PDA

View Full Version : Volum Kits for Strats?

Killa-B
08-28-2005, 05:30 PM
My question is about those cheap volume kits sold by acme that consist of a cap and a small resistor wired in parallel arcoss the volume knob. I am asking in the context for use in a strat with vintage style passive pickups.

Do/should these change the basic tone with the volume full up (or on 10)?

Is there a consensus on these kits?

Thanks!!

alderbody
08-29-2005, 06:10 AM
i never liked treble bleed circuits in strats. (and in HB guitars, too...)

besides, vintage style pickups don't really darken when volume is turned down.

i wouldn't bother trying it...

Killa-B
08-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Bumping to see if somebody can fill me in as to what the effect of the treble retention circuit should have on tone with the volume knob full up.

Jim Collins
08-30-2005, 09:58 AM
If all you do is install a cap, or even a resistor cap, it won't have any effect when the volume is full on. The cap or R/C doesn't come into play until you back off on the volume.

justicetones
09-16-2005, 02:45 AM
I have volume kits on all of my strats and teles. I have found that they make my volume pot usage even better. They really helped for my set up when I roll off volume. That being said I have all high quality pickups, pots, tone caps, etc. in all of my guitars. I got mine from and most of my other parts fromTorres Engineering (http://www.torresengineering.com/volumekit.html) Dan is really cool. He and his staff are very helpful if you have questions.

Chris

KLB
09-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Try a 680pf and 150K in parallel.

LightninBoy
09-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I use the volume kit from ACME on all of my strats - doesn't affect the tone with volume up at all. I don't really hear any change to the tone when rolling back off the volume either - it's actually the reason I installed it. I wanted to retain the tone while removing the 'dirt' with the volume knob for a nice bluesy tone when overdriving an amp. I guess you could substitute a volume pedal for those same results, but the expense is significant compared to this alternative (if you're comfortable using a soldering iron). Prior to installing this kit in my guitars, rolling back on the volume simply removed volume - simple enough, but it never allowed me to clean up the signal like I can with the kit installed. The volume level seems to stay pretty much the same until reaching around 3 or 4 with the kit.

justicetones
09-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Yep. The Torres kit functions the exact same way. Cleans up well with no change in tone noticable. Just cleans up as you turn the volume down until you reach about 3. The Acme and Torres kits are probably the same values, I would assume.

Chris