PDA

View Full Version : i have $900 on a layaway a Daddys.

axelfoley
10-27-2011, 06:15 AM
So am I screwed or what? Was picking away at a Taylor 314ce.
Just dropped 3 bills on it last weekend. They closed the doors yesterday.

CharlieS
10-27-2011, 06:18 AM
So am I screwed or what? Was picking away at a Taylor 314ce.
Just dropped 3 bills on it last weekend. They closed the doors yesterday.

Quick...put it on the emporium for $ 450. :omg

Unfortunately, you may be SOL. Fred Bramante mentioned pending legal issues. This likely means Bankruptcy. You can get in line as a creditor, but there's a good chance you'll get nothing more than a fraction of your credit--if that.

plexistack
10-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Go Goodfellas on 'em.

Matt L
10-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Oh man, that sucks. I did a layaway last year with them. I can imagine how pissed I would be if they had $900 of mine.

germs
10-27-2011, 07:16 AM
go kick the f*cking door in and take what's owed to you.

that's if the employees haven't already taken the good stuff already.

...don't think i'm joking, either. i worked for a guitar shop that went belly up about 12 years ago. you would be amazed at the stuff that walked through the back door on the last day.

mark norwine
10-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Just wondering: What happens if you had an amp or guitar in there for repairs?

dmw319
10-27-2011, 07:25 AM
im kind of lost.. what happened?

mark norwine
10-27-2011, 07:28 AM
They unexpectedly closed all stores & turned off the website last night at 8PM

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=975994

axelfoley
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Just wondering: What happens if you had an amp or guitar in there for repairs?

Was wondering that too.

The real kick in the junk is that I was there Monday night. I was going to pick up a Taylor 214ce I had on layaway. After some discussion with one of the managers I decided to go with the 314ce. I didn't know the 214's were made in Mexico. I am not into paying a grand for a Mexican made guitar so I opted to go for the next model up made in US, which happened to be a killer guitar. I was going to pick it up this weekend. So instead of walking out with a guitar I walked away from 900 clams.

fisticuffs
10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
I was going to pick it up this weekend. So instead of walking out with a guitar I walked away from 900 clams.

I'd make some phone calls if I were you. They aren't likely to completely screw you until the long drawn out legal processes are underway. Some reasonable human being should be able to get you your guitar or your money back. You haven't lost that money until you've tried and failed to do something about it.

Wuchak
10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
I had a guitar on lay-away at a local store that was siezed for not paying taxes. I received a call from the KS Tax Department at 2 PM informing me that I had until 6 PM to show up at the shop with cash for the outstanding balance if I wanted the guitar. If I didn't pick it up it would go to auction with the rest of the items and I would have to get in line with the rest of the creditors to get my money back.

I'd get on the phone and find out what the process is for either getting your money back or paying the remainder and getting the guitar. Usually they would prefer to have you pay it off and take it since that increases the pot of cash for the other creditors. Good luck.

axelfoley
10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I have made a few calls, no answers. Hopefully there will be more info available in the next few days.

DGTCrazy
10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
go kick the f*cking door in and take what's owed to you.

that's if the employees haven't already taken the good stuff already.

...don't think i'm joking, either. i worked for a guitar shop that went belly up about 12 years ago. you would be amazed at the stuff that walked through the back door on the last day.

:facepalm

drolling
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
:facepalmyeah.. While i wouldn't exactly go along with what he's suggesting, I've seen more than one music store go under, and in almost every case, much of *the good stuff* went out thru' the staff exit at quitting time

Beat Up G
10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
That sucks! Sorry to hear that bro. Good luck with calls.

Grab these guys and kick in the door!:mob

opdev
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM
If you put it on your credit card, just call the card company asap.

overunderdrive
10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
:facepalm

yeah, you only facepalm that idea because you didn't just get reamed out of $900.

overunderdrive
10-27-2011, 12:04 PM
If you put it on your credit card, just call the card company asap.

this is a great lesson, btw.

you literally never know what tomorrow will bring, so never, ever give up cash unless it's in exchange for merchandise in-hand.

special orders, layaway, down-payments, etc...credit card only.

BCRich86
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
a little ore on the closing:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/937576-196/daddys-junky-music-abruptly-closes-its-12.html# (http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/937576-196/daddys-junky-music-abruptly-closes-its-12.html)

axelfoley
10-27-2011, 12:55 PM
a little ore on the closing:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/937576-196/daddys-junky-music-abruptly-closes-its-12.html# (http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/937576-196/daddys-junky-music-abruptly-closes-its-12.html)

Thanks for posting that. Gives me a little hope. I have called the office in manchester a few times already and left a message for Fred.

