PDA

View Full Version : EV SRO/12 Speakers: Opinons Please??

dlxtele
08-21-2005, 11:27 AM
I just scored a G212 Rivera cab to go with my Rivera S120 amp. I recall Rivera used the EVM 12L's for his earlier amps and voiced them for those speakers; now this cab has the EV SRO's. These were the predecessors to the 12L, used Alnico magnets, rated at 75 watts and were noted for their big ass maget covers that are about the size of 36 oz coffee cans.

I have not heard a pair of these speaker in over 2 decades. I do have a pair of the 12L's with creamic magnets and rated for 200 watts. Do the SRO sound similar to the 12L's?

Any thoughts and opinions would be very much appreciated.

dlxtele

JMP2203
08-21-2005, 11:52 AM
i just sold two evm12l thats comes in my boogie thiele cabs(two), i found it to sterile and hifi, not to bad for cleans but for heavy overdrive i just hate its!, now i just order two cl80 thats maybe have the same flat eq as the evm but pretty sure that are warmer.

duffyguitarman
08-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I have been using them for years, and love them. Just had mine reconed to orig. spec after litterally wearing the paper on the edges. The original ones are currently quite sought after. The original ones are alinco, then they went to a version that ended up being the EVM with ceramic magnets. The difference is that "coffee" can on the real ones are the magnet casing and does not come off, on the later pseudo SRO the "coffee" can is just a cover and does come off. The SRO's are not steril as EVM's, but I want really "clean" clean tones. If you are a gain player it may not be up your alley like a couple of V30's or something.
I have mostly used mine in 2 little single cubes for a stereo rig, but have used one for many gigs with my Bogner XTC because it will handle that kind of power at pretty good levels.
I would recomend them, but 2 of them in a combo:jo, holy s**t that would be brutaly heavy.

Peace,
Duffy

dlxtele
08-21-2005, 12:05 PM
speaker cab only a 2X12 and weighs 68 lbs !!:eek:

drbob1
08-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I've got a Princeton Reverb II with original SRO and that's a killer sounding little amp (although it weighs a ton!).

doctord02
08-21-2005, 01:43 PM
I love the later SROs that have the finned/ribbed ceramic magnet cover and are 200 watt rated. I've never played the older coffee can versions. I have several cabs with SROs - a 1x12 and a 2x12.

To my ears, the SROs are less ear fatiguing than the EV 12L series.

They do weigh a ton. I used to have a Music Man HD130 combo (think Fender Twin) loaded with them. What a backbreaker. Sounded great tho...

Swarty
08-21-2005, 04:48 PM
To my ear there is no better guitar speaker than an alnico SRO. Perfect balance, robust tight bottom, creamy rich mids and a smooth top that is never harsh... great for clean, overdriven and over the top grind. I have yet to hear a ceramic EV that does not have a harsh, ice-picky top.

hemlock
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I had a Fender Concert 112 with an oak cab that had an SRO in it. I don't remember whether it was alnico or not, but it sounded great. That was a sweet amp.

SarasotaSlim
11-05-2005, 03:21 PM
It just so happens that I have a pair EVM 12Ls AND a pair of the original "coffee can" alnico EV SRO 12s in 4 identical ported PA small cube cabs. I bought the SROs for my first guitar amp - it was a angle head VOX and the speaker cab was empty and falling apart so I bought the SROs at Mr. Hank in Miami for $60 each and made a 2x12 cab.

Not long ago, a young picker named Branson with the worst ongoing GAS came buy with his latest 2Rock amp head to help me A-B between the 2 types. The volume/sound pressure level was the same and yes they were close in sound but...

After mutiple A-Bing between the EVMs and the SROs we decided that the SROs were indeed the best. They were smoother - not so bitey and harsh and they really did have some kind of cool tonal mojo. So now after 20 years of JBLs I'm trying to get used to an SRO again - just put it in my Deluxe on steroids and used it last night - AWSOME! I still prefer a JBL D120 but don't have the big bucks for one right now.

duffyguitarman
11-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SarasotaSlim
It just so happens that I have a pair EVM 12Ls AND a pair of the original "coffee can" alnico EV SRO 12s in 4 identical ported PA small cube cabs. I bought the SROs for my first guitar amp - it was a angle head VOX and the speaker cab was empty and falling apart so I bought the SROs at Mr. Hank in Miami for $60 each and made a 2x12 cab.

Ahh, Mr. Hank. Man does that bring back memories from my days living in Lauderdale and gigging all over Fla.

Peace,
Duffy King

Boomer
11-05-2005, 04:50 PM
I had a 12" SRO I used with my first Fuchs ODS-50. I sold it to Andy and he used it to help define his FAT-1.

I'm about to yank a 15" Weber California out of a 1x15 cab and replace it with an original cone 15" SRO for my TDS-50.

Should be pretty cool!

mrm
11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by duffyguitarman
I have been using them for years, and love them. Just had mine reconed to orig. spec after litterally wearing the paper on the edges.

Peace,
Duffy

who did your recone ?

bob-i
11-05-2005, 11:29 PM
I had a ton of these in the 70's. My Twin had SRO's, Alnico, in it for awhile and I loved it, but I couldn't carry it. I put them in a 4x12 for the keyboard player and it was an amazing sound with a Clavinet and a Rhodes... again we couldn't lift the damn thing.

The other issue is volume. They're extremley efficent and the Twin was too loud already. This amp could blow small childern over on #2.

I wish I'd never sold them. I'm between the SRO's and the Altec's as the best sounding speaker I ever used.

dlxtele
11-06-2005, 02:02 AM
I do not think the SRO's are the right speaker for every amp, but I trained my ears on tube audio in the 80s on Altec and JBL ported cab and horn loaded speakers with Dyna Stereo 70's, Scott, Harmon-Kardon and later with early Audio Research tube amps and pre-amps.

I have a large pair of the real VOTs from Altec that actually were hung in the Metrodome in Minneapolis. They are/were horn loaded with a slot load for lower bass frequencies using 2 15" Altec drivers side by side with their own horn and slot load with a large compression driver into a 60 degree metal horn for the frequencies above 500 Hz. These have now been modded for home use, but still too large for my present home.

Sorry for the too long digression and back to the SRO's. If an amp was voiced with the 12L's and seem bright and harsh, the Alnico SRO's can tame the beast. I think the harshness of the 12L comes from the materials used in the spider and former to reach the higher power levels. My Alnico's are rated at 75 watts where the 12L's are 200 watt units. I would like to hear a Mesa MK 3 or 4 with the Alnico's and because of the power ratings probably a head with a 2X12 cab.

dlxtele