Amp on floor or amp stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderball, May 16, 2011.

1. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

When you are gigging, do you place your amp or cab on the floor or on an amp stand or chair pointing at you?

I always have mine on the floor behind me....

2. spookybonus

spookybonus Member

on the ground...but it is about 5' tall

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie Silver Supporting Member

backstage where I can't hear it, and I monitor through the PA.

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

Depends on the amp. My VHT combo has got to be on the floor for better bass response.

5. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

On a stand that tilts the amp directly up at my head.

6. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

If I want it to sound good, it goes on the floor. Thus, it's always on the floor.

7. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

Always on a stand or a chair. I usually use 1x12 or 2x12 combos.

8. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

on the floor produces better sound, in the same way that turning it up sounds better. unfortunatley both of these techniques are surefire ways to piss off any sound man, multiply this x10 if you're playing in a church.

The problem with putting your amp on teh ground is that unless you're playing a halfstack, the sound is not going to your head, its hitting your legs, and its also beaming the audience in the face. Add to this that people tend to tweak in more treble than they need because they're not listening to the amps actual tone, and you have a recipe for a volume argument. Sound guy (and everyone else who isnt the guitarist) is getting their ears blasted by 3khz, and the guitarist is like 'no way man my tone is fat!' because he's standing next to his amp looking down at it so all he hears are mid and low frequncies.

The number of people who fail to grasp this concept is staggering. Furthermore, the improved bass response you get from putting the amp on the floor is negated by the fact that mic won't pick any of this up really, so if you're in a venue where you need to be miced, you probably are playing a 2x12 combo or less, in which case the amps' height means you aren't hearing it properly and will probably dial in too much treble, and the extra bass response you think you're getting doesn't matter because its being miced anyway. If you're playing a venue large enough to warrant a 4x12 or similar, then the sound is much more evenly dispersed, so this is less of an issue, however you'll still be told to turn down because no sound man is going to rely on your stage sound to fill the venue, he will rather put more through the mains.

9. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

On the floor. Two reasons for that:

1. It sounds better to me on stage. I like the bass response. Seems like the sound is less directional than with an amp on a stand.

2. Most places I play unmiced so the amp has to be loud enough to make the guitar sit where it should in the mix. I don't want all that sound playing straight into my ears.

10. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I've heard this argument in the past, and I've been sympathetic to it; however, my experience tells me that there is something else going on. My amp (Victoria 35210) just doesn't sound the same when it's raised off the ground --- it sounds more metallic and "fragile." Very hard to convey with words. But I've tested this out by recording the amp both raised and on the ground with the mic at the same angle to the amp, and there is a definite difference, and to my ears it sounds far better on the ground.

11. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

floor with legs tilted bck (twin reverb) I can hear it fine.

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I way prefer the sound of it on floor. I know where to put my mic so the sound is exactly like it should sound "in the mix". I know I am not too loud: I have to place it very carefully to ensure the drummer can hear enough of me, and the rest of the band needs to have me in the monitors or else they won't hear me.

A pet peeve of mine is being told that I am too loud... before I have even played a single note. Like sound men and lead singers can tell just by looking that an amp is too loud. Big iron just scares some people.

13. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

I usually put it up so I can hear it. I never really thought about the floor versus stand/chair effecting tone. Back in my even younger and even louder daze I'd play a club where the soundman woul dhave me aim my amps back at me rather than towards the audience. The back of the amp faced the crowd. In this same venue we opened for SRV before TX Flood had come out. We didn't know much about him, really, but the first thign he said when he saw the stage and where the people were to sit was, "Them folks are gonna get their heads cut off."

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Supporting Member

on some kind of stand. that could be a chair, stool, milk crate, tilt-back stand, or even a 4x12 cab. all putting it on the floor does is get me to turn it up to obscenely loud volumes.

15. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

My main amp is a Marshall JCM 800 Dan Torres Hot-Rodded for me years ago. I use a 2x12 Avatar cabinet with scumbacks. That being said, I have one of those "ROCK HARD" flight cases ( They are the best) I set the cabinet on top of the flight case, the head on the cabinet. Get's it up where I can hear it and I'm not blasting everybody in the room out. Unless you have a four twelve cabinet,( And I have seen those old school cats lay a 4x12 cabinet on the floor and point it at the ceiling or point it back at the wall) if you set anything on the floor it should always be blowing up at you, because nothing is as bad as a guitar player who's amp is in the floor and the sound is hitting them in the back of their legs, and the audience and band suffers for it!

16. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

Doesn't matter to me as long as it's pointing directly at the lead singer.

17. monty

monty Member

On the floor, tilted up.

18. Rob G

Rob G Member

I try to leave it on the floor because it sounds better that way, but sometimes I'll tilt it up so it's easier to hear.

19. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

I use a Sound Enhancer stand. It's the best of both worlds. It takes the sound you loose through the back of your amp and funnels it to the front, and it puts the amp on an angle so you can hear it. It add a lot of bass to your amp. I love it!

20. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

I asked this in a specific thread but got no responses bu tmaybe some folks here will offer an opinion. I know you all have been in a situation where you have your amp sitting flat on a stage and it is not all that steady so that when people jump around or maybe even the drummer's kick will make the reverb unit start to just roar every now and again. Any solutions? It can happen on a stand too.