Anyone who has a Fender Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joey22, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Joey22

Joey22 Member

Hey guys!

Got a Fender Twin Reverb 1965 RI about 2 months ago, LOVE IT!!! I love lots of clean headroom so it's perfect for me!

I am just curious as to what settings you guys use on your twin? I play a Fender Standard Strat and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I play blues and jazz.

Look forward to seeing your responses!

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Turn it all the way up and get some Bloomfield going with that bad boy.

3. Joey22

Joey22 Member

haha....I think I would lose my hearing very quickly!

4. Glide

Glide Member

Play it in stereo with a 68 Plexi.

[​IMG]

5. stratton

stratton Supporting Member

I guess you're not going to crank that bad boy for overdrive....That's a great amp.

IMO, if you're using it for a Strat and LP, the Twin sounds great with both.

To start: Get a Tube Screamer-ish pedal. Every Fender I've owned seems to come alive at about 3 and get better from there. Turn the amp up to about 3, treble 5-6, mid 6-7 for the Strat and 5-6 with the LP, bass 3-4.

Should do for starters. Adjust for room size and type, pickup used, etc.

6. 6120

6120 Member

The magic ratio is as follows:

6 volume
    6 treble
    3 mid
    2 bass
    2 reverb

Know as the magic ratio. Remeber 632

7. guitarsam

guitarsam Member

Wow, glide you have two killer amps to go with your twin!

8. Joey22

Joey22 Member

Anyone else?

9. JonnyAlright

JonnyAlright Member

haha, basically my exact same setup, except my '68 plexi is a Germino remake (still sounds phenomenal!) and my twin is a Blackface.

I play it about mid-volume with the bass around halfway and the treble and mids up pretty high, and will push it with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. You're never going to get bad sounds out of the twin, you just sometimes have to be careful you don't get too bright, because they really can get piercing...

But let's just say you shouldn't have a problem cutting through the mix on stage.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Silver Supporting Member

bass between 3 and 4 most of the time, treble between 5 and 6, maybe lower depending but never much above 6 mods between 6 and 10 depending and bright switch off unless I am going for a super clean/clicky almost solid state tone then I'll turn the bright switch on and turn the treble down a bit more...anyway, reverb on 2 and a half or so and volume depending on venue and needs...

11. Joey22

Joey22 Member

Nice rig!

12. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

I had a 65' Blackface Twin that sounded good at any volume and setting.....but really screamed when dimed with my LP......the windows in the house and the neighbors couldn't take it....so I eventually sold it...but that's one tone I still have in my head that makes me smile...

13. openbar

openbar Member

A Fender Twin on 6, I like the way you think sir!

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

To get some natural tube tone with a LP try treble around 4,mids 7,bass 2 or lower,volume 3-4 it should get you started use a T/S type pedal.:BEER

15. JRE

JRE Member

I'm running my '74 Twin through the bright channel with volume at 5, treble at 4, mids at 6 and bass at 6.

You guys seem to be running the bass at muuuuuuuuuuuch lower levels. I must be a little weird but i love its bass frequencies

16. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I used to think that Twins would not work well with OD pedals until I took some advice from a few well known Twin players: treble at 6, bass and mid between 4 and 5, bright switch off, and plug into the low input (I use the reverb channel). I should also mentioned that I use tele's. I'm telling you, it sounds amazing. I've owned a load of boutique amps (and still have a few) and this rig can hang with any of them. FWIW I use the following pedals....Barber Direct Drive, Barber Small Fry, Sparkle Drive, and a TS9 (plus two delays, chorus, and trem all through a GigRig Pro-14).

17. zosozep7

zosozep7 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Joey

There is a band here in my area that is called the Muggs. They finished 10th or 12th on Fox Next great Rock Band about a year and a half ago. Danny Methric uses a Fender Twin and a Fulltone Fulldrive. Check them out here:
    http://www.themuggs.com/music/
    Killer sound dude!! Hope you enjoy! These guys are old school rock!

18. Joey22

Joey22 Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

19. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Hey Celestion101,

Thanks for the advise on the low input with O.D...really changes the characteristics of the amp with a pedal. What speakers are you using in your Twin?

20. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I read in a few threads here on TGP a while back that Fender really got it right this time with the .... and I can't recall if it was the '57 Tweed RI, or the '65 RI. Anyone recall? I hear good things about both, but there was one of those two that was especially highly touted.