Appetite for Destruction tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by b1adefury, Feb 23, 2009.

1. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

Hey guys, im new here. They say that this is where the gear experts are.. lol

I am looking for a od/dist pedal that can do a great Appetite for Destruction tone.. crunchy, snarly and harsh in a pleasant way. Note that I am not looking specifically for a slash tone and I don't think his UYD, snakepit or VR tones are fantastic.

I am using a blackheart little giant and a les paul. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

klon

3. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

checking it out now

4. Doug

Doug Member

Respectfully, I wholeheartedly disagree. Try a high gain Marshall-type pedal such as the MI Audio Crunch Box. The Klon can do gain, but not Appetite gain IMO. The Klon is designed to take what your amp is currently giving you, and just giving you more of it (if that makes any sense).

5. rust1975

rust1975 Member

Proco Rat. Period. End of thread.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

If you're running a Marshall type amp, I'd suggest going another route and get your amp modded by Dave Friedman. He runs RackSystemsLTD in North Hollywood.

Here's a clip (Pete Thorn on guitar) using a modded Plexi RI with his Custom 45, Brown Eye and Hairy Brown Eye mods. I think the Hairy Brown Eye mod is the one you're looking for to do AFD tones.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m75clips/m75-rs-thorn.mp3

7. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

I have been looking at the crunch box for a long time. I do think it sounds fkin good but it doesnt quite nail the AFD tone. Can any crunch box users here disprove me?

8. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

Yes I do think the Rat has a lot of the AFD characteristics, but from clips I have heard it is too harsh and fuzzy. It sounds a little like Nirvana which is too grungy for AFD. Can it be tweaked to remove that Kurt Cobainness ? Or am I totally wrong about the Rat?

9. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

Oh my god, it sounds quite close. A little bit modern sounding but yea it definitely has the AFD vibe. I am using a blackheart little giant though.

10. Cheap Trick

Cheap Trick Member

Try a crunch box or a Rat pedal, plus an eq pedal to get that sound.

11. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

Good idea. If i get the Rat do I have to get the old one or will the new rat 2 work fine?

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The RAT can get you a lot of the way there, but I do agree that without the right amp it can be a little sterile

Personally, I think the Tonebone Hot British can nail Slash's intro to Sweet Child o Mine.... the only downside is it may be too gainy. I'd also recommend having a look at the Monte Allums Sustainia modded MT-2. Don't dismiss it outta hand, it rocks!

13. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Get one of the #39 Amps from Tim Caswell-he is the guy who modded the Marshall that belonged to SIR and was used by Slash on AFD and also George Lynch around the same time.

14. rust1975

rust1975 Member

Here's the secret to using the Rat. Drive around noon, preferably under. Yeah, it can be buzzy but at lower gain settings it's pure raunchy distortion which is what you want. Trust me, I was a big GnR fan and of all the pedals I've owned (including the Crunch Box, lame and overhyped IMHO) this is what you want.

15. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

I'm not sure if there is a pedal that will pull AFD off.
    AFD, is a lot of amp to my ears.
    But if I had to pick something, it would be Marshall-inspired pedals.

16. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

Thanks man. I am 3/4 convinced that I need a Rat right now. Is there a specific version of the Rat that I should get?

17. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

This would be the best option but I'm afraid it would be overkill for my uses now.

18. bjjp2

bjjp2 Gold Supporting Member

Wampler Super Plextortion

19. b1adefury

b1adefury Member

You're right, it is a lot of amp. Even slash has failed to recreate his AFD tone using his newer Marshalls. I guess I just want to get in the ballpark.. that tone isnt THAT complex! it sounds so raw.. surely there is a pedal out there that can emulate that tone reasonably well?

20. cube

cube Member

purple plexi 800 can get close ..its does 80's tone easy