pedal, electronic components degrade and fail. Van Halen's magic JCM 800 amp had to be reworked after like 10 years for failing and degrading components beyond worn out tubes.

As I said one is dealing with impedence issues of 1969 which are way different than the more 1megohm we see on a lot of pedals these days. The Univibe uses 22K/47K input resistors which darkens the signal quite a bit. Some repairmen have commented replacing the 47K with 1M helps in the tone sucking.
Essential point is that we do not need to keep pushing an aged horse around the track, there are any number of modern tech pedals designed with care in mind to the component tolerances and types. Fuller just happens to be one of the most anal retentive in his efforts to make custom photocells measure out the tolerances and reponse, better heavy duty pot, bypass, higher impedance headroom, original transistors. There are many units which when A/B with the original sound great, bare in mind the original is aged and one is not hearing what it used to sound like when new. If you do have a new pedal sounding just like a 45 year old pedal something is fundamentally wrong with that logic.

So what is the solution, more adjustments for tone on modern units to adjust for all tastes. In the deal with the new Deja and others they allow putting them in front of OD or dirt which changes the overall tone dramatically.

Vibe lovers need not pay a ton of money for a 45 year old pedal much in the same matter one does not have to pay out the ass for an old Klon. Like a Roger Mayer vibe does not whip ass on the old unit or many other cloned vibes. Some guys are stuck in the past as if what they are hearing now was as it was then, that is a completely ridiculous opinion. You old vibe guys are like the old Klon guys except the Klons are not that old, and yet a huge bunch of bucks to recapture vintage when it is an easy matter to get identical circuit mimics with 2013 improvements. Some are certain there is difference in Bill's newer, now defunct, KTR model he made and the older ones when they are identical according to Bill himself. SO vintage more so than anything is a snipe hunt in the magic forest, something that cannot exist. That was then, this is now. Using old does not give you the tones of the old, because back then the stuff was NEW, a seriously flawed conundrum for you money wasters out there.

Hendrix used to use a 25ft coil cable to intentionally add capacitance loading rolling off the high end of his 60s bright ended Strats, you guys might want to duplicate that as well in disregard there are better ways to do that. Adding that to the low impedance resistance of old pedals and there was hardly any high end range left. Shitty batteries, and of course we have to go back to old batteries to get "that tone" so toss your modern power supplies! In 2013 believe it or not we have learned a few things in 45 years. Is anyone pondering how to get great new tones in this time? Is that all we have is living in the past of some mythical golden age?

Stick a modern pedal in any of these old vibe clips and witness the headroom and vibrant quality of new components better impedance and bypass. Most new vibes can be placed anywhere for tone differences.
Ever seen someone run an old vibe into a fuzz or OD. Hendrix had his after because it would not work right otherwise, again impedance issues. It's all a goose egg because if you found a modern vibe that sounds just like an aged Univibe then logic demands that is not right, newer photocells and components sound different so you are chasing something that is fundamentally a flawed concept. Simply witness most units with a "vintage" an "modern" switch, one is reduced lamp voltage and adjusted to simulate an older aged unit, because when new they sounded DIFFERENT.

And yes my friends, using the old unit with modern tech does not indicate the same terrible tone sucking and noise we used to get back in the age of crap, even trying to find quality cables was non-extant. You think we even had quality short patch cables, wow, vintage, what a concept. Reminds me of getting an old car and refurbishing it like NEW.

Input/Output jacks needing replaced simply from years of use
Pedal speed failure on switch or pot, pots get dirty and scratchy
Broken wires in the cable/connectors,45 year old wiring and soldered connections
Defective LFO transistors
Defective lamp drive transistors
Aging electrolytic capacitors (a component that suffers most from aging)
Aging photocell qualities and tolerances

Bottom line: the pedal does not sound like it did, and you are in for a hard fail at any time with modern use. Once you get it repaired at great expense, you will end up with a modern vibe clone in a huge 1969 box.
Vintage is a snipe hunt in the magic forest, anything of that age sooner or later will need reworked. It cannot sound like it did new that is just contrary to electrical physics.
Use what you like, next week when it dies we'll turn up louder to drown out your crying.

My apologies for all the verbose comments. I realize few if any will read it, as reading is something that is rather vintage in this age. I used to be a writer, what can I say I write, I also do my fair share of reading. Do what you like, use what you like, spend what you like, opinions are seldom a matter of a grounding in facts and logic. I am just saying "Vintage" is a snipe hunt in the magic forest.

First off i bought my klon when it wasnt overhyped like it is now. My vibe doesnt sound like it used to? well it still sounds much closer to a hendrix record than a MDV3.

