PDA

View Full Version : Original Replacement for Bon Scott

HoboMan
12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I remember reading an old story about how the Alan Fryer of Heaven (Australian rock band) was almost the replacement for Bon Scott.
He supposedly was already told that he had the gig but then Brian Johnson came in for an audition.

I just checked Wikipedia and it says something different.

Anyways, would have been interesting if he did get the gig. Maybe AC/DC thought he was a little much like Bon.

DlNd3VZm3lc&feature=related

ob69vMxSGIE&feature=related

Telefunky
12-13-2011, 03:46 PM
The voice is uncanny, almost perfect clone of Bon Scott.
He looks like he should be in Survivor though... No attitude. If you're going to replace a legendary frontman like Bon Scott, you need more than just his voice. You need serious BALLS. Bon Scott himself handpicked Brian Johnson for that very reason. I imagine he didn't care too much for this guy.

Laroosco!
12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry, that guy is not anywhere near a perfect clone of Bon Scott.

So glad that Brian got that gig

Lotis
12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Not even close for me.

Stike
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
The voice is uncanny, almost perfect clone of Bon Scott.
He looks like he should be in Survivor though... No attitude. If you're going to replace a legendary frontman like Bon Scott, you need more than just his voice. You need serious BALLS. Bon Scott himself handpicked Brian Johnson for that very reason. I imagine he didn't care too much for this guy.

How did Bon pick Brian? I think being dead would make that kind of hard?

Julia343
12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Well if indeed he did pick Johnson, he knew he was on his way to the great gig in the sky.

fenderlead
12-13-2011, 11:47 PM
AC/DC offered Noddy Holder the singers position.

Noddy Holder doesn't need to audition.

Noddy turned it down, deciding to stay with Slade.

Brian Johnston is similar to Noddy in a lot of ways and he eventually got the job.

"Is it true that during Slade's lean period - after the first run of hits, but before your chart comeback following your massive success at the Reading Festival, that you were approached to front AC/DC when Bon Scott died (in February 1980)?

NH: Yes. It is true. I was approached. AC/DC did offer me the job, and I turned it down - so they went and got the guy from the band Geordie, Brian Johnson, who sounded exactly like me anyway."

http://www.soundchecks.co.uk/articles/noholder.html

tnvol
12-13-2011, 11:54 PM
If Back In Black was the only record he sang on, he would still be a legend in my mind. I know his voice has been shot for years, but he was a great fit for the band in my opinion.

DustyRhodesJr
12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
I always thought UDO would have been a great choice.

tnvol
12-14-2011, 12:12 AM
The dude from Krokus would have also fit.

Ulysses
12-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Rusty Day was offered the gig first ... turned it down but he also died (a year or so after Bon Scott).

Telefunky
12-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Angus and Malcolm from a VH1 interview:

"Bon had just heard this guy singing in a club and was telling us about him. He said 'if anything happens to me, this is the guy to get'."

Apparently this happened a month or two before Bon died.

Sancho
12-14-2011, 02:31 AM
I knew a guy who was in the Belgian AC/DC fanclub at the time.
Apparently, they could vote for who the replacement should be. He said Marc Storace (Krokus) won by a landslide. He never cared for AC/DC once Brian Johnson joined...

tonefinger
12-14-2011, 07:32 AM
I had a couple of their records back in the day, I thought they were a good band.
I think the dude sounds reasonably similar to Bon Scott. I believe I saw them open for someone way back when, they were a good band.

Elev8
12-14-2011, 07:47 AM
If Back In Black was the only record he sang on, he would still be a legend in my mind. I know his voice has been shot for years, but he was a great fit for the band in my opinion.

Total agreeage.