Allen Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesmann8, May 5, 2012.

1. bluesmann8

bluesmann8 Senior Member

2. riff1006

riff1006 Supporting Member

That Brown Sugar has been on my short list for a while. I don't know if I'll ever get to it since my short list is getting kinda long. What with all the cool tweed clones and even some vintage Fenders available in this market what's a guy to do? I really like what I saw in another guys sig....the soul is willing but the wallet is weak.

3. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I will be purchasing a chihuahua soon!

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I found a kit built Encore head several years ago. At this point, it's getting more play than several other equally worthy amps. It's the sound, and the versatility. This one had a few small problems to work through. Turns out the speaker ohm switch was miswired all along. Also, my amp tech added a cap to the reverb recovery circuit. That plus no more speaker mismatch has made a real improvement. The amp had tended towards too bassy and lower headroom. I'd considered swapping the stock OT for a larger one, decided not to. The overdrive on this amp is beautiful, too good to mess with.

The RAW switch is the secret sauce. Just a little bit changes the deal, especially useful with single coils. I hardly ever used the MV until recently, now realizing what a little roll-off there can do. Both push the amp towards the tweed side as needed.

Wonderful amp. Definitely VR inspired, that's certainly obvious. But with it's own thing too. The trem is expecially tasty.
    MD

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Great amps and service. Every electric song on our cd I used a classic 10.

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I loved the Old Flame - tone and features. After owning several real deal 1965 Fenders, the OF is my "blackface" amp, loved everything about it.

I had a Brown Sugar too that was pretty cool.

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've been through a slew of vintage Fenders, a number of boutiques and even a couple of custom builds. My Brown Sugar makes me happy every time I plug it in and is a versatile, extremely well built gig monster. I put a 40watt output transformer on the amp and it spans tweedish to brown to blackface territory, runs 6v6, 6l6 or EL 34 power tubes without re-biasing, and with a 12" neo weighs about the same as a DR. It takes pedals quite well and is a blues monster plugged straight in. Top it off with David offering stellar customer service and it's a no brainer for me.