PDA

View Full Version : Any "SEISMIC" cab users here on TGP?

clay49
12-02-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm looking for a new 1x12 and 2x12 cab, and really not interested in spending $500-$900 for either, and so I have been combing the internet for what appear to be well-made cabs for reasonable dough outlay.

I'm familiar with some of the usual suspects...Avatar, Whitebox, and JDesign, which seem to be the best of the reasonably priced, well-made cabs, but I came across this Ebay auction for a company called "SEISMIC." Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x12-GUITAR-SPEAKER-CAB-EMPTY-212-Cabinet-NEW-12-Tolex-/380390930209?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589110f721

Any of you guys had any experience with these cabs? Are they well-made? :huh

Mark
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
All I know is that the one I ordered from them was exactly what was pictured and was missing a back plate, so now way to hook up a speaker. They had FedEx pick up the package from my house and dealt with it well an d quickly, but it was indeed a pain.

jb4674
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
I was looking at them before I got my power engine 60. I was contemplating buying a 2x12 cab and getting it built to house a boss gt-pro right above the speakers but I couldn't find someone whom could build it for me at a reasonable price.

clay49
12-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I just sent them a message via Ebay about speaker mounts, which I can't see in the photos they provide, and they just responded and said that they don't provide speaker mounts!!! So, you buy a cab that is completely finished EXCEPT for the speaker mounts??? Well, where the heck do I buy speaker mounts, and how in the heck to install them?

I told them that they should just charge an extra $15 or so and finish the product! It's like buying a car without a steering wheel!

Lublin
12-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I just sent them a message via Ebay about speaker mounts, which I can't see in the photos they provide, and they just responded and said that they don't provide speaker mounts!!! So, you buy a cab that is completely finished EXCEPT for the speaker mounts??? Well, where the heck do I buy speaker mounts, and how in the heck to install them?

I told them that they should just charge an extra $15 or so and finish the product! It's like buying a car without a steering wheel!
That's insane.

clay49
12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Isn't it? I mean, how many other cab companies out there send their completed cabs out without speaker mounts? It just doesn't make sense, and certainly cannot be a cost issue....

Guinness Lad
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
There are people just making the wood shell but you know it going in. It always seemed these Seismic cabs were finished. No escaping reality is there, cabs cost what they do because parts add up.

clay49
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
There are people just making the wood shell but you know it going in. It always seemed these Seismic cabs were finished. No escaping reality is there, cabs cost what they do because parts add up.

I understand cost, but how much more time would take to install 4 speaker mounts (that would run probably about a quarter each), and include 4 speaker screws? Maybe and extra 5 minutes per cab?

Mark
12-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Long story short... it's a waste of time to order through Seismic

clay49
12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Yep, you're right. Here's their latest response:

All speakers don't have the same hole pattern, so it wouldn't make sense to pre-drill. There are so many different mounting options and hardware, we don't try to supply any. Many of our customers use T-bolts & nuts. Many use wood screws. Best of luck to you.

I've been playing and buying guitars and cabs for over 30 years now...owned and changed many, many speakers from many different builders...never seen a speaker that doesn't have holes drilled for standard four-hole mounting...EVER.

So, I guess it's a good deal for a "speaker cab project."

Travst
12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I bought one of their cabs a few months back and am very happy with it. I wanted a 2x12 enclosure for home use and their classic cab fit the bill. The speaker mount thing is weird, but I keep T-nuts on hand and it's not a big deal to mount them. Note that the ply used isn't 3/4", but that wasn't an issue in my application.

lpcustom
12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Sourmash cabs are wicked inexpensive, look & sound great, AND come with mounting hardware. They sell online & on the 'Bay.

clay49
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I'll check 'em out...thanks!

schristie
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I find this thread "curious".

Many TGP members gladly strip pickups, wiring, pots, caps and switches out of everything from inexpensive VERY expensive custom shop guitars and seem happy to do it..HELL I've done it.

Why do we have such a problem with a very inexpensive product that requires a very small amount of DIY when the price is admittedly much lower than average?

DrainBamage
12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Seismic is junk. 7 ply brich isnt baltic so its going to have some massive voids. Besides that its probably only glued and screwed

clay49
12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I find this thread "curious".

Many TGP members gladly strip pickups, wiring, pots, caps and switches out of everything from inexpensive VERY expensive custom shop guitars and seem happy to do it..HELL I've done it.

Why do we have such a problem with a very inexpensive product that requires a very small amount of DIY when the price is admittedly much lower than average?

Yeah, I am one does those who does those types of upgrades for sure, but there is a difference in the scenario you proposed here: the product being "upgraded" arrived to you in a completed state, ready to go. I still liken this to buying a new car in which you have to provide your own steering wheel.

In reality, you are right, what's the big deal? In the realm of practicality, finish your product (in this case, add the dad-gum speaker mounts like 10 - out -of - 10 other cab builders do) so your customer has a finished product when it arrives. There is no additional appreciable cost to the builder to do so.

xntrick
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Any of you guys had any experience with these cabs? Are they well-made? :huh

I have that exact cab but in all black. Seems well built and the tolex is wrapped quite well. Have not had any problems but i do not gig. My only issue is it does not come with T-nuts and it is not drilled and the holes are cut rather large so you have to be sure to center your speaker before you drill any holes. Work has been crappy the past few years which is why i went with this cab, otherwise i probably would've spent much more.

pbmw
12-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a 212 cab. Yea, it does not come with hardware. I didn't care. I've built speakers for stereo and guitars. I don't really swap speakers much. I front mounted them with RTV. Just like with stereo cabs...
I'm happy. Sounds great and wasn't a ton of money. I don't gig with this cab, so it's just fine.

cap'n'crunch
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Besides that its probably only glued and screwed

Done right and with today's quality wood glue choices that can work just fine however, being a woodworker and cabinet builder myself, its not really much more effort to do dovetailed or even finger/box joints. Once you get the jigs setup you can pump them out pretty fast and you've got yourself a higher quality wood joint. The difference in time/cost is only a few bucks per cabinet.

dkey
01-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I bought a Seismic Luke 1x12 cabinet and it is a great cabinet. I could have bought something more expensive but for what I need, it is perfect. Mine did come with speaker hardware and seems to be pretty well constructed. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. The only thing I didn't like was that the corner protectors are made for a square edge but the edges of the cabinet were rounded over. That's not really a big deal and is easy to remedy. Yoiu don't have to spend your mortgage payment to get a good cabinet. Sometimes a good deal is just that, a good deal.

thosk
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
The cabs Mark Nerby sells on the 'Bay are very nice and inexpensive as well. His customer service is great- He shipped my 1x10 cab 3 hours after I ordered it and was very helpful. I think I'd go that route.