Any love for Boss RV3?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coralreefer, Aug 28, 2011.

1. coralreefer

coralreefer Member

Man, I took a flyer and picked up one of these pedals and it is sweet! Lots of options--reverb, delay, reverb-delay--very simple and I know, same as delay pedal + reverb pedal, but unless Boss just wanted to be able to sell twice the pedals, I can't figure out why they quit making this...I LIKE!

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Yeah, that seems to be most everybody's reaction. The RV5 just isnt the same...

3. bbrunskill

bbrunskill Member

The Verb+Delay setting is great - slightly gritty digital ambient sound. Instant early Coldplay. Must hunt down another one.

4. seisxseisxseis

seisxseisxseis Member

I have no use for it in my current band, but it's the only pedal I won't sell even if I'm not using it.

5. Hateandwar

Hateandwar Member

Ive got one. Not on my board but it sounds awesome... The fender 63' reverb is great too

6. dap9

dap9 Member

I had one back when they first came out. Back then my rig was just a Tremoverb, '83 TS9, and the RV-3. I sold the RV-3 for some reason years later and regretted it. I got another one a year or so ago and it was nothing like I remembered. Much more digital and colder sounding than I remembered - funny how tastes change because I could have sworn I'd love it. But alas, tastes do change and when I got the second one, it was nothing that sounded good to my ears.

I finally settled on the El Cap and the Skrecho.

7. mboersma

mboersma Member

I freaking love my RV2. Id take it over an RV3 or RV5 anyday

8. Fuzz Of Doom

Fuzz Of Doom Member

Love mine. Sooo glad I didn't sell it last year when I was searching for other reverbs. Got it for $35 two years ago and it's only left my board for a week when I was being blinded by GAS.

9. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I have two.

Good enough for EITS, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, etc.

10. greenlander

greenlander Member

Well, almost. The RV-3 is a fantastic pedal, nice huge hall/plate verbs. The RV-5 can't really compete with it there. BUT. The RV-5 has Modulate, which has pretty much become a benchmark sound. Most people with an RV-5 on their board basically only use the Modulate setting. It's worth it just for that one sound. Plus the RV-5 has stereo INs/OUTs.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

I could only find one setting on the RV5 that I liked, nothing else worked for me, so I pulled it and switched.

12. mboersma

mboersma Member

the modulate is pretty rad

13. 9520575

9520575 Member

I don't like the rv3
    I do like the rv5
    That is all

14. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Any love for the RV3? Lots. It has this "cold", slightly metallic tone that is fantastic for certain uses, plus it has the Tone knob for small adjustments. Works beautifully on short and huge reverbs as well. Won't get lost in a mix. Famous users: Isis, Radiohead, Sigur Ros (not 100% sure on that) etc etc. I've written more impressions on lots of past threads. Got mine for a good price from local ads, and have zero GAS for any new and sexy TGP darlings.

15. jgyn

jgyn Member

I like the RV3 for extreme ambient sounds.

16. LouRossi

LouRossi Silver Supporting Member

Found a rv3 in mint condition and picking up this weekend! any one have an analogman mod one?

17. Contemporaneous

Contemporaneous Member

I've been trying to get a cheap Rv-3 in australia for ages. I love my RV-5 so much and all this talk of it being like 48943569 x better makes me too happy. On my board that i Have an RV-5 on I also run an EHX cathedral. I would probably swap it for an RV-3 if I ever got a good deal. Both guitarist from The japanese post-rock band mono run RV-5 and RV-3 as far as i know. I think one of them has that boss-fender verb too.

18. thewex

thewex Member

i guess i got mine mid 90s. i never really loved the sound of it, but i only used it sparingly. i'm using it a little more these days, and don't really need anything else i guess but still surprised it has this following

19. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Supporting Member

I wouldn't mind having an RV-3 again. I don't think there was anything particularly special about it, and wouldn't buy one for a high price, but it was a nice simple, decent sounding work-horse delay and reverb in one pedal.

It'd be interesting to see if Boss bring out another reverb/delay in the future.

20. Alabama Man

Alabama Man Supporting Member

I love my RV-3 & RV-5. Hard to pass on both when I traded my Big Muff NYC RI for the RV-3 and $60 for the RV-5.