PDA

View Full Version : Great 2 channel Plexi amp ?

StevenStrat
10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm looking for marshall super lead plexi tone and voicing, with a good clean channel as well. Master volume is preferred..

I like 100w amps generally, and I use an Fx loop as well.

Suggestions ? It really has to nail a vintage plexi tone, along with a great clean channel.

Thanks !

jokerjkny
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
first,

bogner ecstasy!

Roe
10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
a stock superlead has a good clean sound when you turn down the guitar volume. a good plexi sounds way better than a bogner if you ask me

octatonic
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
CAA PT50.
Not exactly a Plexi but with the feedback low and on whomp 1 it is pretty damn close.

StevenStrat
10-25-2011, 03:25 PM
first,

bogner ecstasy!
I tried that one, didn't like it all that much. Not voiced like a plexi really.

GCDEF
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I used to have a mid-70s Super Lead, and recently had a JVM. While I never heard them side by side, the JVM could sound very similar from what I remember.

freaksho
10-25-2011, 03:45 PM
i'm gonna out myself here but i've never played a plexi or metal panel (:o) but my Bogner Goldfinger 45 is supposed to be voiced in that realm more than any of the other Bogners. sounds pretty classic to me. i don't know whether the feel compares though. the 45W version is 4x6V6 tubes but there is also a 90 watt version with 4xEL34 which might be even closer to a Marshall i dunno.

Rogue
10-25-2011, 03:51 PM
3rd Power British Dream. Two channel, one voiced like a AC30 and the other a 68 plexi. At the Nashville amp show, he had the AC30 sounding pretty clean and the plexi sounding pretty plexi. You have to have an AB box going into each channel and use that as the switcher though.

Excellent master. Great sounding amp. Pricey.

Braciola
10-25-2011, 03:52 PM
- Category 5 Isabelee

- Henning Plexrod 100

- Landry LS100

gibson08
10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
- Category 5 Isabelee

- Henning Plexrod 100

- Landry LS100
Nice choices, I will add Jenelle.

gibson08
10-25-2011, 05:47 PM
first,

bogner ecstasy!
Nope.

Chicken_feed
10-25-2011, 05:53 PM
The thing about plexis is that you really don't need channel switching because it has such a nice clean tone when you turn your guitar down.

FlamingTop
10-25-2011, 07:01 PM
If you really need two channels, I think the Landry is a good choice

sinasl1
10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm looking for marshall super lead plexi tone and voicing, with a good clean channel as well. Master volume is preferred..

I like 100w amps generally, and I use an Fx loop as well.

Suggestions ? It really has to nail a vintage plexi tone, along with a great clean channel.

Thanks !

If you want it to "nail" a plexi- then you need a NMV type amp.

As a previous poster said- you just turn down your guitar volume for cleans.

The thing about Plexis- they are so frigging DYNAMIC. Like, every single thing you do with your hands, and your guitar, pickups, effects, etc they all get amplified to a greater degree than with a more preamp-gain based type amp that has a master.

I have a theory that that is why Page, EVH, Angus Young, Clapton, Hendrix, Blackmore, etc etc could all use Marshalls and yet sound so different. Yes I know some used JTM 45's and some used Superleads etc etc but I'm noticing through my own experimentation that the thing you really get out of a NMV Marshall, no matter what variety, is CHARACTER. Your style and your choice of guitar and efx will really come through.

This is a harder thing to achieve on an amp with more preamp gain and a master. That "wild" quality and character. It's not necessarialy better either- just different, there's pros and cons. NMV plexi type amps are loud, unruly, less consistent from room to room (where'd my tone go? it was great last night!!") etc etc etc..... There's something to be said for multi-channel amps with efx loops and switching, they are in many ways more gig friendly and controllable for sure!!!

I think my PT100 amp does a great old school Marshall thing, while having an awesome clean. The latest prototype I have here of the new version is tweaked, modded and maybe even more "plexi" like. I can get really close to that tone, basically. BUT when I turn up my Suhr SL68 (a plexi underneath the hood in Suhr clothing), there's that wild thing, it's a beast- and it'll respond to rolling volume on the guitar down like crazy, I mean like I can dime the thing and it's VH all the way and then I can roll down my guitar volume to 3 and hit the neck single coil or the #2 position and its crystal clean and Hendrix, basically, amazing. It's just different.

One thing you might consider is a plexi type amp with a tweaked bass channel that you could a/b the treble channel with- get it so it's voiced brighter than normal. Usually they are kinda dark, and only work when jumpered/blended with the treble channel but they can be made to sound really nice by themselves. Friedman sort of did this on his Variplex I think- just use an a/b between the two. Then get an attenuator and away you go.

But if you need an FX loop, master volumes, etc etc. well you are then getting into PT100/Landry/Friedman Brown Eye/etc etc, amps like that.

If you want the control of a preamp gain type amp (control over volume, using time based fx etc) but want the crazy plexi thing- consider slaving a plexi into your fx and another power amp. This feels and sounds just awesome and is a tried and true old school method... I've been doing this at home a lot lately and it is uber fun. This way can do bedroom volume even with a plexi if you want!

skunx
10-26-2011, 01:23 AM
I'd like to check out Ceriatone's AFD amp.

Cosmik de Bris
10-26-2011, 08:01 PM
JVM is pretty good. There are Plexi mods for it around but it is pretty good without. Good clean and high gain stuff as well, two assignable master volumes, serial and switchable parallel loop, two assignable reverbs, Midi switching. Very versatile especially if you gig.

Marc Roy
10-26-2011, 09:15 PM
PWE Event Horizon. Not quite a Plexi but it does the trick. Ted can voice the clean channel like an old JMP so it really gets into vintage Marshall territory when you crank it.

jokerjkny
10-27-2011, 01:53 AM
I tried that one, didn't like it all that much. Not voiced like a plexi really.

i tried.

B-Squared
10-27-2011, 06:21 AM
You should check out the Landry LS100. Great tone. The OD channel can get you from a JTM45 to the most hot-rodded JCM800 you've ever heard. :D

Also has a clean channel that reminds me of a Fender Blackface...somewhere between a Super Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb.

BB