1. We're aware of the search issues and are rebuilding the indexes. This will probably take a few hours. Thanks for your patience.

Ampeg MICRO-VR head

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by fwguitar, Apr 15, 2013.

1. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

I'm looking for a cheap but good bass amp head. I'ts for basement jams with a band. The Ampeg Micro-VR head seems very good on paper for the price I want to pay.

Has anyone tried it?

Or is there a good alternative?

2. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

3. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Of course having more flexibility is a plus for me.

What's the Ampeg sound? I don't know much about bass amps.

4. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

In short: The Ampeg SVT (most rock) and B15 (motown) tube sounds are legendary, and that's what most of their amps offer - even if that sound is achieved with digital processing in its micro-sized heads. They're a great option if you don't want to carry an 80 lb. Ampeg SVT head to gigs.

5. onemind

onemind Supporting Member

I'm seeking the same type of bass amp, good info! Any suggestions for an inexpensive cabinet as well?

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

With a budget in mind, I highly recommend Gallien Krueger Neo cabs. They're light (won't break your back) and have a great, thunderous sound.

Avatar also makes a great Neo (also light) cabinet which can be had for great prices in a used market.

I found my sound in Aguilar products. They're more expensive but I personally find their sound extraordinary.

Lots are up for sale on TalkBass.com classifieds, so taking a peek there is a good idea.

Best of luck to you both.

7. okie

okie Member

I've got a Micro VR and I would also suggest the above head Lublin mentioned. The Micro VR sounds great but it barely keeps up with a hard hitting drummer.

8. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

So I should change my drummer?

9. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I wish that was a feasible option sometimes.

:)

10. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

By doing more research on the web, I found a few more amps that seem good for the price:

Hartke HA-2500
    Fender Rumble 350
    Warwick Profet 3.2

Anybody tried thoses?

11. bassestkkm

bassestkkm Member

I had the rumble for a short while. The earlier ones. I hated it really badly. Maybe it was me but I just didn't like the sound it put out. I settled on an Ashdown Mag once I could afford one. Hartke to me is a little more cheap and I honestly 100% can say if I was in today's market I'd buy the Ampeg for tone and volume.

12. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

Thanks!

13. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

14. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

Thanks for the info. It will probably be the PF-500. I still have to try it.

Now for the cab, I plan to use a bass speaker that was used by a DJ in clubs. I used it as a bass cab before with a drummer and it works fine.

On the back of the speaker, it says 8 ohm, 150W RMS/300W peak.

All the info I have on the PF-500 says 4 ohm. How will that affect the power on that speaker? Will it be louder or quieter? I don't have the old amp I used before on the speaker so I can't check what it was.

15. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I'd recommend using a bass cabinet meant for bass guitar as the drivers are designed specifically for that use and will sound optimal.

At 8 ohms the PF500 will be putting out 300 watts. To reap its full 500 watts you'll need a 4 ohm cabinet or two 8 ohm cabinets. Since it's a solid state amp, there are no adverse effects from plugging an 8 ohm speaker into it.

16. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

Thanks. My big worry was damaging the amp. I'm still gonna use my speaker because as I'm buying a house, I have enough expenses as it is.

17. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

All good and understood. Congrats on the home purchase!

18. fwguitar

fwguitar Member

I also noticed that the PF-500 seems to have a Line Out. As a solid state amp, I could also use it to plug the bass directly in my PA mixer without a cab, right?

Edit: Never mind, I downloaded the user's manual. That thing really does everything I need!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  19. losergeek

losergeek Member

My wife has the pf-500 and we both use it - it's really great. She got a restocked unit for 289$ and it was pristine. She had a custom 2x10 built locally for it.

20. 8raw

8raw Member

If I'm looking at buying a separate head and cab, should I be buying a cab that tolerates MORE power than the amp? For instance, if I buy a 200 watt head would I then buy a 300 watt rated cab? It seems like there should be a little extra room in the speakers.