Ive been playing gigs/recordings with it and the sound and how it inspires me pays off. If it breaks on me, i dont care, i'll fix it then if i dont like the way it sounds i'll probably sell it. Life is short, i'm young and i make money with my music so yeah i do whatever i want with it.

and i'm pretty sure i know how to use the gear i have as you can hear the tone i'm getting. It did take me awhile to figure how to use the klon tho. Not everyone buys overhyped pedals because of the hype.

redslim
09-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Some of you might enjoy watching this video of a univibe repair:

kjUjT2LmZ-A

Thanks for posting this Dave! Kick ass vid! It still has THAT sound that i'm taking about even after you have replaced two of the photocells. A bit darker than mine i guess but that could just have been the video but great sounding unit and well done bringing it back to life.

peterdjp
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
No question about it, they all sound different.

Sun Creature
10-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Best bang for your buck:
-VL Vibe
-BBE Soul Vibe

Best all around:
-Fulltone
-MJM

Gassin Uface
10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
I doubt very seriously if any guitar players are members of Mensa.
Whatever chaps. Have at it. If you do not know what is ridiculous then live with within your paradigm,
Look inside the internals of most pedals. The Deja is the optimized real univibe circuit, it is the same thing but from a 2013 perspective of NEW, and true bypass. Does not sound like a '69, I suspect that is so, as a '69 does not sound like it did 45 years ago. If you are comparing a new pedal to a 45 year old one somehow the perspective is skewed off the scale. The old pedal does not sound like it did so why would a new pedal with fresh cells and components sound like it? Problem is it sounds like the '69 did when it was new. Fuller has compensated for this conundrum of time travel with the "vintage", "modern" switch which dogs down the lamp and cells to an "aged" output. Maybe you guys just have too much wax in your ears.

The whole thing is a fruitbasket, comparing unlike objects, not accounting for many variables, and presuming ones ears are a benchmark of measurement in judging, as we all know your hearing is just the same as it was 45 years ago as well. And of course every musician has perfect hearing and years and years of guitar volume has had no effect at all. You guys must EQ your studio by ear never having heard of spectrum frequency analysis.

Not knowing how to really use a Vibe or much less having the ability to play accordingly is perhaps a variable few consider when weighing issues. I love the cat who was listening intently to uploads on a high end stereo system listening for which was the better pedal. Wow. How does that pass the smell test?
Like Robin Trower does not have a clue when it comes to a Univibe, really???

Like I said open them all up compare the internals. There will be one unit which uses the original transistors and custom optimized cells and lamp.
I was just looking at the Deja compared to the new Depths unit so many like. Right there the transistors, caps and 4 photocells and lamp on the board compared with, where are the cells?
Electrolytic capacitors , transistors, resistors and especially photocells suffer from age and failure. If one measured the values of that 45 year old pedal it would be apparent how stupid the argument really is.
Is no one able to comprehend Fuller has custom measured cells made, original NOS Mashushita parts and a select lamp so much so most vibes in 1969 were inconsistent variable units. The components varied in tolerance unit to unit. Fuller has made an effort to optimize the components and circuit. No other unit goes to that level of tech.

Nothing ages, right, why all of you are just the same 45 years ago, and your wife is beautiful and your kids smart, I doubt it. Good luck, it's all a bloody waste of time anyway. Many would not know a good pedal if they stepped on it. If you can't hear how your tone sucks, it is impossible to improve it, much less the opinions of non musicians as to how gear sounds. Really?

Personally 1969 was what it was, it was not a golden age of magical musical equipment, most gear really sucked and was noisy and poor quality. Once in a while you came across a magic unit of an amp or perhaps a mythical univibe but having two of the same was a dramatic indication there was no quality control and consistency at hand. Looking to the past for golden tones of lore is what it is. I wish you luck in the snipe hunt.

Gassin Uface
10-07-2013, 04:26 PM
You vintage guys will love this rare find. A 1967 Yashito SpudVibe.
The original pedal that inspired it all.

OH my god, the sustain, the headroom, original vintage parts...

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/3238/x9gu.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/8321/3ziv.jpg

This is for sale at $1750 believed to be a one of kind mint condition, never played Yashito the external power plug is a new upgrade as the old battery corroded the snap compartment,
Let the bids begin...

Stratobuc
10-07-2013, 04:44 PM
You might want a Midol.

chrismellotron
10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
I own both a Shin-ei and a Fulltone MDV2. Here's the comparison...

Shin-ei = 3D (vintage Trower, peak Hendrix)
MDV2 = 2D (aging Trower, dead Hendrix)

redslim
10-07-2013, 04:50 PM
It turns out that ears age too