PDA

View Full Version : Poast your Chili recipes HERE ! ! !1

Dr. Tweedbucket
11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
:eeks

Yep folks, it's that time of year where brewin a good pot of Chili over an open fire brings family and friends together!

What makes a good Chili good? Well, heck I don't know :huh but it has something to do with using lots of Chili powder, I do know that :red

Here are some other little hints that I picked up along the way ..

Crushed tomatos, lots of chopped sweet onions and garlic make a good base. Lots of Chili powder, a dash of cummin seed, 2 to 5 chopped habaneros, salt, pepper, a touch of sugar and some tomato paste and a couple of chopped Kwakkleberry leaves are good options to throw in as well. Personally, I like to use ground sirloin for the meat, but have used 50% ground pork.

I like chili beans in my chili :idea ....so gotta dump some of those in there as well! You could probably even crumple some Bacon :love: up in there and it wouldn't hurt anything.

Roast that up over an open fire, or just on the stove for a couple hours and you've got some good eaten on your hands! Of course it's even better if you let it 'rest' for 24 hours in the fridge so all the flavors have a chance to meet and mingle with each other. :)

Serve with fresh chopped onions on top, shredded cheddar or jack cheese and maybe some crumpled saltines !!

Ok, somebody else post their own specialty Chili~!

Leonardo
11-07-2011, 10:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3xSgR.jpg

mannish
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I do not understand the sugar ???

http://i.imgur.com/3xSgR.jpg

Cumberland
11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Some peeps use sugar in tomato based stuff as it saves time on cooking down the tomatos till they are sweet.

Tripower455
11-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Mine is pretty simple, but outstanding. I hate measuring ingredients, and have never done so in making this chili for the last 20 years. I use the "that looks about right" method, followed by a taste test. It always comes out great and I get lots of requests for the "recipe".

I use whatever cheap cut of steak I can find on sale. Thinner is better..... about 1/2" thick is perfect. I usually use about 3 lbs. and dice it into small, 1/2" cubes, discarding fat and gristle.

Lots of beans. Dark/light red kidney, white and black all work! I like sliced mushrooms in it too, but the family outvotes me on that one, so I rarely put them in. I've also tried using sweet italian sausage, and again, I liked it, but the family doesn't, so I go with the basic steak....

I start by sauteeing 2 large chopped vidalia onions in a little olive oil and then browning the meat with red wine (anything lying around open.... I used marsala last time and it was great), cumin, white pepper, a little salt, chili powder, garlic and red pepper. It's best to put this stuff on the meat before it heats up, but it's not rocket science.

Once the meat is browned, I then mix in a small can of tomato paste, and start adding beans, liquid and all right from the cans. I usually use about 8 standard sized cans of beans or whatever it takes to fill the pot up. Then I add some chopped hot peppers (habanero if I can get them, or jalapenos if I can't). Add the above seasonings to taste as it cooks.

Let it go for about an hour, stirring often to prevent the bottom from burning and serve with whatever stuff you like with chili. We usually have it over rice with chopped onion and cheddar cheese.

My daughter is coming home from college this weekend, and has specifically requested chili, so I'll be making some tomorrow.

As the Dr said, it is MUCH better if you let it sit overnight before eating, as it allow the different flavors to get acquainted properly.

FWIW, the guys in my commuter crash pad years ago (where much of this "recipe" was perfected) dubbed this stuff as "Rectum stretching, butt burning chili".... One of the guys grew his own habaneros, which was a major reason for the name. They truly redefined the word HOT!

stvnscott
11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I have been making this recipe for probably 15 years, but I only recently wrote it down. This isn't exactly it, though, since I never make it the same way twice. Seems pretty simple, but I have won several awards with it.

And for you bean people... YER DOIN' IT WRONG!!!

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1 pound sirloin steak
-------- OR --------
2 pound roast

1 medium yellow onion
2-4 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
Fresh peppers as desired

2-4 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2-4 tablespoons pasilla chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 pinch fresh chopped oregano

1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Olive oil
Masa flour
Bock or lager beer

Preparation:

Preheat chili pot over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Julienne the onion and add to pot.
Add garlic and simmer until onion begins to turn golden. Add tomato products and bring to slight boil
then lower heat to simmer. Add sliced fresh peppers as desired. Add half the chili powder and all other
spices except cayenne pepper and bay leaf.

If you are using a roast, add one bottle of beer to crock pot and cook over high heat for 2 hours then over
low heat for 4 hours or until roast is tender enough to fall apart. Remove from crock pot and break apart
into bite-sized pieces, then add to chili pot.

If you are not using a roast, brown ground beef in olive oil, rinse, drain, and add to chili pot. Trim and
cut sirloin steak into bite-sized pieces and brown in olive oil to medium rare over medium high heat. Rinse and
drain, then add to chili pot.

