Best amp with Dumble cleans for John Mayer tone about 1000$

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DimaMirnyi, Dec 6, 2013.

1. DimaMirnyi

DimaMirnyi Member

Im looking for an amp that gives me John Mayer kind of Fender/Dumble cleans like this http://youtu.be/qAOUF50wQfM maybe for 1000 - 1300$.Witch amps are more Dumblish?Want some suggestions.Thanks

2. Zakko

Zakko Member

Can't go wrong with a pushed Hot Rod Deluxe

3. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    BlackFaced SilverFace Twin or Dual Showman w/Reverb.
    Mebbe do that changed midrange value mod.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Ethos Overdrive pedal into a BadCat unleash. Should be able to do it for less than a $1000 easy and it will actually sound similar, much closer than any Fender type solution.

5. Echoes

Echoes Member

you can get blackface Fender Pro amps for about that range....NONE better IMHO.

6. zwish

zwish Supporting Member

I've snagged Mesa Lonestar Classics for under $1k used before. I wouldn't say it does the dumble clean, it's much more along the lines of a Fender Twin but I've used it on a ton of gigs for Mayer covers and similar tones and it was spot on. The gain channel on the Lonestar is particularly good with single coils since it has tons of low end. This amp and an OD pedal will take you a long way.

[​IMG]

7. majorminor

majorminor Supporting Member

Could a black or silver face Super do this tone?

8. woof*

woof* Member

I just sold mine for 2k, you know where to get one for 1000$? Link please?

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Member

Absolutely any Fender Blackface amp or any amp that's a derivative of a Fender Blackface amp -- turn it up to 4 or 5, add some delay (as he has). Please don't believe you need a Dumble-type amp to get that very basic Strat tone.

10. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I'd get a bandmaster if that's the sound you're after. For me, I concentrate on getting the feel and phrasing right for his stuff. My amp is very vox derivative but people always comment on how good it sounds when I do stuff like Mayer.

11. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Any (used) SRRI or a big clean amp like the Mesa Lonestar mentioned above. Put the clean channel of the Ethos in front of it and you are all set to go.

12. Guinness Lad

You don't need the Fender, just get a unleash and use the 100 watt amp to power the Ethos. It gets you everything you could ask for headroom forever, and a channel switcher preamp based on the Dumble ODS. I have this stuff at home, it's excellent.

13. T92780

T92780 Gold Supporting Member

Your so close at $1,300.00, why not wait and save up $200.00-$300.00 more and get a used Two Rock Studio Pro 22 or 35? Just need a TS808RI and a used Katana and you're done....then work on your phrasing and touch.

In the end, this is where you'll end up, so bypass wasting money on band aides, they never satisfy in the end, especially those buying cheaper amps and thinking pedals will get them to the finish line.....it won't.

14. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Ceriatone OTS would be the go to option I guess... Have one and love it! While searching for it I've seen a couple of Fuchs modded amps going for about the same, never tried one, but I guess they must be really nice.

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I'm not familiar with the unleash. Is the power amp built into it? He would still need a speaker cab right? If so, that's why I suggested a combo.

16. blues

blues Supporting Member

Dumble used EV12 speakers in alot of his amps,I heard a clip of one with an altec too. Maybe try ev,dumble type pedal,and some of the suggested amps.

Dumble Combo with altec speaker,no pedal, 335 type guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1mrbqyEyw

Little off topic but the bf princeton shared the some circuit as the sf up to 1976. If your looking a clean fenders with a lower budget.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  17. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

That was a cool looking guitar in that clip. Was it his Sig Model?

18. Guinness Lad

It's a 100 watt amp, costs about $325 used, and to this a used ethos for about $450 and a cabinet you have quite the rig.

19. DimaMirnyi

DimaMirnyi Member

Thanks man.I'll better save some money and wait than buying something that would not make me happy))But I found TR studio pro 35 only for 2100$.Is it a good price for used 35?And does it loud enough for bar-club gigs?

20. direct

direct Member

35 Watts is going to be plenty for a bar-club gig.