PDA

View Full Version : Evertune on a PRS SC245 pics

oddguitar
10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
After many requests for pictures, I finally got around to taking some pictures of my PRS with the Evertune bridge installed. In my mind it is the most significant advance in guitar hardware since the Floyd Rose. I literally have not tuned this guitar since getting it back from the install many months ago. It also has the most spectacular intonation of any guitar I've ever played, outside of a guitar with a True Temperament neck that I tried.

In addition to having the Evertune installed, I also had the volumes switched so I can reach the bridge pickup volume with my pinky. I also had the bridge volume pot replaced with a Shadow Killpot, which is very cool for stutter effects (although it is a bit scratchy). Finally I had the bridge tone replaced with a Stellartone Tonestyler, which is a really cool way to get more useful tones out of your guitar.

Anywho, I really recommend the Evertune, as it allows you to forget about the hassle of tuning and focus completely on playing and enjoying your instrument. I really wish some of the boutique builders would start offering it as an option on their instruments....hint hint ;)

Before everyone gets all up in arms about the amount of wood carved out of the instrument and the difference in feel, here is your answer: it sounds even better than before the install & the guitar plays exactly the same, only it never goes out of tune.

The only thing that could make it better, would be a tremolo version, but I'm not sure that's possible to do.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0740.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0744.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0746.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0747.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0748.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0749.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0754.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/oddguitar/DSCN0757.jpg

matte
10-19-2011, 02:38 PM
After many requests for pictures, I finally got around to taking some pictures of my PRS with the Evertune bridge installed. In my mind it is the most significant advance in guitar hardware since the Floyd Rose. I literally have not tuned this guitar since getting it back from the install many months ago. It also has the most spectacular intonation of any guitar I've ever played, outside of a guitar with a True Temperament neck that I tried.since when did tuning an instrument become such an inconvenience? i hear north and south indian musicians continually tuning their instruments in the course of playing extremely demanding music.

Before everyone gets all up in arms about the amount of wood carved out of the instrument and the difference in feel, here is your answer: it sounds even better than before the install & the guitar plays exactly the same, only it never goes out of tune.

dino,

could you please define "better" in concrete terms?

Ashe
10-19-2011, 02:56 PM
looks neat, whats the cost of that bridge system?

oddguitar
10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
The bridge is called Evertune and costs about $330 plus the install. It's not cheap, but IMHO well worth it. Like most new technology, the more people adopt it, the cheaper it will get.

As far as tuning not being an issue, that depends on the player. Some find it more bothersome than others. Most high-end boutique guitars like Grosh, Suhr or Tyler guitars stay in excellent tune, but will go out eventually even if not played because of changes in temperature and humidity. That's just the nature of the beast....unless you have an Evertune. I can play the PRS for hours at a time with lots of overbends and it never goes out. I can go for weeks without playing it, pick it up and it's in perfect tune.

The installation imparted a touch more clarity to tone, which I like.

Recently, I took the PRS to one of the most revered boutique guitar dealers in the country, and the owner was just flabbergasted. His reaction was, and I quote, "the guitar has finally become like the keyboard, where you don't ever have to worry about the tuning".

Where it really shines is in the studio or live. I can see this as a godsend for smaller acts who can't afford a full-time guitar tech on the road.

If you want to see real-world gigging musicians and producers who think that the benefits of not having to tune their guitar is a cool thing, check out Evertune's artist roster at http://evertune.com/artists.html

-oddguitar

LAVALLE
10-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Great looking SC!! That bridge in MY OPINION may be functionally superior (I have no experience with them), but if the standard PRS bridge was Sofia Vergara, the Evertune looks like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. That is one fugly piece of hardware by my estimation. But really, can you trust the opinion of a 40 year old guy that still plays hair-metal on pointy guitars? :rotflmao

Seriously I am glad that you dg it. That's all that matters.;)

oddguitar
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Great looking SC!! That bridge in MY OPINION may be functionally superior (I have no experience with them), but if the standard PRS bridge was Sofia Vergara, the Evertune looks like Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. That is one fugly piece of hardware by my estimation. But really, can you trust the opinion of a 40 year old guy that still plays hair-metal on pointy guitars? :rotflmao

Seriously I am glad that you dg it. That's all that matters.;)

Hehe...that was funny. I'll admit that it doesn't look that great, but it's something I'm willing to overlook for the benefits.

I will say that the Strat & Tele versions are much more appealing than the Gibson style. Of all of them, probably the Tele version is the best looking.

