Bad Monkey or Blues Driver.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zim, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Zim

Zim Member

I didn't want to do the whole Bad Monkey VS Blues Driver bit, but...

Just wanting your guys input on the pro/cons of each, and any comments you guys had.I have the chance to get either one, or just get em both, but I should just pick one.

Also, is the USA Bad Monkeys any better or worse than their over seas counter parts? Or just the same? The one in question is MIA, so I was just wondering. Anyone think it will be a collectors item?

BTW, Both have no mods, fully stocked.

Thanks for the input....

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Give the monkeylove...

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Both are on my board right now and I use em for different things. If I had to choose one of the 2 Id take the Blues Driver. Mine are modded with montes mods. I think I have at least 4 BD-2's right now cause Im addicted to modding the things.

Yeah BD-2 w/ an H2O mod...

4. sandman

sandman Member

I'd take the OD-3. It's just in beetween tonally and just right for me.

5. Zim

Zim Member

Its just between the Bad Monkey and the Blues Driver.

I like sound clips of the BM more than I have the BD. It is between these two, because I'm getting one or the other in trade towards a pedal I'm selling. I'm getting either or for $40, I know the BM is only $40, but his brand new and MIA, the BD is as new, but a little scuffed. I think both have the boxes and what not. I know the BD cost more to buy new, but I'm not too sure I will like it as much as the BM.

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Both are different types of pedals.
    The Bad Monkey is a TS type of pedal and is surprisingly good, especially at their price point. Not going to make any difference where the Monkey is made, the US ones sound the same as the others, probably due to the surface mount electronics on their boards. Also to do any serious mods to the Monkey would be rather difficult, due to the surface mount components.
    The Blues Driver IMHO only excels when it is modded. The stock ones I don't particularly care for because they can be kinda buzzy and flabby. I love what Keeley does to the BD2. He turns the BD2 into kinda a cross between a Timmy and an OCD, making it very versatile and trans parent. Simply an outstanding pedal that has survived on my pedal board. The Monkey however I don't keep on my board, but I do keep one as backup just in case of a failure. Good cheap insurance!
    Hope that helps! ;^)

7. ungarn

ungarn Supporting Member

No doubt...go with the Bad Monkey...

8. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

BD just has more gain, I have a bad monkey and it's great, but it doesn't nearly match the BD in terms of gain. Both sound great to me (I've played a BD).

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

My Bad Monkey excels with single coils, the overdrive smooths the high end in a pleasing way. I also have a Keeley BD and it is really fine with humbuckers, and good with single coils. These are my 2 fav overdrives, although my Barber DDSS is really close when I want more gain.

10. Zim

Zim Member

Thanks for the input guys. BM seems to be the one most dig. I was on the fence w/ the MIA vs overseas thing. I can get either for $40, and the BM is $40 new and the BD-2 is $79, but I guessing even if I went with the BD-2, I may never really like it. Bottom line is when I try em both out.

11. robelinda2

robelinda2 Member

BM for sure, the stock BD is awful to my ears.

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Senior Member

Not a bad choice, its gotta be better than the BM and BD.

13. 205

205 Senior Member

For me it's the Blues Driver (stock) I've been using it for a good 3 years now and still love it.

I owned the Bad Monkey it's ok but in a live situation, it's an average pedal to my ears.

14. therealting

therealting Member

I have an Analogman Silver Mod, an Analogman King of Tone and the Bad Monkey... I like them all, but the Bad Monkey is the one I'd take if I just want one pedal to stick in the guitar gigbag... it doesn't sound as smooth as the other two, but the bass and treble controls really make a big difference, and you can actually dial in a passable rock tone by cranking the bass and treble and gain, something I can't do with the others.

I tried the Blues Driver (only stock though), and it didn't do anything for me.

15. Zim

Zim Member

seems like some monkey love in my near future.

16. Flux

Flux Member

Bad Monkey. A useful pedal for getting clean boost, surprisingly transparent and at that price point it's a no-brainer. Unlike the BD the BM at gainy settings doesn't have that brittle 'transistor' edge I waste my time trying to dial out with run-of-the-mill boost pedals.

17. ungarn

ungarn Supporting Member

No doubt...the BD was always kinda spitty sounding for me. The Indyguitarist BD I had was better than stock (more Hi Fi and/or transparent) but still not as good as a BM.

18. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

dude, for $40, get the BD. You can pick up the BM anywhere for under $40 and it really makes no difference where its made, as stated previously. You'll have to try the BD on your own rig setup to see if you really like it; but, what I'd do is get the BD, then send it off to be keeley modded--total cost would be about $100 for a killer OD pedal! <--this is the what I'd do...for sure the best thing I think for you to do too, given your situation.

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

monkeylove,the clear winner...

20. glenecho

glenecho Member

My Bad Monkey sounds great on my old Marshall, my old Fender, and my brand new Mesa. For the money...it's just ridiculous.

When I bought mine I also picked up a Digitech Screamin' Blues in a package deal. A nice pedal for some sounds...still trying to figure out where it fits in best. I know you didn't ask about it...but I told ya anyways.