Best Gibson Firebird replacement pickups sounding closest to the 1960's originals

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by echo unit, Jun 22, 2010.

?

Best Gibson Firebird repalcement pickups sounding closest to the 1960's originals

1. Curtis Novak

2. Chris Klein

3. Jason Lollar

4. Seymour Duncan Antiquity

5. Dimarzio 168/198 mini humbucker

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. echo unit

echo unit Member

Here are the people make Firebird repalcement pickups:

Curtis Novak

Chris Klein

Jason Lollar

Dimarzio DP168/198 mini humbucker

Seymour Duncan Antiquities

2. echo unit

echo unit Member

Bump for more replies!

3. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I like Duncan's SM-1s.

Tony

4. echo unit

echo unit Member

Are they better than the Duncan Antiquities?

I hear they are brittle ......is this true

compared to others of course

5. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I don't find them brittle, compared to the Dimarzios, but can't really speak for the others.

Tony

6. echo unit

echo unit Member

People sure are playing favorites with Lollar. Many say that though Lollar pickups sound clear and even, they also don't sound very interesting and have any of the character that people love in pickups.

7. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Gold Supporting Member

Ahem! Once again a post about Firebirds without designating reverse or non reverse?That would change the discussion a bit.Are we talking mini hums or p 90's?
    The antiquity mini hums sound just like Johnny Winter or Kal David.Haven't tried Lollar or the others.Don't feel the need with the Antiquities.

8. echo unit

echo unit Member

I am talking about a 2009 Firebird V that I am looking for replacement pickups for.

I want organic singing natural tone with lots of character and harmonic overtones that sing.

This would be like the original Firebird V pickups from the early 1960's from what my research tells me.

I think I might give Curtis Novak and Chris Klein a shot.

The Lollars are supposed to be an "improved" version of the Firebird pickup and cleaner with less of the Gibson warts that give the vintage pickups that unique character.

The antiquities might be good but I am not really interested in putting pickups that look beaten to death on an otherwise new looking instrument!

9. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

This sort of begs the question-what do 60s Firebird minihums sound like- they can vary.

10. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

11. echo unit

echo unit Member

2009 Firebird V is the guitar I am looking for replacement pickups for.

I want organic singing natural tone with lots of character and harmonic overtones that sing.

Apparently the neck pickup in the original Firebird V from the 1960's have this quality.

12. echo unit

echo unit Member

bump

13. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Member

14. paul1122

paul1122 Member

I use a Lollar mini in my Tele. Outrageous

15. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

Part of the problem is that you're not asking who has had experience with original Firebirds. They are one of my favorite guitars and seriously underrated, IMO. That said, if someone only has experience with recent or reissued 'birds, you're not gonna get a really valid answer. They're really not the same pickup at all. Original firebird pickups are the bees knees and I have yet to try anything that sounds the same. They're a wonderful marriage of tele (bridge), strat (neck), and humbucker. Much like a domesticated jungle cat, they can be ultra sweet but always have the ability to eat your face at any moment! :D

16. echo unit

echo unit Member

It looks like the closest thing to the original pickups is what these two guys are offereing:

Curtis Novak

Chris Klein

I have not heard their pickups but they are doing the "made to original spec" approach.

I wonder how the Novak and Klein Firebird pickup offerings compare to the Lollar.

The Lollar pickups may sound great to many who have not tried what Novak and Klein are offering which is supposedly closer to the originals than Lollar's.

Lollar says himself that his pickup designs take off from where originals left off and that he has aimed to "improve" the sound of original vintage pickups with wider frequency response and more even sound accross the strings.

I wonder if doing this loses some of the MOJO of the vintage pickup?

I mean, electric guitars are meant to live in the midrange. They are a midrange voiced instrument. Vintage pickups tend to voice the guitar more in the midrange. More modern desings may open up higher and lower frequencies, making the guitar take up a much larger amount of sonic space but in the context of a band and recording, this is not a good thing.

You want the guitar to live in the mids.

On the other hand, so many people go on about Lollar's firebird pickups that I really do need to hear them.

17. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

MY god man, just buy a set. Any of those guys, if you don't like them just buy the next set and sell what you have they'll retain most of their value even in used form.

Seriously, we can all give you opinions till were blue in the face but in the long run its YOUR guitar, YOUR ears, YOUR hands, YOUR amp and YOUR hopes, dreams and desires. Thats the only way you're going to know for sure.

At this point it feels like were making mountains out of mole hills.

18. echo unit

echo unit Member

Just figured I would exhaust all posibilities with words before I plunk down the cash.

I'm going to try the Lollars, the Novaks and the Kleins. If those don't do it for me then I am going to try the Seymour Duncan Antiquities and if those don't do it for me then I am going to sell the Firebird and buy a motor scooter.

19. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

ah which model scooter?

Grungy :rotflmao

20. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

If they fit I'm thinking either DiMarzio or Duncan. They both make great pickups.