P.S. I love to play hair-metal too...just not on pointy guitars ;)

-oddguitar

LAVALLE
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm glad you took it as it was intended. That's always a crapshoot when your trying to be funny in writing. Your right on. Tone is paramount. Who cares what it looks like as long as it sounds good. I seem to recall a young man making some pretty glorious noise with a hideous red and white striped guitar. I think he did ok.

atquinn
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
The only thing that could make it better, would be a tremolo version, but I'm not sure that's possible to do...

I thought I read somewhere that they were working on a tremolo version? For me getting my hardtails in tune is no biggie, but having something like that in a tremolo could be a complete Gamechanger (Ernie Ball™ :D).
-
Austin

oddguitar
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
atquinn,

I've heard rumors, but I'm not sure if they're true.....I sure hope so though :dude

-oddguitar

speedyone
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
From the Evertune website FAQs:

Any plans for a trem version?

Yes, we will have a trem version in the future.

I'm betting that probably won't happen for another couple years, though.

When I'm done taking care of my international adoption expenses, I'll be getting an Evertune bridge installed in my Strat for sure!

Matte asked earlier if tuning was really such a problem-- I think for a select few of us who are really attuned to micro changes in tuning, while going from big bends back to chordal passages in the same song, it can be highly frustrating hearing out-of-tune notes.

Some would say being slightly out of tune can create character or nuance, but the obsessive compulsive part of my nature detests it.

Well, one example I can think of (for me personally,) where an out-of-tune instrument sounds good, is the song Bells For Her by Tori Amos:

LvlhrUoybYc

matte
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
don't get it twisted.

clearly you misunderstood my post. i never advocated for being "slightly out of tune".

a musician can tune on the fly. after all, guitars doing having tuning machines, no?

sitarists, veena players, etc. tune on the fly, in the middle of ragas, under much more musically demanding circumstances than those commonly found in "popular" western music. check out 4:52 for an example, but check out the skillset of the sitarist. are you pushing your guitar to the same limits?

DsGD3l0F7ho

as far as "micro changes" i've studied and performed turkish classical music, which has upward of 36 notes in an octave, so "micro tones" are the coin of the realm there.

your post seemed to insinuate a certain lack of pitch sensitivity, when the equal and opposite is true.

Matte asked earlier if tuning was really such a problem-- I think for a select few of us who are really attuned to micro changes in tuning, while going from big bends back to chordal passages in the same song, it can be highly frustrating hearing out-of-tune notes.

Some would say being slightly out of tune can create character or nuance, but the obsessive compulsive part of my nature detests it.

big mike
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Hmm. I'll stick with the 2tek. Interesting application though, glad you dig it.

splatt
10-20-2011, 04:09 PM
check out Evertune's artist roster at http://evertune.com/artists.html

errrmmm.....
aren't most of them "shills", by the quasi-definition constantly alluded-to within your sig?

i'm just wondering, while wandering;
no harm intended, really.

fritferret
10-20-2011, 04:47 PM
they've got to get that logo off the bridge.

morren
10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
This would drive Eric Johnson completely insane.

That guy would have absolutely no idea what to do with the twenty minutes he normally spends tuning between five-minute songs...

oddguitar
10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
errrmmm.....
aren't most of them "shills", by the quasi-definition constantly alluded-to within your sig?

i'm just wondering, while wandering;
no harm intended, really.

Splatt,

No offense taken :cool:....the difference is that these artists are making it clear they are endorsing the product. I have a problem with people posing as regular joe's with a hidden marketing agenda....

-oddguitar

fetishfrog
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
a musician can tune on the fly. after all, guitars doing having tuning machines, no?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the whole point of this bridge is it allows you to avoid having to re-tune on the fly. Just because we can tune on the fly doesn't mean a piece of technology that prevents the need to do so shouldn't be welcomed.

oddguitar
10-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the whole point of this bridge is it allows you to avoid having to re-tune on the fly. Just because we can tune on the fly doesn't mean a piece of technology that prevents the need to do so shouldn't be welcomed.

This

speedyone
10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
your post seemed to insinuate a certain lack of pitch sensitivity, when the equal and opposite is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyone

No offense intended Matte-- indeed, my post was not intended to convey anything other than that I personally dislike my instrument going out of tune, and find it a great distraction. I would rather not have to retune any strings in the middle of the song. I certainly can, and do after many years of playing, but I find it quite a nuisance.

I did not mean to imply that no one else notices when strings are out of tune, or those whose tuning isn't near "perfect" are any less good of musicians...there are MANY songs in which imperfect tuning has no negative bearing on the song whatsoever, and they are in fact masterpieces.

I opted for using Floyds for awhile, as they offered me the greatest tuning stability, but didn't care for the tone or "playability" as much as vintage style trems.

