2013 Gibson Historic LP specs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by plaintopper, Jan 25, 2013.

1. plaintopper

plaintopper Supporting Member

This, from Mark's Guitar Loft.

NEW Gibson 2013 Custom Shop Reissue Les Paul Specs
    (Item#474) The 2013 Custom Shop reissue Les Pauls are just being released and here is the list of cool changes to the appointments: Back to 1-piece rosewood fingerboards with real celluloid inlays, the neck set will now be done with Hide Glue, new vintage accurate truss rod with no sleeve, all guitars will now come with Custom Buckers for pickups, correct aniline dye in the cherry pore filler for the back color, new neck and body binding with a more accurate vintage color, new single line Kluson tuners, both the front and back colors have been changed on all goldtops, the gold color is more accurate and slightly green, the back color has a darker pore filler and is more of a walnut brown. I'm hoping to see some of these guitars soon!

Gibson haters pile on if you must, but I am intrigued. Nothing here not to like, IMO.

2. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

yes this is very good news.

Question: does this apply only to historic Les Pauls, or will the other historic guitars get these upgrades (335s, LP Specials, etc.)?

3. Liquid_Mojo

Liquid_Mojo Supporting Member

This is good news! Definitely going to try one.

4. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Very cool.

5. 1radicalron

1radicalron Supporting Member

Gibson does this every single year since the first Historic's came out in 1993. Every year - its a new and more accurate vintage color, More correct vintage style this and that. Just more marketing bullsh!t so they can justify there ever raising prices.
    I currently own 7 Historic Les Pauls from various years, I have sold more than that because they were dead logs. I have found no consistency in terms of which Historic's are better because it was made in this year or that. My Favorite Historic has been the first 57 Goldtop that I got in 93 when it was new. There are others that are close, and some that were almost laughable.The fact remains they are modern Guitars. They are not 50+ year old Guitars Gibson wants you to believe your buying. I expect many of you may want to argue that your favorite Historic happens to be the year in which yours was made. - I say Enjoy, and bring the world some good music.

6. plaintopper

The obvious question is, why do you keep buying them? To continually buy overpriced gear from a company you can't stand makes no sense.

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Gibson. They have a great legacy, and build some fantastic guitars. I own at least 15 currently. I cant help it - I have serious GAS for great Guitars. Unfortunately they are not all great, and that would apply to just about every manufacturer out there. = Buyer Beware!

8. Rich

Rich Supporting Member

I don't see where he's saying he cant stand Gibson.

To me he's making an observation about its marketing ploys (which I agree with) and his experience over the years.

Seems to me that EVERY maker pulls the same BS with its new model introductions, minor tweaks to existing lines, etc. Each year, bigger & better.....

Come on, lets be smart & honest here -- they play to our needs & WANTS for the next big thing.

9. plaintopper

First, there are some notable spec changes here. Second, of course they are marketing. That's how companies make money.

10. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Gold Supporting Member

I might have to pick up an R8 eventually. Gibson Custom is actually putting out a few models I really like this year.

11. Aran

Aran Member

Nice. :)

I still like playing my inferior 06 though. :p ;)

12. Aran

Aran Member

OR, maybe Gibson listens to their customers demands who have been asking for years to do just this?

Nah, it's a conspiracy. :drink

13. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Other than perhaps 2009, the 2013 changes appear to be the most significant of any that I've ever seen. I tend to think it's primarily a means to draw attention away from the 2012 debacle so that Gibson can get back into full recovery mode once again.

14. Aran

Aran Member

Now that I would tend to agree with. It's good Gibson is doing this. Make me wonder if the 12s will be the ones to grab... 50 years from now. ;)

15. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

An R9 is still on my dream list of guitars... my buddy is bringing his '06 by tomorrow to A/B with my '73 LPC which should be cool. I'd love to try one of the 2013 models... I saw one that a forum member on MyLesPaul purchased from House of Guitars that looked KILLER. Sure they're all supposedly better than the last one, but isn't that just the way sales ploys work?

W.

16. plaintopper

It really is a tough win for Gibson with a certain percentage of people, isn't it? People complain about shortcomings in the product (some of which are no doubt valid), and if Gibson addresses those issues as improvements, it's just worthless marketing hype and BS. If they don't address them, then it's the evil empire trying continuing to pass off something inferior.

17. clint

clint Member

I'd like to hear some tone reports on whether or not the changes made any noticeable difference compared to previous models. Specs like hot hide glue and no truss rod condum were talked about for years as the reasons Historics didn't quite measure up to their vintage counterparts. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds over the year.

18. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

This is interesting for sure, but I don't think you'll be seeing sub $4K list prices on R8's and R7's any longer. If they put out a Darkburst R9 or R8 similar to the Joe Perry signature...I may have to bite...

I still have a jones for a 99-01 R8 or R9, not sure why, but I do...not that I can really jump on one at the moment. I'm still having a lot of fun with my 09 Historic 59 335. My 95 Studio will have to satisfy my LP needs for now.

19. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Price?

20. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member