BCRich86
10-27-2011, 12:58 PM
no problem man, I'd be freaking out too.

Good Luck.

TheRockDoc
10-27-2011, 09:13 PM
New favorite quote:

"Daddy’s founder Fred Bramante said his business was crippled by Internet sales where they don’t have to collect a sales tax, saving customers money. Ironically, Bramante’s business took off in 1972 because was it based in New Hampshire and customers didn’t have to pay sales tax."

screamtone
10-28-2011, 01:11 AM
In 2008, two former employees sued Daddy’s Junky Music, claiming the company’s compensation package for managers didn’t meet the standards outlined in Massachusetts law, Bramante said.

Then...

“We thought there was nothing to this, that it was really a semantics issue on what the definition of a manager was,” he said.

But...

So Daddy’s Junky Music settled, but Bramante said he went a step further. He wrote checks to every manager at Daddy’s Junky Music’s 20 stores...

To recap... possibly violated labor/compensation laws for manager pay, then says what makes a "manager" is semantics, then settles out of court with everyone who has the title of "manager." Interesting.

Nurk2
10-28-2011, 06:47 AM
To recap... possibly violated labor/compensation laws for manager pay, then says what makes a "manager" is semantics, then settles out of court with everyone who has the title of "manager." Interesting.

“I didn’t want anybody in my company distrusting me,” he said. “I didn’t want anybody thinking, ‘Well, you just have to threaten to sue Daddy’s to get money.’ So we paid everybody, even former employees who hadn’t worked for me for years, whether we owed it or not.”

The decision cost him $600,000 to $700,000, Bramante said.
“It was all the cash we had,” he said. “Then the recession hit us. We went into it with basically no money.”

Bramante thought he could earn the money back in a few years. Then the company was “blindsided” by the recession, he said.
“It was stupid on my part, but I felt it was the honorable thing to do,” Bramante said. “I had no idea what was coming.

Teleplayer
10-28-2011, 06:58 AM
As a guy that is a C-Level in a successful turnaround; bankruptcies are never ever an issue of no cash. They occur because of bad management and bad management decisions.

My instincts tell me the OP's lost money will be part of pre-petition debt if the company files any type of BK. This result in the OP standing in line with all the other creditors; and money will likely be doled out sometime in to the future by a Creditor's Committee in conjunction with approval from the BK court/judge.

Maybe JD will secure another investor, considering they are going into the busy season.

BCRich86
10-28-2011, 07:04 AM
My boss told me this morning that as he was driving buy one on the way home yesterday, there were already trucks there unloading the store.

axelfoley
10-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Yeah, they are cleaning them out. Looks like no Taylor for this guy.

axelfoley
10-28-2011, 07:24 AM
They had been advertising layaway til Christmas. I feel for people that have Christmas funds tied up there.

myanocsk
10-28-2011, 07:31 AM
The store stock is the property of GE Money. It will go to liquidation. The OP will have to take this to the bankruptcy hearing and get in line.

The 2008 "manager" issue was a pretty big deal and Radio Shack's case made even big corporations nervous and they all settled before getting taken to the cleaners. What he says was voluntary In the interview was not voluntary. If they'd gone to court he'd have had to pay both lawyers as well as compensation. People were called managers so as not to pay them overtime. It was a great way to save money for companies in the late 90's but it bit a lot of these companies in the a@$.

The negotiations with GE Money have obviously been going on for a while. They closed stores a while back. But for the last few years it's been pretty slim pick ins in the stores. Things have also changed considerably since Mars Music left the big boys hanging, (Taylor, Martin, Gibson and Fender) when they closed stiffing these guys for hundreds of thousands. The financing got harder to come by.

moosewayne
10-28-2011, 07:47 AM
.....and the musical gear biz stays as sleazy as ever......

Fred Farkus
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
.....and the musical gear biz stays as sleazy as ever......

Yup. Just as expected...

kanderson
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Bummer man. That really bites. I hope you get your money somehow. GL!

ScottR
11-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Has anything panned out on this?

turtleheadblues
11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
If less than 200 of us paypaled the OP 5 bucks problem fixed. I am in. Could happen to any of us and this is the right forum. I might be able to find a Taylor dealer to give the OP a deal.

TommyGuitar
11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
PM your PP addy!!

Watersedge1234
11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
If less than 200 of us paypaled the OP 5 bucks problem fixed. I am in. Could happen to any of us and this is the right forum. I might be able to find a Taylor dealer to give the OP a deal.