My interest in the Evertune is that it claims to keep perfect tuning, and that would be quite enjoyable for me!

Though some people use the term "obsessive-compulsive" in joking terms, for me, it is an actual condition I live with. So for me, one less thing to worry over is a good thing!

:)

Paul86
10-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Me thinks these evertune guys are on the right track. As soon as I win my Loto prize (I've been investing in these babies for over 40 years now), I'll have them design one of those who can play 'Mustang Sally' - now that's technology working for you!

Jove
10-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Eh...I remember playing one of the prototypes in one of the designers had or something. And I'm with Splatt here. It's not a big deal for me to tune up my guitar and keep it in tune. If it goes out of tune, then I have to play it in tune. I personally enjoy the little quirks of the guitar as an instrument and truthfully, when I play any guitar that has any type of "perfect tuning" system, I think I always sound a little out because I'm used to playing a traditional guitar and making it work.

Not to mention, I change tunings a lot on the same guitar throughout a set. Never bothers anyone. I feel like it would be a hassle to do with the Evertune.

Don't mean to detract from your excitement though because I can see how this would work for people who enjoy the fixed aspect of not having to worry about it. So congrats!

Playing the guitar is like a roller coaster ride to me though, a little scary, a little fun, a little dangerous.

J

speedyone
10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Back to the original poster--

How did they install the Evertune without a huge route in the front or back of the guitar?

I am perplexed by this, as all the guitars I have ever seen with one (including Evertune's own "demo 1/2 guitar") all show an enormous route... yet your routing isn't visible.

In the coming year, I want to buy a semi hollow guitar, but I didn't know if it would be possible to put an Evertune into it given the large route that I THOUGHT would be necessary for the Evertune. (I'm looking into a Carvin Holdsworth H2 model).

Hmmmm....

speedyone
10-30-2011, 07:25 PM
AND another question for the O.P.--

When you rest your hand, do you place your palm on the strings, or on the larger part of the bridge itself?

Did it take getting used to, or having to change your muting technique at all with this different bridge? Like if you rest your palm on the strings in front of the bridge, or part of your palm touches the saddles, will the tuning be affected?

oddguitar
10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
speedyone,

If you watch this Youtube video, it shows how they do the Gibson-style routing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIwiXL05-70

They route underneath the top top the guitar, so it looks like there isn't much routing done, but there is. It's actually pretty clever how they worked it out.

Getting used to it will depend a little on your playing technique. My playing style is such that I never rest my fingers or palm on the guitar unless I'm palm-muting, so for me it is no different than playing any other guitar. I do rest my forearm on the edge of the guitar, which creates problems for me with all carvetop LP-style guitars including this one :(

I hope this helps.

-oddguitar

Pietro
10-31-2011, 12:36 PM
One of the boutique builders got one and tried it in a guitar and, although I think he didn't expect it to be that great, it was, in fact.

Very promising. I wouldn't spend that money on one, and don't mind tuning my guitars, but I don't play 1 hour sets, either.

narad
10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm all for advances in bridge technology, but that thing looks absolutely horrendous. Function doesn't have to fully neglect form. Of course, I'd still like to try it.

Less chrome + no logo + Hannes bridge type mount pleeeez.

Jerrod
10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
A brushed look would be nice.

oddguitar
10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
A brushed look would be nice.

I've seen one brushed to look reliced, so it is possible to blend it in a little more.

Check it out here: http://www.nstuffmusic.com/p-14283-pns-custom-fender-50s-road-worn-telecaster.aspx

-oddguitar

jazzguitar
10-31-2011, 06:54 PM
I'd figure the cost is $330 + installation + devaluation of the instrument (which will be a lot). Ooof, that thing is fugly!

Frenster
11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
I remember that guitar, I did the install!

The Evertune guys are working on some major refinements with the mechanical and aesthetic design as well as trying to bring down the parts and installation costs. They have a 7 string model and are also working to get a bass model out. After that, I think they will concentrate on incorporating a vibrato system, which, if you understand the technology, ain't so easy.

I've been installing this system on many professional and touring guitars for the past year and haven't had one complaint about anything. Only praise about how well it works. There are some limitations to the technology, although few people would find that limit. Overall, it is a HUGE step in the right direction and works as advertised. In my opinion, true game-changing innovation.

torquil
11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
So, is it based on a spring-pulley type arrangement in order to maintain constant tension on the strings?

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso-elastic

Frenster
11-10-2011, 11:52 AM
So, is it based on a spring-pulley type arrangement in order to maintain constant tension on the strings?

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso-elastic

Pretty much. Springs and levers maintain constant string tension. Works like a charm.