Simmer covered chili over low to medium low heat for at least 2 hours. Add rest of chili powder, cayenne pepper, red
pepper and bay leaf, then adjust other spices to taste. Simmer covered (for thinner chili) or uncovered
(for thicker chili) for 1 hour. Add masa flour to thicken chili if desired.

Dr. Tweedbucket
11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I have been making this recipe for probably 15 years, but I only recently wrote it down. This isn't exactly it, though, since I never make it the same way twice. Seems pretty simple, but I have won several awards with it.

And for you bean people... YER DOIN' IT WRONG!!!

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1 pound sirloin steak
-------- OR --------
2 pound roast

1 medium yellow onion
2-4 cloves fresh minced garlic
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
Fresh peppers as desired

2-4 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2-4 tablespoons pasilla chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 pinch fresh chopped oregano

1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Olive oil
Masa flour
Bock or lager beer

Preparation:

Preheat chili pot over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Julienne the onion and add to pot.
Add garlic and simmer until onion begins to turn golden. Add tomato products and bring to slight boil
then lower heat to simmer. Add sliced fresh peppers as desired. Add half the chili powder and all other
spices except cayenne pepper and bay leaf.

If you are using a roast, add one bottle of beer to crock pot and cook over high heat for 2 hours then over
low heat for 4 hours or until roast is tender enough to fall apart. Remove from crock pot and break apart
into bite-sized pieces, then add to chili pot.

If you are not using a roast, brown ground beef in olive oil, rinse, drain, and add to chili pot. Trim and
cut stew beef into bite-sized pieces and brown in olive oil to medium rare over medium high heat. Rinse and
drain, then add to chili pot.

Simmer covered chili over low to medium low heat for 2 hours. Add rest of chili powder, cayenne pepper, red
pepper and bay leaf, then adjust other spices to taste. Simmer covered (for thinner chili) or uncovered
(for thicker chili) for 1 hour. Add masa flour to thicken chili if desired.

That sounds very good, I'll have to copy and try it! Thanks! :hiP

stvnscott
11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
That sounds very good, I'll have to copy and try it! Thanks! :hiP

Glad you like it. Let me know how it turns out. BTW, it doesn't hurt to have some beef or chicken broth (or BEER!) on hand in case it gets a little thick while it simmers.

In this recipe, I don't season the beef while it cooks. The reason is that I try to watch the fat these days, so I actually drain and rinse the beef before it goes into the pot. Except for the red meat, this chili is actually pretty healthy. Sometimes I swap the ground beef for ground turkey and the sirloin steak for pork tenderloin to make it even healthier. OK. I don't do that very often. Chili is supposed to be about BEEF!

ethandt
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I do not understand the sugar ???

Sugar helps counter the acidity of the tomatoes, it also helps cut the spicy nature of the chilis, giving it a nice balance. I now use a little honey in mine instead of sugar. Some people like using a little chocolate instead too, influenced be Mole sauces.

You will see the same thing in a lot of Italian tomato sauces... the addition of sugar. For that I always use some grated carrot instead, adds a nice sweetness that helps cut the acidity of the tomatoes, but then again, if you are using proper San Marzano tomatoes than no sweetening should be required :).

Peace

dlab
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
I have no recipe. Rather, I gather ingredients and then combine them in a crockpot while I dance around like a maniac, and then I let it do it's thing for 10 hours.

Usually use some top round, pieces should be seared before adding to the crock. Beer is a good source of liquid (meat tenderizer and flavorizer). I've also used coffee very succesfully in the past.

Remember a single ingredient won't make or break your chili. There's millions of ways to make a good pot of it. Some people think beans in chili are sacrilege, others use beans only. I've had delicious "white" and "green" chili before. Don't be afraid to taste and correct.

dlab
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh one more thing, for a truly delicious concoction, replace your chili powder with a few different kinds of actual food-processed dry chiles. Some pasillas, some anchos, some chipotles... if your blender or foodpro is having a tough time, you can add some water to turn it into a paste.

Matt Novak
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Do any of you guys add a couple of squares of good quality dark chocolate? If not, try it....

Bozak
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
- I'm not a fan of corn in Chili, it looks weird, but I do like beans, even a little carrot, I think a good Chili should be a meal and just meat gets boring, that's competition Chili, made for one little taste, not a meal.

- Buy better spices, that McCormick stuff is kind of crappy, Spice Islands is everywhere now, worth the extra buck.

- Cook the spices in the onion/veg mixture in the beginning, it wakes up the spice and gives a smoky aroma.

- definitely use fresh hot peppers, even just one Jalapeno makes the difference although a habanero or a couple of red chilies is even better.

- finish with a corn meal/water mixture (masa) just a couple of TBSP each, thickens it up nicely