PDA

View Full Version : Q: 18w/1974x clone options

wgs1230
12-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Was talking with a friend yesterday about 18w Marshall clones, and we're wondering: are there still builders out there who offer 3-band eq in place of the tremolo on the second channel, and if so, what are the options as far as how the "trem" tube is used in the circuit?

big mike
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Several.

Reinhardt was making one, he's no longer making amps for the moment.
Avatar has one, Ceriatone, i believe several other builders. GDS, Trinity, etc.
Even Mojo has a kit I believe.

Not sure how the tube is being used tough.

wgs1230
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks Mike. Reinhardt was the first name that came to mind, then I saw he's gone dark.

The gut shots on the Avatar site suggest that the trem tube is being used as a second, cascaded gain stage, and there's obviously a second gain control on that channel. I thought there was also a model around a few years ago that made the additional gain stage switchable, but I can't remember any details about the source.

cugel
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
trinity amps comes to mind. great rep on the 18watt pages of old. of course i like mine which is a TMB channel with a PPI master on one channel. the other channel is an ef86 based channel that can cascade into the other channel and feed into it. very very versatile amp. my other 18 watt is just the classic circuit but the normal channel is now an ef86. ceriatone will build you whatever you want, just contact him

jackbart1960
12-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I have a 1974 Ceriatone with the trem channel. I also thought I'd be F'd without a tone stack. F the tone stack:rotflmao
But realy, I've enough "tone" control with the tone knob on the guitar, pedals, the one tone knob on the amp. Pretty dvnamic little amp. I think it will suprise. Speaker of choice is a Greenback by a long shot. At least in a combo cab. Peace. J.J.B.

wgs1230
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
the other channel is an ef86 based channel that can cascade into the other channel and feed into it. very very versatile amp.

Are we talking about hardwired voltage cascading between the stages or external bridging of the channels with a patch cable? A true cascade arrangement from an EF86 to a 12AX7 would overdrive the second tube very easily, but my experience with EF86s is that they're also highly prone to white noise. How does yours work? Thanks.

cugel
12-07-2011, 12:00 PM
its internal and doenst seem to be just a patch cable inside. the tone controls on the 12ax7 channel are inactive (IIRC) and the volume and master volume are active when its engaged.