Axe FX MIDI controller

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by emperor_black, Mar 19, 2010.

1. emperor_black

emperor_black Member

OK, I'm having terrible problems with the Behringer FCB1010. Also, only after I held it did I realize its HUGE for my needs. I'm a 5 to 10 patches kinda guy and dont need 100 patches. Also, I dont need two expression pedals.

So, what's the smallest MIDI controller for the Axe which has just one expression pedal? The liquid stuff is way too expensive.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Rocktron Midi-mate?

3. Luke

Luke Member

Hmmm.

I just got the FCB, what problems?

BTW, I have a spare Midimate I can sell you if you wish to go that route.

4. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306 Member

The midimate is nice - had one before my All Access, but it doesnt have a FC, ou have to add one sperately. Also while smaller in size than the FB, not by much. It still has the 10 buttons though. If you use 5 for patch and 5 for IA its quite a neat little controller.

Yamahe do a board with one built in FC, though I dont think its mucg smaller than the Behringer:

http://music.yamaha.com/products/ma...7A9?productId=106330&hierarchy_id=16240_16244

While Roland do a smaller board - but it still has 2 FCs:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FC-300/

5. cob666

cob666 Member

What about the Rocktron All Access LTD, similar to the All Access but with a foot controller?

I've been eying this one myself but haven't seen too many axe-fx specific reviews about it.

6. emperor_black

emperor_black Member

Thanks guys. :) Luke, I would like to have at least one footcontroller. :)

How good is the Lexicon MPX R1 ? One's for sale and I was leaning toward it. Let me know if you guys have used it. Thanks!

The Rocktron All Access is $1129?? I dont think I wanna spend that much on a footcontroller!

7. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Gold Supporting Member

I use a Digitech control 8 for now. It satisfies your requirements, is easy to use, fits in my double gigbag along with cables so I can make the gig on one trip. Not the best expression pedal, but adequate. Pedals are sturdy. Easy to program.

However, I'm waiting for the Fractal box...

DS

8. mrscott99

mrscott99 Supporting Member

RMC audio Master mind

9. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

You can attach a foot controller to the midi mate or just plug one into the back of the axe using the external jacks.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Used All Access are running in the $450-500 range now. Well worth that used price point. New? No way.

11. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

I'm using a MidiMate with a Boss volume pedal as an expression pedal and couldn't be happier. Very flexible, easy to configure and cheap.

12. banjoze

banjoze Member

I agree on the FCB1010... I bought one that I've been using with my AxeFx. Yes, it will switch presets, but it's quirky (I sometimes have to shut it off and on to get it to sync up with the AxeFx) and the pedals just bite. Doing volume swells with this after using my Ernie Ball is just painful.

I definitely plan to upgrade, but, like you, am not planning to pay a grand for a midi floorboard.. that's ridiculously priced.

13. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I haven't actually hooked it up and tried it, but since my GT-10 is now retired, I plan on using it as the controller for my Ultra. If I am reading the manuals right, it should be able to change patches in all three Axe banks, act as a MIDI CC foot control, and provide four additional PB switches for FX on/off control.

If this actually works (I think I read somewhere that it does), you can get used Boss GT-6,8,10's cheaper than just about any of the dedicated MIDI controllers.

JWW

14. emperor_black

emperor_black Member

Yeah, I had a GT-8 once and was able to hook it up with a JMP-1 and switch presets as a MIDI footswitch. But I dont have it anymore to test with the axe. :puh I once saw under completed listings a GT-8 sell for $75 with free shipping!! :bonk:bonk

15. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The Boss GT's are incredibly sturdy and have a good feeling expression pedal too. I have been using a GT-8 for years as my main tone machine and intend to try to get it to midi-control my AxeFx. The other + would be that I would have a workable backup right at my feet in case anything malfunctioned on the AxeFx.

16. cob666

cob666 Member

I had NO idea the All Access was that expensive, didn't even look at the price when I looked it up. I haven't purchased a MIDI controller for my Axe-FX yet and I'm leaning toward a Ground Control Pro. The ONLY downside I can see with the GCP is that it doesn't display the tuner.

17. localmotion411

localmotion411 Gold Supporting Member

Wait and get the Fractal box.

18. banjoze

banjoze Member

any reason to believe that is imminent?

19. emperor_black

emperor_black Member

What's that? Google or fractalaudio.com doesn't show anything? :huh

20. banjoze

banjoze Member

As soon as it ships I'll use my amazing powers of postdiction and retroactive clairvoyance to tell you when it will arrive and what it will do.... Nostradamus would be so proud of me....