Alex's Attenuator

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by 908SSP, Feb 21, 2010.

1. 908SSP

908SSP Gold Supporting Member

I want to announce I am out of business I will no longer be making any attenuators. I am proud of the fact that I got everyone's attenuator shipped out in a week or less and that I owe no one anything.

I am back sorry for the short delay my chassis supplier had some family issues and wasn't able to fill my order on time. All new units are now black face and black lids all aluminum.

My attenuator is a passive reactive load which maintains a load very near that of a speaker. By doing that this attenuator is extremely transparent. The limiting factor ends up being the response curve of the speakers at low volumes more so than any fault of the attenuator. In an attempt to compensate for the speaker response I have included a variable treble compensation switch. My attenuator will handle a 100 watt Marshall Superlead which can put out a 170 watts or more at full throttle. That is a lot of heat which means the unit will get warm. The handles don't get warm because they are isolated from the case so the handles are an extra cost option as not everyone will have to move the unit while it is hot.

If you would like post an comment or question please do it here as this post won't get deleted after 90 days. I am happy to answer question sent to me via email or PM. You can find my email address by clicking on the forum name above left.

Basic instructions: The Bypass switch has to be off for the unit to be in the circuit with the speaker. When the bypass is on the unit is bypassed using a true bypass topography so that no parts are connected to the amp or speaker. The -3db/-12db decibel knob has to be in the -12 position before the center knob does anything. For full load both knobs have to be counterclockwise. The treble knob only comes into the circuit when the db knob is in the minus -12 position and becomes more noticeable as the volume is turned down with the center knob. The bypass switch has to be off for the attenuator to be on. The line out volume feeds off the input so the attenuator controls have no effect on it and it only controls the signal at the line out plastic jack on the back.

For purchase info click on my forum name 908ssp in the upper left hand corner and follow the prompts to email me.

Thank you Jack Zucker for the demo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. traviswalk

traviswalk Back in the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Great unit and great service!

3. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

I'm still digging mine totally. The first attenuator I've owned that works great cranked way down. Everyone I've let try mine has said the same.

4. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Still the best attenuater Ive ever used!Great support and economy friendly...hard to beat!!

5. jzucker

jzucker Silver Supporting Member

Just wanted to say that I'm a believer. This attenuator is the real-deal. There is certainly a lot of hype on TGP about attenuators but this one works great and lives up to the praise. Very transparent and does not alter the sound of your amp. Very impressed with the quality of workmanship too. Nice, american made product.

6. bjjp2

bjjp2 Gold Supporting Member

Love mine. Sold my Ho and very happy.

7. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I've had mine for about 6 months now and it works as promised - transparent. Previously owned the Hot Plate and Ultimate which have been sold. Alex knows his stuff and has been very responsive to my questions. If you need an attenuator - look no further.

8. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

This thing rocks. I am able to own and use amps that would be too loud without the Alex. So not only can you use it to crank your Marshalls or whatever, but it can also be used to tame down the volume of any amp. Use it to get your amps to their sweet spot, it doesn't just have to be used for cranking things to the max. Excellent product.

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I like mine.

10. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Supporting Member

This thing is definitely not hype. It allows me to use all 4 of my amps (all running at 8 ohms) at any volume in any situation. My CP-103 Reeves would be virtually unusable in most situations without it. I wish mine had the handles, but the unit only gets hot with my 100 watt Reeves. I can run my Germino Lead 55 as long and as high volume I want without it getting hot. The Alex is certainly the best bang for the buck in the new high end attenuators. It killed the Air Brake I used to own. The Alex is totally transparent until you get down to almost load levels. And I like the click settings of 3 db reduction. I don't ever find that I need anything in between. The treble compensation is mainly for use down below 12 db, as your speakers just aren't really moving as much at that point.

11. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Alex's Attenuator in action
    Made my VOX AC50 usable in a club

[​IMG]

12. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I never realized how much of a compromise I was making with my other attenuators until I tried Alex's.

The Ultimate, Hot Plate and Richter are now collecting dust.

13. hipfan

hipfan Supporting Member

I love my Alex Attenuator! Just used it this past weekend at a gig between my Vox AC30 head and Cage 2x12. It was a small, highly reflective room. During sound check, the sound guy came over and asked if I could get just a bit quieter to balance out the mix. I flipped the Alex from -3 to -6, and the volume went down but the tone remained! The sound man was happy, and so was I.

14. HendricksonDrew

HendricksonDrew Member

My Alex Attenuator has been a dream and the only people happier than me are my neighbors.

15. Champ

Champ Senior Member

Alex, Best gear purchase I've made in a long time. Quality piece. Works as described. Thanks, GT

16. strata189

strata189 Supporting Member

Been loving mine for about 6 months - handles everything I use with ease and tone.

Randall

17. tejastubes

tejastubes Supporting Member

Alex's work is a stellar contribution to musicians and at an excellent price I might add! I was on the Faustine waiting list and after I read Jim Seavall's review/comparison, I said why wait?

By the time I received the email requesting a deposit from Faustine, I had already received my units from Alex.

I own two, but I still have not used the 16 ohm unit! I have just been using the 8 ohm with great results after a very informative discussion with Alex on the phone, but don't worry Alex, I will try that 16 ohm unit out one of these days!

Keep up the good work!

Joshua

18. JLee

JLee Member

Just got mine today. AWESOME! I used Alex's 1st generation attenuator for quite a while, but his new unit absolutely blows it out of the water. Better volume reduction than his previous unit and some other high end attenuators I've tried. No added artifacts, no massive impedance mismatch and rock solid construction! I don't find the Treble compensation harsh at all, even at max treble settings. Seriously comes in handy at bedroom attenuation levels and sounds perfectly natural! I only wish it had impedance matching like the Aracom, but it attenuates at a higher level than the Aracom and still manages to retain transparency, punch and dynamics.

19. 908SSP

908SSP Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the great review.

20. Mark Barna

Mark Barna Supporting Member

I got my 16 ohm in December. I've used it on gigs, but it took me awhile to realize what it's capable of.

For gigs, I've used it with my Komet 19, but I used it modestly, cutting back no more than minus 6 DB and not kicking up volume and saturation much. I used a pedal to give me crunch and lead tone.

Today, however, I have found a whole new use. Here at home I cranked my volume to half and saturation to 1:30, then attenuated way down till the volume was such that I could carry on a conversation with someone if I chose while playing.

I then turned on my Tamscan recorder and started playing. I thought things sounded pretty good with my humbucking Collings and Tyler. But not till I listened to the recording did I realize how good.

In short, everything was retained. Now my task will be to get that bedroom level sound at my gigs by dialing up the attenuator. I will try at next band practice to use no pedals and the Tyler built in boost for lead boosts. If that works, I will be happy.

This may very well be an astonishing piece of equipment (I need to experiment more before making that jump and use it at gig levels again).

I also ordered a 4 ohm Alex Attenuator for my other amp. I used that once at a gig, but, again, modestly. I will have to experiment with that one, too.