Anyone else lovin' their Grosh Retro Classic?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dave_fisher, Jan 23, 2006.

1. dave_fisher

dave_fisher Silver Supporting Member

I recently got a GRC from Paul P. on the forum, and played it at church yesterday. I've been noodling in the basement for a few weeks, and I'm very happy with the vintage sounds and modern neck feel! Mine has a 1-11/16" nut width and big frets, standard medium neck carve, alder and rosewood... It has Suhr pups, noisey but man do they quack!

I've probably owned 20 Strats over the last 20 years - US and MIJ Fenders, G&L's, Shecters, and other high-quality medium-priced guitars, and finally paid the price for a nice one. I'm sure this one will be in the quiver for quite a while!

Anyone else enjoying their Grosh?

2. A. Tad Askew

A. Tad Askew Member

Yes, I love mine as well. Wonderful broken-in feeling right out of the box. I have a custom seafoam green w/brazilian fretboard. Lovely '60's vibe....

3. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

I love my Groshs - feel, tone, and look is it for me. I've found over the years my personal spec is a couple of Lollars in the neck and middle, with a SD Little Screamin Demon h/b in the bridge - makes for the best sounding leads and sweetest sounding rhythms combined in one guitar I've yet to experience in all my years of playing.

Lollar Specials in this one:

[​IMG]

and Blondes in the Seafoam:

[​IMG]

4. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Yep, I've tried the rest and kept the best. The neck had me at "Hello". Fralin Blues in one, Lollar Blackface/Special in the other. Both alder/rosewood.

Beautiful guitars, Lightnin. Now I'm gassin' for another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I had a Grosh strat at one point and liked it alot but it didn't stick with me... I could definitely see getting another sometime...

Believe it or not, the best sounding Strat I've ever had is my G&L S-500 (!), better than the Grosh, Suhrs and Fender Custom Shops that have passed through this house..... but that's not gonna keep me from getting another Grosh or Suhr or Fender CS sometime ;)

First I'm getting a Lentz (or two :)), but Grosh is real high up on my radar screen

6. cg

cg Gold Supporting Member

I love my 2 Retro Classics - one is alder and the other is ash. I love them so much they are my only 2 electrics at this time. Outstanding guitars indeed!

Alder:
    [​IMG]

Ash:

[​IMG]

The one I foolishly sold a few years ago:

[​IMG]

7. 1radicalron

1radicalron Supporting Member

I have Tried Every Modern Strat on the market. But I have Found the Best of the Best, It is the Retro Classic made by Don Grosh. I love them so much that I Now Own 11 of them. - Here are a few Pic's of my Favorite Ones:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It looks just Like a Telefuncken U-47
    with Leather

8. cg

cg Gold Supporting Member

Which humbuckers have you found work especially well in the Retro Classics? I think I am going to drop one into my alder RC. I am currently considering a Fralin Umbucker or a Suhr DSV.

9. Don L

Don L Member

I have a Lollar Imperial in the bridge of my RC, and I like it a lot. It balances well with the Lollar Special single coils in the neck and the middle.

10. fatback

fatback Member

...now that sounds familiar. ;) Hope you are enjoying the guitar Don!

I know that 1radicalron's black Grosh has a Tom Holmes 456 in the bridge and a Fralin Steelpole in the neck and super jumbo frets. It is a rock machine!

Don does great work!

11. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Lollar Specials in the neck and middle seem to be a popular choice - might have to step up from my Lollar Blackface.

They aren't too hot for good blues work are they?

12. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

Beautiful guitars everyone - haven't seen many tie dyes from Don for awhile. I guess they aren't that popular, but I really like them. Here's one I talked Stu at Fat Sound into selling me a few years ago

[​IMG]

Red Lizard - I personally don't find the Specials to be overly hot for blues in the ash / maple guitar I have them in, not sure how they'd sound in an alder - r/w though. I prefer the Blondes that are in the Seafoam - they handle overdrive really nicely - and clean they're exceptionally sweet sounding. I like them enough that ordered another set last week although I've been really tempted to try some others out.

13. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

I don't own one, but I will some day. Best "strat" I ever laid my hands on was a Grosh Retro Classic owned by one of the guys at Techstar in Nashville. Some day!

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have 3 RCs, love them. I think they are very underrated. I also have a VT and a Setneck, all 5 are incredible. I also own, Gibson, Baker, Tyler and others, and the Grosh guitars are easily in the same league as all of them.

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I have a similar pair:
    alder/RW
    ash/maple

Bought both used, and for the money they were the finest Strat style guitars I could find. Don's fretwork is some of the best I've seen on guitars at any price.

If I let the alder/RW go, it will only be because the neck profile is not what I've come to prefer over time.

16. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I've let a couple go for that reason. I keep telling myself to stick to medium C and nothing larger, but some are just too tempting and I easily laspe into denial.
    :horse

17. andergtr

andergtr Member

wonderful guitars. don is a helluva guy, too. here's mine...

john ou

[​IMG]

18. slowburn

slowburn Member

that's a sweet grosh john. you must change your handle to groshgtr now.

19. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

ooh.... I'm lusting for one!

20. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Gold Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    Love mine (RC, alder body braz fretboard, med-lrg neck, 6105 frets, Fralin BS BS SP43). Would like to pick up an ash with maple neck/board sometime when I can swing it.