Best budget modern metal amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaDaMz, May 15, 2013.

1. TaDaMz

TaDaMz Member

I am kinda new to the world of tube amps. I play any and all styles but and am in search of that perfect modern metal tone.

Recently got a Marshall DSL JCM2000 w/ 1960b cab. I play through the OD1 red channel with gain about halfway up and EQ and presence to taste. I run through a TS type OD as a clean boost (BBE Green Screamer) with either an EMG 81/85 or Gibson 498t/490r. I also have an EQ in the loop. This rig seems to do ANYTHING I want; except metal.

So what I am wondering is... what is the best "budget" modern metal amp? Peavey seems like an affordable brand. Maybe the valveking? Whatever I buy or trade for will be used. Not looking to get rid of the Marshall; just want to be able to get a nice tight mid-scooped modern metal tone. Cheaper the better. Whatever amp I get will be used primarily for metal.

Or... is there any changes to my rig you could suggest? Anyone ever use a DSL for metal?

2. pat1929

pat1929 Supporting Member

if you like your amp, the best and cheapest route would be to get a pedal /or rackmount preamp to run through your power amp in.
    ie, engl 530, mako mak4,etc. or most any AMT legend series 2 pedals.

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Supporting Member

5150 is great for metal and cheap

4. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Used Peavey 5150 or XXX

5. germs

germs Member

If you end up going Peavey, stick to the 5150/6505 series. They're the metal standard.

6. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

A big factor is speaker cabinet... I bet if you plug that Marshall into a Mesa cab or an Avatar loaded with V30s it's going to sound surprisingly more modern than the 1960b. So I'd consider at least lugging your gear to a shop and A/Bing it with more "modern" amps through some of the same cabinets just to see what you can get from what you have.

Do you have any songs you can point to that have the sound you're looking for?

I suspect most of the early metal was played on Marshalls. Metal has split into a thousand shards since then, many of which have been played on on Mesa (Recto), Peavey (5150/6505), and Orange in recent years... but I'm sure that if you push it hard enough, the DSL can do what you're asking.

I think Fryette makes some awesome amps that can easily do metal. The Deliverance series is probably the cheapest, and if you can deal with a single channel, they're well worth the look.

Good luck on the hunt!

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. TaDaMz

TaDaMz Member

I have been watching 5150/6505's on my local CL. They seem to always be overpriced. Ive noticed there are many different models though, like 6505+ and 5150 II. Whats the difference in these models and which is the best? Which could be had for the least $$$?

8. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Supporting Member

I recently picked up an MI Audio Megalith pedal.
    It turns my classic Marshally amp into a modern metal amp.
    Kinda pricey at $250, but is cheaper than any decent amp, and will turn that DSL into a metal machine. I think you can return it to somewhere like ProGuitarShop if you buy it from them and it ends up not working out for you.

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Supporting Member

This... Or the pedal route.... Add a Wampler Triple Wreck.

10. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

What is your budget?
    How much amp do you want to get?

11. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

If you can't get an awesome Metal tone out of a DSL boosted with an 808 and an EQ in the loop, your doing something very wrong, or the amp is busted.

The Peavey Valveking would be a major "downgrade"

The best budget Metal amp of all time is the Peavey 5150/6505,
    Cheap used.

12. boogieplaya

boogieplaya Member

Totally agree

13. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

^^^ +1 I'm afraid.

It could just be that the DSL isn't to your particular taste but it should certainly do metal, especially boosted with EMG's.

If you do want a new and want a tight tone amp skip the Valveking and get a 5150/6505. The II/+ versions have separate EQ on each channel and sound slightly less aggressive (but still have more than enough gain).

14. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Member

Besides my 2 Mesa's, a Dual and a MKIV, and the old Marshall JCM800/2203 I started out with at 16, all Ive ever used in my band work playing metal and hardcore has been Peavey 5150s and 6505s. They sound great for metal, take pedals well, are almost bullet proof for road use, and are cheap enough to buy a bunch of or find replacements when you need one. I have never found any difference in the sound of 6505 heads or any of my old 5150 heads, if I use the same tubes, and I do- JJs from Eurotubes. I can tame their noticeable hiss with an ISP Decimator noise reduction pedal (it isnt a gate). Besides sounding great for metal the best part is that the amps are fairly inexpensive and there are alot of them out there used. You shouldnt pay more than $6-650 for an in great to better than good condition 5150 EVH block letter model or more than $700 for an Eddie Van Halen signature model, and thats with new or at least still good tubes and maybe even a bias mod added. I have found a few 5150 heads lately for $500 or so from bands changing out their road gear, so theyre out there you just have to look around for them. 6505s are just as good sounding and can be had for pretty cheap too. I use both plus their combo models.

The 6505, head or 60watt 2x12 combo version, is the same amp as the original 5150 (signature or block letter), head or 2x12 combo models. The 6505+ , in head or 1x12 60watt combo version, is the same amp as the regular 6505, original 5150, or 5150II- it just has an extra preamp tube, seperate EQ controls on the amp for the clean and dirty channels, only one input, and its footswitch is the 3 button 7pin type instead of the 2 button stereo cable pedals like all the others use.
    The 5150II basically is just an older precursor version of the 6505+, it came out right about the same time Ed had pulled away from Peavey, then after Ed officially left them they started putting the 5150 out with the new 6505 badging since Ed took the 5150 name with him and also was a way for them to commemorate their 65 years in business, which is why they named the amp 6505. The 6505, 6505+, and 5150II amps all are internally identical to the original 5150, the only difference is the newer amps came from the factory with different tubes than the original 5150s.

The 6505 and 5150 combos do sound slightly different than their head models but plugged into an exterior cabinet and not using the interior speakers really makes them sound alot better. I use them for rehearsals and recording and love their sound as much as I do the head versions.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not very expert on metal, but maybe ore knowledgeable folk could chime in, but the Carvin MTS 3212 I think could do a gret job, and they are inexpensive.

16. Robbgnarly

Robbgnarly Member

^^ The 5150/6505 2x12 is slightly different than the 5150/6505 head and the 5150II/6505+ is different than the 6505+ 1x12.

Another choice besides the 5150 route is look at Jet City JCA 50/100/100hdm. These are budget versions of the Soldano HRA. The 5150 was based off of a Soldano

And I agree I own JCM2000 DSL100 and I run a Bad Monkey and a GFS Greenie (at the same time)as boost's and I can do metal just fine. It also helps to tighten up the lowend

17. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Cheap? Start by trying an EQ pedal.

18. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

The precursor to the 5150 was the VTM-60 and VTM-120. They usually can be found for $350 or so but are harder to find.

There are two basic lineages in Peavey metal tube amps. the VTM>5150>6505 and then you have the other line which (don't quote me here) is the Ultra/JSX/?? (cant remember what they call them now) but yea, both of those lines are great. The Ultra/JSX leg seems to be less prominent than the VTM/5150/6505 leg but they are equally loved, even preferred by many who have used both. I've see the Ultra/JSX amps going for pretty cheap prices over the years (500 or less)

*edit - before someone corrects me here. Yes, the Butcher was the precursor to the VTM. So technically its Butcher/VTM/5150/6505. But the Butcher would not be considered a metal amp in my opinion. Hard rock? yes. Metal? no.

19. Robbgnarly

Robbgnarly Member

I never thought of the VTM as a precursor to the 5150, it was the next in line after the Butcher (the butcher was a JCM 800 clone). The 5150 was made for EVH when he left Soldano, and it was made to be very Soldano-ish in nature.

But you are right about the Ultra/Jsx, but I think the Ultra was based off of the Triumph (not 100%)

20. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

As others have noted, the DSL should be fully capable, especially with EMG's and a boost/overdrive. MANY people use them for metal. Turn the gain up to about 7, turn the mids down to 3 or 4, kick that OD, turn guitar vol to 10, and BANG! Instant metal. You can even have four "channels" if you dial in the OD right.

Clean
    Clean + OD
    Dirty
    Dirty + OD

Other than that, Blackstar and Orange make moderately priced 2 ch. amps with tons of good gain. Dual Terror and HT series. Great reviews on both. I have 'em, I love 'em.