I'm in...

vintage saddles
11-03-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm in for 5.

axelfoley
11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Wow guys, that is a huge gesture. There may still be hope for a refund or me getting the guitar. Nothing has been said about layaways by ge yet. The other local Taylor dealer said he would talk to the rep for me and see if there was some kind of break they could cut me due to the circumstances.

I honestly would feel a little funny taking anyone's money. It was a luxury purchase not something I needed. It will be a good while before I am in the market for a Taylor though unless I get a refund.

Thanks guys, this place is truly awesome.
Shawn

Wuchak
11-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd be in for $5

CharlieS
11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
My only request is that you post a pic once you get it.:aok

Boris Bubbanov
11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow guys, that is a huge gesture. There may still be hope for a refund or me getting the guitar. Nothing has been said about layaways by ge yet. The other local Taylor dealer said he would talk to the rep for me and see if there was some kind of break they could cut me due to the circumstances.

I honestly would feel a little funny taking anyone's money. It was a luxury purchase not something I needed. It will be a good while before I am in the market for a Taylor though unless I get a refund.

Thanks guys, this place is truly awesome.
Shawn

Yeah, Shawn, keep the lines open to Taylor and GE.

If you need a quality opinion on where you stand as a bankruptcy creditor, you need to concentrate on the legal knowledge within your state. What may work in another State could pan out in MA but there's no guarantee.

Boris Bubbanov
11-03-2011, 12:22 PM

I'm in...

I'm in for 5.

I'd be in for $5

My only request is that you post a pic once you get it.:aok

What about all the other customers that got screwed by Daddy's?

You guys all have big hearts, good hearts, but I think there should be some consequences against Daddy's. If you make your fellow TGP'er whole, then we forget all about this crappy management. I think in the long run we all will relax too much, and make future mistakes trusting the wrong kinds of businessmen. Maybe I am a cynic but IMO if we know we can get burned like this then and it all works out, then there'll be more and more Junky guitar dealers and fewer quality ones.

Peteyvee
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM

You guys all have big hearts, good hearts, but I think there should be some consequences against Daddy's. If you make your fellow TGP'er whole, then we forget all about this crappy management. I think in the long run we all will relax too much, and make future mistakes trusting the wrong kinds of businessmen. Maybe I am a cynic but IMO if we know we can get burned like this then and it all works out, then there'll be more and more Junky guitar dealers and fewer quality ones.

^^This...:aok

CharlieS
11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
As a teenager, I once got screwed by a "mom n' pop" dealer out of a Les Paul Custom and $600 cash, so this struck a chord with me (no pun intended). Not looking to go any deeper than that.

A-Bone
11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't know how I forgot this, but I got screwed out of a deposit on a telecaster layaway in the late 80s when Southbay Music Works went under, so this hits home to me, too.

turtleheadblues
11-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Naa you missed the point. He can still go after them. But we can help out. He will end up getting 3 percent in 5 years. I have seen it too many times.

mnjordan
11-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I'll throw in $5.

fuzz_factor
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
At this point pre-paid orders, store credit, gift cards and layaways seem like very risky propositions... with ANY business. There is no way I'd buy someone a fgt card. I'd rather give them cash.

My folks got burned on a gift card when local sporting goods retailer GI Joes closed a couple of years back. They announced that "yesterday" was the last days gift cards were valid.

To the OP: Hope you end up with a sweet guitar!

turtleheadblues
11-03-2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=979651

Lets help a forum bro !

dlab
11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
OP, have you tried contacting them via their Facebook page? It's been very active recently and they've been updating frequently - it looks like they're trying to make it right.

http://www.facebook.com/DaddysJunkyMusic

Fingers crossed for ya!

59Vampire
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Im unemployed but count me in. Im sick and friggin tired of everybody getting screwed friggin everywhere. Get me a damn ak47 im goin postal!

Send me paypal info

axelfoley
11-03-2011, 03:09 PM
OP, have you tried contacting them via their Facebook page? It's been very active recently and they've been updating frequently - it looks like they're trying to make it right.

http://www.facebook.com/DaddysJunkyMusic

Fingers crossed for ya!

I have been watching it. There isn't any info about layaways yet just repairs. I believe fred is an honest guy. I have had many interactions with him over the years. Him and his family have been very upfront about the whole situation. GE is holding the cards though. They took possesion of all inventory including my guitar. I don't have much faith in them making good on layaways for a company they just repoed.

imonabuss
11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
This is not likely to end well. I lost $13,000 of deposit when a motorcycle dealer went bankrupt. Really hurt me financially, but the legal bills to try to get anywhere were out of reach. I just cut my losses after a while. The guy who owned the dealership had lost everything he had, so he wasn't interested in helping me, too caught up in his own battles. Hopefully you will be lucky.