Anyone use guitar amps for bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by fakeox, Apr 5, 2012.

1. fakeox

fakeox Member

That was about 10 yrs ago, Acoustic guitar amp, Kustom guit or bass amp & a Mann eb3. thought about this clip 'cause i'm thinking of using a Twin Rev for a few gigs. Comments?

2. LarryN

LarryN Member

I used to see a bass player that used a Dual Showman and sounded great. The only problem I foresee is the speakers weren't designed for low frequencies at that wattage, unless you were playing low volume music, I'd plug into a different stouter cab. The normal channel would be cleaner than the reverb/vibrato channel.

3. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

As stated, make sure your speakers can handle the lows. You'll definitely get more oomph from a modern bass cab (sealed with proper bass drivers). With that, a TR will be plenty unless you're playing a big joint with no FOH support. Using guitar speakers in an open back cab like the TR though, you're not going to get a whole lot of headroom (before it maxes out or you blow a driver).

4. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

If you're intending to develop any volume, you'll likely blow one (or both) of the speakers. Guitar speakers, particularly those in an open back cabinet, can easily get pushed well beyond their cone excursion limits. While guitar players are often concerned about matching speakers' wattage handling with their amp's output, bass players are far more concerned with xmax.

The second issue is that the speakers won't be producing true bass at any point, they'll be producing fairly high order harmonics of those bass notes, in part because the speakers and the cabinet roll off far above the bass range.

Go to www.barefacedbass.com and pull up the Technical articles. They'll give you a bit more insight into why this is a generally bad idea.

5. fakeox

fakeox Member

Thanks guys!

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

right; in essence, guitar amps are fine, guitar speakers not so much, and open-back guitar cabs not at all.

7. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Modded Bogen J330 using low input (padded) channels (4 simultaneous inputs).

Running through a 1x10 open back with WGS G10C/S. Never crank it, and if I did, it would be through a more powerful--and closed back--speaker cab.

Love the tone. The whole band can plug into one amp. Eh... not that we need to do that anymore, but it's nice for lessons.

8. fakeox

fakeox Member

Ah yes, the good ol' days eh?

9. stewthom

stewthom Member

On a related note, anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding playing a Fender Bass VI through a Twin Reverb? That's what I've planned to do, and the Bass VI isn't exactly the "bassiest" of basses, but I guess we're still talking about sending a bass frequency through a guitar speaker. Thanks!

10. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

My bass player tried out my LTD Bassman at a bar gig and loved it. Had a combination of Webers and Jensons and they handled the bass just fine at lower gig volume. Punchy.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

That's because the Bassman is a bass amp, not a guitar amp. The RI is marketed as one due to the great tone in the guitar register.

The only rig I ever plugged a bass into was a Musicman HD-130 Reverb head with a 2x12 sealed cabinet. It was OK, but lacked bottom. This is typical: bass amps are voiced for low range notes and guitar amps for mids. By the way, paired with a Hartke 410XL cab, the Musicman was a great bass amp.

12. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

We had a guy who used a Dual Showman, too, but the speakers were JBL D140s. We later swapped them out for Altec Lansing 421s. The cab was fine (though not designed for bass), but it probably didn't get the best from the speakers.

13. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

here is a fun idea

use a guitar amp, use 2 cabinets a guitar cab and a bass

this works really well for both bass and guitar... adds bottom to guitar and mids for bass... i'v been thinking about a cab with a 10 inch bass speaker and an inefficient higher wattage greenback clone, each with its own input

but as already posted, watch the volume when playing bass through guitar speakers

14. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Not exactly. You need to have some filters that will keep the bass out of the guitar speaker.

15. NaylorStrat

NaylorStrat Member

I use a '68 Twin Reverb (100 watts) through a newer-made Acoustic brand B410 cab (bigger gigs I add a B115 cab). It kills in the tone dept, and for small to medium gigs it has plenty of power.

[​IMG]

16. _jmp

_jmp Member

i'm playing through a '79 Marshall 2203 into an ampeg 810 right now...mainly because my svt needs a new preamp tube that i haven't replaced...

what i love about it is the beautiful top end, it's magnificent to my ear...

i couldn't gig with it unless it was a very quiet setting, because there isn't enough clean headroom, but for very low volume stuff, really nice

17. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Don't even need to do that. There are any number of full-range bass cabinets out there these days that will handle whatever you can toss at them with either instrument. Same cabinets can be used with keyboards or electronic drums. The key for bass (and for the drums and keyboards) is a low frequency driver with a lot of cone excursion ("wattage" is less of a concern to bass players, obviously). Often these same cabinets will have a mids driver that will handle guitar easily...

[​IMG]

18. SkippyD

SkippyD Member

I have had good luck with using an old Ampeg V4 as a bass amp for years.

19. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie Member

Would you use a bass amp to play lead guitar for a gig ? Bass guitar amps were designed for bass guitars. A bass thru a guitar rig ,unless it's an old 100 watt Marshal full stack, sounds bad anemic. and if it is a combo you will be buying new speakers soon.

20. bluemood

bluemood Member

I use a Polytone mini brute IV works great